Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update failed. (again.) Some content could not be downloaded... AGAIN. Please delete your cache and spend twelve hours reinstalling the game.

EmberStar

So, this launcher bug has hit me TWICE now with just this update.  Once when the Jovian Concord went live, and again now.  The game downloads nearly everything, (99.999% of the files) and then chokes and dies on the last few megabytes.  It WILL NOT resolve on its own.  And the only way I've found to fix it is to delete the contents of the cache folder and basically reinstall the game.  On my connection, this takes about twelve hours.  (And isn't actually certain to bypass the error.  For the Hildryn update I ultimately had to redownload everything three times.)

Does anyone have ANY idea why it KEEPS doing this, or how to fix it?  Is there even just a way to identify WHICH file is screwing up so I can just delete that ONE and force it to download?

I am way past being tired of this bug.

5 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Does anyone have ANY idea why it KEEPS doing this, or how to fix it?

I don't know what causes this - never had it myself. It might be to do with your hardware/software. I know my virus scanner was 'helping prevent viruses' by automatically deleting things. This bugged some games, never Warframe though. 

What you might find works is just 'tricking' the launcher into thinking it still has the correct files. You would have to make a backup of the entire game folder to do it though, after each successful update. That is a lot of work, but could help you to get around your issue.

3 hours ago, krc473 said:

I don't know what causes this - never had it myself. It might be to do with your hardware/software. I know my virus scanner was 'helping prevent viruses' by automatically deleting things. This bugged some games, never Warframe though. 

What you might find works is just 'tricking' the launcher into thinking it still has the correct files. You would have to make a backup of the entire game folder to do it though, after each successful update. That is a lot of work, but could help you to get around your issue.

I'm sure it's not my antivirus.  Whatever is going wrong is an error specific and unique to the Warframe launcher.

I have no idea what you mean with the second part.  The problem (as near as I can tell) is that one of the files being changed isn't updating properly.  Keeping a backup copy of the existing cache folder probably wouldn't help, because whatever is getting screwed up would just continue to screw up.  I completely deleted the folder when the update hit, because this bug happened then.  It took so long to download (thanks to my ISP deciding that it needed to take down the entire Internet in my area for a day for maintenance because reasons) that both of the first two hotfixes were added before I even finished updating.  Fortunately that didn't seem to screw it up.  But now this hotfix, a tiny little one that barely changed anything, has triggered the bug.

All that resetting to the last "good" version would do is most likely trigger the bug, over and over.  I need to figure out *which* file is getting screwed up, because otherwise the only thing that works is to delete *everything* and force the game to download totally NEW copies from scratch.

Happened to me about 15 times and each time it continued from where it dropped until it was finished. I said (bad word here starts with F, it) just launched the launcher and mowed my lawn. Was done when I came back. 

10 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

All that resetting to the last "good" version would do is most likely trigger the bug, over and over.

That is a possibility, if you assume the issue is your existing files. Once you have it set up try and Verify the files and see.

Next time you have a problem, try and view the launcher logs. That might tell you what the problem was.

• [C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Local]
Edited by krc473

Just now, krc473 said:

Next time you have a problem, try and view the launcher logs. That might tell you what the problem was.

I have.  I have no idea what I'm looking for, or what the problem might look like in the logs.  Looking for [error] doesn't necessarily help, because the logs are often filled with [error] tags that don't seem to actually mean anything.

And I can say with absolute certainty that using Verify does NOT fix whatever is wrong.  I can verify all I want.  Over and over.  The instant I let the launcher actually try to complete the patching process, it'll scan through 99.9% of the download progress and then abort.  Again.  "Optimize" has no effect either.  As I said, the ONLY thing that works is the complete brute force approach of deleting *everything* and forcing it to download the most current versions of all the files.  And since this takes half a day, and could be triggered by even a tiny hotfix, it is not really a good solution.

If it's telling you some files were corrupt i would guess it's youre connection.  I was trying with phone data tether and had used uphigh speed data limit so was moving at15kbps took forever and did this time. 

Paid for net today actually and tech coming in morning to actvate outlets. 

If its not telling you files were corrupt then i dunno 

Best of luck i knoe what is like not able to play.  It's the worst

I'm not getting a corrupt files message.  What I get (more or less *all* that I get) is the "Update failed.  Some content could not be downloaded from our servers.  Please wait and try again." message.  I have a DSL connection, with a hardwired connection to my router.  It's not super fast by modern standards, but there are very few points where I could be getting random errors or interference.  I'm not downloading it over a cell phone or wireless or wi-fi connection.

