Blexander

A list of Warframe abilities that are currently obsolete

How about Volt's 2??

Volt probably is my 2nd best warframe after MAG. I like him. And i understand speed and mobility is a great thing in warframe. But putting 2 in,makes his kit half,imo. He is not pure damage dealer,good CC,can do decent defnse too with shield. But i feel it a little lacking. What i am trying to say is,if i actually want to deal some samage,or even want to CC i have to rely on 4th,and in very small extent 1st ability. 3 rd one is good,as it gives some defensive capability,but the 2nd one ia more utility rather offensive or defensive ability.

Excluding speed as 2nd,replacing it with shield and put either of a defensive or offensive abilty,may make volt a good to OP frame,imo.

The new power,may be something in the line of - 1)volt can leech shield (armor) from surrounding enemies,and give it to teammates, 2) creates an electrified surface ,or any other things. (The two suggestions are very uninspiring,and i'm really sorry for it)

Chromas Elemental Ward... literally does nothing that other abilities dont do far better...

hell Wisps first ability alone can outdo his fire and shock auras with effectively no energy cost and infinite duration for teammates too... what is even the point of having such a comparatively weak ability that has to be constantly recast?

On 2019-06-03 at 11:13 AM, (XB1)A Excal Umbra said:

UMBRA’S PASSIVE!!! 

While I can agree there should be some way to disable it, I cannot say it's obsolete in any capacity. 

He kills things, he casts abilities for free. You press 5, and Umbra creates a free radial blind as well as using weapons like Zarr or Mutalist Cernos to great effect. 

On 2019-06-03 at 9:07 AM, .OwOkin. said:

excal 3

What... His 3 with good range can lockdown a room. His 3 is great!

2 hours ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

Chromas Elemental Ward... literally does nothing that other abilities dont do far better...

hell Wisps first ability alone can outdo his fire and shock auras with effectively no energy cost and infinite duration for teammates too... what is even the point of having such a comparatively weak ability that has to be constantly recast?

His ice elemental ward.. stacked with vex armor... Out performs 

On 2019-06-05 at 3:16 AM, _Anise_ said:

I wonder was this a left over from before vacuum was a thing ?

I think so, yes. I think, this is also another wasted opportunity on a perfectly super-powered frame. A more well rounded; utility driven passive can be really good on her....

2 hours ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

What... His 3 with good range can lockdown a room. His 3 is great!

His 2 can lock down a room (at the same base distance) for 25 less (base) energy with no cap on number of targets that can be hit.

The issues with his 3 is that it scales terribly, has a cap of 12 enemies and has a total of 3.5 seconds of animation lock. There is just no reason to use Radial Javelin when Blind works just as well and can also usually allow instant kills with a melee weapon. Even the augment isn't a practical choice as it gives 60% melee damage at max for 12 seconds, which while a fair increase, there are better augments to use.

I love Excalibur, but his 3 is completely outdated and nowhere near worth the 75 base energy cost, it has almost no utility, minimal damage and clashes with his 2 in terms of usage reasons (blind > stagger).

On ‎2019‎-‎06‎-‎03 at 4:43 PM, TehGrief said:

Equinox (night form) - [3] Pacify

• Energy drains too quickly because of how the ability functions.
  • Ability functions poorly: Reduces the damage that enemies deal, rather than reducing the damage that allies take.
  • Requires more range to be useful (caused by the ability having a "fall-off" range mechanic) - but more range means more enemies effected - which means more energy drain (a vicious cycle, really).

What could be changed?

If the ability was changed to apply a damage reduction mechanic to allies instead of to enemies (exactly how the day form [3] Provoke currently works), the energy drain would not be so bad, and the ability could certainly be more viable.

Keep in mind, however, that Peaceful Provocation can be used to apply an up to 60% slow to all enemies in range, making Pacify one of the easiest to use control powers in the game. Also keep in mind that because its energy drain is conditional, it is counteracted by energy siphon and Energising dash.

On that note though: Day Equinox' Rage. The damage amplification isn't high enough to compensate for the proportional lethality increase of the targeted enemy, in addition to making them harder to hit.

