Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is This Even?

T.E.M.P.E.S.T

I've been trying desperately to understand what the hell is with the way DE is operating these weapon variants they have implemented.

So I'll have a crazy conversation with myself and give you guys a look into my mind, so hopfully you can help me understand what's happening with this.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

So new player what do you think when i say primes?

"Oh I get it thats easy, you get them from doing hard missions in the void right?"

Most of them.

"Most of them?"

Yes some of them can be acquired by funding the company during our early stages.

"Ah I get it, that makes sense, I mean a F2P game dev has to eat right? I still dont see why you didn't make a weapon/frame variant for exclusive deals and events."

Thats what Vandals are for.

"Vandals? then why weren't the things you selling vandals back then?"

Back then?

"During your early stages."

Oh that offers still on.

"Wait, what? Then why haven't you made it so the ones included in the deal are Vandal versions of the weapons and warframes as well/instead?"

"No answer?"

...We have Wraiths as well.

*sigh* "How do you get those?"

Events as well.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Feel free to correct me on crap, just trying to understand DE's grasp on this system they've come up with.

What is DE doing can someone please help me understand?

Primes - Limited to Founders or Orokin Void

Vandals/Wraiths - Improved/Limited Edition Weaponry

There, understandable?

Not really, my point is trying to understand why they had to bring Wraiths into the equation in the first place, and why they didn't make Primes separate to the buyable variant of thing, it's almost as if it's random.

Not really, my point is trying to understand why they had to bring Wraiths into the equation in the first place, and why they didn't make Primes separate to the buyable variant of thing, it's almost as if it's random.

Wraith because Vandal's are only for Lotus weaponry. Strun is a Grineer weapon. As for making primes purchasable... It's a marketing thing.

The Vandals were originally marks of being in the CBT, but not it leans into meaning event-only item variations, along with Wraith. Prime specifically means the Orokin original version, but in gameplay terms is split between founders gear and Void obtainable items.  Presumably, the later is due to some Orokin reward being necessary for the Orokin levels, though the former seems to be a bit of unnecessary conflation of ideas.

In short, Prime is a specific term for original Orokin variations of things. Vandal and Wraith are admittedly not as well defined in-game or out, but they both seem to mean limited-time weapons.

But really, this isn't that incomprehensible compared to some other game concepts.

Some of it is just outdated.

They've been slowly trying to work weapon tiers into the game. A lot of really old weapons are behind the times so they tend to be somewhere between awful and mediocre.

Not to mention lore getting a bit goofy on explaining where it all comes from.

Like Braton. Braton is a Tenno built weapon that mimics the Orokin version of the same gun. It is based on the Braton Prime - but built with different tech so is really kinda knockoff brand. They are simply easy to produce, trustworthy guns.

Same for weapons like Bronco. Guns like the Soma are built by Tenno, for Tenno. It is an original design, not based on Orokin tech or otherwise.

That 'Corpus' text people like to point out isn't actually a language specific to the Corpus. The Tenno presumably use the same written language as the Corpus. The Grineer have their own language.

So it isn't 'Corpus' text. It is just the written language that 2/3rds of the system uses.

The Vandals were originally marks of being in the CBT, but not it leans into meaning event-only item variations, along with Wraith. Prime specifically means the Orokin original version, but in gameplay terms is split between founders gear and Void obtainable items.  Presumably, the later is due to some Orokin reward being necessary for the Orokin levels, though the former seems to be a bit of unnecessary conflation of ideas.

In short, Prime is a specific term for original Orokin variations of things. Vandal and Wraith are admittedly not as well defined in-game or out, but they both seem to mean limited-time weapons.

But really, this isn't that incomprehensible compared to some other game concepts.

Ah i see this helps me understand a bit more thank you. but it overall seems that DE does not know what it is doing in regards to Wraith and Vandal Weaponry.

Snipetron used to be a corpus weapon, until they removed it because it did not fit with corpus lore. Aparantly, it's become a Tenno(or Lotus) weapon. Snipetron work differently from Lanka.

Clearly, there is Corpus writing on both the Braton and Snipetron. Crewmen used to use Bratons and Snipers used to use Snipetrons. It's safe to assume that the Corpus acquired the BP for the B.Prime and managed to make the Braton out of it. If Snipetron ever gets a Prime, the same can be said for it.

Braton and Snipetron are both standard weapons used by typical Tenno, but I think they're outdated Corpus weapons. The Corpus have moved on to lasers, and we managed to acquire the BPs for these weapons.

As for Vandals, I think it's just a term for Lotus-customized standard weapons given to veterans or outstanding Tenno. Braton, Lato, Snipetron and Strun are all very simple kinds of guns. It's not hard to understand.

EDIT:

Tier 1 basic weapon --> Used by average Tenno. Sold in market or crafted.

Tier 2 Vandal/Wraith --> Upgraded Tenno guns given to veterans or outstanding soldiers. (events or CBTesters)

Tier 3 Prime weapon --> Original Orokin form of basic weapons given to the most dedicated. ($$$ or Void players)

Edited by AlchemistMute

So what's with the damage model in regards to each type? the one Wraith we have is superior in all aspects to its original, all vandals are stronger than their normal counterparts in minor ways for the most part, but with Prime weapon it's strange, some weapons were or are exactly the same in contrast to their regular counterparts were as some are Weaker (looking at you Orthos and Reaper Prime)

Edited by T.E.M.P.E.S.T

Clearly, there is Corpus writing on both the Braton and Snipetron. Crewmen used to use Bratons and Snipers used to use Snipetrons. It's safe to assume that the Corpus acquired the BP for the B.Prime and managed to make the Braton out of it. If Snipetron ever gets a Prime, the same can be said for it.

