Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Touchy Subject:Vauban Rework

TiberiumKing

First of all, I know this is a sore spot for many people, with that, I have given this rework quite a bit of thought. Its less rework more rebuild.

Vauban's passive right now is practically useless. My suggestion for his new passive.

As long as Vauban is not rolling, bullet jumping or sliding, he gains a growing Armor bonus, that tops at 100% armor bonus. When he does any of the movements stated before, he sheds this armor and must rebuild it again over the course of about 30 seconds.

I also think his base armor should be increased a bit.

At this point all of Vauban's abilities are being generally scrapped. First of all, he is supposed to be a Combat Engineer, the man's name itself is Vauban (look it up). Combat Engineers fortify, reinforce, trap, and make things generally quite unpleasant for the enemy to traverse the area.

#1 - Vauban's first ability should be like Ivara's quiver, 4 different Mine types. The Primary difference here is that Vauban does not throw a single mine, but throws a small cluster of mines that spread out to cover a small area. Duration affects how many shots each mine has before it explodes. Efficiency works as it always has. Range affects how many mines are tossed in the cluster and how far they spread from one another. Strength functions as normal.

Shock Mines: Any enemy getting near a shock mine gets zapped, simple enough. When empty of shots, a mine will explode, potentially sending out more damage.

Laser Mines: These mines do not actively fire on targets, they generate a laser grid between themselves, and send high energy pulses into anything crossing the beams. (excellent for locking down door ways, or making a large floor a severe hazard)

Shredder Mines: Armor stripping mines that can also apply Slash damage. These mines have small shaped charges that fire shrapnel clusters at targets. Once empty of shots, explode.

Shield Mines: The Shield Mines either generate a flat, one way shield when tossed at a door way, preventing passage through in one direction. When thrown on the floor, creates a dome at the outer edge of the mine's spread, allowing war frames through, and to fire out of. Once the hit points of the shield are depleted, the mines detonate, causing the shield to burst outwards, knocking enemies down in a radius.

#2 - Vauban's Second ability is, at level 0, the ability to toss a small turret to the floor, wall, or even ceiling. A medium range rapid fire turret dealing primarily Slash and Piercing damage. Duration increases how long the turret's power source lasts. Efficiency works the same, Range increases the turret's targeting and firing range. Strength increases the turret's Hit Points and Damage out put.

Every level of the Power increases the number of turrets by 1, until you have up to 4 at a time.

#3 - Vauban's third ability, Bastille, retains its name, but not its function. As per its name, Bastille meaning Fortress, shall now feel like a fortress. The area created by Bastille now provides Damage reduction, at level 3 being a 90%. It also provides immunity to knock back and knock down while within its area.

#4 - The Final ability of the combat engineer is an exalted turret. Vauban's very own exalted item, a stationary turret he can mount and mod. Primary fire being a rapid fire machine gun firing incendiary rounds (2m blast radius, no knock down). Its secondary fire is a high penetration, slow reload, high damage cannon. The turret itself should have high armor, likely high health because of its lack of movement. (Only Vauban can get into the exalted turret) It should also use Some primary weapon mods, much like most exalted weapons that can utilize mods from other weapon sets.

Those are my general thoughts on the situation, I take critiques and the like. It needs some fine tuning, and I want to leave the exact numbers to DE, of course.

no explosions in his kit, no side effects of using certain abilities, no risks of failure. meh. Not even risk of self damage, friendly fire, high energy costs or drains. Lacks any mode of playing well with itself.

Combat engineer... *looks at engineer from team fortress 2* 

Engineer: "am i a joke to you?"

Edited by (PS4)chibitonka

On 2019-05-27 at 4:07 AM, supernils said:

that sounds super OP, like every ability could be his 4. It reads like you want to make him as good as possible, with no compromise

i mean the 4 doesn't have to be a frames best ability, it's a bad reason for why other abilities in the kit can't punch nicely either. 

In my wishes i see Viban as following - Tech based warframe with tool set revolving around gadgets and explosions:

1) Grenades - Vauban launch grenade at ark with a choice between radiation, explosive, viral, corrosive, magnetic or gas

2) Mines - Vauban place a mine at his location with a choice between disarming, blinding, sleeping type.

3) Bastille - enemies in bastille can move and attack at reduced speed, any status effect or disarm, blind, sleep effect have a chance to ark to an additional enemy.

