Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Older Warframe's First Abilities: Update Them

(PSN)LoisGordils

It should come to no surprise that, as more Warframes are being made, their designs and kits become more intricate. On Warframes like Wisp, Garuda and Hildryn, one can appreciate how elaborate their first skills are. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the older Warframes. Here I bring some ideas on how to rework some of these ancient skills:

Ash: Casting the ability equips Ash with X amount of shuriken (10) that can be aimed and thrown. I believe having Shuriken be a moddable Exalted Weapon would be most appropriate too. Recast to replenish Shuriken blades.

Chroma: Switch between elements, introduce new scaling mechanic to make it viable. For example: damage Chroma deals while channeling SS will be accumulated and unleashed as an elemental nova around him

Banshee: It should blow enemies and their weapons clean off. Not a permanent disarm, but something akin to Titania's Spellbind. Additionally, affected enemies should be deafened for a bit. Furthermore, I feel as if her effects should be updated to better simulate typical soundwaves.

Ember: I don't like this. Too basic. I would like tap to fireball with extremely high base damage, hold for a weaker fire stream that melts enemy armor. Throwing a fireball at an enemy coated with Accelerant will cause a conflagration that scales on the health of the enemy from which it originated.

Frost: Enemies frozen are marked. Killing the frozen enemy instantly flash-freezes all other foes adjacent to marked target, dealing x% of marked enemy health as Cold.

Loki: Decoy cannot be killed. Recasting again immediately causes Loki to switch positions with Decoy (no need to aim). Hold to summon a new one.

Mag: Is fine. However, do allow her to yank enemies into Magnetize and not yank them past it.

Nekros: Instant-kill on any enemy below 50% health. Can also be used to kill Shadows you no longer want, dealing a percentage of their health as AoE damage

Nova: While her Null Star does provide a 90% damage reduction, you seldom take advantage of it because of how easily the orbs attack enemies (even with minimum range!). I propose that Null Star no longer targets enemies. Let's be honest, absolutely nobody uses it for that. Now, because it no longer targets enemies, Null Star now absorbs part of the damage dealt to Nova (she will be fine thanks to the damage mitigation). When Nova recasts Null Star, the orbs explode; dealing the damage absorbed as Radiation.

Rhino: Scrap it and give him a new move. The charge may as well be incorporated into his forward dash as a unique animation with its own effects, it's simply too simple of an ability. New first ability? Move Iron Skin to his first and his two should be a Taunt that entices all enemies to ignore allies and only attack Rhino. As a trade off, Rhino gains increased critical chance on all his weapons. This would allow players to force foes into attacking Rhino while his Iron Skin is still in the invulnerability period.

Valkyr: It needs to be more fluid as a mobility skill. Additionally, enemies pulled by Ripline aren't launched into the stratosphere. Instead, they are pull towards her, where she will then prompt a Finisher. Killing the enemy grants Valkyr a critical damage buff to her melee attacks. Additionally, if in the air and Valkyr aims Ripline straight to the ground, she will dive kick, deal damage and knockdown enemies in a small area.

Volt: Volt can now tap to zap enemies or hold to conjure an orb of electricity that travels slowly, constantly zapping enemies. You can shoot the orb to amp up the power of the electrical shocks emitted. If it passes through Electric Shield, the orb gains increased speed.

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Loki: Decoy cannot be killed. Recasting again immediately causes Loki to switch positions with Decoy (no need to aim). Hold to summon a new one.

Sometimes you want to reposition the decoy by recasting the ability, so I'd say this auto switch feature should be added to Switch Teleport, not Decoy.

For example: tap Switch Teleport for regular use. Hold for auto switch with decoy.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

How does Ash recast if pressing the button throws another shuriken?

Holding RB+A for a fire stream for Ember is useless because you have no fingers available to comfortably aim.

Apologies for not clarifying

Ash's shuriken would function similar to Balefire. In other words, Ash simply summons Exalted Shuriken that he can throw like regular ones.

For Ember, and this applies to all Warframes with horrible charge & fire mechanics, holding the button momentarily would initiate Fire stream until you either run out of energy or simply press the ability button again to cancel. That is to say, you don't need to keep held down to use it.

1 minute ago, yles9056 said:

Sometimes you want to reposition the decoy by recasting the ability, so I'd say this auto switch feature should be added to Switch Teleport, not Decoy.

For example: tap Switch Teleport for regular use. Hold for auto switch with decoy.

That's a very solid solution 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Ash: Casting the ability equips Ash with X amount of shuriken (10) that can be aimed and thrown. I believe having Shuriken be a moddable Exalted Weapon would be most appropriate too. Recast to replenish Shuriken blades.

