Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

AFKing in Index

Maka.Bones

I keep getting in a lot of games with players just flat out staying AFK during the entire mission. Some of them just get on excal umbra, and keep their operator outside so umbra can play for them. Others don't even try that much; they just hide somewhere never to be seen. 

It would be awesome if we could somehow report this, and kick them out of the game if & when they're doing this.  

Edited by Maka.Bones

Yes, report system in game is sh*t. We can report player for language,but cant report for cheating, trolling, afking, leeching or botting. Super wise move,DE. Sure, we have to go to the site and submit long tickets for this...its our job,after all,yeah.

So,answering ur question -all u can do - go to support and submit ticket. Dont ask why the system is so stupid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

I keep getting in a lot of games with players just flat out staying AFK during the entire mission. Some of them just get on excal umbra, and keep their operator outside so umbra can play for them. Others don't even try that much; they just hide somewhere never to be seen. 

It would be awesome if we could somehow report this, and kick them out of the game if & when they're doing this.  

Excal Umbra isn't AFK, its the Warframe's special ability. DE designed him to have a Specter mode.

Its extremely effective; Excal in specter mode, utilizes all your weapon Mods including Rivens; while simultaneously scaling up with enemy level.

This means he's basically double-dipping in terms of damage scaling. the npc specters only scale by level but have no mods; while tenno have mods but no level scale.

additionally, when using Excal's ability, you cannot be 'AFK' he still takes damage and can be stunned or 'killed' and as an Operator you have to babysit him. periodically refill his health with your Vazarin focus abilities, reposition him when he goes !Lerroy Jenkins! and starts doing dumb stuff.

The biggest problem with Excal, is that currently the scoreboard is Glitched and reports his kills with _blank_ names, then doesn't add them too the tally at the end of match. If DE would fix this one thing, so people could actually witness how much he was carrying the game; people wouldn't complain so much about his supposedly not helping

-note that this seems to be a client/host issue. If Excal is Host, his kills show up in the scoreboard at end of game.

anyway OP

if you don't like how people are playing in Public Matchmaking

Leave Squad, go to Recruitment and say "Hosting Index x Rounds, No Excal, no AFK, play My Way or GTFO"

I'm sure that would keep everyone happy and avoid conflicts.

2 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

Excal Umbra isn't AFK, its the Warframe's special ability. DE designed him to have a Specter mode.

Its extremely effective; Excal in specter mode, utilizes all your weapon Mods including Rivens; while simultaneously scaling up with enemy level.

This means he's basically double-dipping in terms of damage scaling. the npc specters only scale by level but have no mods; while tenno have mods but no level scale.

additionally, when using Excal's ability, you cannot be 'AFK' he still takes damage and can be stunned or 'killed' and as an Operator you have to babysit him. periodically refill his health with your Vazarin focus abilities, reposition him when he goes !Lerroy Jenkins! and starts doing dumb stuff.

The biggest problem with Excal, is that currently the scoreboard is Glitched and reports his kills with _blank_ names, then doesn't add them too the tally at the end of match. If DE would fix this one thing, so people could actually witness how much he was carrying the game; people wouldn't complain so much about his supposedly not helping

-note that this seems to be a client/host issue. If Excal is Host, his kills show up in the scoreboard at end of game.

anyway OP

if you don't like how people are playing in Public Matchmaking

Leave Squad, go to Recruitment and say "Hosting Index x Rounds, No Excal, no AFK, play My Way or GTFO"

I'm sure that would keep everyone happy and avoid conflicts.

No dude, they're literally AFK from start to finish. As in they don't do anything with their operator; they're just standing there. They don't reply to chat or move around, but they do just let umbra hang out... And since they're not moving around at least, umbra is also just standing there taking pot shots at anything that happens to come by--if they're in open air. Some of them stay hidden in a hole that doesn't even get much enemy traffic.

