HazelCapulus

Why do you buy frames?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, (NSW)Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

Am I missing something? How exactly is Jordas Golem difficult? 

I started farming him the other day with an unranked Odonata Prime/Imperator Vandal and he died in about 30 seconds. Not even the Juggernaut Behemoth posed a threat because any weapon modded with Hunter Munitions kills him in seconds.

The only thing I disliked about it was the unskippable cutscene.

You're missing about 4 years of patches, balancing and power creep, this guy was released in Update 17 (31 July 2015), which is around the time I'm talking about as most of us old farts did this content when it was released ūüėČ

Archwing nowadays is rather different than it was early in its release and the Juggernaut (which you had to farm to get keys to get to Jordas) isn't exactly the threat he used to be either (Hunter munitions wouldn't even exist for a few more years when this guy was released).

Edited by marelooke

1 minute ago, Cubewano said:

definitely don't do it if you are doing it to avoid an unpleasant experience however, that just promises more of the same in the future. 

Never thought of it this way. That's a good point.

37 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

Generally I'll buy a frame if I feel particularly excited about its design/kit as a mixed bag of letting DE know this is where my interests are at and to let em know I appreciate the job they did with it, they give me something nice I try to give back and what not. 

That said however I do refuse to and will never make a purchase in response to bad designs or to get around an awful grind, even if the core product is something I'm interested in, for similar sentiments. I don't believe in rewarding bad will/practices. 

All in all, buy something if you think it's a worthwhile thing that you'd enjoy and are fairly interested in, otherwise maybe wait it out and see if you just start to naturally lean more one way or the other. Definitely don't buy something if you are doing it to avoid an unpleasant experience however, that just promises more of the same in the future. 

Thanks for the insight. This is a really good point.

I'll admit, I am really interested in Wisp, and seeing all of the people playing her in Hydron just makes me thirst for her kit even harder, but at the same time, the only thing keeping me from getting her immediately is one nitain. Whiiiich is coming soon. I'll be patient. Thanks for the thoughts, you've worded it fantastically. 

• Satisfied 1

1 hour ago, HazelCapulus said:

I'm genuinely curious- To people who buy frames with plat, why do you do it?

I'm not judging, or angry, or irritated- And if you don't buy frames and just want to be hostile, this isn't the thread for you. 

I'm just curious- My general thought process is that buying the frames kinda cheats you out of the fun of acquiring the frame, but then I see stuff like Atlas or Equinox and I shudder.

(Cue the 'I got Equinox in an hour' people) 

I'm mostly just wondering because I'm genuinely wondering if I should just buy Wisp (Because all I need is one nitain) or Baruuk (Because I'm having trouble getting the systems to rank up) at this point.

People (like) hate excessive farm and prefer buying the frame. Plus, buying a frame with plat has benefits: you get the Orokin Reactor for free

Posted (edited)

ones with annoying timegating or rep grinds behind them i just buy (or just ignore them totally) and any frame thats been locked out of reach for my MR0 alt can only be bought so gets bought eventually.  (with more and more stuff getting MR/quest locked tho my incentive to buy for that account diminishes all the time)

Edited by Methanoid

1 hour ago, marelooke said:

You're missing about 4 years of patches, balancing and power creep, this guy was released in Update 17 (31 July 2015), which is around the time I'm talking about as most of us old farts did this content when it was released ūüėČ

Fair enough. It would have helped if you had prefaced your comment with that to begin with. Because from the perspective of someone who has only been playing the game for the past 6 months on Switch, Jordas Golem was a total pushover.

I have bought 3 frames.

Nidus, Harrow, and Khora. The reason...

e65.gif

This is from someone who was perfectly fine farming Ivara, because at least there are other useful items to get from that.

I have, to date, every Frame, and I only ever bought Khora.

Because after a month and a half of farming Onslaught, I'd still only managed to get ahold of two pieces.

To ease the pain .. after so many years, grinding can get a bit.. ugh.. same with prime frames.. I'm buying those too..

I've farmed every frame except Harrow. At the time I just needed that 1 piece from defection but it wouldn't drop so I just resigned myself to getting it "eventually" however my friend ended up gifting him to me so I would give up lol.

