Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

5 hours of fighting Ropalolyst: verdict COMPLETELY BROKEN

mishli

i don't care about the bugs, this boss fight was tedious and unfun, i ran it once and got a headache from it with all the stupid lights and lasers. and now because i have 1 unfinished node in the star chart again arbitrations are also disabled, so thanks for the awful boss fight and taking away a game mode i had access to before.

Not sure if this has been said or not -- but if you accidentally climb on top before it charges the pillar, you have to go back to operator and drain the shields again.  Once you do that, it will go back into the mode to shoot at the pillar.

It will look like it's bugged out / invulnerable, but you CAN shoot it again with the operator after climbing on top to reset the "shoot the pillar" part.

I actually feel the opposite...I didn't encounter any bugs, but found the fight too easy and boring. Orbs and Eidolons are way better. I got all Wisp parts after 6 runs luckily, so I'm done with it forever.

Personnally i had some annoying bugs.

Screen became all black and i can see anything ( i seems that i still can shoot move but see nothing) until the end of the mision.

Another one is a infinite loop of falling without escape if the operator is pushed from the platform.

But things get better after the little hotfix (like often said "patch day, dont play") and because i mostly prefer solo this boss.

It's not so hard and it's far less confusing (And less bugged. Why ? Dont know, maybe some bugs are linked to the host.) without 3 others people who often try to find out what to do.

The drop chances are pretty decent (Yes, i look up to you Khora!), even if i have now 3 chassis and 3 system of whisp to sell.

The only annoying things is the grab from the boss (just waste of time) and the jumping to the extraction at the end (same, if you miss just waste of time).

@mishli

The part about Operators/Z-kids isn't a bug. It's intentional. If you use Void Dash, you get hit with a "Z-kid nullification penalty" for about five or six seconds.

The purpose to me seems to be a way of combating cheese without just deleting a tool from our arsenal. Because the one Void Dash you are allowed to use still works as normal, so you can heal or replenish energy. In addition you can use your Amp as much as you want and never trigger the penalty

• Like 1

Alright, lemme help ya.

1. Be DUR/RNG Zephyr.
  2. Hop into arena. Tailwind to side capacitor. The second it's charged, Tailwind to the next. Repeat until all three are charged.
  3. Leave frame behind 3rd capacitor, shoot Ropalolyst with Cantic, Rahn, Raplak prism (descending order of effectiveness), whatever scaffold, Certus brace amp.
  4. Shields pops, boss comes close, cast Turbulence, bullet-jump in his face and press X.
  5. Fly his face into the capacitor from the side that's facing the central platform.
  6. Spawn on platform, void dash to button. If frame gets caught by grabbing, go operator and press button.
  7. Blap Synoda with Rad-spec Catchmoon/Eidolon Rubico. Press button.
  8. Instantly go operator and amp-blast his shield while he's frying. GO TO 4.
  9. Repeat three times, only the last time, you bodyshot the boss. Press button, receive extraction.
  10. Hop towards first platform, aimglide, then ground slam. 
  11. Hop towards the marker, aimglide, wait for platform to fall, then ground slam.

You've now solo'd the Ropalolyst fight in five to six minutes, without breaking a sweat.

Something I noticed in testing was that there was  HUGE difference between hosting and client playability.

Hosting, I could see the red laser telegraph.  I could tell when I was going to get hit with the abilities nullifier wave.  I still got killed a couple times while being stuck watching the last moments of a cutscene (seriously DE???), but it was so much more playable.

Client, I might as well have flipped a coin when it came to having time to react to anything, even within the same fight with the same player host.  Sometimes, sure, no problem.  Other times, I fell over dead and had no idea why.  And operator mode glitched out in a whole variety of ways, including one time leaving me stuck in operator mode but unable to dash, void blast, or void mode at all.  All I could do was my basic amp attack.  

(I wonder how long it'll be before DE realizes they're fighting so many bugs related to peer hosting that they finally bite the bullet and set up actual servers...it's not like they're that expensive anymore...or hell, just call Amazon and get hosted on their cloud services).

Oh, and I had another fun bug that left me unable to move while in my warframe, but could move perfectly normal in operator mode.  I could pop out of my frozen frame, run and dash, go back into the frame which would teleport it to me like normal, and be frozen again until I popped back out.  

And I had the everything invisible bug hit.  Makes the amalgams on the deck with you a lot more dangerous when you cannot see where they are to splatter them.

12 hours ago, mishli said:

Now we get to the problems, what doesn't work:

Apologies for the partial quote, I did it to lessen the space my post occupies but rest assured I've read the whole thing and this makes it easier for me to address your points one by one.

1. Lasers - These can be dodged reliably by either going into operator void mode or just a simple dodge (tapping the sprint key). The telegraph is quite clear when the Ropa locks onto you.

