Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Screen darkening effect is causing migraines and seizures. DE PLEASE!

Aliothale

[ Note: One of my Twitch viewers had a seizure because of this. This is NOT okay.]

I don't know when this was added but nearly 50% of my time spent playing the game lately is with a darkened screen. Meleeing? Darkened screen. Wisp ult? Darkened screen. Hitting teammates with my Opticor as they run in front of me? Darkened screen. Point blank killing enemies? Darkened screen. WHYYYYYYYY?

I'm assuming this is some sort of damage vignette added.. but its terrible. This is one of the worst things I've ever experienced in Warframe and it doesn't belong here at all. This is something added as a suppression effect in FPS games.. it does not belong in Warframe. Give me an option to turn it off or just get rid of it PLEASE.

Looks like it's going to be another vacation away from Warframe once again. If you're going to be adding FPS elements to Warframe please start with some better sensitivity options and custom crosshairs instead of ruining player experience.

How my game normally looks vs. Darkened Screen effect:
BsUNPom.jpg49wNc1p.jpgVppRrx7.jpg3HGoAjw.jpg

Edited by Aliothale
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

share your ingame graphic settings 

Nothing changed, I just came back from a 3 month break. I do notice there's an effects intensity option but that can't be it can it?
1JB4GMi.jpgociyiop.jpgRNKTkke.jpg

Edited by Aliothale

I noticed that to, things like Arca Plasmor do this as example also, it is rather annoying and i not changed any graphic settings.

I slowly belive DE wants us to go blind or so, effect storms on Eidolons, flash grenades, own effects like this are annyoing or to bright like Wisp's 4th ability.

Please DE, tune down such effects for god sake, its nice having something flashy but i literally get headache of most of this.

Edited by Marine027

16 minutes ago, Marine027 said:

I noticed that to, things like Arca Plasmor do this as example also, it is rather annoying and i not changed any graphic settings.

I slowly belive DE wants us to go blind or so, effect storms on Eidolons, flash grenades, own effects like this are annyoing or to bright like Wisp's 4th ability.

Please DE, tune down such effects for god sake, its nice having something flashy but i literally get headache of most of this.

One day, I'm going to have a seizure by just doing tridolons

7 minutes ago, Sir_Carl said:

One day, I'm going to have a seizure by just doing tridolons

It's no laughing matter either, one of my viewers on Twitch had a seizure yesterday watching me play because of this. I now have to put a [Seizure Warning] in my stream title.. it's ridiculous.

Edited by Aliothale

For me the screen darkening starts with the wisp update, i have to say sometimes it looks nice but most of the time i feel like i run into a darkroom, losing orientation and track of enemys.

If this is intended, may add the option to toggle it or something like that...

Oh and with that seizure stuff ... warframe warns about the possibility that some people may could be harmed, so may also warn your viewers.

Edited by Shonaney

Imagine having color sight deficiencies, and the screen darkens.  I literally cannot see anything, just black and blobs of gray and brown.  Makes playing that is sometimes a little difficult, even more difficult.  :/  I was wondering if I was crazy, I noticed the darkening and was like, this is even harder to see, what the heck is going on.

On 2019-06-01 at 7:26 AM, Shonaney said:

For me the screen darkening starts with the wisp update, i have to say sometimes it looks nice but most of the time i feel like i run into a darkroom, losing orientation and track of enemys.

If this is intended, may add the option to toggle it or something like that...

Oh and with that seizure stuff ... warframe warns about the possibility that some people may could be harmed, so may also warn your viewers.

Yea I didn't have this problem until the Wisp update either. Dunno what's up hopefully DE will see this.

Yes, I've had issues ever since the Wisp update as well, i've had to mess around w my monitor settings because everything is too dark(I've never had to do this before).  It started w the new index map which was insanely dark, but another player said it was fine for him so lightening my settings did seem to help but I had to put like my brightness to the max.

I run my graphics at a much lower level (Rip my computer) and I also have noticed this issue. I believe it's tied to the increasingly intense energy effects that happen from weapons. When they get bright enough, the game will try to compensate by adding a shader over the screen, but in reality it makes the game look over saturated and very dark. 

Edited by GhostlyMariner

After more testing it's definitely a lighting issue with self-damage. Not as noticeable on brighter maps. The problem is, it's producing this effect even when you aren't taking self damage. While meleeing with Valkyr in the Simulcrum with my Twin Krohkur my screen was pretty much black the whole time. This is just terrible.. and is making the game still extremely difficult to play without getting migraines and general uncomfort. I don't even want to stream Warframe anymore because I don't want to risk causing a viewer to have more seizures.