Since I prefer to farm the frames I don't really like it when DE slips in exclusive items in their bundles that either have mega low drop rates like the Bloodshed sigil or can't be farmed any way like the Baruuk mandala (sp?). I grinded the hell out of Profit Taker to get that sigil. So much so that I have enough Crisma toroids to buy a double set of all arcanes sold by Little Duck. 

–¶–ł—ā–į—ā–į

I'm just curious- My general thought process is that buying the frames kinda cheats you out of the fun of acquiring the frame

Yes.

So much fuu-un in running the same mission over and over and over seeing your stockpiles of 3 of its parts growing and being unable to receive 4th you actually need.

Double as fun if its an atrrocious boss fight because its long like the last orb or an awful mission altogether like defection or infested salvage that no one wanst to play yourself included.

That kin of logic with cheating hold any water only for regular warframe aquaried through starchat bosses, mainly. Because youre still new and still gonna defeat bosses and all taht jaz. When youre past 1000 hour in this game, beating that one Orb mother 20th time in a row for no rewards other than a tany chance of one part of a warframe is no longer "fun".

And well fissures killed any remaining interesting engaging farm, when the ydropped many just left the game altogether, plus primes are dirt cheap no, no reason to first farm like a slave for days for relics that 1 dont drop prior to frames release 2 you now need lso farm whatever tah tthing is called to upgrade your relic 3 you now cant use one relic for endless run effectively killing any resemblence of a challenge 34 you now is forced to squat in recruiting chat waiting for 3 more peopel to have teh same exact relics, often the highest tier of it to farm 5 and those high tier are also tied to a limited resource you cant effectively farm or prefarm.

Yeah no I'll pass on that, I better farm other things and buy that prime a week later for less than 100p set.

There are many good reasons for me to buy a frame and/or the accessories that come with it. 

Saving time so I can spend the time to forma the new frame and optimize the builds right away. 

RNG. Sometimes, it can take extra time to grind for one part of it just doesn’t want to drop or the drop rate is low. 

Supporting the developers. I regularly spend money to buy Tennogen items and have bought a lot of Platinum the the past. This helps me progress fast and also helps the developers and the community as well. 

More time to do other contents. If I were to start new, it would take a lot of time to progress to where I am today. I will spend Platinum or real money to speed it up. 

To also acquire accessories that are exclusive parts only in the bundles. There are many good accessories that come only in bundles. To avoid having to spend more plat to get some parts that can’t even be farmed later, I just spend the Platinum or real money to get the whole pack right away. 

I've never bought standard frames, I prefer to play to gain them as intended.  

I have bought full PA three times mostly because my 75% off coupon drop rate is so low it's laughable ( three years before my 1st one) so if I'm paying for plat I may as well have toys with it.  

I bought Sibear but refused to buy Hema on principle and bought Itzal because AW was an arse to farm without it at first.

Im mostly farm frames but I'll buy if I really want it like Revenant or the buy this frame get a free riven from the quest(harrow, gara etc.). Although i did buy the baruuk bundle for the ship decoration, if that wasn't there I would of farmed baruuk.

I bought Ivara, Khora and Harrow.

First off, I can buy frames with ease because I learned how to trade. It must be the most important unwritten need-to-know mastery in the game.

Sanctuary Onslaught (Khora) rotations are supposed to be good for both XP and focus farm. But I got really hooked hunting the Eidolons. I figure it is a far better focus farm with primarily arcane and essential Cetus-centric crafting resources as a reward (the grind was gutted by DE now). I cannot see the point of wasting more time doing SO and therefore had no patience to farm Khora parts.

Now Harrow, I so hate farming Defection because of two things: 1. it is too long and 2. even though you can do it alone, it is so boring you'll be begging for some company. If you look for one, you'll barely see anyone doing it or anybody else asking in Recruit chat. Asking for any clanmates help is also not my cup of tea.

For Ivara, I am probably one of the few impatient Ninjas to tread on the slow-paced spy missions. I do not like the Lua and Grineer (e.g.Sealab) tilesets. I gave up switching between screens comparing what I was doing to online guides and reserved time for it when I am ready. I did try later on and got more comfortable with all the stealth frames I now have jacked up with a well-tuned operator from all the Eidolon hunting that I was doing.

In the end, (it doesn't really matter~) I do not see it as a disadvantage of losing the experience of acquiring them because I was keen on ranking up the mastery ladder for all its benefits. I like to know how to play their kit and use them asap. Practically, it was worth all the platinum spent since I got it selling off the market by playing the content I like to play. It was all the XP farm I needed and enjoy doing, no regrets at all.