4) Exalted grenade launcher - launch multiple grenades or mines with a type corresponding to 1 and 2 respectivly. (e.g - press 4 then choose a type of grenade you wish to fire - press fire button, if you want to fire mines instead - press altfire.)

3 hours ago, Miocast said:

In my wishes i see Viban as following - Tech based warframe with tool set revolving around gadgets and explosions:

1) Grenades - Vauban launch grenade at ark with a choice between radiation, explosive, viral, corrosive, magnetic or gas

2) Mines - Vauban place a mine at his location with a choice between disarming, blinding, sleeping type.

3) Bastille - enemies in bastille can move and attack at reduced speed, any status effect or disarm, blind, sleep effect have a chance to ark to an additional enemy.

4) Exalted grenade launcher - launch multiple grenades or mines with a type corresponding to 1 and 2 respectivly. (e.g - press 4 then choose a type of grenade you wish to fire - press fire button, if you want to fire mines instead - press altfire.)

Passive; Pineapple Brigade: Explosive dmg scales up with stored explosives in Bastille or in Vauban's Reserves. 1 explosive stored = 10% bonus damage. Applies to all abilities and his weapons. Explosives in Vaubans Reserves cost no energy to deploy or use. Takes 150% more dmg from explosives, takes 50% less dmg from all other sources.

1. Tesla Grenade Bounce/Plasma Grenades:

• Chucks bounce grenade with bigger area of effect, more ferocious launching speed and sticks onto anything including allies, does aoe knockdown upon activation to enemies only. No use limit when deployed.
  • Charge cast huck plasma grenades that emit radioactive plasma chaining to anything within 20m around it. Radiates enemies, deals radiation and slash dmg + dot. Explodes after 20 seconds fixed duration with risk of self damage.
  • Can be hucked into Bastille for stockpiling.
  • Costs 25 energy and gets cheaper based off explosives deployed/in reserves. 
  • Guaranteed status procs.

2. Minelayer Bide: 

• Reduces dmg taken from bullets, converts ammo pickups to ammo for explosive weapons.
  • Damage taken during this gets converted into buildup, store for hypercharged explosives to use on next magazine of equipped weapon or convert into a dispensing roomba that poops out universal ammo and health pickups for 30 seconds fixed.
  • Hypercharged explosives, universal ammo, health pickups affected by power strength. Efficiency affects roomba spitup rate.
  • Costs 75 energy to cast.
  • Charge cast to spawn roomba, tap cast to hypercharge explosives next magazine on drawn weapon.

3. Bastille:

• Stockpiles grenades and other explosives from all sources, renders them inert before repurposing and deploying them on all enemies caught in Bastille. Enemies stuck with these explode after 10 seconds once freed from Bastille. Enemies tagged with explosives are freed before running trying to take the bomb off. After 10 seconds or if they remove it from their backs it erupts into armor shredding projectiles. The blades will burrow into their bodies. Blade explosion causes knockdown to those within 5m of the afflicted.
  • When they die it triggers phase 2. Electricity coated trip wires erupt from the corpse in 8 random directions stringing it up and arming the explosive charges embedded in the body through the blades from. Tripping the wire twice causes massive explosions to happen. Wire will trip all that cross it. Does self damage on both phases.
  • Retains ability to hold enemies in place and gains means to bounce them when new ones come in or if they are attached to explosives.
  • Requires explosives to be stored to be able to stick anything to target. Damage affected solely by power strength and Vauban's Passive.
  • Range unaffected by ability range but does expand by 5m radius for every 2 explosives stockpiled.
  • Channeling based instead of duration. Eps set at 3 per second base. Costs 40 energy fixed to cast.
  • When uncast/nullified stockpiled explosives turn into pickup for vauban. Uncasting stuns enemies for 5 seconds fixed.
  • Charge cast Bastille double the capacity but set it's timer to 60 seconds fixed. Detonates all stored explosives via launched artillery bombardment. Can deal self dmg to user. Dmg calculated based off how many enemies were affected by Bastille. 
  • Projectiles will home in onto nearby Vortexes if active. 

