Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HazelCapulus

Why do you buy frames?

im not a dog and im sick of the hoops. is grind fun? yea at times. but when you gate lock behind a time and jump through hoops for grind then yeah ill pass and just buy the frame out right. i still play the story and missions for to see what happens or new things theyve added though. also spending plat on a frame helps out DE more the way i see it.

Reasons I buy frames:

1. They look amazing (design, gameplay etc.) and I just can't wait to play them.
  2. They have have a really long grind to get them, and I'll buy them if they go on sale (I got Ivara during a Darvo Sale).
  3. I want to get into the design discussion and give feedback on the Warframe as soon as possible.
  4. This isn't for buying frames, but for rushing them. I'll Rush my foundry on Warframes because I have a lot of stuff going on during weekdays (job, commitments etc), and if my crafted frame isn't going to ready until Tuesday, I'm mostly going to be waiting a week to really sit down with them. It's worth it to me sometimes to rush a new frame and have the weekend to play it. I'm doing this with Wisp right now.

20 hours ago, HazelCapulus said:

I'm genuinely curious- To people who buy frames with plat, why do you do it?

I'm not judging, or angry, or irritated- And if you don't buy frames and just want to be hostile, this isn't the thread for you. 

I'm just curious- My general thought process is that buying the frames kinda cheats you out of the fun of acquiring the frame, but then I see stuff like Atlas or Equinox and I shudder.

(Cue the 'I got Equinox in an hour' people) 

I'm mostly just wondering because I'm genuinely wondering if I should just buy Wisp (Because all I need is one nitain) or Baruuk (Because I'm having trouble getting the systems to rank up) at this point.

Well, technically I bought my main which was Ash.
Years ago, on PSN Sony had some weird Warframe bundles.
I got the "Be the Ninja" bundle or something, which included Ash, some thrown weapon, & I forgot the ranged weapon it's been awhile.
I got it because Ash looked cool. (He was the first Warframe that didn't look fugly to me back then.)
I had no idea Warframes could be earned for free back then too.

I would later purchase Equinox, Mesa, Nekros, Nidus, & Khora via 75% off Coupons.
Nekros - I was very green, had no idea where he could be farmed.
Mesa - Everyone in game told me she is a PITA to farm due to Mutilist Allad V requiring 3 Coordinates & etc to craft/see.
Equinox - I thought Tyl Regor only dropped Day parts & I had no idea where Night parts dropped.
Nidus - I was new & had no idea what or where the Infested Salvage Mission Node was, I thought it was a special alert of something. So I got him with a 75% off coupon after I gave up trying to find Salvage nodes.
Khora - I got a 75% off coupon, had no idea what to buy with it. She was the only thing worthwhile to buy. I really didn't feel like farming SO much more.
(Of course after I bought her I got all her BPs to drop in a god damn row the very next time I ran SO. So...much....hate...)

Basically, most of my purchases were out of ignorance.
The bulk of my plat purchases were Weapons, because I refused to join Clans/Guilds. I didn't know I could make a 1 man clan.
Once I learned that I began to earn most of my items for free.
Admittedly, I still make purchases when some things are a PITA to get drops for.

Revenant for example. His BPS didn't drop for me for months. So I got him with a 75% Coupon to save myself from the frustration.

If I ever buy Warframes, I only buy em with 75% off coupons because I'm cheap. *shrug*
Haven't bought a frame since Revenant though.
Baruuk isn't worth a damn. So I waited till I could eventually craft him.
Hildryn is like Oberon for me. I could make about 83 Hildryns right now. (Trying to farm Frost Ephemera)
I resent Hildryn BPs atm.

If Prime Frames count...
Most of the Primes I got have been Vaulted & 99% of traders only accept plat so...

So far I'd only bought 2 frames myself, and ironically enough the first frame I bought was around the time I started playing, sometime during or after Ocatavia's anthem came out. I thought the idea of a musical warframe was dope, didn't know how to farm her, so I bought her with plat. Next I bought Nidus...lets just say I was high on the idea of having 1000 plat for once and just did it. I think the main reason some frames are bought though, and im a firm believer of this myself, is that the grind may just be too much for some people. Its how I feel with Hildryn and Baruuk, but I havent bought them. Im tryna get them legit, and if it gets to be too much, I will buy them.

I buy frames because there is literally nothing better to spend plat on. Unlike other games, Warframe doesn't really have a platinum-sink-slot-machine.

I buy Prime Access and Prime Unvault packs because this is 'bout the only way I can support DE and Warframe. As mentioned above, there is very little incentive to spend money on the game so I just promised myself to buy all packs that DE releases.

1 hour ago, Goodwill said:

I buy frames because there is literally nothing better to spend plat on. Unlike other games, Warframe doesn't really have a platinum-sink-slot-machine.

I buy Prime Access and Prime Unvault packs because this is 'bout the only way I can support DE and Warframe. As mentioned above, there is very little incentive to spend money on the game so I just promised myself to buy all packs that DE releases.

That's a good point. 

I’m sure this has already been said, but a lot of newer frames have been locked behind 2 RNG walls or large grind circles. So for me, I’m just lazy. Also, many of the new bundles have cosmetics in them, and can only be obtained with the bundle. 