2. Operator - I'm with you on the occasional transference bug, this happens everywhere else too. However, Ropa will start screaming when anyone in the squad uses Void Dash with their operator - Which disables Warframe abilities. I can understand that it isn't very well explained and they left it for us to discover, whether or not that is good or bad design is a different subject and I'm just letting you know why/how your frame's abilities suddenly stop working.

3. Bugs - Agree with this. How can a studio push out an update without any testing? Feel free to crush my accusation, because I have no proof that the fight went untested. BUT, from personal experience on release day. Out of the 5 fights my squad did, only 2 went smoothly, I should add that we already had the boss figured out (see breakdown below).

Real talk, it takes 4 testers/developers to play this damn mess for an hour and 90% of the bugs would have surfaced - That's exactly how broken it was, every fight something went wrong. What's the hurry DE? Instead of pushing it out, let the players test it and hotfix it over the next two days, why don't you at least do some of the most basic testing for a few days then release the update less broken? Either way the game will have bugs sure, but at least just test it a little bit please!

@mishli, from my farming experience the Ropa fight just goes like this:

1. Deplete the Ropa's shield with Operator.

2. Go to a platform and bait it to laser the core.

3. Ride it into the charged core (won't happen if there's purple shield left).

4. After it crashes, destroy a synovia then burn the damn thing, otherwise it will dodge all the blue laser attacks.

5. Repeat 1-4 until you can damage the Ropa directly, get it to 0 hp the burn it again to end the fight.

Overall there are very few things you misunderstood, such as Ropa's ability-disabling AoE when it detects a Void Dash, and the avoidable one-shot laser thing. The infinite falling loop can be fixed by just going into operator within the split second that you are in your Warframe during the loop.

I can only offer you information that you may or may not have missed and a couple of workaround. I agree with the rest of what you said. This fight was SO, #*!%ING, BROKEN and it really showed how little of it was actually tested before release. Did DE delay it only to add a #*!%ing Roomba or something?

DE, please. Please! I know that players are never really happy regardless of what you do or how hard you try most times, but seriously, is this one of those times? Looking at the state of the Ropa on release, I really, really don't think so. How can bugs that occur so often, so easy to reproduce completely slipped... just how?

Edited by warframe.ronnie
chopped the quote to lessen space occupied

TL:DR: Broken AF, Nathan dialogues are terrible I don't even want to hear what she want to say to me at this point, as a player, AS A TENNO I feel like rioting against the whole Nathan thing!

I feel like World of Warcraft: BfA all over again. Just terrible and unimaginable to me how could this happen at all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mishli said:

Second: operator form
I honestly can't tell if this is a bug or intended, but about 70% of the time... parts of operator form just don't seem to work consistently. Can't leave Warframe, can't return to Warframe, can't dash... If this is a bug... it needs to be fixed... especially in a fight that mandates the use of the operator in the first place. If this is intended... Why and how? I'm more than familiar with the concept of nullifiers, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when I'm getting blocked. Sometimes I can dash, but not return to Warframe, sometimes I can't leave Warframe... there seems to be no coherent logic to when this occurs. No visual indicator, no callout, no specific timing... If this is intended, it needs to be explained and visualized MUCH MORE CLEARLY.... but that leads back to the question of... why are they being blocked in the first place, in a fight that mandates operator form?
EDIT: Some people have said that the boss has a field/aura that blocks abilities if you're too close, other people seem to say there's a shock wave the boss emits at certain times that disable abilities, I'd like to reiterate. It doesn't seem to matter when or where things are going on, my abilities just randomly don't work half the time. If either of these are correct, they need to be MUCH more heavily indicated, as there appears to be no visual difference with my screen or operator whenever this occurs. Magnetic procs and nullifier bubbles are obvious examples. However, that still makes no sense why I can't re enter my Warframe when the boss is on the other side of the arena.

It wokrs like this, anytime you use moving ability it emits wave that dispel your abilities and block them for few seconds.

So DONT use operator Dash. Even thing like Zephyr 1 trigger this effect.

The reason i see behind this is to force players to do the jumping on ropes and evading electricity part.

Edited by Mover-NeRo

Yeah the best luck I've had avoiding the whole ropes thing is Titania. Shes my go to now since the weak spots don't have that much health and she wrecks them anyway. Most of the time with proper teammates I never have to leave Razorwing, but if people aren't quickly figuring out the rodeo/laser I can drop out and do it too. As far as the base premise of this mechanic goes? I just really don't like it. Getting rid of all of our abilities to the point it feels like a bug is a new level of "what's going on with balancing?" I don't too much mind playing a particular Warframe for a particular fight but to me it seems, 1 there is virtually no reason not to run this with 4 Titanias, 2 it only drops Wisp parts so there is no replay value, 3 it is plenty past the annoying enough to totally change how you fight it, rather than adapting with your preferred character. 

