Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave: INTERMISSION!

[DE]Megan

First off, Robotic Slots, Gamma Color Picker, Reactor, Catalyst, Aura Forma and Eidolon Ephemera, are rewards I'd aim at getting. I'm glad to get something by earning it in game, rather than spending money on it in games like this.

However:

The catch-up mechanic might as well not exist if someone can't kill the profit taker or take part in sorties, or... quite a few reasons linked to requiring you to finish everything, INCLUDING elite weekly challenges, before you can get access to older normal weeklies. *sigh* (and there is some ambiguity to how that works, 3 at a time... then finish those 3 to make 3 more unfinished acts appear?)

Degrindification sorta helps... again, only if you can complete ALL the acts, since now, missing any of them is a MUCH bigger deal (more lost standing, possibly even blockading you from previous week's challenges per the catch-up mechanic)

The changes to existing acts feels like whoever went through that list didn't understand the reasons for the problems with the acts in the first place... the underlying reason, not just the quantity of checkboxes to fill.

* Removal of "with clanmates/friends" was good. I'll grant you that. (along with the sortie with friends)
* Reducing defense wave requirements was good. (as was the kuva survival without using life support towers - less chance of griefing)
* Kill profit taker... really? still?
* 5 sorties to 3 sorties... um... ok, not a bad change, but... I ignore sorties, and will continue to ignore sorties (I guess I'm not an elite geared player than can solo everyday - though I have solo'd sorties, just not 3 in a week, and I only have 1 friend who would do these with me, but we rarely get to play at the same time.)
* 60min survivals to 30min... I can stay awake that long, so good.
* Socketing Ayatan Treasures... Inventory checks aren't good. Anything higher than filling 1 statue will encourage hording of statues and not using them for their intended game use of extracting the endo from them to boost mods - something new players really really need to do, as that's the real source of power in this game's progression system. This point of contention applies to use of forma, and gilding of modular items. Consuming strategic resources at the direction of the game, rather than careful planning. By presenting less Acts, and requiring all acts to be completed before allowing catch-up, you hold hostage those incomplete acts until someone spends these resources for these acts.
* 10 to 6 perfect conservations... as others have pointed out, this may be increasing the grind, depending on the actual limitation that "different" means.
* 10 to 5 different bounties... as others have pointed out, if this means you don't count repeating the same bounty, it's going to be worse than before, and overall, changing this to bounty stages, but increasing the required stages would be much more preferable for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes, it feels like the "evil genie" trope... you get what you wished for, plus evil twist...

I still don't like this nightwave thing, and the fact that nothing will be done about the resource wasting "challenges" (using formas and building/gliding modulars) is just... bad, to say the least.

also i agree with others, change the "5 different bounties" to bounty STAGES, please.

the "60 min survival" and the "60 min kuva without air support" always appeared together so you could kill two birds with one stone, making it a fun and worthwhile challenge. i think it should have been left alone. 

5 hours ago, -NR-Zodiac said:

oh well, another slap to people that are not new.

how is this a slap? What do you even need bigger rewards for if you already have everything? Just don't do the nightwave challenges if you don't need the rewards LOL

1 hour ago, LSG501 said:

Why do I need to get a grip, I know how to estimate my time required when I do my work and don't make out that it's done when it's not. 

Considering how long they've been doing warframe for they should be able to give a better internal estimate for when something will be ready so as not to require an 'intermission' nightwave because they were late finishing nightwave 2... and they wouldn't be putting this out if nightwave 2 was finished now would they.

Remember DE have basically been saying it was ready since nightwave 1 finished and that the 'delay' between nightwave 1 and nightwave 2 was a 'bit of pause' and sync between platforms. 

Oh and for the 'crunch' they always seem to end up in... they could always hire some more staff rather than running with a small team, which people keep seeming to mention...

edit: as to comparing with EA/activision and buggy releases... DE does release stuff with plenty of bugs, even after declaring it's 'ready for release'..

I guess you have experience running or even being a part of a large dev shop w/ hundreds of devs and understand all the moving pieces - getting short term stuff ready while working on medium and long term projects, the impact of changing tiny little things on a huge app that is constantly evolving into something new - understanding that the lessons learned a year ago may not be applicable to the experience of today?  Probably your prescient too - you understand all the consequences of every action you take so you can avoid mistakes.  

DE Doesn't make you pay for things in this game, they provide it to you for free, if you spend money on it- it's your choice.  To play it in any capacity - is YOUR choice.  As such - it might not be a bad idea for a lot of people here to learn about giving people a little grace, I know I am certainly more prone to extend grace the older I get, and it has certainly lowered my stress levels.  DE Isn't perfect - and they don't pretend to be.  

As for them saying it was ready since Nightwave 1 - I watch every prime time and dev stream and follow a few of the devs on twitter - I don't remember ever hearing that that it was done - i do remember hearing that it was in the pipe. There was as far as I remember always going to be a pause between 1 and 2.

Regarding the crunch - it's an industry wide problem - and I think the reason it's perceived as more of an issue w/ DE is because they actually have a good work/life balance and don't routinely pull 80 hour weeks.  Go read up on Crunch and CD Project Red, and other big devs were people didn't get vacations for a year and worked insane hours for months at a time - that resulted in burnout and talented devs jumping ship.  Balancing what you think you can achieve and what you can achieve is hard in software development, and games are some of the most complex software on the planet. 