I've never bought a full frame and never will. Getting 'stuff' is the only point in this game and if you just buy it, you literally have nothing else to strive for.

That said, I've bought a few prime parts of frames I had almost complete, because they were either vaulted and I didn't want to wait a fckn year or more to get a chance to get them, or those that just didn't drop from relics and I was sick of farming.

If regular frame parts were available for buying with plat, would've probably bought Nidus chassis, since it took it a damn full week of farming to drop and it just made me sick of the game for a while.

Now that I've got all primes and almost all weapons mastered, I see no point in spending more time in the game, other than Sorties.

On 2019-05-24 at 6:01 PM, DoomFruit said:

Not even that. I farmed Atlas on release and had absolutely no difficulty with it. Though I did actually enjoy Archwing, so there was already a max-forma Velocitus and Odonata Prime to make things easy. Juggy himself died pretty quickly from a sanctigris blast to the stomach, no special mods needed.

Back on topic, I don't buy frames (or any gear, for that matter). Ever. If I can't (or won't) farm it, I simply refuse to touch it.

There was no way in hell anyone killed Golem in 30seconds on release though.

Whenever it's content I don't feel like doing.  Like, whenever I actually get around to it i'll buy hildryn because I have no interest in doing boss fights.  Might even have to buy wisp too.

On 2019-05-24 at 4:52 AM, HazelCapulus said:

I see stuff like Atlas or Equinox

Well, I bought Equinox back in the day because the farming and building process was way too much.

I usually just buy the prime access every three months.  It's how I contribute and help DE for this awesome f2p game and gives me enough plat to buy all the boosters I need for three months untill the next prime access.  I did break down and buy Ivara though after about a hundred spy missions with only one of her parts. Didnt feel like I missed out on any "fun" there.

1 hour ago, marelooke said:

There was no way in hell anyone killed Golem in 30seconds on release though.

I forget exactly how fast I did kill him, but when I helped a clanmate farm Atlas I distinctly remember them being extremely surprised at how fast my JV raid loadout butchered Jordas. Yes, JV was a few updates after Atlas, but the Velocitus was completely unchanged over that time period and I already had it with a full complement of forma. Likewise, Itzal came out long before Atlas, and I'd most likely have been using that (and as such can very rapidly teleport behind him to shoot).

i bought a bunch of base frames from the market for plat when i started playing because i didn't understand how story progression and frame quests worked. i eventually went back and re-farmed almost all the frames just to say i did.

i haven't bought any frames for plat since then, but i seriously, seriously considered it while i was farming khora, and would've considered it for harrow if i wasn't farming systems with a friend. khora was the most soul-crushing. a game mode with inferior rewards to its big sister ESO, the distribution of rewards into their respective rotations, everything about the farm is designed to demoralize you, it felt like. getting excited for your first khora chassis drop and then several weeks later getting your millionth one on your way to another rot C with no systems or bp.

i got so close to buying khora, but i kept farming out of spite. maybe in the end i only spited myself...hmm...

On 2019-05-25 at 9:16 AM, (PS4)Ch1b1N1njaGam1ng said:

Because I'd rather WILLINGLY INJECT A DIRTY NEEDLE into my arm than farm the parts for Nidus, Harrow and Khora 

nidus isn't too bad. you walk away with a truckton of plastids at the end of a manageable grind. game mode isn't bad either. you can just afk nuke for most of it.

The time between content drops is large enough right now that you can  easily earn 1k plat/month w/o even really trying.  

i did for frames that are extremely annoying/tedious to get, Garuda n all those hoops to  jump through for example... I said fudge that noise.

Huh, good to see this has inspired so much discussion! 😄

This has been a lot of fun to read through, it's cool to see so many peoples' different thoughts and opinions on this subject.

Funnily enough, between posting that and now, I actually got Wisp without buying her, (although I did rush just a little).

That said though, I am extremely close to caving and buying Baruuk with my last bit of plat, because oh my god getting Atmos systems is a headache. And toroids, even when I use my farming Hydroid. 

I usually Buy Prime Access, and Accessories if they are Good, so I have a lot of Extra Plat, and I don't Trade for Rivens. So I usually buy the new bundles with each update. To avoid the Grind, Especially lately with Frames like Hildryn and Wisp (When she comes to PS4)

I buy frames when I have a coupon and a plat to burn, or just buy the collection straight up in some cases if the stuff in it interests me enough as well. It really depends on how badly I want something and if I have a coupon honestly...

I used spare plat to buy Khora and Ivara because DE designed their grind be absurd in order to drive sales. I guess it worked in a way.

I didnt buy frame but :

-i've already buy Sibear (cuz i'm main frost and ice weapon are rare , also cryotic was so boring to get for me)
-I've buy the Fortuna sentinel cuz didnt want to wait since it's very helpfull for fishing and i like fishing.

every other craftable/farmable item was farm/crafted.

So reasons :
-Lazy
-Don't want to wait.

Also i don't realy understand why people buy frame to be honest , i've start the Wisp craft 1 day after update , but yeah , some people don't want to wait 3 day , and it's ok for me since it don't remove me own fun + help DE with their money.