Braton and Snipetron are both standard weapons used by typical Tenno, but I think they're outdated Corpus weapons. The Corpus have moved on to lasers, and we managed to acquire the BPs for these weapons.

As for Vandals, I think it's just a term for Lotus-customized standard weapons given to veterans or outstanding Tenno. Braton, Lato, Snipetron and Strun are all very simple kinds of guns. It's not hard to understand.

Well... They did use them back during U6. When I started to play.

The justification is that these weapons have had very particular modifications made to that. 'Vandal' or 'Wraith' are just cute nicknames in this situation. The manufacturers making these guns have put more powerful tech into these weapons to unlock new heights. They aren't what you'd find in the hands of a simple foot soldier. They are the weapons meant for the hands of the best.

When Vandals first came into being it was mentioned that it was safe to consider a Vandal weapon something the Tenno have 'tricked out' to suit their needs. It is a Braton or Lato with better parts.

That logic still works. The same guns you love, but made up of better parts.

So what's with the damage model in regards to each type? the one Wraith we have is superior in all aspects to its original, all vandals are stronger than their normal counterparts in minor ways for the most part, but with Prime weapon it's strange, some weapons were or are exactly the same in contrast to their regular counterparts were as some are stronger (looking at you Orthos and Reaper Prime)

prime version of weapons are the prototype version of our weapons. The normal weapons we use are mass produced from their primed counterpart

prime version of weapons are the prototype version of our weapons. The normal weapons we use are mass produced from their primed counterpart

Prototype isn't quite the right word.

Braton is an Orokin gun, the three factions refer to them as Primes because of their superior craftsmanship. The Bratons that are mass produced are built as closely as possible to that gun while still being cost efficient, since the technology available to the factions in Warframe isn't as insane as the Orokin had.

That 'Corpus' text people like to point out isn't actually a language specific to the Corpus. The Tenno presumably use the same written language as the Corpus. The Grineer have their own language.

So it isn't 'Corpus' text. It is just the written language that 2/3rds of the system uses.

Fairly sure it is Corpus text. Tenno writing is ingame, described by a dev in the Lore thread as 'often mistaken for a decorative pattern at first glance' or something along those lines. Which seems to point to the patterns on Loki's thigh and Excal's helmet etcetera as being said Tenno script.

Fairly sure it is Corpus text. Tenno writing is ingame, described by a dev in the Lore thread as 'often mistaken for a decorative pattern at first glance' or something along those lines. Which seems to point to the patterns on Loki's thigh and Excal's helmet etcetera as being said Tenno script.

Considering all the changes made to the game, I've come to consider what we would recognize as the Tenno language as more like Calligraphy. 

Besides - consider the nature of the Tenno. The idea that they understand and can use all of the systems languages isn't a stretch. We regularly access Grineer and Corpus systems. 

Considering all the changes made to the game, I've come to consider what we would recognize as the Tenno language as more like Calligraphy. 

Besides - consider the nature of the Tenno. The idea that they understand and can use all of the systems languages isn't a stretch. We regularly access Grineer and Corpus systems. 

The lore is so undeveloped that at this point, you are as right as anyone could be. 

Although, I still want to know what is written on the Warframes. 

Strun is a Grineer weapon.

It's actually most likely a Tenno weapon.  Both the Strun and the Boar have the same flowing "script" on them as the other Tenno weapons and the Warframes.

Braton is a Tenno built weapon that mimics the Orokin version of the same gun.

Same for weapons like Bronco. Guns like the Soma are built by Tenno, for Tenno. It is an original design, not based on Orokin tech or otherwise.

You are presuming an awful lot.  What about the flowing script that we see all over the Tenno weapons and the Warframes?  I would argue that the "Roman" script "belongs" to the Corpus and we just don't know enough about the Tenno writing system to decipher it yet.

Edit: I like to think of the Bratons and Snipetrons as Corpus legacy or export armaments that they don't actually use (anymore).

Edited by Apsalus

So what's with the damage model in regards to each type? the one Wraith we have is superior in all aspects to its original, all vandals are stronger than their normal counterparts in minor ways for the most part, but with Prime weapon it's strange, some weapons were or are exactly the same in contrast to their regular counterparts were as some are Weaker (looking at you Orthos and Reaper Prime)

Orthos Prime is considerably better than regular Orthos. It has about 1.5x the reach of Orthos as well as stagger on hit and a higher base damage. Reaper Prime is based off the Ether Reaper, the new scythe that was just released. I cant tell you much about it though as I dont know much about the Reapers.

I was under the impression that Vandal weapons are Corpus-produced weapons, that have been customized and thus "vandalized" by the Tenno.

In regards to Wraith weapons, my personal theory is that...brace yourselves...

they've been customized by the Stalker.  

Seriously, it makes sense.  The Red and Black color scheme matches, the one example we've seen so far is vastly more powerful than its normal variant, and the naming scheme fits with how the Stalker suddenly appears and attacks before disappearing again.

Edited by Zadier