Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

5 hours of fighting Ropalolyst: verdict COMPLETELY BROKEN

mishli

I'm going to apologize in advance, this will probably come across as angry, it's been a long day and I'm very frustrated, so I apologize, but I do believe what I have to say is worth it and also needs to be said. As the title says, it took me roughly 5 hours of fighting the Ropalolyst to get all of the wisp parts, while this isn't a terrible time considering how hard some other frames are to get, the time was heavily padded by the fact that the fight is COMPLETELY BROKEN.
EDIT: For clarification, I have posted these in the bug megathread as well, but I also posted them here so more discussion could be had.

First: What worked

This may sound weird, but my favorite part of the whole fight, is the map getting there. It doesn't seem like there are very many different tiles, but ever since we got bullet jumping, any parkour has been kind of pointless. The new tiles are so spread out that I actually found myself needing to do some wall jumps to reset my bullet jump. So genuine kudos there, I honestly enjoyed getting to the boss more than the fight itself. Though it is really annoying how my operator keeps voiding out randomly when I try to use void dash... I'm not sure what's up with that.
I also enjoyed the overall mechanics of the fight... to some extent. I like the idea that you have to bait the boss into attacking the pillars, then smashing it into the pillars to make it vulnerable, before hitting it with a giant freaking death star laser. While it's annoying it's so scripted, overall it is pretty badass.

Now we get to the problems, what doesn't work:
First. the lasers... the boss has a giant freaking laser attack that it can use with no warning, even before you've gained control of your frame, and it WILL just 1shot you. these lasers do roughly 20-23k (tested with harrow 4) per hit. Which means even with the in game cap of 95% dr (mesa, nova, mirage) you would need over 2k effective hp to survive it. This is dumb... there's almost no counter play, since it can come out of no where, there's functionally no dodging.. it's just "be unkillable, or die" that's it.
EDIT: A few people have misunderstood, so for clarification. I'm not referring to the giant purple laser that charges the pylons. I'm referring to the 5-6 laser pointers that can simply kill you instantly. (generally only done in the phase where she's flying around, before people are on the pylons) Yes these can occasionally be dodged, however. (from what I've heard) this is only consistent if you are host, if you aren't the host, then it's very possible for her to fire the lasers and kill you before you even regain control after a cut scene.

Second: operator form
I honestly can't tell if this is a bug or intended, but about 70% of the time... parts of operator form just don't seem to work consistently. Can't leave Warframe, can't return to Warframe, can't dash... If this is a bug... it needs to be fixed... especially in a fight that mandates the use of the operator in the first place. If this is intended... Why and how? I'm more than familiar with the concept of nullifiers, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when I'm getting blocked. Sometimes I can dash, but not return to Warframe, sometimes I can't leave Warframe... there seems to be no coherent logic to when this occurs. No visual indicator, no callout, no specific timing... If this is intended, it needs to be explained and visualized MUCH MORE CLEARLY.... but that leads back to the question of... why are they being blocked in the first place, in a fight that mandates operator form?
EDIT: Some people have said that the boss has a field/aura that blocks abilities if you're too close, other people seem to say there's a shock wave the boss emits at certain times that disable abilities, I'd like to reiterate. It doesn't seem to matter when or where things are going on, my abilities just randomly don't work half the time. If either of these are correct, they need to be MUCH more heavily indicated, as there appears to be no visual difference with my screen or operator whenever this occurs. Magnetic procs and nullifier bubbles are obvious examples. However, that still makes no sense why I can't re enter my Warframe when the boss is on the other side of the arena.

Third: THE BUGS
I have been playing Warframe for a long time, long enough to remember when wall running was actually a run, long enough to remember before we had the /unstuck command.

THIS FIGHT IS THE SINGLE MOST GLITCHED OUT THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE HISTORY OF THIS GAME.
Look. I know this is kind of new stuff and of course patches will come out... but the sheer absurd amount of bugs and glitches I ran into just in that 5 hours was enough to make me want to put the game down for a while if the new content is going to be this buggy. What follows is a list of the most broken glitches I had, there were others, but these were the biggest ones.

Starting with the worst and most common one. In phase 3... the boss simply stops taking proper damage. You can see the health bar go down, you can see it stagger when it hits 0, yet firing the uber laser does nothing. The boss simply dodges and comes back with full hp. funny angles can give you view of the boss's final weak point... but for whatever reason, it's completely invulnerable. Making the fight impossible to finish. This happened approx half of the time. meaning at least 2 and a half of the 5 hours was spent just on fights that couldn't be finished. Several things happened as a result of this, a few times, when the host left, the boss reset to a different phase. Once she simply flew off and never came back, once she reverted to the start of phase 3 and became killable, once she reset to phase 1, but there were no pylons left. I broke her shield, smashed her into the empty space where a pylon was, and managed to somehow trigger the phase swap... except the bottom half of her de loaded and she became 100% truly invincible. 

