Tigercardell

Wisp Energy Conversion Bugged.

Wisp's motes do not receive any bonus from energy conversion being active, even though the charge is consumed on cast.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Did you have non-buffed mote on you, get EC buff, cast a new Reservoir and doesn't get the buffed value by any chance?

The way it work right now is that picking up the mote will only refresh the duration instead of giving you a new mote. You have to get rid of the weaker mote first if you want a buffed mote.

Edited by AhLiu338

il y a 14 minutes, AhLiu338 a dit :

Did you have non-buffed mote on you, get EC buff, cast a new Reservoir and doesn't get the buffed value by any chance?

The way it work right now is that picking up the mote will only refresh the duration instead of giving you a new mote. You have to get rid of the weaker mote first if you want a buffed mote.

Nope, no old mote on. I was aware of that interaction while testing.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Actually they do, but in a very strange way. Try the following:

1. Cast Reservoir and remember the number without energy orb.

2. Let the buff run out.

3. Collect an energy orb and regain the buff from the very same reservoir (NO recast).

You will see two different numbers. I really hope this is unintended behaviour...

Edit: Also works in the same way with Nidus and Equinox strength buffs

Edited by Zakor11

44 minutes ago, Zakor11 said:

2. Let the buff run out.

3. Collect an energy orb and regain the buff from the very same reservoir (NO recast).

You will see two different numbers. I really hope this is unintended behaviour...

Huh, That is very strange. Thanks for the info, hopefully it will be fixed

On 2019-05-25 at 2:02 PM, Zakor11 said:

2. Let the buff run out.

This is definitely a bug. Every major patch comes with a bevy of bugs for them to smash out. I hope the next hotfix has the fix in it. Already forma'd my Wisp for EC use.

Posted (edited)

I just found out that Pax Bolt(+Ability Strength/Effi. on head kill) works the same way Energy Conversion does too. 

It does not put down buffed Reservoirs, but only when you grab a mote while the effect of Pax Bolt is active will the ability strength of the mote go up.

Edited by XyzKiller

I think it's because the buff amount and duration are calculated at time of mote pickup. So if Wisp has just picked up an orb, it will take her energy conversion into account when giving that mote. They just need to change it to calculate upon ability activation instead.

Ya, the implementation of this is likely an over site.  You only get the benefit of the buff when you have the orb active an walk into the reservoir.  Having to wait for the reservoir to expire first and have an orb active makes the game-play  a hassle.  Unless this is addressed I can't bring myself to use this mod.  A shame since I really want to get rid of blind rage from my build.

25.06.2019 - Energy Conversion still doesn't work properly. You have to apply method, which was mentioned by @Zakor11 - not a fan if you ask me. Did we get any official update on that?

I actually support it working this way and hope it doesn't get changed.

If changed to how most other abilities work, that means that I'd need to have Energy Conversion active for each node I put down.  So a new energy orb each cast.  This would limit how often I could drop them rather extremely; especially if I'm also trying to coordinate that to when I have Growing Power or such active.  The hope would then be that new Reservoirs would just refresh duration, not override the buff, and I'd just always have to make sure to cast new nodes whenever they were dwindling.
Similar to my Chroma build; it would be difficult to start up, followed by duration maintenance.

The problem is that the rest of my team would have to do the exact same thing:  Stick around and get the boosted buffs from the first node, and then make sure that timer virtually never ran out by hopping to new nodes.
Coordination like that doesn't happen very often in my experience, and teammates are bound to lose the buff one way or another, forcing them to (likely) use a lesser buff or wait around while I set up the boosted nodes again.  Optionally I could just avoid ever putting down more than six nodes, allowing my team to trek to wherever the boosted Reservoirs were in order to get the better buff and then run back, but that heavily limits my placement of nodes.  Cumbersome for all.  (Except for people who only use one type of Reservoir.  They probably wouldn't have much issue.)

