Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There's a ton of discussion about the fat frame.

9 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

to come to think about it they said the warframe skin's is hard as steel correct?  They said they have jiggle effect...isn't this a bit breaking the lore which sure fat people jiggle, so does other and other parts of the bodies but again steel skin on steel how that makes sense? 🤔🤨

Springs are made from steel.

Swords that can flex without breaking are usually a really good thing compared to ones that are just plain hard. 

5 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Springs are made from steel.

Swords that can flex without breaking are usually a really good thing compared to ones that are just plain hard. 

Springs are pretty thin for their purpose.

Kuva Guardians don't jiggle anyway. Enough said.

5 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Springs are pretty thin for their purpose.

Kuva Guardians don't jiggle anyway. Enough said.

002837729.jpg

Yes. Thin for its purpose. The skin is millimeters thin. The epidermis is usually even thinner. Are kuva guardians wearing armour or are they like our living warframes? 

23 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

002837729.jpg

Yes. Thin for its purpose. The skin is millimeters thin. The epidermis is usually even thinner. Are kuva guardians wearing armour or are they like our living warframes? 

Compare it to the load that it bears (springs like these usually support very heavy weights in the tonnes category). It is pretty damned thin for that. You are free to try jiggling that under normal gravity conditions with normal strength, not using a crane to bounce a tonne weight on top of a filled shipping container.

Trying to act smart isn't actually going to make you have a higher IQ, just saying.

Edited by Guest

On 2019-05-24 at 6:28 PM, Theoskoom said:

I'm extremely excited for this frame because he's so close to my own body type!!! I've struggled with my weight most of my adult life and it's hard to explain effectively but seeing a powerful character in a game with some extra weight on him (and my favourite game no less) just really has me starstruck.

im glad! Id love to see a continuing trend of different body types for frames, we have hildy now lets get a fem fat frame ! just gotta think of a theme

Now that I think on it, give this guy the prisma cleavers & a color scheme where that gut looks like an apron & we have a dead ringer for Diablos Butcher!

AHHHH FRESH MEAT!

I was sold on this guy before with a godzilla theme alone, now I'm willing to spend plat to get this frame to bring my favorite diablo boss to Warframe!

50 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Compare it to the load that it bears (springs like these usually support very heavy weights in the tonnes category). It is pretty damned thin for that. You are free to try jiggling that under normal gravity conditions with normal strength, not using a crane to bounce a tonne weight on top of a filled shipping container.

Trying to act smart isn't actually going to make you have a higher IQ, just saying.

I agreed with you that it was thin "for its purpose". Maybe if you had actually read what was written you wouldn't be trying to argue about something that agreed with what you said. 

Since we can also agree that the spring pictured would need tonnes of force and looks to be several inches thick we seem to be on roughly the same page. Now... What happens if the diameter of steel used was closer to 2 mm thick? I figure that a light tap would easily set it to wobbling. I suppose that if someone wants to they can Fl/ea it. Off the top of my head I'd say that we're looking at between hundreds and thousands times less force needed to produce the same deformation (I went with a diameter of about 2 inches and 0.5 to 5 mm for the skin you're invited to check the math.) 

By acknowledging that steel springs (and swords that flex without shattering) exist means that we must acknowledge that there are steels which can "jiggle". Handsaws are probably a fairly common example of a common steel lamina being a bit "jiggly" under lower amounts of force. Musical saws take that to an extreme, "jiggling" fast enough to vibrate at hundreds of times per second, with a thickness that one might expect to find in the right range for skin. 

Remember, just being belligerent doesn't help you to win any arguments. Just saying. 🙂

The new frame is an Oni, it's literally in written in the concept art, wouldn't it make more sense to give it a more appropriate name from it's concept instead of focusing on how it looks "fat".

Edited by Orcot

2 hours ago, (NSW)Hatemachine said:

Now that I think on it, give this guy the prisma cleavers & a color scheme where that gut looks like an apron & we have a dead ringer for Diablos Butcher!

AHHHH FRESH MEAT!

I was sold on this guy before with a godzilla theme alone, now I'm willing to spend plat to get this frame to bring my favorite diablo boss to Warframe!

Chef hat, duel cleavers, apron. if he had that I would buy him right off the bat when he comes out

13 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

to come to think about it they said the warframe skin's is hard as steel correct?  They said they have jiggle effect...isn't this a bit breaking the lore which sure fat people jiggle, so does other and other parts of the bodies but again steel skin on steel how that makes sense? 🤔🤨

Hard as steel might not mean as the inflexible as steel. Warframe skin is clearly flexible, it just might be as hard to pierce or cut through as steel armour.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChaoticEdge said:

Hard as steel might not mean as the inflexible as steel. Warframe skin is clearly flexible, it just might be as hard to pierce or cut through as steel armour.

2 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

I agreed with you that it was thin "for its purpose". Maybe if you had actually read what was written you wouldn't be trying to argue about something that agreed with what you said. 