In any of the initial 'bait her to charge the pylon' phase. There seem to be several triggers that simply cause her to drop all aggro, meaning she won't charge the pylons. I saw this happen a few times when her shields were dropped before she left the starting platform, but it seems to be most consistent when people mount her before she has charged the pylon. Several times she simply refused to ever fire again. Host leaving usually resets this.

The arena itself seems to have lots of problems, several times I slipped or was pushed off the edge, only to find myself infinitely respawning in midair, stuck in a falling loop, once i was able to get out by mashing my face against the stage, but i spent over 10 minutes just falling on a few occasions while people killed the boss. This has happened both in operator form (never could use dash the entire time, leaving me completely stuck) and Warframe as well. This may be due to the fact that the arena is destructible, as I have noticed several ammo pickups simply floating in air after she has smashed the platform. According to the hotfix notes, this was addressed on Friday, however I ran into this Saturday, after the hotfix had been applied.

Chain grabbing. I'm honestly not sure what the point of the boss's grab attack is... It seems to simply just pick you up, stare at you for a while, and never let go until you're < 200 hp. I tested this with and without Harrow invincibility, it simply refused to leg to until i was 1 hit from death no matter how long it took to get there... This leads to more bugs, if you are shot or otherwise die while being grabbed, it can prevent you from performing any actions, being stuck falling while bleeding out, making it impossible to be ressed and numerous other oddities that wasn't properly understood. I have also experienced the boss simply infinitely grabbing someone... this occurred over 10x consecutively. Simply grab, release, grab, release, grab, release... we had a trinity constantly healing, and the boss simply would not stop grabbing him. It's not fun to just...not be able to play for a while.

Etc. there were numerous other bugs and twitches, but I really have no idea what caused them. One time after being grabbed I was stuck, unable to perform any action but walk and shoot, could not roll, could not use abilities, could not jump, could not use operator. A second time this happened, except I was still able to roll, however the game seemed to think I was dead. I could still shoot and do damage, but none of the enemies would attack me and even jumping into the mortar fire caused me to take 0 damage. One time host left at the start of the fight and 1 pylon instantly put her to stage 3. The animation for mounting the boss also seems to be misaligned a vast majority of the time. If you void out from falling off the arena when a cut scene starts, it can permanently make you unable to see anything, just stuck at a black screen.

As I said I apologize for the angry rant, but I feel like this is well and truly below the standard of quality we should expect from DE. I'm fully aware there are always going to be bugs, like how in disruption there seems to be an issue with your abilities being permanently disabled until you die and respawn. I am fully aware of that, but this new fight is so absurdly broken I feel like we deserve an apology of some kind. I'd honestly like to see it pulled until the bugs are Ironed out.

Edited by mishli
Clarification
  • Like 7

Wow, never ever encounter any of this except for operator part. Being close to Ropalolyst will make you unable to use skills and forcing your operator to go back to your warframe

Though, you really got bad luck in RNG

5 hours for 4 parts that have same drop chance.. wow

Well if you want the bugs fixed you should go make some bug reports.

But personally I've not experienced a single bug in the mode after having done enough runs to get every Wisp part and most of the mods. Maybe these are more host/client or latency related bugs but the fight has worked without a hitch for me every run.

27 minutes ago, mishli said:

THIS FIGHT IS THE SINGLE MOST GLITCHED OUT THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN THE HISTORY OF THIS GAME.

I've run it for about 2-3 hours, zero problems on my end

If you get hit with it's power disable it also disables your operator, don't think that's a bug

Funny how this is a problem, but not disruptions reward tables amirite?

Edited by Kimimoto
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kimimoto said:

If you get hit with it's power disable it also disables your operator, don't think that's a bug

See, this is what I was talking about. It happens randomly. It can be across the arena, it can be taking damage, it can be right next to me. It doesn't matter where the boss is in relation to me, sometimes operator glitches out. I don't have to be hit by anything, I don't have to be taking damage/near the boss, it simply randomly chooses to not work whenever it feels like once the boss fight starts

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sinosamba said:

Was this recently broken on the last hotfix? Did it on Fri with friends and there were almost no bugs, with the addition of an RNGeezus I never got on WF, we got all Wisp parts in 4 runs 😮

Yes, the hotfix mentions "fixed cases of infinitely falling" on friday, this happened saturday

35 minutes ago, mishli said:

leave Warframe... there seems to be no coherent logic to when this occurs. No visual indicator, no callout, no specific timing... If this is intended, it needs to be explained and visualized MUCH MORE CLEARLY.... but that leads back to the question of... why are they being blocked in the first place, in a fight that mandates operator form?

The red wave that the rapalolyst sends out when you break it's shields disables movement abilities, which includes operator dashing, and I guess returning and exiting your warframe has been bundled into it. I've always been able to use every one of my abilities as long as I am not hit by that wave. I ran it for probably twp-three hours and never had a gltiched fight out of it.

Edited by PoisonHD
  • Like 3

most of the issues not related to clipping or infinite loops, etc., can be attributed to essentially being nullified/suppressed in proximity to the boss. that's why operator seems/feels broken.

but the real takeaway here is that you had terrible, terrible rng. 5 hours of a 5 to 10 minute fight, i am so sorry.

