Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need help with optimizing the game

--Q--EXHALER_Wolf

Question

I've played warframe for 498 days on my laptop which I bought a few months before I found out about this game. But recently there were some hardware related problems and the hard drive also failed. So I installed a SSD and sent it to a servicing center for fixing the other issues (screen flickering). Today I reinstalled the game and changed the settings to the lowest possible, but I'm getting max 33fps in windowed mode at 720p. It used to be 60. Also 17fps at fullHD  which was 30 before.

I've tried many things but nothing takes the fps to 60. There are some brief moments where it goes to 60 but goes back to lagging pretty soon. I suspect it's because of 'plugged in, not charging' thing. The graphics card (2GB geforce 940MX) is running on battery I think. Any kind of help will be appreciated. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Should probably put this in players helping players.

It sounds like your laptop is throttling performance so it doesnt overheat (which is the main issue with laptops) donwload something like MSI afterburner, and monitor the temps and the clock speeds of your cpu and gpu, if the heat is high you will definitly need to purchase a laptop cooler.

Also check if you are actually running the game off of the GPU and not the inbuilt graphics as that might be causing the issue as well.

Some steps here on how to do that:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-check-if-my-laptop-is-using-my-GPU-or-my-CPUs-integrated-graphics-for-playing-games

Edited by Sept3var
typo

Another thing you will want to check is power options, see if your graphics card is placed in reduced power. From what it sounds like it is related to power and plugged in. My laptop when not plugged in restricts the card to 30fps. As soon as it's plugged in it's free. You might also want to check if your charger or the port might have been damaged. 

I noticed that after the latest updates there was a Scaling option under Visuals. It was set to scaled instead of native, and it was tanking my performance a bit. I put it on Native and it seems to be back to normal. 

Another thing from the top of my head is to make sure your cooling is on point and look into pumping some more Hz from the CPU. 

15 hours ago, Sept3var said:

Should probably put this in players helping players.

It sounds like your laptop is throttling performance so it doesnt overheat (which is the main issue with laptops) donwload something like MSI afterburner, and monitor the temps and the clock speeds of your cpu and gpu, if the heat is high you will definitly need to purchase a laptop cooler.

Also check if you are actually running the game off of the GPU and not the inbuilt graphics as that might be causing the issue as well.

Some steps here on how to do that:

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-check-if-my-laptop-is-using-my-GPU-or-my-CPUs-integrated-graphics-for-playing-games

I tried msi afterburner and nvidia performance. But no matter what I do, uningine heaven shows that my gpu clock speed and memory speed is set at 405Mhz and temp is around 90 degrees c. Optimizing the game from geforece experience restored the way it used to look before (no white loading screens and starchart or extremely bright void tileset) and brought fps to an almost stable 25 fps (in mission). But not enough for a smooth experience like before.

4 hours ago, EXHALERWolf said:

I tried msi afterburner and nvidia performance. But no matter what I do, uningine heaven shows that my gpu clock speed and memory speed is set at 405Mhz and temp is around 90 degrees c. Optimizing the game from geforece experience restored the way it used to look before (no white loading screens and starchart or extremely bright void tileset) and brought fps to an almost stable 25 fps (in mission). But not enough for a smooth experience like before.

90 degrees is really high, that's what's throttling most probably. Also, bear in mind recent updates to the game also affected performance.

I found the reason I think. The fan is taking air through exhaust and pushing it in the laptop. The stupids at servicing center put the fan backwards. :facepalm:

EDIT: It was actually disconnected. Means the fan wasn't running at all. 10/10 servicing.

Edited by EXHALERWolf