Since we can also agree that the spring pictured would need tonnes of force and looks to be several inches thick we seem to be on roughly the same page. Now... What happens if the diameter of steel used was closer to 2 mm thick? I figure that a light tap would easily set it to wobbling. I suppose that if someone wants to they can Fl/ea it. Off the top of my head I'd say that we're looking at between hundreds and thousands times less force needed to produce the same deformation (I went with a diameter of about 2 inches and 0.5 to 5 mm for the skin you're invited to check the math.) 

By acknowledging that steel springs (and swords that flex without shattering) exist means that we must acknowledge that there are steels which can "jiggle". Handsaws are probably a fairly common example of a common steel lamina being a bit "jiggly" under lower amounts of force. Musical saws take that to an extreme, "jiggling" fast enough to vibrate at hundreds of times per second, with a thickness that one might expect to find in the right range for skin. 

Remember, just being belligerent doesn't help you to win any arguments. Just saying. 🙂

Metal, especially something like steel, is malleable, but not really "springy" unless alloyed in a certain manner and of course, shaped in a certain manner. The stuff like swords, saws etc are specially made with certain preparation methods so they have the same "wobble" (which is a high frequency vibration more than "jiggle physics"). A steel spring of 2mm thick may vibrate, but a steel sheet 2mm thick will not jiggle - it will just bend, like aluminum foil, most likely, unless the impact does not exceed certain limits. Metals sheets and blocks tend to keep their shape when bent. Springs are an exception, not a rule. Also, when a spring vibrates, it does so at very high frequency because it is actually hard - jigging necessitates something soft and deformable, but able to return to its original shape when the pressure is removed.

I would say, do not conflate "vibration"/"flexion" with "jiggling". "jiggling" is a colloquial term used to refer to a very specific kind of vibration.

But if you are talking about armor meant to stop bullets, which is mainly what a Warframe is, given the outer casing has to stop bullets from entering the infested mass inside, it would necessarily require the armor to be very, very hard, or have the capacity to harden to such an extent, so it doesn't deform when a bullet hits it. The thing that saves you in body armor isn't the Kevlar, it's the Ceramic plate that doesn't deform. There is no room for jiggling as we know it in such a setup. Skin would also necessarily behave like a metal foil, not a spring. You are free to try jiggling aluminium foil (or other metal foils if you can afford them). It doesn't jiggle, it folds like paper.

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Metal, especially something like steel, is malleable, but not really "springy" unless alloyed in a certain manner and of course, shaped in a certain manner. The stuff like swords, saws etc are specially made with certain preparation methods so they have the same "wobble" (which is a high frequency vibration more than "jiggle physics"). A steel spring of 2mm thick may vibrate, but a steel sheet 2mm thick will not jiggle - it will just bend, like aluminum foil, most likely, unless the impact does not exceed certain limits. Metals sheets and blocks tend to keep their shape when bent. Springs are an exception, not a rule. Also, when a spring vibrates, it does so at very high frequency because it is actually hard - jigging necessitates something soft and deformable, but able to return to its original shape when the pressure is removed.

I would say, do not conflate "vibration"/"flexion" with "jiggling". "jiggling" is a colloquial term used to refer to a very specific kind of vibration.

But if you are talking about armor meant to stop bullets, which is mainly what a Warframe is, given the outer casing has to stop bullets from entering the infested mass inside, it would necessarily require the armor to be very, very hard, or have the capacity to harden to such an extent, so it doesn't deform when a bullet hits it. The thing that saves you in body armor isn't the Kevlar, it's the Ceramic plate that doesn't deform. There is no room for jiggling as we know it in such a setup. Skin would also necessarily behave like a metal foil, not a spring. You are free to try jiggling aluminium foil (or other metal foils if you can afford them). It doesn't jiggle, it folds like paper.

So very much wrong with this. Let's stick with the last paragraph since it's closest to what's relevant. 

You're say that metal sheets don't jiggle. Unfortunately thundersheets are, and have been a thing for a very long time. One of the ways they're used is by shaking them. When shaken they tend to wobble, not fold, which is something that you are free to try for yourself. 

The other thing of value is that you mentioned alloys, which indicates that you are aware that the composition and properties of the metals can differ as needed. We currently have some materials that show significantly different properties when exposed to different types of forces. Pressing slowly will allow easy deformation, pressing rapidly causes hardening. One example you can make at home is cornstarch in water. Another interesting group of materials are the memory metals, which can be deformed and return to shape upon application of the correct stimulus. Yet another is what are called ferrofluids which can go from highly fluid to nearly any immobile on application of a magnetic field. This suggests that there are several ways that the warframe could develop that bulletproofing which would be important to them. 

Since we have materials in game that behave very differently from our current real world analogues, and only a vague idea of what materials are in the warframes, there's no way for us to say what type of alloy that "sword steel skin" is made from or what properties it would have.

Looks like your protests might not be as final as you seem to be thinking.