This are only for the frames that I have experience with:

• Banshee's 4, to some extent her 3 since modding for it limits the rest of her kit.
  • Chroma's 1, 4
  • Ember's 1
  • Frost's 1
  • Hydroid's 3, 4
  • Inaros' 2, 3
  • Limbo's 3, since it doesn't have a base range it is easily rendered useless when you put on Narrow Minded.
  • Loki's 1, gets rekt easily on higher levels.  Why the does it even have HP, I understand Saryn's Molt having one but his Decoy?
  • Mag's 4
  • Mesa's 1, although not totally useless more of like rarely used.
  • Mirage's 4, damage ticks every 3 seconds with a drain of 10 energy/second.
  • Nekros' 1
  • Nyx' 2, 4, I know people likes the armor strip but....
  • Titania's 3
  • Trinity's 1, since she already have bless.
  • Zephyr's 2, 4 also since it's a bit clunky.

• Like 1
  • Satisfied 1

Most of the 1st skills that just do some damage are kinda obselete, if not all.

Posted (edited)

List of abilities that I find lacking in endgame levels or feel clunky to use.

1. Chroma’s spectral scream : worst DPS ability in the game. Period. Low base damage, low fire rate (1 tick per second), and not 100% status for CC or utility potential.

2. Chroma’s effigy : Damage and utility is not justified with the high energy drain (10 per second base) and life threatening penalty (-50% multiplicative armor penalty after buffs and mods).

3. Zephyr’s 2 

3. Excalibur’s 3 : The 12 javelin limit is one of the reason why the ability is bad, removing the cap would make this a great CC ability and also why does this ability deals no extra damage if Exalted Blade is up while his 1 does benefit from it?

4. Atlas’s 3 : Energy cost is too high for a CC ability.

5. Atlas’s 2 : Why does the wall not affected by ability range again?

Edited by DrivaMain
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Aldain said:

His 2 can lock down a room (at the same base distance) for 25 less (base) energy with no cap on number of targets that can be hit.

The issues with his 3 is that it scales terribly, has a cap of 12 enemies and has a total of 3.5 seconds of animation lock. There is just no reason to use Radial Javelin when Blind works just as well and can also usually allow instant kills with a melee weapon. Even the augment isn't a practical choice as it gives 60% melee damage at max for 12 seconds, which while a fair increase, there are better augments to use.

I love Excalibur, but his 3 is completely outdated and nowhere near worth the 75 base energy cost, it has almost no utility, minimal damage and clashes with his 2 in terms of usage reasons (blind > stagger).

I was half asleep when i posted. I agree. Was thinking we were talking about radial blind/howl. Yes radial javelin sux

Posted (edited)

In regards to the post I made...

Spoiler

Equinox (night form) - [3] Pacify

• Energy drains too quickly because of how the ability functions.
  • Ability functions poorly: Reduces the damage that enemies deal, rather than reducing the damage that allies take.
  • Requires more range to be useful (caused by the ability having a "fall-off" range mechanic) - but more range means more enemies effected - which means more energy drain (a vicious cycle, really).

What could be changed?

If the ability was changed to apply a damage reduction mechanic to allies instead of to enemies (exactly how the day form [3] Provoke currently works), the energy drain would not be so bad, and the ability could certainly be more viable.

8 hours ago, Colyeses said:

Keep in mind, however, that Peaceful Provocation can be used to apply an up to 60% slow to all enemies in range. Also keep in mind that because its energy drain is conditional, it is counteracted by energy siphon and Energising dash.

Firstly, let's get the facts about Peaceful Provocation out of the way:

• A rank-3 (max) Peaceful Provocation augment mod only provides a base of 40% slow, while providing up to a maximum of 80% slow with 200% Ability Strength.
  • However, in doing so you've now increased the activation cost (negative efficiency) to 15.5 energy with a drain of 0.78 energy/s for EACH enemy affected by the aura.

