Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't Close Mod Configuration Screen By Hiting "apply" (Small Easy To Implement Improvement)

zelgaris

Why? Let's follow simple logic based on how we normally proceed when installing mods to our equipment.

In which order are you fusing and installing mods?

1) Fusing the mods in Mod Collection and then installing them into warframe/weapon and hoping you remembered the available capacity and polarity of slots correctly.

2) Installing the mods into the warframe/weapon and then fusing them according to the remaining capacity of the warframe/weapon.

I assume 2) is the commonly used approach since we already have our mods equipped this way and we can't overshot the capacity, since the game don't allow us to overshot it.  It's just more user friendly than fusing some mods and then trying to find the one we fused and install them into the weapon/warframe.

So considering the 2) is a common way to install and fuse mods.

I assume the following happened to you before and happens all the time.

Imagine the situation - you have free capacity on your Gram and you decide to install some mods on it, so you install them into free slots.

Then you notice you have still some capacity left so it's time to fuse some installed mods.

You immediately click MODS button to access the Mod Collection, where you can fuse mods. But that won't happen, because well known popup appears.

wf-not-this-again.jpg

So you have two options: hit yes and you lose the mod configuration, so you have to install them one more time, or hit no, to stay in the mod configuration screen. But the option you really want and that is saving the Mod Configuration and accessing the Mod Collection, where you can fuse mods, isn't there.

So you click NO or hit ESC, because you don't want to lose the changes.

You then click Apply, to accept the changes in mod configuration.

Clicking apply will close the Mod Configuration screen and you are back in Arsenal.

You have to click the Upgrade button of the weapon again to access the Mod Configuration and then you have to click MODS button to be finally able to fuse the mods...

You clearly see why having APPLY button close the Mod Configuration screen is bad and only complicate things by adding additional step or two (according to changes in mod configuration screen).

---

There is currently also an alternative to this and that is after accepting the mod configuration of the weapon,

click directly on MODS in the Arsenal.

This will open Mod Collection as expected, but when you click on Installed mods tab, you will see only the installed mods on the last item you were visiting the Mod Configuration screen (no matter whether you actually installed some mods or just clicked on the Update button).

But honestly... this looks like a bug.

I would actually expect the Installed Mods tab showing all installed mods on every piece of equipment (not the lat one opened). And it makes also switching between Mod Configuration screen ad Mod Collection even more complicated than it actually is (in case you already have all necessary mods installed and you are just thinking which one to fuse).

---

Anyway, the solution to streamline the fusing and mod installation (while leaving almost everything intact) is:

1) Make the APPLY button not closing the Mod Configuration screen but instead hide the button or gray it out and maybe show a little onscreen message saying "mod installation accepted" (but for god's sake, don't make it a pop up we need to accept).

2) When we forgot to click APPLY and we click directly on MODS, the most probable reason we are doing it is because we want to fuse the mods so naturally, if you think there is a need for a popup, allow us to decide between staying in the mod configuration screen or saving the configuration and going into the Mod Collection. Using the current (above mentioned) popup, which is the same one that is used on CANCEL button is bad.

Thank you

sounds good, though generally i'm fine with apply closing the menu, because i'm done. some people like to compulsively hit save though, so they should be able to have what they want ;)

mostly, i'd love for the Arsenal to actually save all changes when you hit apply, instead of requiring you to close the arsenal to fully save.

clannies mention this to me a lot, we're getting ready to do whatever, and someone doesn't have the right gun equipped or doesn't have the right mods equipped, because apply doesn't actually mean apply, it means close or something. 

if a player changes weapons, sync that to the host if they're in a lobby. if they press apply to apply mods, sync that(if it needs to be).

don't worry about network clogging or whatever is the reason what it's like it currently is, a few extra bytes of data to actually confirm loadout changes is worth it. 

It's a sorry sight, seeing "logic" used as a description of reasoning... Logic is a beautiful science, but it has very limited application, and it's one of the most misinterpreted terms. It's an ancient science that studies the rules that make our "conclusion building routine" tick. Majority of our reasoning has nothing to do with logic at all. After a small "starting threshold" is breached, proper application of logic becomes as natural as walking. From that point onwards, thinking and intelligence are all about taking things into consideration. Considering the right things at the right times is what makes up the majority of what we call intelligence and differentiates geniuses from the rest. Main reason of their uniqueness and value is their "weirdness". Being "weird", they have a unique viewpoint and consider the things that the majority would not, thus generating conclusions that the majority could not reach. Ironically, for the very same reason, they fail to reach a lot of common conclusions, and a lot of their conclusions are rarely understood. Consequentially, thanks to a widespread and unchecked pride and bloated self-esteem of the people often impairing people's judgement and ability to self criticize, those valuable conclusions are rarely respected, and even less rarely adopted by the rest of society (or at least modern society).