1 hour ago, EmberStar said:

I have.  I have no idea what I'm looking for, or what the problem might look like in the logs.  Looking for [error] doesn't necessarily help, because the logs are often filled with [error] tags that don't seem to actually mean anything.

Yes, but if you cannot figure it out you can pass the logs on to Support. They should be able to get more from them than you. They might even fix it, or at least give you some ideas on how to avoid it.

51 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Yes, but if you cannot figure it out you can pass the logs on to Support. They should be able to get more from them than you. They might even fix it, or at least give you some ideas on how to avoid it.

And the problem is that Support takes two weeks to a month to respond, and will sometimes waste a couple of days checking off the "did you try making sure the power is turned on?" checklists.  Meanwhile I'm either not playing *at all,* or I've already gone ahead and redownloaded the game (and again, and again.)  And there's a decent chance that the result will be "Well, sorry, but it seems like a 'you' problem and not a general issue.  Good luck, let us know if you figure out how to fix it."

1 hour ago, EmberStar said:

And there's a decent chance that the result will be "Well, sorry, but it seems like a 'you' problem and not a general issue.  Good luck, let us know if you figure out how to fix it."

What you say is true. But, what is your better idea? This does seem like a 'you' problem. Yes, it could well be an interaction between stuff on your PC and the way it downloads. Have you searched the forums for people with the same issue as you? A complete lack of posts tends to indicate that it is not DE's fault (I could not find any of than this one). Software has been known to interfere with stuff for ages - I know some Razor software has been problematic previously. 

• I am assuming your PC meets all the requirements. DX10+ compatibility, 64-bit OS etc. 

You admit that you have no idea what the logs mean. DE would. DE is likely your best bet for figuring out if the logs have something useful in them. Maybe DE could tell you what the problem is, maybe not. But you make out that this has been a significant issue. I would have no problem sending the logs to DE and trying their troubleshooting if it was bothering me as much as this seems to bother you. 

•  You could also post them here and see if anyone can help.

So little information...

Do you use Steam or you just use the launcher?

What's your PC specs and where the game installed?

4 hours ago, EmberStar said:

I'm sure it's not my antivirus.  Whatever is going wrong is an error specific and unique to the Warframe launcher.

Ofc you SURE, you have the grade in IT and has knowledge how antiviruses works.

Google would be more helpful next time... 

if this one won't help you... you can try this link

http://bfy.tw/Novl

Edited by LameoveR

3 minutes ago, LameoveR said:

Ofc you SURE, you have the grade in IT and has knowledge how antiviruses works.

Don't be an idiot.  I don't need a degree in software engineering to know how to determine whether or not my Antivirus is at fault.  The fact that the issue occurs even when the antivirus is completely shut down is a *fairly* good indicator that it's not the primary source of the problem.

Repairing the Visual C++ files had no effect.  One found something that needed to be updated, but the error persists.  The suggestion might help someone, but does not appear to be the problem in my case.

Thank you for the suggestion, although you lose points for being a jerk about it.

And I guess I'm done playing Warframe for a while.  I've redownloaded the entire cache folder.  Twice now since the last hotfix.  And I'm still getting the error.  Since I have never found any other way to fix it, that's basically it then.  There's no reason it should be broken, it's clearly not broken for anyone else, and I have no other options for fixing it.

I have the exact same problem after EVERY single update (even something like 180KB). my solution is to use a VPN and connect from netherlands. it works 100% of the time.

1 hour ago, George_PPS said:

The entire game files are pretty large. Internet connectivity speed and especially quality is important to download the files correctly. You may want to check your bandwidth and also the stability of your Internet connection. 

As I said, it downloads 99.9% of the files, then chokes and fails on the last megabyte.  The problem does not seem to be my connection getting interrupted.  It's screwing up some final internal checksum test, or something.  I have the files.  I've downloaded the files three times now.  The launcher just refuses to FINISH and actually work.

I've tried the VPN "solution" before.  It has no effect on whatever is going wrong for me.  I have no idea why it would work at all, but it definitely does not work for me.

So i have had this happen on my ps4 its NOT a pc only thing. It happened to me once with the Plains remaster. Got the same mssg "updated content couldn't be downloaded plz try again later" along tht line. Rebooting my ps4 fixed it and i didnt have to delete thank god. Not sure this will help but i deff know what u mean and its NOT limited to PC.