Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dps Cap Is Bad Game Design And Feels Artificial

leonvision

TLDR: DPS cap is bad game design and feels artificial, it undermines the pursuit of DPS "builds".

so, in 10.0.4, they introduced a DPS cap on lephantis, i assume this is mostly to remedy the fact people with heavily modded weapons can DPS the boss down very quickly, too quickly in DE's eyes. in my opinion, this is terrible game design, and here's why. but before i start, i will like to state this is quite anecdotal and my experience was in solo, so co-op may be different.

because Lephantis is the only boss with a DPS right now, i will be focusing on it. Lephantis already has a lot of health, but more importantly, it has a "damage window", a window of time you can damage it, otherwise it is invulnerable. the DPS cap seems to refresh every 0.20~0.25 seconds, between each refresh there is a max to how much damage can be dealt to it. i was able to reach the DPS cap with my modded Soma(potatoed, no forma) with a SINGLE bullet, which effectively reduces my fire rate to 5, severely reducing my DPS, and significantly prolonging the fight.

why should DPS be capped on a boss? we players like to customize our weapons to suit our needs, one of those needs is being able to DPS down bosses and elites quickly. the implementation of a DPS cap undermines that portion of players. most players is going to hate me for saying this, but bosses being "bullet spongey" is much better than giving bosses a DPS cap. as it stands, with my Soma, the Lephantis effectively gets invincibility frames after every bullets it eats, not to include it can only be damage in certain animations.

my suggestion to this is to remove the mechanic of a DPS cap entirely, but give bosses immunity to CC, and balance health pool accordingly. currently one of the best frame against Lephantis is Rhino, not because of Iron skin, but because of rhino Stomp, effectively freezing Lephantis at the moment it can be damage. bosses should be immune to this, just like they are immune to bastille, slow from freeze damage, and most other CC in the game. this will restrict all players of all frames to the strategy designed around the boss.

i admit, i have not tested this is Co-op, so it might be a better experience in co-op, where the DPS cap can rarely be reached, but as it stands it still undermines the solo players.

p.s. we're lucky they only implemented this to lephantis as of now, but imagine if all bosses had this.

Jackal also has a damage cap I believe, It's not as bad because it's hidden better but it still drags out the fight a bit.

Also I had no idea rhino stomp would stun lephantis, that is both hilarious and not good. Especially since some frames have their skills work so poorly with lephantis *cough* banshee's sonar *cough*

Jackal also has a damage cap I believe, It's not as bad because it's hidden better but it still drags out the fight a bit.

Also I had no idea rhino stomp would stun lephantis, that is both hilarious and not good. Especially since some frames have their skills work so poorly with lephantis *cough* banshee's sonar *cough*

Does he really?

he does not, he regains full shield after a certain amount of damage done to it, and the shield is in the millions. it's similar to a DPS cap, but it's not the same mechanic.

I find this most aggravating during the first stage of the fight. The heads/arms seem to have so much hp that a fight that should be fun and dangerous turns boring after I've killed the first one. I noticed it during the livestream too, Corey spent ages in that first stage.

In the second stage each arm apparently has less hp as it takes a considerably shorter time to kill all three.

Only now I know there's a DPS cap, and I find it lame for lack of a better word. I'd say get rid of it or reduce the arms' hp, but with both those things the boss is a pain in the &#! to fight, and as soon as I get the last Nekros part I'll never play it again (and call me crazy but I don't think the devs want the players to abandon content like that).

Edited by The_Doc