Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HazelCapulus

Why do you buy frames?

16 minutes ago, (PS4)atpbx said:

Someone has to pay the devs wages, and people who buy platinum and spend platinum on the market and in trade chat fund the continuing existence of the game, so people who cant or wont pay, still have a game to play.

So buy some platinum and buy Wisp, feel good knowing you are funding the game.

This too. I'm never considered myself to be competing with the developers here to somehow "win" over them. They've given me thousands of hours of entertainment; I'm okay with giving them money. 

8 hours ago, HazelCapulus said:

I'm genuinely curious- To people who buy frames with plat, why do you do it?

I'm not judging, or angry, or irritated- And if you don't buy frames and just want to be hostile, this isn't the thread for you. 

I'm just curious- My general thought process is that buying the frames kinda cheats you out of the fun of acquiring the frame, but then I see stuff like Atlas or Equinox and I shudder.

(Cue the 'I got Equinox in an hour' people) 

I'm mostly just wondering because I'm genuinely wondering if I should just buy Wisp (Because all I need is one nitain) or Baruuk (Because I'm having trouble getting the systems to rank up) at this point.

Because I'm lazy with certain things ingame and i have disposable income. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Chaemyerelis said:

Because I'm lazy with certain things ingame and i have disposable income. 🤷‍♂️

/thread

Because if I can choose between fighting another Pokémon which is bugged to high hell and back, and just spending a 20 on some plat and get all the stuff I want, I just throw said 20 at the screen and get some plat.

I bought one frame short after I started simply because I thought the game was worth it and I wanted to decide for myself what my 'starter frame' was going to be. The price was less than what I would typically pay for a game (I like big titles and long games, most my steam library is triple A with 100s of hours of play time). I chose Ivara because she had my name written all over her (I love stealth play), had no idea if she was hard to farm nor did I care. If I didn't think the game was worth that initial investment, I probably wouldn't have played it at all.

I bought Wisp for essentially the same reason (although for less money, since I was lucky enough to get a 50% off coupon the day before her release). The game is worth it, and it's not going to continue to exist if people who can afford it don't support it. Also, I play the game because I enjoy playing it, the fact that I bought Ivara and Wisp doesn't change my enjoyment of doing the missions that will eventually get me all the BPs for them (which happened with Ivara many times over). I often get the feeling the younger generations of gamers don't share my conviction that the enjoyment of a game should come from playing it, not from the reward you get at the end. Then again I'm old enough to remember when 'gaming' meant going out on the street with a bag of marbles looking for other 'gamers', so I'm not exactly representative of the larger population 🙂

I was once a poor student too who had to hope to have enough money left for a hot meal at the end of the month, and I play with people who are saving every dime because their kid is going to be 18 soon and they want to give them a car. I get there are reasons why some people can't or won't afford it. But I can and have the budget for it. I get 100s of hours of entertainment out of it - compared to the price of a book, a film or a music album, computer games are still extremely cheap. Compared to other games it's cheap too, for a typical triple A title I would pay 40-60 euro purchase, plus regular DLC purchases or a monthly subscription, plus anything I decide to spend on cosmetics. WF has turned out to be a cheaper game than many of the big title I played before and left for it, and every euro I spend turns up as something that increases my enjoyment inside the game, rather than as game/DLC purchases or subscription costs. All in all it's a good deal to me.

for how I see it. Rewards are the only things that push me to try some content or new content at all. It could be all fancy and sh*t but if I instabuy everything new, after I level it I have nothing more to do. Instead trying new content in order to get the new shiny generally is a refreshing experience from the usual routine of relics/eidolon/sortie.

Also I feel much more satisfied to use something I personally built till the last piece instead of simply being handled the thing over.

>Do I have enough spare plat?

>Do I want to play the frame RIGHT AWAY?

>Do I want to support this update?

ticking these boxes if generally how I decide whether i buy or not.

9 hours ago, HazelCapulus said:

I'm genuinely curious- To people who buy frames with plat, why do you do it?

I'm not judging, or angry, or irritated- And if you don't buy frames and just want to be hostile, this isn't the thread for you. 

I'm just curious- My general thought process is that buying the frames kinda cheats you out of the fun of acquiring the frame, but then I see stuff like Atlas or Equinox and I shudder.