Edited by Aliothale

On 2019-06-08 at 2:48 PM, NightmareT12 said:

I'll repeat myself, are you guys sure this doesn't have to do with Color Correction? Because it totally looks and sounds like one of the filters Color Correction would add, similar to changing the screen color when using certain abilities.

Color correction on/off makes no difference.

Turn off color correction

And

Additive exposure

And

Lower effect intensity to 0

See if problem persists. If yes,

Turn off glare

Bloom

That really ought to disable the effect. Then raise effect intensity up from 0 in increments of 10 or 20 till you like the result.

DE tries to write a lot of their own graphic engine so they don't have to rely on a specific technology. This allows them to port the game to various platforms but the implementation isn't always top notch. Because we tend to play the game so much some effects aren't actually good comparing to say just playing a one off horror shooter where this effect may have been more appropriate.

On 2019-06-11 at 5:49 AM, TaylorsContraction said:

Turn off color correction

And

Additive exposure

And

Lower effect intensity to 0

See if problem persists. If yes,

Turn off glare

Bloom

That really ought to disable the effect. Then raise effect intensity up from 0 in increments of 10 or 20 till you like the result.

DE tries to write a lot of their own graphic engine so they don't have to rely on a specific technology. This allows them to port the game to various platforms but the implementation isn't always top notch. Because we tend to play the game so much some effects aren't actually good comparing to say just playing a one off horror shooter where this effect may have been more appropriate.

Making my game look like crap just to get rid of this effect is not acceptable TBH. It needs to be addressed by DE and removed somehow. I can't even run around and melee anymore because I can't see a damn thing most of the time. This is what it looks like when meleeing. Adjusting effects intensity does nothing either.

KWYoLUr.jpgo90dLjr.jpgUEyQpjG.jpg

I too have been noticing this recently and tonight I have come to check the forums for solutions and it seems like there isn't any, I've tried most of what was suggested and no changes no matter where I am. If this is an effect added to the game it needs to have a toggle, or it needs to be turned off. I personally don't see how this adds anything to the game but a headache and it makes it unplayable.

Please DE fix this!

• 2 weeks later...

Still getting migraines from this effect. Seriously DE.. please do something about this. It's making the game really hard to enjoy. Playing with a Nova is next to impossible without seeing this effect constantly.

Edited by Aliothale

The problem is Dynamic exposure and effects intensity in options.

Dynamic exposure fails to darken a lot of effects, including particles, Volt's shield, Ignis Wraith weapon, most weapons, and lit up signs in Fortuna. This can cause runaway darkening to pitch black, especially if Effects intensity is at 200.

Warframe appearance, bottom right, Captura, Fortuna or anything. Can manually adjust exposure. See a problem?

Exposure adjustment in Captura requires dynamic exposure on, high dynamic range on, and some other stuff turned on in options.

Then there is limitations with some graphics options.
Bloom and Glare both need Dynamic exposure on to work.
Dynamic exposure need High dynamic range on to work.

There have been an older topic about dynamic exposure dimming problem. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1099254-game-massively-dimming/

Edited by sam686
added more info

9 minutes ago, sam686 said:

The problem is Dynamic exposure and effects intensity in options.

Dynamic exposure fails to darken a lot of effects, including particles, Volt's shield, and lit up signs in Fortuna. This can cause runaway darkening to pitch black, especially if Effects intensity is at 200.

Warframe appearance, bottom right, Captura, Fortuna or anything. Can manually adjust exposure. See a problem?

Exposure adjustment in Captura requires dynamic range on to work and some other stuff turned on in options.

Then there is limitations with some graphics options.
Bloom and Glare both need Dynamic exposure on to work.
Dynamic exposure need High dynamic range on to work.

Great work! Thanks for pinpointing the problem here. This should hopefully provide DE with some insight to fix the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Boop! 

Still does this.  Never noticed it until a few days ago.  Arca Plasmor hitting a wall/object in front of you, abilities, etc, all cause this problem, and yes turning off Adaptive Exposure will 'fix' it, but it makes the game too bright/dark without the effect. 

Either way, something NEEDS to be done about it.  I hurts my eyes both ways, so I've had to take a break from the game, which is sad because I LOVE this game!!!!