Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An Idea To Make The Design Council Actully Helpful.

TheJagji

I am not thinking for doing this now, but rather when the game goes 'Live' e.g. Not Beta anymore. But DE mite want to do it sooner. Who knows.

At the moment, the Design Council is just a 'Look at what me! I have a founders badge! :P' kind of thing. Yeah, we get early acsess to things, and we help with a few pieces of content, but thats not really that much. So, I think it would be really cool if Design Council members could get privileges to a Test server. Unlike MMOs, where the test server is on all the time, the Warframe one would come on when DE wants the Design Council to test something out. They could give a brief in the DC forum, saying what they want us founders to be looking for or testing out. It could be a way to test for early bugs, or see how well mechanics are working, or anything. They tell us what they want us to focused on, and we give them feedback. Simple.

I actually like this idea, and I think DE might as well. Why? Simple. Adding a "Council Server" would not only promote the idea of people getting the founder packages, increasing the revenue/support DE receives, but it'd increase the amount of testing that's done before it gets implemented as well. That way there's less hotfixes required to fix new abilities/items, which leads to less rage from the general public. I'm sure internal testing happens, but I doubt they have the whole studio test each and every thing. 

I am not thinking for doing this now, but rather when the game goes 'Live' e.g. Not Beta anymore. But DE mite want to do it sooner. Who knows.

At the moment, the Design Council is just a 'Look at what me! I have a founders badge! :P' kind of thing. Yeah, we get early acsess to things, and we help with a few pieces of content, but thats not really that much. So, I think it would be really cool if Design Council members could get privileges to a Test server. Unlike MMOs, where the test server is on all the time, the Warframe one would come on when DE wants the Design Council to test something out. They could give a brief in the DC forum, saying what they want us founders to be looking for or testing out. It could be a way to test for early bugs, or see how well mechanics are working, or anything. They tell us what they want us to focused on, and we give them feedback. Simple.

I'm not a founder, nor do I feel the need to ever become one, but I really love this idea. Great way to get testing done.

A good way for the test server to work is to have four test planets, one for each faction with one of each mission type. DE can build it off of that

I've been talking to a few Masters and Grand Master. They all seem to give the vibe that the DC is a joke and doesn't get their feedback acknowledged. That a majority of the posts that go on there when an idea is present or a poll is made, is purly and mainly full of complains and insults amongst the Masters. There seems to be a lack of direction and focus in the group.

The whole test server idea would help the game out massively. With 100 or so users testing a single item, the feedback would be powerful compared to a handful of devs testing it. I would support DE with a founder pack if I had a job and cash for it. :<

Edited by Darkfreack

What?!  Paying to beta test content?  Before anyone else gets to see it, and while it's still in a state where changes can be made so my feedback might actually be relevant?

...Yeah, okay, actually that sounds pretty much alright.

Also, yes.  Council design process is the crappiest democro-oligarchy ever, but the Council chat channel makes up for it.

After seeing what the Nova became, the design council, in my eyes, is the most useless thing on the planet, next to the appendix.

You should have seen what we had to pick from. The choices the council had to pick from were very lackluster overall. There were a grand number of amazing suggestions but DE gave us what they wanted us to vote on. I think non-council members have a clouded perspective of just how much say the Council has.

Considering some of the really, really questionable map designs they've come down the pipe in the past? I'd love to have the Design Council suffer through them and actually voice out any flow problems that exist to spare the rest of us.

Ya know, I don't mind being a guinea pig for new content, sure that means founders see it sooner but it also means more focused feedback to which the Developers may actually open threads on the DC for specific things. The Council generally is full of people who care and debate mechanics when they aren't just joking around.

After seeing what the Nova became, the design council, in my eyes, is the most useless thing on the planet, next to the appendix.

The Nova was really down to DE, not the DC. Why? Simple. We gave them ideas. They then picked what they thought was cool, and we had polls on each power and the name. If the DC had there way, Athena, NOT Nova would be the name chosen, but DE did not give us that option in the poll.

I was out of the loop for the new 'pet' that they made, so not sure how things went down on that, but it seems like a really cool thing. Nova was the first thing the DC did, as far as I am aware, so don't take it as how everything will turn out.

