Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts From A New Player -The Grind

Bkwrm

I've been playing a bit under a month, and I really like this game.  I've got about 71 hours played, and I'm getting 2 of my friends to play (working on a third).  Here's what I'm noticing though as being the main problems to the point that once my friends hit that wall they are just going to quit probably.  I understand this is a beta so everything can change and some of this is in the works, but that's why I'm throwing my thoughts out there :)

1.  Resources/credits.  Frames aren't really an issue (although the 3 starters should be made fairly easy to craft to break people in like the Cronus does for weapons crafting) since you know which boss to grind to get the rest of of the pieces to make one.  But with the new credit pricing, especially the cost of fusing mods together, things are very hard for new players to keep up with the difficulty spikes.  Unless they enjoy grinding out planets over and over again that early on just to get enough money to make a new rifle and improve their mods a bit.

2.  Mods...  Really just need to make it so specific mod groupings drop in each system and show that to the players ingame.  Like resources.  Rare ones I can understand, but not knowing where to grind to get them just makes it much much more frustrating when you gotten your 30th ammo drum.  Normal players shouldn't be expected to read the wiki, and even then half of that seems guesswork.

3.  Some way of getting reactors and catalysts other than alerts/logins, or have the alerts pop with them more often.  Now I'm hitting level 50+ mobs and I just can barely dent them with my 30 mod points.  Not saying they need to be falling out of the sky, just some other method that people can put effort into and receive one.  You still have to craft them and that should keep people spending their real money to get them as well.

I think that you've got a great game here, just a lot of the balancing seems to be centered at people that have been playing the game for quite awhile and have tons of money or resources.  Not new players.  I understand (real) money needs to be made, but I think you need a bit more carrot first to get them firmly hooked before you start using the stick.  And than cosmetics and new suits and shortcuts can rain down.  But frankly, I'd rather just pay $40-60 for this and get a full game out of it than do free to play with transactions.

My humble 2 cents anyways :)

Yep, all the balancing I've seen is aimed at established players and people who haven't been grinding away that long are now stuck behind a credit wall, with 4 pages of ammo drum and fast hands but still missing mods the old hands class as essential.

DE, please understand that new players are your lifeblood. Balance across the board, not just for 500+ hour players.

I very much support this. I have tried the "new player experience" by taking a Rank 0 Frame with all Rank 0 weapons and NOT using a Catalyst or Potato. Most of my "good mods" are all max rank so I can't use them till the thing is Rank 11 at best, which means I have an advantage. However it's very grindy and I agree about the Credits issue.

Scott said he agrees the New Player Grind is too high and will be looked at. He hinted even that Mods and Weapons will all be put under the knife in a new mod system because as he said the current mod system is in desperate need of a rework. I started WF with 4 friends roughly, now I lead a dead clan and am thinking of leaving it actually despite being the Warlord of it. Warlord of nothing more like it.

By the time a New Player hits Councilor Vey Hek and General Sargus Ruk they should already have at least 1 damage mod, most notably Piercing Hit and probably should be able to obtain ONE free Catalyst and Reactor through a form of achievement, like "beat the first 4 planets" this lets them get a chance to then buff their favorite weapon and tackle the Jupiter to Pluto areas. That is not going to cut DE's "potato" profit so to speak but also will help new players out greatly in advancing forward.

Edited by Estred

Even as part of the older crowd I agree.

When I first started, I found a good gradual move into the game, credits came reasonably well and you bought weapons. Cronus giving you a taste of the intermediate game (where you are crafting gear instead of buying it), being about needing resources to craft stuff while earning enough of those craftable just to keep building as you play.

All focusing you on playing rather than grinding.

I'm fairly new too. Played around 100 hours and I agree newer players have horrible credit problems. I'm constantly out from trying to fuse mods or craft anything. Reading the wiki is basically mandatory for you to have any chance of progressing at a reasonable pace which is not something a game should need. The difficulty spike is pretty high if you haven't read which guns to buy and which mods to get and where. I also agree with the third point. Formas and potatoes are pretty scarce and considering you need formas for...everything there should be a few more places to farm them at.

Joining a clan is a huuuuuge help if you get in with some helpful people. You can get carried to planets and missions that are extremely useful. T3 defense missions from each faction and kappa.

That being said its hard for new players to actually progress and unlock all the planets without being carried by people who have already been there. No one plays those missions any more so it's hard to find teams.

Armour piercing is an essential mod at present, but who drops them now? I've not seen one for weeks - not since the drop 2.0. Mods like this should drop from the first mission - Grineer units commonly on Mercury should drop it. You should certainly be able to get it before Earth! Same with electric damage and heat damage - let the low level enemies of each faction drop the damage mods.

It's either this or rework things so that elemental damage is not a prerequisite to getting past Earth. You think these mods are not necessary to get past there? Fine, now try leveling 3 new weapons on Saturn or higher. No secondary backup max-modded, no 1-hit melee with everything on it for emergencies. I don't doubt you can, but I do doubt you'd enjoy it much.

Damage as a whole - not just armour - needs a rework. "Essential" mods like Serration are rare - and should be! - but they are essential because they are the ONLY way you can cause enough damage with the weapon systems we currently have. Make the base damage of a weapon worthwhile and nerf the hell out of the multishot and base damage multipliers. Make the mods powerful enough to be worth using late in game but not so that they are totally essential to gameplay.