You claim that the energy drain is "conditional", and that it can be "counteracted" by Energy Siphon and Energizing Dash:

• A rank-5 (max) Energy Siphon only provides +0.6 energy regeneration/s. Having a whole squad (4 people) each running a max-ranked Energy Siphon provides a maximum of +2.4 energy regeneration/s.
  • A rank-6 (max) Energizing Dash provides +5 energy regeneration/s and cannot be stacked with other instances of Energizing Dash. While also requiring you to be using Zenurik as your active focus tree.

With those numbers in mind, let's take a look to see how viable this "counter-action" is...

• [4 Energy Siphon = +2.4 energy regeneration/s] + [Energizing dash = +5 energy regeneration/s] = +7.2 energy regeneration/s (yay, simple math)

Impressive? Perhaps on paper... but it's not going to change how poorly this mechanic functions.

Considering that our drain is 0.78 energy/s for EACH enemy affected by the aura, if ONLY ten (10) enemies are within the radius of your aura, you're still loosing 0.6 energy/s - that's only TEN (10) enemies. Let's make it a little more realistic and double that number - twenty (20) enemies; Assuming you've prepared and you've done everything that we've mentioned above, you're still going to be draining 8.4 energy/s! On top of it all, this is assuming that you're NOT casting any of your other abilities, since channeling Mend while you have Provoke active removes the ability to gain energy from both Energy Siphons and/or Energizing Dash - further making your argument invalid.

You'll never experience this problem while using Provoke, since the drain is only based on your allies. Changing the ability to function by reducing the damage that allies take, instead of reducing the damage that enemies deal would allow for it to be brought into line with how sustainable Provoke is.

Furthermore, the slowing effect from Peaceful Provocation could still be added to the enemies as they attack allies affected by the aura scaling up per enemy as damage is dealt.

Edited by TehGrief

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, RagingPavillion said:

Mag's 4

would like to respectfully disagree though. Tbh, it is one of the most powerful abilities, atlst when compared with the lots like ember,frost,volt,rhino,nezha,banshee,oberon and so on (those are the few, i have personal experience).

The shield and overshield is atually imo, the best part of the deal, and it can deal insane damage. pair it with fracturing crush, you can instantly strip enemy armor, CC them. So in summation, DPS+CC+armor strip + shield regain+overshield..... well thats a hefty sum...  

Edited by SamMitter

I think a lot of people are kind of missing the mark with naming abilities/passives.  There are certainly a LOT of abilities that can be touched up.  But there are very little actual abilities in the game that are bad.  A common one that i'm seeing pop up is frost's 1.  When it's a guaranteed freeze on an enemy.  This means you can at minimum stall one HVT.  Maximum usage is freezing an enemy that is knocked down.  This allows you to get ground finishers.  And if you have a high status weapon you can combine the two for some strong numbers.  Is this niche?  Yes.  Does that make it a bad ability?  No.

And for simplicity sake I think we should avoid things that are figuratively "bad."  An example would be Chroma's passive.  half of his kit is directly impacted by his fashion which drastically impacts his capability in mission.   Which makes his kit design overall very poor.  But arguing like this can make lots of frames sound worse than they really are.  So it would be easier to argue that spectral scream is bad rather than saying because of how bad his passive is parts of chroma are bad.

As for my own personal list of objectively bad abilities:

~Atlas's rumblers.

~Chroma's spectral scream.

~Excalibur's radial Javelin.

~Gara's spectro rage.

~Inaros's sand storm.

~Loki's decoy.

~Mesa's Ballistic battery.

~Mirage's prism.

~Nekros's soul punch.

~Titania's Tribute.

~Trinity's well of life.

~Valkyr's ripline.

~Vauban's Teslea and half of minslayer.

• Like 1

If chroma's 1 and 4 would leave behind a small "fire" trail on the ground they would be so bad... or if they had a rework like what was suggestion here.

Posted (edited)

Titania, all abilities including passive.

Why her 4 ability too? Because these are different abilities combined in a way that doesn't have a good effect. Butterflies, weapons, and archwing could well be realized as separate abilities. 

Edited by zhellon

Vaubans Tesla is a prime example of a terrible ability. Shock mote is better in every regard and it is on a frame better then him in nearly every way. #RIPBooben