All in all, could have been a better fight, I actually like most of it. Get rid of the nullifying entirely, iron out the bugs, and then you got a pretty good fight. Maybe put the new mods on the drop table, but I'm just not a fan of RNG, it would at least gives some replay ability. 

7 hours ago, warframe.ronnie said:

3. Bugs - Agree with this. How can a studio push out an update without any testing? Feel free to crush my accusation, because I have no proof that the fight went untested. BUT, from personal experience on release day. Out of the 5 fights my squad did, only 2 went smoothly, I should add that we already had the boss figured out (see breakdown below).

They don't test their updates. There's plenty of evidence pointing to that. My "favourite" example would be sanctuary onslaught, which was literally uncompletable. Took my standard sortie-busting Loki loadout in there when it first came out, killed everything as soon as it got into view and still couldn't keep the life support timer up. This is something which would have been noticed immediately had they bothered to run the mission themselves even once, but nope. Still just as broken when I attempted it a week later. I haven't looked at it since, nor do I have any intention of doing so again. Screw Khora, the braton/lato vandals and whatever else drops there. I don't care enough.

The Ropalolyst is also a cavalcade of desync issues. The boss' position when flying doesn't seem to sync properly with clients and has the potential to fall MASSIVELY out of sync in the presence of packet loss. I had a number of people complain about the boss suddenly teleporting around as they jump to ride it. Destroyed towers also don't always sync to clients, causing them to still see the towers intact. Clients are also often killed while in a cutscene. The host will always emerge out of a cutscene first, and clients with 300+ ping and some packet loss can emerge from the same cutscene several seconds later. Because AI and mission triggers are handled host-side (locally-hosted game, remember), the fight starts before the rest of the team have control of their characters. Team-wipes ensue.

And that's not even bringing up how awkwardly the Ropalolyst animations sync to clients. In a lot of cases they'll see it flying sideways or backwards, fidgeting in place, firing attacks without animating, sliding around, etc. Riding it as a client is a hilarious experience of desync as your Warframe's climb animation in no way matches up to the Ropalolyst's actual animations. Remember when trying to climb the Exploiter Rob as a client caused you to climb air? Same deal here.

Now granted, most of my friends live an ocean away so we have high ping times and severe packet loss. Not your average situation. But still - Warframe's net code in general is VERY unstable and tends to react really badly to imperfect connections. I've been having sync issues since I started playing, but they've been rare. On the Remastered Jupiter tileset and especially against the Ropalolyst, they're extremely common.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xavori said:

Something I noticed in testing was that there was  HUGE difference between hosting and client playability.

Hosting, I could see the red laser telegraph.  I could tell when I was going to get hit with the abilities nullifier wave.  I still got killed a couple times while being stuck watching the last moments of a cutscene (seriously DE???), but it was so much more playable.

Client, I might as well have flipped a coin when it came to having time to react to anything, even within the same fight with the same player host.  Sometimes, sure, no problem.  Other times, I fell over dead and had no idea why.  And operator mode glitched out in a whole variety of ways, including one time leaving me stuck in operator mode but unable to dash, void blast, or void mode at all.  All I could do was my basic amp attack.  

(I wonder how long it'll be before DE realizes they're fighting so many bugs related to peer hosting that they finally bite the bullet and set up actual servers...it's not like they're that expensive anymore...or hell, just call Amazon and get hosted on their cloud services).

Oh, and I had another fun bug that left me unable to move while in my warframe, but could move perfectly normal in operator mode.  I could pop out of my frozen frame, run and dash, go back into the frame which would teleport it to me like normal, and be frozen again until I popped back out.  

And I had the everything invisible bug hit.  Makes the amalgams on the deck with you a lot more dangerous when you cannot see where they are to splatter them.

Bugs I've seen from observing someone else fight the thing:

Death by Cutscene.  The Birb (because the real name is silly) will fire its lasers immediately on completion of a cutscene, before you have full control of your warframe.  Since each bug zapper phase ends with everyone back on the platform and in Warframe mode, this will often instantly kill two or three players.  Occaisionally someone who expects it seems to be able to bullet jump straight up.  This will either avoid it (if it targeted someone else) or spare everyone else, but the bullet jumper will still die, because Instant Death Lock On Laser.

It's possible to break the sequence.  The terminal to fire the Giant Laser at the central platform can be used even if the Birb still has Sentient shields.  If you use it, the Birb instantly teleports somewhere else.  It returns right about the instant that the console resets.  Meaning someone who doesn't realize it's not vulnerable can just keep firing the laser.  Every time the Birb teleports there seems to be a chance to trigger other bugs, such as it not teleporting back, turning invisible, or otherwise finding some new way to break.