I would love this if it keeps current strength(homing, infinite punchthrough for walls, guaranteed slash).

Otherwise something like "hold to throw continuously" is better imo.

4 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Banshee: It should blow enemies and their weapons clean off. Not a permanent disarm, but something akin to Titania's Spellbind. Additionally, affected enemies should be deafened for a bit. Furthermore, I feel as if her effects should be updated to better simulate typical soundwaves.

Actually the only thing that need Banshee 1 is maybe an animation improvement. She can strip 100% armor with the augment and is a good panic button/cc.

You decide what exactly you are discussing. Half of your sentences have nothing to do with passive abilities. This is more suggestion for remaking individual abilities.

Passive abilities must be a specific set of conditions that define the frame gameplay. This can be anything from the use of a certain type of weapon (see Mesa) to the elements of parkour, which are beneficial if done correctly. It may also be related to the characteristics of the frame itself (Hildryn shields). Yes, it may be related to abilities, but these abilities should benefit from a passive ability, not vice versa. Passive ability must be available for use without your other abilities, if you comply with certain conditions.

Edited by zhellon

yes, ember and frost feel terribly basic, i would like it if ember has a machine gun behavior for the warframes need to call up a special weapon while sliding and bullet jumping like rpg games and magical aerial abilities. There can be some way to also protect other players and travel effectively using boosters and aoe, crouching ability or slidemagic attacks to protect her self or other team mates nearby with sonic shields, bullet jump should crazy whips, and call up some hellish weapons like kratos, as well as enfeeble an area particular so do the slam attacks so she can stay in super saiyan baking up bullets to deal fire damage, blast, and knockback silicates, she should occasionally cause splash damage when aiming at the air or floor using energy that is with that mentality. additional pickups and extra energy explode into bonus sprint speed and teleportation, with the new metter if she gets hotter her weapons change appearance and also she natively can speeds up reloading and enhance grenades / shotguns, shoot kinetic bullets that turn into penetrating lasers, am looking at how frost could offer a benefiting in a  team scenario, frost has been a good teammate allowing for players to use of his nitrogen and freezing abilities to needs teleporting and players modification of enemies and weapons nests. He should be able to launch more special attacks inside the orbital shield and new melee enhancements for those nearby without consuming abilities, more grenades and melee for frost are required.

1 hour ago, zhellon said:

You decide what exactly you are discussing. Half of your sentences have nothing to do with passive abilities. This is more suggestion for remaking individual abilities.

Passive abilities must be a specific set of conditions that define the frame gameplay. This can be anything from the use of a certain type of weapon (see Mesa) to the elements of parkour, which are beneficial if done correctly. It may also be related to the characteristics of the frame itself (Hildryn shields). Yes, it may be related to abilities, but these abilities should benefit from a passive ability, not vice versa. Passive ability must be available for use without your other abilities, if you comply with certain conditions.

There is no mention of passive abilities here. Where are you getting this from?

25 minutes ago, TeaHawk said:

What about Trinity? Her first is dramatically useless.

For Well of Life to be relevant, Blessing has to change. There is no reason to ever use WoL when Blessing is a thing. I propose that WoL will be Trinity's main healing ability and that Blessing no longer heals, but serves to instantly revive every fallen ally within Affinity Range (Tenno, companions, operatives) and grant them damage reduction and immunity to status effects for a period of time. 

16 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

For Well of Life to be relevant, Blessing has to change. There is no reason to ever use WoL when Blessing is a thing. I propose that WoL will be Trinity's main healing ability and that Blessing no longer heals, but serves to instantly revive every fallen ally within Affinity Range (Tenno, companions, operatives) and grant them damage reduction and immunity to status effects for a period of time. 

As always you propose to nerf one ability to make the other useful. That's not a right mindset.
1. If you're using a 12% duration build you cannot use 1st ability at all. 4th is the only way.
2. 1st ability is weak. You cannot count on other players's ability to spot and damage the target to heal themselves. They will simply die trying. And buffing enemy's health 10 times makes it harder to kill.
3. Reviving is cool. But that will make this ability totally useless on arbitration. Because there you die once and for all. And without blessing you die pretty fast.

Blessing is good, not perfect, but at least it is useful. First ability is far from being the best healing option. It could be fine for a DD-oriented frame, but it's too weak for a support. And assuming the blessing it becomes absolete. So why not to make the first ability something that can deal damage/buff all other abilities. For example 1st ability combined with the second could spread over the enemies dealing some dmg and refilling the energy. I dunno... There should be some way to create a synergy.