(Cue the 'I got Equinox in an hour' people) 

I'm mostly just wondering because I'm genuinely wondering if I should just buy Wisp (Because all I need is one nitain) or Baruuk (Because I'm having trouble getting the systems to rank up) at this point.

The decision to buy a Warframe is based on a combination of things.

• Emotional state
    • If I'm in a foul mood, I'm more likely to buy a Warframe because I don't want to deal with running boss's solo (even on Public, it feels like solo because no one talks and the mission goes so fast, there's no point in talking) or putting together a team
  • Plat availability
    • If I have a decent stash of plat and I know no one on my friends list or clan list is wanting anything
  • Social environment
    • If I have a group of people who want to farm the boss, who will talk in group, clan, alliance, DC or even Discord voice, I'm far more likely to grind it out
  • Insomnia
    • Yeeeeah, if I don't sleep, I have a very "ahahahahahahaha-plat is meaningless, I can buy more" mind set.  (shoves the 30 Kubrow starter pack receipts further back into the desk drawer)

Atlas, I ground out.  I had someone playing with me that made the grind more enjoyable, so I was willing to put up with it.  

Equinox, I bought.  Everyone I knew looked at the build requirements, said "nope" and began obtaining plat via purchase or trade and didn't touch that grind.

As to being cheated out of an experience; eehhhh... I can see that but at the same time, I'm going to be running the bosses regardless.  My clan helps players a lot, so we run the same star chart missions, a lot.  I wont be running those missions to get the parts for myself, so in some ways that improves my enjoyment of them because I don't give myself stress over trying to get that one single part so I can move on to something else.

Buying or grinding, neither is bad.  It's just a matter of being aware of how it impacts your enjoyment and what you want to do about it.

Octavia, Equinox, Mesa and Baruuk are worth buying outright, rest are much easier to farm.

I've only bought Harrow as I couldn't face defection after two 7 hour runs during the event. I almost bought Khora as her last part took weeks but in the end I got it before I got a 75% discount. Other than that I prefer to farm as most frames I've been lucky with (Equinox was over 100 runs mind)

22 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

The decision to buy a Warframe is based on a combination of things.

• Emotional state
    • If I'm in a foul mood, I'm more likely to buy a Warframe because I don't want to deal with running boss's solo (even on Public, it feels like solo because no one talks and the mission goes so fast, there's no point in talking) or putting together a team
  • Plat availability
    • If I have a decent stash of plat and I know no one on my friends list or clan list is wanting anything
  • Social environment
    • If I have a group of people who want to farm the boss, who will talk in group, clan, alliance, DC or even Discord voice, I'm far more likely to grind it out
  • Insomnia
    • Yeeeeah, if I don't sleep, I have a very "ahahahahahahaha-plat is meaningless, I can buy more" mind set.  (shoves the 30 Kubrow starter pack receipts further back into the desk drawer)

Atlas, I ground out.  I had someone playing with me that made the grind more enjoyable, so I was willing to put up with it.  

Equinox, I bought.  Everyone I knew looked at the build requirements, said "nope" and began obtaining plat via purchase or trade and didn't touch that grind.

As to being cheated out of an experience; eehhhh... I can see that but at the same time, I'm going to be running the bosses regardless.  My clan helps players a lot, so we run the same star chart missions, a lot.  I wont be running those missions to get the parts for myself, so in some ways that improves my enjoyment of them because I don't give myself stress over trying to get that one single part so I can move on to something else.

Buying or grinding, neither is bad.  It's just a matter of being aware of how it impacts your enjoyment and what you want to do about it.

^^^This pretty much sums up my reasons as well.  I will also add to this list time to play vs other options.  😁 

27 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

^^^This pretty much sums up my reasons as well.  I will also add to this list time to play vs other options.  😁 

I considered adding in time constraints but, I've been here for 5 years and they've never pulled a Warframe from circulation (Primes don't count in this instance) so I never felt pressured to obtain it in a set amount of time, and with the amount of money I've already spent, it's not like I'm leaving the game anytime soon.

I make a good living

I want to support this group of developers and hope they continue making the game

I don’t like waiting for forma or catalysts if I want to move forward in the game

I haven’t been successful at getting certain items after some effort so I buy them 

There are a select few frames I've bought; Khora, Garuda, and Wisp. All three of them were instant buys, because the moment I saw their initial design it was love at first sight. All three of them also had abilities that appealed to me, especially Garuda. Buying Khora and Garuda also seemed to spare me from a tedious grind in order to get them. There has been no regret buying them, for they as I suspected became instant favourites. 

