Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A detailed inspection of the mechanics of Wisp's Sol Gate

DeVieEtMort

Hello everyone. I originally did not want to create a thread about this, so I commented on a thread about a technique or an "exploit" regarding Sol gate, but it seemed like no one was going to make this thread. Soooo, today I am going show the results of painstakingly trying to list the damage of Sol Gate with respect to time and various parameters.. 

But first of all, 

WARNING: POTATO QUALITY

HOW SOL GATE WORKS?

Video 1: Sol gate (uncharged) vs Corrupted Heavy Gunner (Lvl 110; 96.666% damage reduction)

All values are taken with a lvl 30 Wisp having no mod except for Primed Flow to facilitate testing. The damage according to the UI done by Sol gate is 1000 Radiation/Heat damage. Due to the Corrupted Heavy Gunner's armor (96.666%, taken from Wiki) , the expected damage becomes 33.34 Radiation/Heat damage.

Damage ticks seem to happen every half a second

Damage

Tick

Radiation

Heat

Raw Damage

Change

Table 1: Mixed tabulation of an uncharged Sol Gate's damage ticks

Table 1 shows the tabulation of the damages and their corresponding status proc. All ticks (excluding burn damage) have a proc attached to it, i.e. a tick either has a radiation proc or heat proc. Raw damage shows the damage devoid of multipliers due to the Heavy Gunner having cloned flesh (+25% to Heat). the column Change shows the supposed damage scaling from hitting a target multiple times.

At a glance, the damage scaling seems inconsistent, but that is because it doesn't scale only as a function of time, but also to the proc attached to it as shown in Table 2 below.

Damage

Tick

Radiation

Damage %

Change

Tick

Heat

Damage %

Change

50%

-

50%

-

100%

100%

150%

150%

200%

200%

250%

250%

300%

300%

350%

350%

400%

400%

450%

450%

500%

500%

500%

500%

500%

Change = 50%

*Damage % for radiation is based on UI damage 1000 reduced by enemy of 96.66% which gives 33.34.

*Damage % for heat is based on UI damage 1000 reduced by enemy of 96.66% with a cloned flesh multiplier of 1.25 which gives

Table 2: Uncharged Sol Gate damage tick tabulation

In this table, when treating the procs as the element of the damage tick, the damage scaling become regular. However, at the 10th tick of any element, the damage scaling stops and the damage stays the same. Remembering that expected damage based on the UI is 33.34 damage, we will arrive at a damage scaling of 50% per tick and 500% being the maximum damage obtainable from an uncharged Sol Gate. This occurs at the 10th tick of that elemental damage which means that maximum damage per tick is obtained after 9 seconds.

__

[TO ADD: Charged Sol gate]

__

Video 4. Test whether damage scaling inherent to the beam or inherent to the target

The purpose of this video is to determine whether or not ticks on multiple targets quickly increase the damage to its maximum damage cap or the damage scales based on how many ticks a target receives.

At 0:04 alone, the damage received by any of the 4 target  is 21 Heat damage. At 0:05, all targets received 42 Heat damage Quickly, we can conclude that damage scaling is inherent to the target, i.e. no matter how many times Sol gate has caused a damage tick, the damage scaling depends on how many time a target has received a tick. 

Video 5. Test on the rate of Corrosive procs

Looking at the video, every tick deals a corrosive proc. Corrosive procs then happen every 0.5 seconds

CONCLUSIONS:

1. Each tick happens at 0.5 seconds.

2. Each tick has an element with its own modifiers.

3. Corrosive procs happen every tick.

4. Uncharged/Unboosted Sol gate has a damage cap of 500% the damage listed in the UI per tick. This happens after about 9 seconds from hitting the target..

5. Charged/Boosted Sol gate has a damage cap of approximately 2100% the damage listed in the UI per tick. (Video reference not congruent to other tests. I apologize for this mistake)

5. Charged/Boosted Sol gate has a damage cap of 1000% the damage listed in the UI per tick.

6. Damage scaling happens per damage tick that a target receives, not by how many times Sol Gate has ticked on any amount of enemy.

If you played Ash before, Wisp's Sol Gate is no different from blade storm. The most effective and efficient way to kill multiple targets with Sol gate is to spin your mouse like a madman as shown below.

218% Power strength Wisp with TTK of approximately 10 seconds.

And for comparison, here is an Amprex killing the same set of targets.

