Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Greenfields reward: material shaders

pook-pook

On twitter Space Mom asked what greenfield reward we would add to Warframe - but I'm in a bad timezone so there's no way she'd ever see a response from me.

I think they should add *earnable* materials shaders to the game that we can apply alongside colours. Just like in that other PvE flying-suit game that launched a few months ago had.

Being able to make any part of the warframe the colour we want *and* metallic, or cloth, or rubber, or textured cloth, or whatever, would be really cool.

I doubt it's a complete rebuild. They already have the ability to specify PBR shaders for the parts, and colors for the parts, it's just whether they can let us choose the PBR for the parts.

Edited by pook-pook

And how would this be an ever-green reward?
Unless they were single use.

Because after all I would unlock the few I want and then never need a single one again.

This wouldn't be any more ever-green than rare mods, or articula, or captura scenes.

7 minutes ago, pook-pook said:

doubt it's a complete rebuild.

Look at how long it took for them to give us two energy colors!
Or to separate the energy into emmisives.

It would take a sizeable rework to have inter-changeable shaders and materials.

20 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

And how would this be an ever-green reward?
Unless they were single use.

Because after all I would unlock the few I want and then never need a single one again.

This wouldn't be any more ever-green than rare mods, or articula, or captura scenes.

Look at how long it took for them to give us two energy colors!
Or to separate the energy into emmisives.

It would take a sizeable rework to have inter-changeable shaders and materials.

The request wasn't for evergreen (which you take to mean something that can keep being rewarded), but for greenfield (something not previously done in the game) rewards.

While I am a software developer, with experience in writing games, I don't know the Warframe codebase, and there's certainly enough unknowns. Is it as bad as Zaws not being able to be skinned because of fundamental issues in how Zaws are coded, or is it similar to energy colouring, or is it even simpler?

We don't know. We can't know.

I'm just putting this idea up so they consider it, which apparently y'all think is a bad idea in itself... Neither of you have addressed the actual idea, just pooh-pooh'ed it as "we know it's going to be too hard for them to do". Odd responses.

Edited by pook-pook