This doesn't only happen with umbra btw; only ONE of those players was using umbra. So It's not about "me not liking how others play" or having anything against umbra. It's that they're literally just AFKing. The guy's operator literally stood on top of a box, the entire match... so did his excal umbra. The. entire. match. They had literally zero kills, zero points, zero deaths. He was just taking up space that someone else could've filled in. 

This has happened for several games, with different players. So kindly back off with your self-righteousness, assuming that I simply "don't like other playstyles". I'm not talking about playstyles, i'm talkin about *literal AFKing*

Anyway (PS4)HaphazardlyReplied

I guess my issue is that  I don't mind picking up slack for someone who's not very good, or is still learning the game. But I do mind someone is dragging down our game, from start to finish, because they joined with the intent of being AFK. I do mind someone who's simply afk expecting you to play for them *the entire game*. It's not an issue with a playstyle; it's an issue with a lack of playstyle, because you can't have a playstyle if you're not actually playing the game... Unless the game was "grow like a tree" or "watch paint dry"

If the game is too boring for you to actively play, why T.F. are you playing it then?

Edited by Maka.Bones

1 hour ago, Maka.Bones said:

No dude, they're literally AFK from start to finish. As in they don't do anything with their operator; they're just standing there. They don't reply to chat or move around, but they do just let umbra hang out... And since they're not moving around at least, umbra is also just standing there taking pot shots at anything that happens to come by--if they're in open air. Some of them stay hidden in a hole that doesn't even get much enemy traffic.

Well that's different then

If they aren't actively healing and resetting Excal then the strategy falls apart. Excal's AI is too dumb to act alone you really need to babysit him for him to be effective.

So long as we have an understanding that Excal isn't inherently AFK, it depends on the player using him properly.

anyway, its a Public Match

just Leave Squad if you don't want to deal with them.

If you switch to Solo mode the NPC specters are actually quite decentl; and the enemy spawns become much more predictable. Its what I do when I have a booster and want to seriously farm credits.Or like I said, Recruit a reliable squad.

the idea of vote-to-kick has been suggested many many Many times before; and the answer from DE everytime is that its not gonna happen; because its too easy to abuse. they'd prefer the lesser evil of Recruitment channel

11 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

there is actually a nice system for AFK'ers, but i dont think it has been optimized properly to account for various missions and stuff.
or maybe it applies in every mission, but people havent come across it yet...
rest assured, that will be their last AFK mission when they do see that.

just to see how well i could afk
i just recently did a defense mission where excal umbra did pretty much everything.... i just moved around and stuff
i havent tested anywhere else. also dont know if i need/want to.

at the end of 5 waves, i was not rewarded it said "due to inactivity"

if it applies to index, they shouldnt have received the rewards (if what your saying is true and also if the system applies to index)

im not entirely sure how this system works or what missions it applies to. (would be nice to apply it to bounties and set so you dont get rewards if you're out of the objective area by say 200 meters)

EDIT:
upon further research on this AFK system
it looks like the AFK timer kicks in around 30sec to 120sec (various people have their opinion)

according to wiki - https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Inactivity_Penalty
Player inactivity levels in missions are monitored by the game. Being dead or inactive for more than two minutes disqualifies the player from either the end-of-mission reward or the end-of-rotation reward depending on the mission type. This event is highlighted with the message: “Not eligible due to inactivity”.

according to another thread - https://forums.warframe.com/topic/939948-not-eligible-due-to-inactivity-bug-or-intended/?do=findComment&comment=9639096
It stops drops, affinity, and rewards for players who are "afk"

seems to apply mainly based on movement (which seems about right from my experience)
even if you're shooting stuff or using abilities, you MUST move around at least 5 meters at a time within 30 to 120sec.

my experience part
i had noticed reduced drop rates when staying in 1 room on survival missions (not stopped as someone else had said, but reduced chances for ANY drops)
affinity seems to be a bit glitchy, sometimes it does stop, other times it doesnt.
i have come across some survivals where i think i wasnt rewarded for the rotation, but i dont remember clearly (it didnt bother me much, since it was very rare)

my advice, run around like a headless chicken in every mission or you'll be flagged and get less or no drops.
===============
if someone wants, they could test this on the index (that might be a faster result than getting a reply from a moderator on whether the anti-AFK system works on index)

Edited by 5p33dy_01
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

Yes it's a public match, which is why they shouldn't be entering just to hide and go afk. It has zero to do with their warframe of choice btw; I don't need a lesson on umbra. 