Grinding all standard frames, but have bought one part of Frost Prime (vaulted), Oberon Prime (Vaulted), and Saryn Prime in a weak moment.Both vaulted i believe. Also quite tempted to get Helios prime (vaulted). And vectis prime (vaulted). Sometimes you hear how good certain vaulted items are, and you then think if you really want it (especially if your missing one part as in my case Oberon prime systems). 

Posted (edited)

I buy them when I don't feel like farming that particular frame. I check up on what the farm process is, and then make the call. It's not particularly consistent because a lot of it depends on how I feel about the specific tasks. For example:

• I farmed Nidus, but bought Harrow. I really don't like Defection, I certainly wasn't going to grind it for the harrow drop.
  • I farmed Hildryn, but bought Wisp. After many Exploiter runs, I just didn't feel like farming another boss for frame drops.¬†

Recently, since DE has minimized or eliminated frame quests and just made parts drop from various activities, I see much less point in the process of farming new frames. There's no story to learn or events to watch unfold. It's just "kill boss, get part" or "go to rotation C, repeat" (or in Baruuk's case, "earn rep, buy frame"). Might as well buy the frame and level it in Hydron, and then go do the same stuff I was going to do anyway. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

Posted (edited)

I bought nidus harrow and baruuk because there was a 0% I was gonna farm them dude all the ways to farm them are as bad as each other

also because market discounts

Edited by (PS4)thecoolman575

I've only bought a couple of Prime frames.

For me it depends on two things; accessories, and if I'm currently burnt out on farming/cracking relics for other stuff. Sometimes it feels like that's all I'm doing, either for specific stuff or random crap for Baro, which is no fun.

All the vanilla frames however have been farmed, except for Garuda which I only bought for the bloodshed sigil and the Syandana. It's just Harrow and Chroma left which both are missing one component each. Wisp is building already. 

As a working "professional" I only buy the Prime frames, they are usually between 100-200 plat and in my eyes they are worth it.  Im not wasting my gaming time chasing down relics and praying to the RNG gods.  

Posted (edited)

Plat is easier to farm. I get frustrated getting the same part over and over and none of the other parts. It's a complete waste of time.

Needless to say, I will probably end up buying wisp since it's the only frame I don't have atm.

Edited by kreep2.0

Posted (edited)

I've only bought Nidus. I ran Salvage a few times and already came to hate it, then I took a look at the drop rates and decided that I'd rather just grind Relics and buy the damn thing.

Edited by Pr1A
  • Like 1

I've actually regretted buying frames before, even prime ones.

I was new to the game so I was excited to get as many primes as possible and the ones I really like I would buy it.

But now I just farm them, no matter how long it takes.

5 hours ago, marelooke said:

Archwing nowadays is rather different than it was early in its release and the Juggernaut (which you had to farm to get keys to get to Jordas) isn't exactly the threat he used to be either (Hunter munitions wouldn't even exist for a few more years when this guy was released).

Not even that. I farmed Atlas on release and had absolutely no difficulty with it. Though I did actually enjoy Archwing, so there was already a max-forma Velocitus and Odonata Prime to make things easy. Juggy himself died pretty quickly from a sanctigris blast to the stomach, no special mods needed.

Back on topic, I don't buy frames (or any gear, for that matter). Ever. If I can't (or won't) farm it, I simply refuse to touch it.

7 hours ago, HazelCapulus said:

I'm genuinely curious- To people who buy frames with plat, why do you do it?

I'm not judging, or angry, or irritated- And if you don't buy frames and just want to be hostile, this isn't the thread for you. 

I'm just curious- My general thought process is that buying the frames kinda cheats you out of the fun of acquiring the frame, but then I see stuff like Atlas or Equinox and I shudder.

(Cue the 'I got Equinox in an hour' people) 

I'm mostly just wondering because I'm genuinely wondering if I should just buy Wisp (Because all I need is one nitain) or Baruuk (Because I'm having trouble getting the systems to rank up) at this point.

Someone has to pay the devs wages, and people who buy platinum and spend platinum on the market and in trade chat fund the continuing existence of the game, so people who cant or wont pay, still have a game to play.

So buy some platinum and buy Wisp, feel good knowing you are funding the game.

• Applause 2