Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Survival Is Popular …almost Too Popular

YsWolf

So the inclusion of the survival mode has been almost as successful as the sexy-Lotus-voice-alert app, which is great but also a bit of a problem for the other mission types.

Don’t worry though; the Devs are bringing in new mission modes to replace some of the old/redundant ones anyway.

So what’s the problem? The issue is the recurring trend of players eventually defaulting to one mission type and leaving the other types neglected.

Sure, I’m certain the Devs will make the new modes more diverse, enjoyable and stimulating but, IMO, the reason why people start tending toward a specific mode is primarily for the rewards - experience, resources and mods.

Mobile defence is popular for this and now survival is giving me a new way to enjoy collecting these. Nightmare mode and alerts also provide specific rewards that survival doesn’t but even that inevitably runs dry.

So, sticking to the Dev’s motto, “Don’t balance the game by levelling the playing field, instead, place two extremes on opposite ends”, I'm gonna &!$$ some people off and suggest the rewards need to be dispersed more distinctly over the game types, possibly even dynamically (one day this, the next day that).

For example:

This suggestion WILL anger more than just a few people but the Devs can’t “fully” buckle to the community every time. Nobody’s gonna want to use stamina mods when they’ve already tasted the pleasure of having an exorbitant amount of stamina. Hit the community hard and then expect to negotiate a halfway point if you have to. (Edit: I suppose I should have whispered that last comment)

So, that being said, please give your feedback. Post your questions, comments and insults below.

Edited by YsWolf

FYI, Survival is popular right now because it's currently the only way to get Tower III Survival keys, which are a big item for those people who are actively farming for Mag Prime parts. While Survival is, indeed, quite fun, I'm sure it'll see a decrease in activity once enough people have their Mags.

While this is a great idea and I'm all about playing diverse modes with penalties if you fail certain objectives, it has some flaws.

This adds playability but this can make the game excessively grind-dy and the community have been requesting DE to make this game less grind-dy. (If I'm correct.)Also, you need to note the possibility of weak or obnoxious players that may screw up your game.

Guess we will have to wait and see what DE releases.

Ok, so I've got my Mag Prime and I'm still enjoying survival, personally, more for the achievement of staying out the longest than the vast drops.

Oh, and yes Asbyn, the popularity has dropped like you said but it's still a favourite for some players.

However, the underlying issue is still there - people keep asking "where's the best place to farm <insert item here>?" and most of the responses single out one mission type leaving the others neglected. Instead of making one place better than the other I think DE should separate the reasons to go to either.

Sure, I said I'd wait to see what DE was gonna bring next but two ideas keeps reoccurring: dynamic resource allocation (e.g. one day the highest drop rate for salvage is one location on Mars and the next day its another location) and an unknown rare resource drop (might be a neurode, might be an orokin cell)

I know you said the grinding element needs to be curbed, Yuzurukia, but it can't quite be removed entirely. What do you guys think of these ideas?

...I have a feeling someone's about to point me to where it's already been discussed.

People default to one game mode because some modes are better than other for end-game...ability? You aren't going to fight level 500's in Deception or Rescue. Some rewards are only available via Defense or Survival. No other mission type has that "You can only get it here" loot.

EDIT: Also some mission types are just frustrating and annoying and more often than not, are not enjoyable to do. Forcing people do do things they don't like isn't going to really help matters. As it stands most people have to repeat a mission to the point of complete dislike of it just to get what they need, and some modes are less painful than others. "So what’s the problem? The issue is the recurring trend of players eventually defaulting to one mission type and leaving the other types neglected." This isn't a problem. Besides being the most beneficial, I play the modes I play because I enjoy them. I already have to put up with types I don't enjoy until I actually hate them and have to stop playing the game for a while because RNG wears me out. Being forced to play these modes even more would just aggravate people more than it would solve anything.

Edited by MA347612890GT4078579132R

I think people find Survival to be tons of fun simply becuase they barely have an objective to call to. All you have to do once in awhile is run to a supply drop and activate a oxygen tank while picking up oxygen drops in the meantime. In between all your doing is obliterating the enemy and at the end, moving towards the extraction. 

People like that freedom of not having to defend anything while the game gradually gets more difficult.

Well, it's the number 1 game mode when you want to farm solo. Farming defenses solo is a giant pain in the &amp;#&#33;, survival gives you chance to get the same amount of resources and mods (plus some sweet mission rewards) without the need to babysit the cryopod.

I especially like the Mercury survival. You get a ton of ferrite (which I'm runnin low on these days), it's pretty easy, so you can do 30 minutes no problem and you still get keys pretty often. I would actually like to know if the level of the survival has any impact on the key drop chance... my guess is it doesn't, I get the same amount of T3 keys from Mercury as I get from higher level survivals.

Well, it's the number 1 game mode when you want to farm solo. Farming defenses solo is a giant pain in the &amp;#&#33;, survival gives you chance to get the same amount of resources and mods (plus some sweet mission rewards) without the need to babysit the cryopod.

I especially like the Mercury survival. You get a ton of ferrite (which I'm runnin low on these days), it's pretty easy, so you can do 30 minutes no problem and you still get keys pretty often. I would actually like to know if the level of the survival has any impact on the key drop chance... my guess is it doesn't, I get the same amount of T3 keys from Mercury as I get from higher level survivals.

The longer you survive, the better the loot tables are, regardless of the level.

Survival is a chaotic battle with tons of bad guys coming from all sides (except when the spawning system bugs out, anyhow!)

It's just more fun than most of the other game types, which are mostly 'run somewhere shooting intermittent small squads to do something, then run some more to leave'.