If i had to "just leave" then i would've had to leave, every-single-match this morning.

It honestly feels like you're just trolling on purpose, because you seem to not be listening to what i've said so far; you also haven't been very helpful.

And just in case: I'm *not* talking about people who have to go AFK for a few minutes, in the middle of a match. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

4 minutes ago, Maka.Bones said:

Yes it's a public match, which is why they shouldn't be entering just to hide and go afk. It has zero to do with their warframe of choice btw; I don't need a lesson on umbra. 

If i had to "just leave" then i would've had to leave, every-single-match this morning.

I'm gonna assume you're just trolling on purpose, because you seem to not be listening to what i've said so far; you haven't been very helpful.

No I simply have a more Pragmatic viewpoint on the situation

when another player does something that bothers me; I have no control over that.

so rather than let it continue to upset me, I take the only action that I Can Control: I Leave Squad

staying in the match in such a situation is only stressful; and the point of a game is to relax.

Obviously this isn't an answer you expected; hence the troll accusation. But I honestly think it's good advice and not just for warframe: If a situation is upsetting you, step away from it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

6 minutes ago, Maka.Bones said:

I'm gonna assume you're just trolling on purpose, because you seem to not be listening to what i've said so far; you haven't been very helpful.

not many people know that there is a anti-AFK system.
i didnt even know until my test earlier.
most defense and survival, people sit in 1 spot, now i know that's a bad idea.

you can try report them and maybe something will be done about it, sooner or later.

as it stands now, there is something that does penalize people for this behavior in star-chart missions.
from what i understand and because of the way it works, everyone can fall into this penalty (remaining stationary and using skills or just shooting down a hallway for too long)
you can do all the damage in a mission and still be flagged as AFK and not receive rewards

6 minutes ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

when another player does something that bothers me; I have no control over that.

so rather than let it continue to upset me, I take the only action that I Can Control: I Leave Squad

staying in the match in such a situation is only stressful; and the point of a game is to relax.

Obviously this isn't an answer you expected; hence the troll accusation. But I honestly think it's good advice and not just for warframe: If a situation is upsetting you, step away from it.

this causes host migrations which could be more of a problem. not to mention that you are losing out because of some else's inconsiderate behavior, by leaving.
its the main reason they wont implement kick ability.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 5p33dy_01 said:

this causes host migrations which could be more of a problem. not to mention that you are losing out because of some else's inconsiderate behavior, by leaving.
its the main reason they wont implement kick ability.

True, its a tradeoff

do i stay and keep a few credits? or leave and keep some sanity?

but I think its a Good Tradeoff

17 hours ago, Maka.Bones said:

You cannot kick them

You can report them however via support with sufficient proof that they are idle.

Fun fact: Players that AFK are 1 step away from quiting the game entirely, a warn causes them to quit for good in a short ammount of time. the reason is simle, they prefer to quit on their own terms than to have support decide for them.

8 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

The reason I'm *assuming* you were trolling is because you've had assumptions/biases about this conversation since you first commented. Instead of trying to understand the post first, you assumed something else altogether. It might help if you first tried to understand what im bringing up, before commenting.

I did try leaving before, or ignoring them. I wouldn't make a post if it wasn't something I kept seeing repeatedly. I wouldn't be the only player this would affect, if it's something that keeps happening regularly; it's a trending issue. 

It's okay life/social advice; not good gaming/business/parenting/school advice. Some things you need to learn to work with, or learn to overcome. Sometimes "walking away" only makes a problem worse. 

Anyway, my issue was already answered/cleared up by some fellows up above. At this point it's not something I'm worried about it anymore. 

Thanks to everyone. 

Edited by Maka.Bones