About 9 seconds  with corrosive, ungodly riven and vigilante set bonus.

If you read until this point, thank you and have a nice day.

Edited by DeVieEtMort
Erroneous data removed.
  • Like 6

Wow, excellent job. This seems to confirm most of what I stated in the other thread. Granted, the focus beam is more powerful relative to the regular than I had imagined. Still I feel the damage ramp should be similar to beam weapons. I find it's interesting that it alternates procs like that. Does that 1/3 the rate of corrosive procs when buffed? 

Il y a 4 heures, F8ted a dit :

Wow, excellent job. This seems to confirm most of what I stated in the other thread. Granted, the focus beam is more powerful relative to the regular than I had imagined. Still I feel the damage ramp should be similar to beam weapons. I find it's interesting that it alternates procs like that. Does that 1/3 the rate of corrosive procs when buffed? 

I forgot to put a video in (I'll edit later). Corrosive procs every tick. It's like Hunter munition, an extra proc added on top of the existing proc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeVieEtMort said:

I forgot to put a video in (I'll edit later). Corrosive procs every tick. It's like Hunter munition, an extra proc added on top of the existing proc.

Cool, I ended up running the test myself, I began to be concerned. All things considered, the ability is quite thorough, it just lacks proper tuning. Since the only thing that scales is the damage amount, I am not entirely sure why they made it tic so slowly given their precedent in game. We can't use it to ramp up any hidden slash or toxin procs so what's up? Heat doesn't stack and neither does radiation, for most Warframes with an armor strip ability they reach 100% in a single cast if albeit some built ability strength. Thing should tic like every tenth of a second. That's almost as fast as beam weapons, puts an appreciable amount of corrosive procs on the enemy to remove armor, and let's you actually focus the ability on something to make it die. In fact, they just really need to copy/paste beam weapons' mechanics into this ability. Then balance from there. Basically impossible to infer its relative strength with rules so different than what already exists.  

so basically Amprex kills the same mobs faster. this was my concern, and that's my point - as long as a high end, forma'd gun outdps's Sol, there is no reason to cast it. that's what needs to change. ok, it has corrosive procs. but so does almost every other weapon. they need to increase tick rate to match standard beams (i think it's 0.2). or add additional utility to it (i.e. heals teammates as well).

really appreciate your research, thanks.

Edited by Ikyr0

17 hours ago, Ikyr0 said:

so basically Amprex kills the same mobs faster. this was my concern, and that's my point - as long as a high end, forma'd gun outdps's Sol, there is no reason to cast it. that's what needs to change. ok, it has corrosive procs. but so does almost every other weapon. they need to increase tick rate to match standard beams (i think it's 0.2). or add additional utility to it (i.e. heals teammates as well).

really appreciate your research, thanks.

They did explicitly stated that it's with a Riven. If you need a rivened and fairly powerful gun to out damage it then there's plenty of reason to use it for more casual players.

I'd still love to see it buffed into a decent way to pop Synovias in a more casual run, but I doubt that's going to happen.

• Like 1

Il y a 4 heures, (NSW)Sniperfox47 a dit :

They did explicitly stated that it's with a Riven. If you need a rivened and fairly powerful gun to out damage it then there's plenty of reason to use it for more casual players.

I'd still love to see it buffed into a decent way to pop Synovias in a more casual run, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Btw, the riven was +Crit chance and +Reload speed. Lady luck doesn't want to give me a godlier riven.

1 hour ago, Talinthis said:

you get 50% damage increase and corossive if you use her reservoir's

I'm sure OP is aware. The point of the post was to gather the data for the ability raw. A slight change in armor amount will change the numbers displayed, due to this the corrosive procs would cause some interesting numbers and add an extra variable to the data. Absolutely it is more effective, we would definitely use it in a real world situation like that. This was to determine the rate at which the ability increased in damage and determine how far it increases. 

Here's a question, then, though you'd need someone to help test it: Does it have any benefit from any of the ally elemental damage buff augments, like Oberon's Smite Infusion or Volt's Shock Trooper?

They usually don't seem to buff abilities, but sometimes there are random arbitrary exceptions. It doesn't seem like there's really any thorough listing for this, either, the wiki only lists like three examples, and one of them is mesa's peacemaker which functions like a weapon regardless.

Edited by OvisCaedo

• 3 weeks later...