The Birb will also break itself during the "Void Blast the shields" phase.  Instead of attacking the central platform until the Sentient shields are destroyed, it will teleport to one of the Bug Zapper platforms.  It will still have shields, but it may sometimes *also* be possible to try to grab it.  This will cause its AI script to utterly glitch, and it will do one of a number of different things.  It may simply hover in place, staring at the platform and not firing its laser.  It might swoop around and try to grab someone off the zapper platform.  It might retreat to fairly long range.  Fortunately it seemed to be possible to reset it by hitting it until the Sentient shield breaks.  The problem is, sometimes the health bar will appear greyed out to both weapons and amps, and it's completely NOT obvious that void damage will work on it.  If the shield is broken again, the "Press X to grab Birb" prompt will reappear.

The "Press X to Grab Birb" prompt remains visible even if someone has already grappled it.  This can lead to other players assuming no one has done so and leaping at it, falling off the platform.  (And possibly triggering one of the infinite respawn loops.)

There seems to be a number of bugs related to the Void Dash nullification, and Void Mode in general.  I couldn't make out exactly how it happened, but at least once I saw someone get Nulled out of Operator Mode which somehow resulted in getting partially broken in Warframe mode.  They couldn't switch weapons, couldn't use X and couldn't use melee weapons.  They could still fire their equipped weapon, but couldn't use powers or switch weapons.  Being unable to press X also meant that they couldn't revive anyone else, which is kind of a serious problem.  In that case, it seemed to reset when they eventually gave up and let the Birb shoot them in the face with the red laser.

I would also add that I think the part where the fight ends in *another* jumping puzzle to reach the exit kind of sucks.  Especially since both platforms seem to be *just* far enough apart that you're not going to reach them via normal bullet jumping.  (Ie, you NEED Zephyr, or one of otherwise basically useless mods that increases Bullet Jumping hang time.)  Personally, I bought Wisp already.  I expect to do it exactly enough to clear the node, and then never touch it again.

Inb4 It didn't happen to me so it doesn't exist! andy's flooding this thread

Same thing happened to me OP, this fight is glitchy as hell and every squad i found when i was farming Wisp complained about it at some point. The whole P2P system makes the already broken mechanics 10x worse due to lag and bad netcoding. They gave this boss mechanics that simply can't work in a fun way with how this game is played. Good thing i got Wisp pretty fast so i didn't have to worry too much about this fight. Maybe they were self aware that it's still really broken therefore the drops are easier to get and there aren't that many?

On 2019-05-26 at 5:29 PM, Kaotyke said:

Doesnt come close to my 11 hours to get Nova when she first came out.

270 runs...
It took me 270 runs to get Ivara... I still hate her to this day just for how long that took.. I have seen more spy missions than I care to even remember

Edited by mishli
Spelling

On 2019-05-26 at 6:11 PM, Etan-gK said:

it's attack is very telegraphed, it points it ?wings? forward and sweeps the area, you should only get hit of you aren't paying attention, and even then you can just move behind cover

really? cause my hildryn just gets pushed off the platform by the laser, it doesn't even do enough damage to trigger her shield gating

Wrong laser attack, not the big purple one which charges the pylons, this is a little red dot that just says "you died" she doesn't usually to do it once someone reaches one of the pylons, she generally only does it at the start of the fight or right after she took damage from the uber laser

Edited by mishli

On 2019-05-26 at 5:42 PM, Oreades said:

I know I was super frustrated with the "stops taking propper damage" thing, but that bit is apparently because once you break/kill it you need to manually trigger the overhead beam weapon and that cements the phase. If you don't do that within the time limit then you need to re-break/kill the Component/Rapolyst. 
During the glitch I mentioned, there is no "time limit" it's instantaneous. we had someone camping the button, the moment her health hit 0, instant laser... she simply does not care and instantly replenishes her health bar

5 hours ago, EmberStar said:

I would also add that I think the part where the fight ends in *another* jumping puzzle to reach the exit kind of sucks.  Especially since both platforms seem to be *just* far enough apart that you're not going to reach them via normal bullet jumping.  (Ie, you NEED Zephyr, or one of otherwise basically useless mods that increases Bullet Jumping hang time.)  Personally, I bought Wisp already.  I expect to do it exactly enough to clear the node, and then never touch it again.

if you use your roll and melee slam, you can make the jumps without needing any extra mods, just have to hold aim glide for a while, it's not an instant thing.
Other option is you can use void dash to get part way, then bullet jump

On 2019-05-26 at 10:07 PM, MitchMeister03 said:

I've ran this 18 times, no chasis drop. S#&$s broke DE lol. 

Just a heads up, as you look new to Warframe, don't expect to get blueprints quickly... generally there's always a piece the just doesn't want to drop for you, for me it was neuros. I had 3/4 pieces in about half an hour, took the other 4.5 hours to get the last piece, that's pretty common (the rarity, not the number of runs)* Certain other warframes (ivara, octavia, nydus) can take MUCH longer

• Like 1