4. Vortex: 

• Deals dot based off explosives in reserve/deployed. Shatters shields permanently. Draws enemies in heavily towards the center. Cast again to detonate dealing amplified dmg based off how long it's active. Scales up based off how many enemies are pulled in times explosives in reserve/deployed multiplied by dmg dealt. Each new vortex will merge swelling range by 30%, increasing vacuum by 40%.
  • Vacuum intensity speeds up dot rates.
  • Duration fixed at 60 seconds. Each new vortex adds 30s to it's timer. 
  • Will suck in all projectiles/explosives adding their dmg values /4 to it's dot.
  • Explosion upon second cast sucks everything in range towards it before detonation. 2 second delay.
  • Be careful it will do friendly fire on this. But not normal use.
  • If detonated with Bastille victims will spawn roaming roombas spawning shredding mines and bounce grenades. Roomba count affected by Power Strength. Lasts for 2 minutes or till no enemies in sight.
  • Costs 100 energy to cast, 50 for each subsequent one fed into existing vortex. 

Notes:

• Abilities nullified drop reserve explosive pickups for Vauban.
  • Grenades need to be touched by nullifier bubble to be nullified.
  • Reserve explosive pickups aren't nullifiable.
  • Vauban loses half Explosive reserves per second in nullifier bubbles.
  • Ability efficiency affects conversion rates in Bide and Bastille. Higher efficiency means more produced per converted material.

Just pineapple brigade Vauban fun 😄

Edited by (PS4)chibitonka

Came here because Wisp has replaced another of vauban's abilities - her shock reservoir has a base 100% proc chance, and automatically targets 5 or more enemies at once - and since it self-latches, it's a more effective version of the Tesla grenade stuck to an ally.  It's far cheaper than placing a similar number of tesla grenades to yield the same effect, and it's still valuable in high level content because of the base 100% status proc chance.

I've actually got My own rework idea for Vauban. I posted it shortly before Wisp launched. It's um... a bit too long to post as a non main topic. But I suggest you check that one out if you want the in depth specifics as I talk bout S D E R mods, augments, synergy, and why I give vauban what he has. It allows for build variety and still keeps vauban as a skill capped warframe. he plays with channeling, overshield, and chaos. Inspiration came from Vauban's Profile.
I don't get rid of minelayer but I do make it better. The mines are worth it. I also give him 2 new abilities. Vauban is a really hard warframe to work with if were trying to rework him but I believe he should remain true to what the profile video said he does. He puts himself in danger to cause chaos in the battlefield. He lays traps and makes the battlefield itself a weapon. Again check out my "Mechanic Vauban Rework Concept if you want to see the in depth but i'll cut it down so you can get a good feel for it.
It's a bit powerful atm and needs to be tuned down a bit, but I feel it's a good start. 
"Mechanic" Vauban Rework Concept

Vauban Prime
Armor 50 100
Energy 225 225 increased to 250 250
Health 300 300 lowered to 225 225
Shields 225 300 Increased to 250 325
Sprint Speed 1.10 1.10

Passive: Dismantle, Vauban deals 25% extra damage to enemies who are incapacitated or unable to move.
*Honestly, solid passive DE, now why does VAUBAN of all frames get a good passive and Ember doesn't... beyond me."

{{{{{ABILITY 1}}}}}
Mine Layer (Tesla) (Bounce) (Trip Laser) (Barrier) (Concuss) (Shred) (Bastille)
Tesla: Shocks enemies, can be charged to release three and status chance is boosted. Tesla can link together and deals more damage the more it shocks
Bounce: Bounces allies and enemies, makes bounced enemies vulnerable to channeling damage, increases speed of rolls, backflips, knockdown recovery, and dodges
Trip Laser: Trips enemies that walk over it, "tripping" the enemy. Tripped enemies can be seen through walls and take more damage from turret.
Barrier: Number of shields lost from max is turned into armor. If shields regenerate, armor is decreased to fit. (Ex. 100 shields missing, 50 armor gained, armor decreases or increases the more or less shields are missing.
Concuss: Deploy a pulsing aoe grenade that may stagger enemies, strips 10% armor per pulse, and reduces enemy aim.
Shred: Throws a grandae that explodes in a 6m radius. 25% of armor and shields stripped is applied to all enemies in the explosion radius.
Bastille: Well, it deploys the bastille we know and love, just it's smaller and picks up less enemies. 

AUGMENT- *A bit too complex to post here, sorry but I can tell you that the augment also gives you a super charged *an even longer charge* option which allows a mine to become a transporter. you can walk on these mines in the general direction of another transporter and transport to that location. Every other mine has it's own little change to it, but again it's too complex to explain here.