Mostly just impatience or if I get a coupon. I’ve purchased Valkyr with a 75% off coupon and Loki because I wanted to play around with invisibility and Ivara was becoming too much of a grind. 

14 hours ago, BloodKitten said:

well, tennogen cost real money and not platinum, so thats the main reason, dont want some idiotic person reporting me for hoarding plat and ruining the market by not sharing it (cause aperrently people are that childish and dont understand people can spend or save thier currency if they wish)

did I miss the memo on getting the Frames when you get TennoGen?

Cuz that would be a selling point for me....or is this a PC only thing?

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Dishinshoryuken said:

did I miss the memo on getting the Frames when you get TennoGen?

Cuz that would be a selling point for me....or is this a PC only thing?

on pc, tennogen cost between 5-7$ in real currency, operator crap cost around 2-3$ per item, weapon skins also cost around 5$, since the tennogen creators need to get payed, that money is being split between, them, DE and steam, since creators use the steam workshop to submit thier skins, i would guess it could be the reason why not all of the tennogen items are on the consoles, since actuall money is likely better then virtual currency and support them (also the fact DE need to set a contract with the creators per platform and its up to the creator if they want thier skin to be available on a console)

• I'm lazy
  • I'm patient enough to wait for 50-75% coupons
  • The grind to get the latest non-prime 'frames without plat has become increasingly hellish over the years

The last non-prime warframe I truly ground for was Ivara, and I've been buying them since.

6 hours ago, MagPrime said:

I considered adding in time constraints but, I've been here for 5 years and they've never pulled a Warframe from circulation (Primes don't count in this instance) so I never felt pressured to obtain it in a set amount of time, and with the amount of money I've already spent, it's not like I'm leaving the game anytime soon.

I meant "Time enjoying the game" vs "Time spent grinding to later enjoy the game".  😁  Why else do you think I bought Ivara when I first started instead of waiting until I could farm her.  Hehe

I simply don't...

I actually bought two vaulted warframes after just missing their unvaulting, and completely regretted it afterwards. Since then i've never bought a Warframe and never will. The only exception i would make would be a Prime Acess, if they didn't cost the equivalent of a Deluxe/Collector's edition for a lot of games (if you buy the frame and the accessories, being that i'd only buy it for the later).
I honestly wouldn't ever pay not to play, and getting new warframes is a major part of the game loop.

i bought Ivara and Harrow
because the grind is not worth it imo.

sometime it easier to get plat and buy the warframe straight away from the market

the warframe you bought from market came with a warframe slots and orokin reactor  that cost 40p for both
also you get to skip the 3 days waiting time which cost 50p to skip

18 hours ago, HazelCapulus said:

This line baffles me.  I don't consider "grinding and fighting the RNG for something I want" to be an experience worth having.  Grinding Spy missions to *maybe* get one piece of Ivara is not an experience I want.  *Using* Ivara to solo a Spy mission and break every box, pickpocket every enemy and leave without ever being seen is an experience I want.  Or if I'm feeling less generous, to Covert Lethality backstab everyone and leave a drifting ship filled with "locked room mystery" corpses.

I didn't grind for Wisp.  I hate fighting the Eidolons or Orb Mothers, and don't really plan to even attempt to fight the Derpalyst.  (Really, who came up with the real name?  Even the devs can't seem to pronounce it.)

I don't play Dark Souls.  But if I ever did, I would absolutely download the "easy mode" mod.  Because I have ZERO interest in playing it "as the devs intended."  I wouldn't be "cheating myself" out of some unique experience.  Because as-released, I'd rate what I've seen of the "experience" of playing Dark Souls right around the same level as removing makeup with a cheese grater.  I don't need to try it to know I hate it.

Got to the fashion frame point where all my plat goes toward more slots and the occasional, "I'll just wait for the parts to build then rush the 3 days"

normally I don't, but if the requirement to get the frame is bullS#&$, I have no qualms buying it

Like, wisp is new and I want it, but I can farm the assasination to get it, so I'm never gonna buy her

but getting a frame like khora is locked behind layers of rng in sanctuary onslaught, which I hate with a passion, so I have no problem buying her, #*!% all that bad grind garbage, I just want a new frame and I'm not playing the hours of repetitive bad rng laced nonsense to be disappointing about not getting the part I need...again