Anyway, on the actual topic...

You missed several factors that influence our mod application routine.

- Sometimes it's worth it to remove a mod in order to install an upgraded version of a different mod. Also some of us keep multiple configurations in mind when fusing mods. Consequentially, a lot of us don't care if the mod exceeds the capacity of a particular equipment piece.

- By the time there are mods to fuse we already have mods installed. Fusing the mod that isn't installed can be done whenever we want and however we want. Fusing the mod while keeping it installed can be done from the equipment screen and needs no "applying". And if we need to remove a mod we can fuse it from the arsenal along with other mods that we removed from different equipment.

- Consequentially (from the 2 of the above) most of us are more likely to remove our mods before fusing them then we are to equip them before fusing them. And when mods are not equipped, "mod list from arsenal" is all we need for fusion.

- Last, and most important, applying a reconfiguration of mods isn't as much about fusing as it is about applying a reconfiguration of mods. Even though I tend to dislike it when games are doing automatic UI manipulations, I consider this particular UI manipulation to be a good idea, simply because I'm so much more likely to want to close the equipment sub-screen after applying a reconfiguration than I am to want to keep it open.

In an ideal world though, there'd be two buttons. One that says "apply" and one that says "ok". The later should be the one that changes equipment and closes the sub-screen, and the former should only change the equipment. As long as there's only one button though, I want it the way it is.

It's a sorry sight, seeing "logic" used as a description of reasoning... Logic is a beautiful science, but it has very limited application, and it's one of the most misinterpreted terms. It's an ancient science that studies the rules that make our "conclusion building routine" tick. Majority of our reasoning has nothing to do with logic at all. After a small "starting threshold" is breached, proper application of logic becomes as natural as walking. From that point onwards, thinking and intelligence are all about taking things into consideration. Considering the right things at the right times is what makes up the majority of what we call intelligence and differentiates geniuses from the rest. Main reason of their uniqueness and value is their "weirdness". Being "weird", they have a unique viewpoint and consider the things that the majority would not, thus generating conclusions that the majority could not reach. Ironically, for the very same reason, they fail to reach a lot of common conclusions, and a lot of their conclusions are rarely understood. Consequentially, thanks to a widespread and unchecked pride and bloated self-esteem of the people often impairing people's judgement and ability to self criticize, those valuable conclusions are rarely respected, and even less rarely adopted by the rest of society (or at least modern society).

Anyway, on the actual topic...

You missed several factors that influence our mod application routine.

- Sometimes it's worth it to remove a mod in order to install an upgraded version of a different mod. Also some of us keep multiple configurations in mind when fusing mods. Consequentially, a lot of us don't care if the mod exceeds the capacity of a particular equipment piece.

- By the time there are mods to fuse we already have mods installed. Fusing the mod that isn't installed can be done whenever we want and however we want. Fusing the mod while keeping it installed can be done from the equipment screen and needs no "applying". And if we need to remove a mod we can fuse it from the arsenal along with other mods that we removed from different equipment.

- Consequentially (from the 2 of the above) most of us are more likely to remove our mods before fusing them then we are to equip them before fusing them. And when mods are not equipped, "mod list from arsenal" is all we need for fusion.

- Last, and most important, applying a reconfiguration of mods isn't as much about fusing as it is about applying a reconfiguration of mods. Even though I tend to dislike it when games are doing automatic UI manipulations, I consider this particular UI manipulation to be a good idea, simply because I'm so much more likely to want to close the equipment sub-screen after applying a reconfiguration than I am to want to keep it open.

In an ideal world though, there'd be two buttons. One that says "apply" and one that says "ok". The later should be the one that changes equipment and closes the sub-screen, and the former should only change the equipment. As long as there's only one button though, I want it the way it is.

Reasonable and the last paragraph is exactly what I thought before (having two buttons), but then I looked at what DE is doing and decide mentioning another button is even less probable to happen considering the state and usability of the UI and how it (not)changed since alpha:)

Plus god damn one.

I usually hit apply just for assurance, because I leave a certain set on a guy, apply it, then go back to that set to add more mods, and if I don't like the set I picked, then I cancel, and all the mods I wanted are still on, but the other stuff I didn't has gone, without having to remove it all, or remove it one by one.

Just some nice little bonuses to make things a little bit easier.

BTW we are talking Apply button here, but we all know the one of main issues of mod configuration/installation is that @(*()$ compatible mods bar, which is showing every single compatible mod we have and it doesn't even show us, which mod is already installed somewhere else and it has pages instead of proper horizontal bar.

Edited by zelgaris