The flaw in the Design Council system is that it boils down to the voice of the masses, like many other things do. There's no requirement to be very well informed or to have game design background, etc. This obviously influences the results. I'm not trying to imply all DC members are idiots or some such, but expecting more from them than you would from the community en masse is a road to disappointment. At the end of the day, it just comes across as a gimmick to get money, albeit a pretty good gimmick.

The flaw in the Design Council system is that it boils down to the voice of the masses, like many other things do. There's no requirement to be very well informed or to have game design background, etc. This obviously influences the results. I'm not trying to imply all DC members are idiots or some such, but expecting more from them than you would from the community en masse is a road to disappointment. At the end of the day, it just comes across as a gimmick to get money, albeit a pretty good gimmick.

Witch is part of the reason I suggested what I did. If the DC was used in this way, ather than how its being used ATM, then it would be LESS of a gimmik. I for one payed to be a founder because I like the game so much, I wanted to help make it better, and I thought it would be cool to see the back end of we what the devs are doing, and being able to have a bit of a say in things. As it stands, the DC is not that. Its a place where the devs just get us to come up with ideas for them, witch is NOT want I want to be doing. So this is me saying 'MAKE THE DC A DC INSTEAD OF A GIMMICK'. :P

Witch is part of the reason I suggested what I did. If the DC was used in this way, ather than how its being used ATM, then it would be LESS of a gimmik. I for one payed to be a founder because I like the game so much, I wanted to help make it better, and I thought it would be cool to see the back end of we what the devs are doing, and being able to have a bit of a say in things. As it stands, the DC is not that. Its a place where the devs just get us to come up with ideas for them, witch is NOT want I want to be doing. So this is me saying 'MAKE THE DC A DC INSTEAD OF A GIMMICK'. :P

I absolutely agree. The point I was trying to make is that the DC gets a lot of flak for certain choices perceived to be theirs and theirs alone (*cough* Nova *cough*), while the reality is a bit different. Adding more weight to the DC's opinions, though, leaves us with one hell of a catch 22.

DC is currently an absolute joke, when I backed the game and boosted my pack up to grandmaster under the misguided notion that we would actually have a place to constructively discuss things.

Personally I would be happy if they just unlocked the council forums and actually let us use them to raise issues, the DC chat in game is just an elitist form of region chat.

I actually like this idea, and I think DE might as well. Why? Simple. Adding a "Council Server" would not only promote the idea of people getting the founder packages, increasing the revenue/support DE receives, but it'd increase the amount of testing that's done before it gets implemented as well. That way there's less hotfixes required to fix new abilities/items, which leads to less rage from the general public. I'm sure internal testing happens, but I doubt they have the whole studio test each and every thing. 

Problem is, there are already one or more DC members that are leaking "Exclusive" game development details to public sites within seconds of it being posted in the "Exclusive" DC forum section that is hidden from the public.

Best not to give those with no morals additional fuel for the fire by giving them a test server with even more "Exclusive" content that they can then upload to youtube.

When I first joined this game, I figured DC would be something like that.  I found out long before I became a master that it was a joke, but even so.

Having a secondary and larger Q&A team between them and their general playerbase could be nice once the game is released though.  You'd likely need separate accounts, so perhaps everything on such a test server could be free and mastery would be no object.  Nothing done on the test server would carry over into a main account though.  It would be simply for testing at the devs' discretion.

Problem is there is no insurance of exclusivity and there will be firestorms on the forums in response.

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

When I first joined this game, I figured DC would be something like that.  I found out long before I became a master that it was a joke, but even so.

Having a secondary and larger Q&A team between them and their general playerbase could be nice once the game is released though.  You'd likely need separate accounts, so perhaps everything on such a test server could be free and mastery would be no object.  Nothing done on the test server would carry over into a main account though.  It would be simply for testing at the devs' discretion.

Problem is there is no insurance of exclusivity and there will be firestorms on the forums in response.

Only way they can bring the DC player base into an internal/alpha-testing test server environment is to invite a small number of DC players at a time and watch for any leakage of information.

thought i would do more in the DC, but also knew there probably little chance of that. thought we would be able to least start a topic in there atleast we cant not. we cant even bring issues to them... needing to thou the same channels as everyone else, no priority over the payed customs and freebes when it comes to issues.

you'd think they would value the paying ppl a little.

Edited by Tacgnomancer