• Like 3

Red laser is really annoying. Really annoying. And bugs. And the entire process doesn’t go smoothly like fighting Eidolons. I always get a good squad to do this. 

You might want want to try Eidolon hunt but it will take many struggling sets to get every build right. 

6 minutes ago, mishli said:

Yes, the hotfix mentions "fixed cases of infinitely falling" on friday, this happened saturday

Oh man, fix one bug and another 10 pop up. Maybe is best to wait for the next hotfix before trying again?

Just now, sinosamba said:

Oh man, fix one bug and another 10 pop up. Maybe is best to wait for the next hotfix before trying again?

I've no longer any reason to ever see that boss again... It was rough, but I got all the wisp parts. There's no point in going back.

So you know that bug where you fall into a pit and the game respawns you in the air above the pit, so you just immediately fall in again? And it's very difficult if not impossible to break out of that cycle? Yeah, the first time I did the ropalolyst fight, that happened to the boss. It was the final phase too, and we ended up having to restart the mission. It's a cool fight but definitely undercooked.

1 hour ago, SordidDreams said:

So you know that bug where you fall into a pit and the game respawns you in the air above the pit, so you just immediately fall in again? And it's very difficult if not impossible to break out of that cycle? Yeah, the first time I did the ropalolyst fight, that happened to the boss. It was the final phase too, and we ended up having to restart the mission. It's a cool fight but definitely undercooked.

Or: You fall, and when you get back on the platform, your screen starts fading in to and out of black every second or so, and you keep getting reset back to the platform.

I know I was super frustrated with the "stops taking propper damage" thing, but that bit is apparently because once you break/kill it you need to manually trigger the overhead beam weapon and that cements the phase. If you don't do that within the time limit then you need to re-break/kill the Component/Rapolyst. 

The mission just really does a terrible job of conveying that you need to do that but once you know it's a mechanically solid fight. 

The only thing I absoloutly HATE about that fight is that after the cutscenes that take you back to the platform about 3/4 of the time it feels like the Rapolyst will preform a obnoxious 360 noscope attack that just downs everyone. You don't even have time to jump or pop into operator you're dead, just "Ok good talk, could you don't". 

Glitch wise I've encountered an issue where the screen slowly strobes black but eventually gets around to fixing itself. 

Edited by Oreades

Wow, completely opposite experience for me. Had a few weird fadeouts and the bad enemy placements on your butt during cutscenes, but it was overall a smooth kill every time.

But I always did it solo. Every time someone has a panic attack about the boss, it's been in a group so maybe co-op is simply busted.

Edited by Firetempest
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

Doesnt come close to my 11 hours to get Nova when she first came out.

OOOOOH and wasn't the fight just great with the equipment at the time? Ah Raptor, the first truly terrifying boss of Warframe. Granted most could just be kestreled off the edge.....

As far as the topic goes, well said. I have had far fewer no bug rounds than bug rounds in Ropalolyst. Never had anything keep me from actually finishing fortunately. I've watched her(him?) skip phases, reset on final laser, refuse to charge the pylons, and be impossible to rodeo. I agree with the nullifying observation. It has gone from outta line to identity destroying. If they cannot figure out how to balance abilities without removing them entirely this will not be Warframe. For something I'm pretty sure was supposed to be an Archwing fight to ultimately be a rehash of the original eidolon fight, why in the world did the mechanics go backwards? Either way though, on fully functional runs, it is easy relative to the eidolons. Two weak spots and low hp make the actual boss cake outside of a few revivals. Since all you get are the Wisp parts, this only really has to be as done as where we get Mag, or Frost.  

2 hours ago, mishli said:

the boss has a giant freaking laser attack that it can use with no warning

it's attack is very telegraphed, it points it ?wings? forward and sweeps the area, you should only get hit of you aren't paying attention, and even then you can just move behind cover

2 hours ago, mishli said:

and it WILL just 1shot you. these lasers do roughly 20-23k (tested with harrow 4) per hit.

really? cause my hildryn just gets pushed off the platform by the laser, it doesn't even do enough damage to trigger her shield gating

1 minute ago, Etan-gK said:

it's attack is very telegraphed, it points it ?wings? forward and sweeps the area, you should only get hit of you aren't paying attention, and even then you can just move behind cover

I think he's more referring to the laser usage an instant after the cutscene. Typically results in a few downings and the occasional team wipe that way.

• Like 1

Buggy as it is: I love this fight. But yeah OP is right on pretty much everything. I especially hate it, when I try to void-dash over to the capacitators and 3 meters before the platform my operator can't dash any longer and drops like a stone (without being able to return to the frame), or when we return to the platform after the cutscene and half the team got wiped because the ropalist started its attacks way before we got control back.

A great concept and with the hints of Alad V and Lotus it's quite doable without refering to the wiki, still, would be way better without the bugs.

Played my 1st fight against Ropie the other day. Dropped the BP.

This morning a played a few more assassinations and got everything but neuroptics.

Played one more earlier and got neuroptics. 

All in i felt it an easy grind. Though for the most part I was carried by more experienced sentient hunters.