{{{{{ABILITY 2}}}}}
Sentry Turret

Vauban can deploy a sentry turret that can be mounted for increased fire rate. Turret is stationary and deals more damage to tripped enemies, otherwise the turret does some ok damage.

AUGMENT- Sentry Munitions, Turret can no longer be mounted but it turns into a unique ammo restore. Turret will give tenno the Sentry Munitions buff. Ontop of these augment things it restores ammo to tenno nearby.
-Allies under the effect of Sentry Munitions have a 50% larger clip
 -Allies under the effect of Sentry Munitions have a 50% reload speed increase
-Allies under the effect of Sentry Munitions have a 50% less recoil
-Sentry Munitions causes turret to attack enemies that have been marked by Sentry Munition shots.

-Sentry turret can attack enemies marked by Sentry Munitions from farther away.
-Enemies hit with Sentry Munitions cause sentry turrets to deal 50% more damage to target.

{{{{{ABILITY 3}}}}}
Citadel Steampunk

Vauban gains 90% channeling efficiency and 250% channeling damage. Every enemy killed boosts finisher animation speed and channeling damage. Turrets gain a damage boost to current channeling damage that's been gained. (ex. 250% channeling damage / 0% boost)  (300% channeling damage / 50% damage boost)

AUGMENT- Steam Engine, kills from sentry turret or Citadel Steampunk increase duration of first three abilities by 1 second.

{{{{{ABILITY 4}}}}}
Vortex
Vortex is well... vortex. You can hold vortex down to cause it to pulse extra damage.

There is alot I skipped over such as tesla boosting vortex dps and shred causing enemies in vortex to blow up for % based health, but overall I think it's a good place to start tweaking vauban's power down. It gives him a turret that he and allies can mount, but he gets more buffs to his turret if he's actually out there doing damage. His minelayer gets a well needed buff. Allies on turrets can see "tripped" enemies. His augment to minelayer, specifically the concuss opens staggered enemies to finishers which works with his third ability. etc etc. Lots of mechanics I don't go over.

Wow even with a super cut down version this post is so long... damn. Anyways, I think the issue we have with vauban is that he keeps getting punched into a ball and used as someone else's ability, or gets made irrelevant. The last time I saw a vauban was during raids, which were removed. The issue with your proposed rework is also that it takes away what vauban unique. He should be a high skill cap warframe with low survivability. No damage reduction should be in his kit. Yes I gave him armor and such, but at most he can get an extra 200-300 armor. and that would require all his shields to be gone. He can still easily be blown up by burst damage such as a sniper, bombard, or corrupted crewman because the armor won't take effect unless his shields are gone.
He needs to remain a warframe that has low survivability compared to other warframes and should have a high skillcap. having an immunity mine, 90% damage reduction, 

Also his passive change you suggest... why? I'm going to assume you don't know that enemies caught in vortex and caught in bastille are turned into an "unconscious state" which enables him to do that extra damage from his passive. He's actually one of the few frames that has a themed passive which works.

I suggest that you look at Vauban's profile video if you don't get why I said he should have no sort of damage reduction. Or why I keep the minelayer and trap focused abilities, or why I give him a boost if he goes out to attack enemies putting a squishy frame closer to damage while animation locking him. It's his thing. He risks his life to do what he does. Overshields and SOME armor won't give him survivability enough to facetank a lvl 120 bombard.

On 2019-05-27 at 4:37 PM, supernils said:

that sounds super OP, like every ability could be his 4. It reads like you want to make him as good as possible, with no compromise

His entire kit is trash. His 1 is useless. His 2 is useless. His three was very useful but now with raids gone and DE ignoring the bug when reported multiple times made his 3rd useless. His 4th is a good ability but has its range choked. You can never built a vauban for anything with his current stats. Everything vauban does, other frame does it better ex: Volt, gara, garuda, nidus, etc. 

His entire kit should be reset or he should be put down and straight up removed from the game to make some justice to his name. 

On 2019-05-30 at 12:10 PM, MythicPulse said:

Came here because Wisp has replaced another of vauban's abilities - her shock reservoir has a base 100% proc chance, and automatically targets 5 or more enemies at once - and since it self-latches, it's a more effective version of the Tesla grenade stuck to an ally.  It's far cheaper than placing a similar number of tesla grenades to yield the same effect, and it's still valuable in high level content because of the base 100% status proc chance.

This....it can't be stressed enough ffs.....so agitating...and that's just 1/3 of her 1st ability....how hard was it to give that treatment to him?? -___-