How it works now means that I can drop my nodes whenever, wherever, and just wait a minute/fall off a cliff/step into a nullifier and then, assuming I have the Energy Conversion buff active, get the boosted buff.  Same goes for my teammates.  As I, and most Wisp players I've seen, tend to not use many abilities outside of Reservoir, the majority of the match will see me packing around an unused Energy Conversion buff, so my squad will have a decently high chance of getting the boosted buffs by stepping into any Reservoir.
Yes, there is a chance that they step into a lesser Reservoir and manage to pack that sub-par buff around; but I've rarely seen that happen for long, drawn-out missions where the bigger buff would be greatly appreciated.

Even just in terms of getting all 3 buffs boosted on myself, I feel like this current system is easier:

Requirements for "usual" system:
1.  Pick up energy orb.
2.  Place Reservoir.
3.  Pick up energy orb.
4.  Place Reservoir.
5.  Pick up energy orb.
6.  Place Reservoir.
7.  Repeat 1-6 each time you need to replace boosted Reservoirs, IE:  You were knocked down and couldn't refresh duration in time, you fell/were knocked off a cliff, stepped in a nullifier bubble, where hit by the wrong Combra unit, your boosted Reservoirs were destroyed, ect.

Requirements for current system:
1.  Place all 3 Reservoirs.
2.  Pick up an energy orb while waiting outside of Reservoir range until buff expires (no more than 90 seconds with absolute maximum duration; more likely something closer to 40 seconds).
3.  Step in range of any of your Reservoirs.
In case of your buff being removed (IE:  You were knocked down and couldn't refresh duration in time, you fell/were knocked off a cliff, stepped in a nullifier bubble, where hit by the wrong Combra unit, ect.):
4.  Check if you have an active Energy conversion buff; if not, pick up an energy orb.
5.  Step in range of any of your Reservoirs.

The same steps can be applied for Pax Bolt, just swapping out "pick up energy orb" with "get a headshot kill."  Growing Power lasts long enough to drop all 3 nodes, so it doesn't follow the steps.

And, yes, there's an argument to be made that you would only have to drop the Health and Speed Reservoirs since the Shock one does virtually no damage, but I'd still argue that the current system is less of a headache.
Someone might also argue that, if you're using Wisp's abilities frequently, the "usual" system works better for your teammates.  In reality, it would work similar as they'd need to get the higher buff from a boosted node and then maintain it using lesser nodes.  The difference is that, upon losing the buff, the "usual" system requires that you pick up several orbs and place new nodes (or send them to some boosted nodes already placed) while the current system requires you to pick up an energy orb and let them utilize whatever node is easiest.

I'd make a strong argument that the only situation where the usual system would definitely work better than the current one would be if:
1.  Your Resevoirs will never get destroyed (so no nullies or Combras).
2.  Your squad will be staying in the same room for the entire mission (preventing the need to ever move your buffed nodes).
The problem is these circumstances really only show up in non-fissure defense/interception missions against the Grineer or Infested.  So something like 10 or 15 missions out of the 230 making up the Starchart.

TL;DR:
There's an argument to be made that how the nodes currently work is easier for both Wisp and her squad, despite it being unusual.

I'd love to know if this was intended on DE's part, though.  I'm inclined to believe it was, as I'm suspicious that they'd accidently change how temporary power strength buffs work on one ability.

@Prekatt I see your point here and after playing around with wisp for a while now, I completly decided to ditch EC for now (still using growing power for the exact points you made). Would you agree that the stronger buff (with EC) should overwrite weaker ones for QoL? Then you could freely use your EC on other abilities (e.g. her 2 for invul, 3 for blind,...) without screwing a teammate that then gets a weaker version of the buff and has to jump of a cliff or similiar to get the stronger one back.

Still would like to have an official word about this one though...

@Zakor11
Yes, I fully agree that a stronger buff should override a weaker one.  It would be great if nobody had to jump off a cliff in order to "update" their boons, and it would make buffing them with Pax Bolt much easier.

Frankly, the whole system of which buff is prioritized from what Wisp and whatnot needs to be messed around with.  Currently, it appears that whether you get a new buff or not (when moving from Reservoirs owned by one Wisp to another) isn't dictated by power strength, but by how old the node is.  That's probably a topic for another thread, though.