Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Wizard Warframe

DasZeleot

Wizzo_the_Wizard.png

Where is a wizard frame DE?
Passive - increased energy gain from all sources per empty weapon slot. And can be completely weaponless
1 - Holding cycles between fire, cold, electricity, toxic, on Press Fire a Bolt of the damage type.
2 - Holding cycles between fire, cold, electricity, toxic, passively combo's with 1's element type. On press, create a damaging aura on yourself
3 - Holding cycles between firing types for your 1; Bolt, AOE, Enchantment - Which adds your 1's damage to your weapon -, and spray - AOE and spray have reduced damage in trade of their AOE. 
4 - Holding cycles between Exalted weapons. Staff rifle, Throwing knives, Thrown Glaive. Would be modifiable, and can be enchanted

I came up with this idea with my brother, and we really like it, it would be an interesting frame, who would have very interesting Augments as well.

The problem I see with this frame: there is far too much hold/tap to change. Every single ability uses that mechanic. It would get very frustrating very quickly. What use is a frame that you never have the correct abilities set on?

• Also, this would be a complete nightmare for people that don’t use a keyboard. Controllers can you use the function to select the power, then a button to activate it. This frame just won’t work with that in a very use friendly way.

A wizard frame would be fine. But your idea really just shows a lack of committing to the abilities. Even the exalted is a switchable weapon. 

6 minutes ago, krc473 said:

The problem I see with this frame: there is far too much hold/tap to change. Every single ability uses that mechanic. It would get very frustrating very quickly. What use is a frame that you never have the correct abilities set on?

• Also, this would be a complete nightmare for people that don’t use a keyboard. Controllers can you use the function to select the power, then a button to activate it. This frame just won’t work with that in a very use friendly way.

A wizard frame would be fine. But your idea really just shows a lack of committing to the abilities. Even the exalted is a switchable weapon. 

that is kind of the idea, I get it's not incredibly user friendly, and so the frame certainly wouldn't be for everyone, but does every frame have to be?

Just now, sasyquatch said:

but does every frame have to be?

No. But that’s not the point.

Would you make a product and tell 80% of the potential buyers to not pay for it? This would take effort on DE’s part. They have to make the frame, they have to balance it, they have to design the acquisition method. Then they have to be able to convince people to pay platinum for it. Why would anyone want to spend $10 or so on a frame they will level to 30 and not touch again because of how frustrating it is to use?

Just now, krc473 said:

Would you make a product and tell 80% of the potential buyers to not pay for it? This would take effort on DE’s part. They have to make the frame, they have to balance it, they have to design the acquisition method. Then they have to be able to convince people to pay platinum for it. Why would anyone want to spend $10 or so on a frame they will level to 30 and not touch again because of how frustrating it is to use?

I suppose I see your point, this would be a very development heavy frame for a extremely niche kit.

however, the concept was born from game play and themes I personally enjoy, with the expectation that DE wouldn't actually ever implement it, because how often does that happen?

2 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Buddy, it's a self servicing frame idea, we recognize the toggle isn't a universally enjoyed mechanic, but it's the frames gimmick. I personally feel it would be a welcomed frame because of it's versatility and ability centrist play-style that remains very open. It's meant to step away from press and forget frames, while also keeping all it's abilities still used, unlike every other frame where at least one ability is left out of play.

What if you base the element instead on the energy color? Also, I like this concept even though I hate holding buttons to switch modes for skills.

1) It’d be interesting if the appearance goes outside of the typical mage appearance. Like a bulkier build for example. 2) Personally, I’m kind of in the middle about that hat. Warframe has a certain style, like a balance between sci-fi and the magical/fantasy look(at least for me). I’ve said this statement before from a concept tennogen for Wisp where she is given a witch hat.

Overall, it’d be really interesting to see this warframe in the future.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sasyquatch said:

however, the concept was born from game play and themes I personally enjoy,

That is a perfectly suitable reason. I am more just commenting on the flaws I see with it. It’s an interesting idea, but it wouldn’t work very well in its current state.

• It is a publicly posted frame concept, so you should expect some criticism/praise for it.
22 minutes ago, DasZeleot said:

It's meant to step away from press and forget frames, while also keeping all it's abilities still used, unlike every other frame where at least one ability is left out of play.

I think this is a very optimistic viewpoint. Realistically people will figure out the best combination and just leave it at that. I would say, at best you’ll have two abilities used. The 2 and 3 are more around modifying the first ability. Once those are set (in the first 5 seconds) no one will touch them until the next mission. Abilities like the one are not typically used anyway - how often to people use Ember’s or Frost’s first ability? Your frame’s first is basically the same as that, but a different element. 

• I would probably pick my elements and use the enhancement. Not touching 1 - 3 for the remainder of the mission. Probably just using the exalted for the mission. Or none of the abilities at all. The frame design looks reasonable, so it might look good enough in game to ignore the abilities completely.
  • Like 1

Just now, krc473 said:

That is a perfectly suitable reason. I am more just commenting on the flaws I see with it. It’s an interesting idea, but it wouldn’t work very well in its current state.

• It is a publicly posted frame concept, so you should expect some criticism/praise for it.

I think this is a very optimistic viewpoint. Realistically people will figure out the best combination and just leave it at that. I would say, at best you’ll have two abilities used. The 2 and 3 are more around modifying the first ability. Once those are set (in the first 5 seconds) no one will touch them until the next mission. Abilities like the one are not typically used anyway - how often to people use Ember’s or Frost’s first ability? Your frame’s first is basically the same as that, but a different element. 

• I would probably pick my elements and use the enhancement. Not touching 1 - 3 for the remainder of the mission. Probably just using the exalted for the mission. Or none of the abilities at all. The frame design looks reasonable, so it might look good enough in game to ignore the abilities completely.

I appreciate your feedback, and you do bring up some really good points, it does seem like the scope as to which you could modify their abilities is limited, 3 modes of the first ability just being direct damage/status, hardly making exceptional use of the concept.

maybe for the 1st abilities modes you could keep the bolt, enchantment, but combine the spray and aoe into a lingering aoe, like the zenistar.

this didn't come though in the original post, but i was thinking the 2nd ability has an application timer, instead of a damage aura, applying a secondary element for a limited (refreshable?) time.

the third ability, aside from toggling the mode of the first, might be able to employ a supportive buff of some kind to allies, maybe strength, maybe applying elemental damage buffs.