Edited by TeaHawk
Frenglish

24 minutes ago, TeaHawk said:

As always you propose to nerf one ability to make the other useful. That's not a right mindset.
1. If you're using a 12% duration build you cannot use 1st ability at all. 4th is the only way.
2. 1st ability is weak. You cannot count on other players's ability to spot and damage the target to heal themselves. They will simply die trying. And buffing enemy's health 10 times makes it harder to kill.
3. Reviving is cool. But that will make this ability totally useless on arbitration. Because there you die once and for all. And without blessing you die pretty fast.

Blessing is good, not perfect, but at least it is useful. First ability is far from being the best healing option. It could be fine for a DD-oriented frame, but it's too weak for a support. And assuming the blessing it becomes absolete. So why not to make the first ability something that can deal damage/buff all other abilities. For example 1st ability combined with the second could spread over the enemies dealing some dmg and refilling the energy. I dunno... There should be some way to create a synergy.

12% duration builds butcher Trinity's kit anyways

Trinity is strictly the medic, hence why putting damage/damage buff abilities in her kit would seem inappropriate. I believe Blessing should offer something unique to the one, true medic of the squad; and that is the ability to instantly revive allies. Well of Life could even be changed altogether: it would summon a beacon of life essence that emits an invigorating aura; grants allies withing range life-steal and a base health buff.

1 hour ago, TeaHawk said:

Honestly, I'd rather see the first ability be like Saryn's Spores, but for healing.

You set it on one target; no health bonus and not floating in the air, but damaging it heals people. When it dies, nearby enemies are affected by it. When they die, nearby enemies are affected.

That way you don't have to rely as hardcore on Blessing (except for damage reduction).

38 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

12% duration builds butcher Trinity's kit anyways

Trinity is strictly the medic, hence why putting damage/damage buff abilities in her kit would seem inappropriate. I believe Blessing should offer something unique to the one, true medic of the squad; and that is the ability to instantly revive allies. Well of Life could even be changed altogether: it would summon a beacon of life essence that emits an invigorating aura; grants allies withing range life-steal and a base health buff.

It butches all but Blessing. You can still cast it indiscreetly. So you can survive. 2-4-2-4-2-4-2-4 endlessly. And it just works.

->Trinity is strictly the medic
I don't think so. Oberon is strictly the medic. Trinity is kinda energy-bot-medic. And it's much harder too keep your teammates from dying with her than it is with 330% power strength Oberon.
The idea of instant revives sounds interesting though. I'm up to it as long as blessing continues to heal. Well of Life to me is a perfect field for experimentation:

->[...]it would summon a beacon of life essence that emits an invigorating aura; grants allies withing range life-steal and a base health buff.

Well that already sounds better. That could work potentially.

->Honestly, I'd rather see the first ability be like Saryn's Spores, but for healing.
Hmm. Interesting proposal. But it is still lack some synergy with other abilities.

-> You set it on one target; no health bonus and not floating in the air, but damaging it heals people. When it dies, nearby enemies are affected by it. When they die, nearby enemies are affected.
That would be great if you could spread energy and health simultaneously while casting 2nd ability at the same time.

-> That way you don't have to rely as hardcore on Blessing
Indeed. As it can spread it will not rely on duration anymore. That's just what I need.

Edited by TeaHawk

22 hours ago, Atsia said:

Ash already had one of the better first Abilities, I don't think it needs much changes

Better of the other originals, maybe. Overall, not as much if you're not using the augment, or spamming it mindlessly. Since the rework, a mark from his 4th does far more damage for less energy cost per target and over a shorter time. I throw it in occasionally just to stack with other stuff, but unless I'm taking out a camera I'm usually better off with other options at my disposal.

Mag: Is fine

isn't her passive basically a worse version of vacuum that everyone mods for anyway?

edit:oops guess you were only talking about first abilities but I think older frames passives are worth looking at too.

Edited by _Anise_

1 hour ago, _Anise_ said:

isn't her passive basically a worse version of vacuum that everyone mods for anyway?

edit:oops guess you were only talking about first abilities but I think older frames passives are worth looking at too.

That's another subject indeed hehe 😛

On 2019-05-27 at 4:19 AM, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Nova: While her Null Star does provide a 90% damage reduction, you seldom take advantage of it because of how easily the orbs attack enemies (even with minimum range!). I propose that Null Star no longer targets enemies. Let's be honest, absolutely nobody uses it for that. Now, because it no longer targets enemies, Null Star now absorbs part of the damage dealt to Nova (she will be fine thanks to the damage mitigation). When Nova recasts Null Star, the orbs explode; dealing the damage absorbed as Radiation.

I like it. 

But I can't help but feel bad for Nyx, whose 4 again gets outclassed by another Warframe's 1.