Hiring more staff - the team working on Warframe is HUGE compared to what it used to be - DE spun up dev staff to start another game - they decided it wasn't going to happen and rolled that dev staff into Warframe.  I am sure they have as many devs, artists, animators, sound technicians, etc.. working on Warframe as they can afford to - because Warframe is pretty much at this point the entire revenue stream for their company - and there is a point of diminishing returns in throwing people at a project where your work efficiency does not go up, but your expenses do.  They exist as a company - for ONE reason - to make a profit.  Their SOLE method of making a profit is Warframe -  if you really stop and think about it - the idea that DE wouldn't have the proper level of resources OR what they can afford allocated to Warframe is pretty ludicrous.  

I'm not saying to not be critical and push them - I think that is something they absolutely want.  I AM saying that the way a lot of people do it is not constructive, ill informed, ignorant, and childish. 

While I am happy to get these rewards their pretty much useless to player who are MR 14+ because we already have an arsenal of weapons,warframes,sentinels and etc. we also have rivens that could change up endgame I don't know why DE is scared to give us rewarding rewards 😐 Syandana and armor cosmetics aren't endgame btw just saying.

ay free stuff. i'll take it.

stop complaining guys.

Also request; leave the credit shop up a week after the end of a series/intermission. when the wolf ended i kinda expected to be able to wait til the end and spend whatever i had left on whatever i deemed i needed. To me that's just the standard really...

4 hours ago, LegendaryNeurotoxin said:

I love how people are disappointed that DE is being respectful of their dev schedule for TennoCon and giving us a stop-gap solution while making sure changes to Nightwave works, even though it is the exact thing I'd do if I was running DE and had to make these decisions. 

Wait, no I don't. Stop being jerks, people. YOU think YOU want something in the game? There's stuff the team has seen that you don't even know about, and they see first-hand how much work and effort it will take between now and X content or feature can go in. Whatever you want, trust me, the devs want it more, but they have to be realistic about schedules and planning and such. 

You are missing the point a bit. 

They released aura formas that requires 10 nitain and then nightwave ended and any reasonable person would just assume that they will just come back with old alerts in meantime, but no- there was nothing, so basically people who wanted nitain and any of alert rewards were ****blocked. 

Hard not to get angry about it

9 minutes ago, RamPuppy said:

I guess you have experience running or even being a part of a large dev shop w/ hundreds of devs and understand all the moving pieces - getting short term stuff ready while working on medium and long term projects, the impact of changing tiny little things on a huge app that is constantly evolving into something new - understanding that the lessons learned a year ago may not be applicable to the experience of today?  Probably your prescient too - you understand all the consequences of every action you take so you can avoid mistakes.  

DE Doesn't make you pay for things in this game, they provide it to you for free, if you spend money on it- it's your choice.  To play it in any capacity - is YOUR choice.  As such - it might not be a bad idea for a lot of people here to learn about giving people a little grace, I know I am certainly more prone to extend grace the older I get, and it has certainly lowered my stress levels.  DE Isn't perfect - and they don't pretend to be.  

As for them saying it was ready since Nightwave 1 - I watch every prime time and dev stream and follow a few of the devs on twitter - I don't remember ever hearing that that it was done - i do remember hearing that it was in the pipe. There was as far as I remember always going to be a pause between 1 and 2.

Regarding the crunch - it's an industry wide problem - and I think the reason it's perceived as more of an issue w/ DE is because they actually have a good work/life balance and don't routinely pull 80 hour weeks.  Go read up on Crunch and CD Project Red, and other big devs were people didn't get vacations for a year and worked insane hours for months at a time - that resulted in burnout and talented devs jumping ship.  Balancing what you think you can achieve and what you can achieve is hard in software development, and games are some of the most complex software on the planet. 

Hiring more staff - the team working on Warframe is HUGE compared to what it used to be - DE spun up dev staff to start another game - they decided it wasn't going to happen and rolled that dev staff into Warframe.  I am sure they have as many devs, artists, animators, sound technicians, etc.. working on Warframe as they can afford to - because Warframe is pretty much at this point the entire revenue stream for their company - and there is a point of diminishing returns in throwing people at a project where your work efficiency does not go up, but your expenses do.  They exist as a company - for ONE reason - to make a profit.  Their SOLE method of making a profit is Warframe -  if you really stop and think about it - the idea that DE wouldn't have the proper level of resources OR what they can afford allocated to Warframe is pretty ludicrous.  

I'm not saying to not be critical and push them - I think that is something they absolutely want.  I AM saying that the way a lot of people do it is not constructive, ill informed, ignorant, and childish. 

Considering I run my own business doing 3D design and have to hit deadlines (and I do know about crunch, although I'm pretty sure DE have said they don't follow this approach...) I think I have an understanding of what they're doing considering a large part of the work is 3D... I haven't failed to hit a deadline that I have set myself because I include 'cushion time' which covers potential delays, the larger the project, the larger the cushion to account for potential delays.  DE, and you can see this from devstreams, don't seem to think about possible delays as being much to worry over, almost like it's a case of no worries, the players won't mind as usual...

Which is really weird imo, I don't understand why DE seems to get a 'free pass' when they fail to make deadlines or release unfinished items to fit their own self imposed deadlines.  You yourself mentioned EA and activision which get slated for doing the exact same thing yet DE are pretty bad with this as well.  With my clients, if I miss deadlines at best I don't get paid the full amount (ie late penalties), at worst I may even lose the clients full stop so to me hitting self imposed deadlines is simply about being professional. 

If you look at everything you can see in the first announcement after nightwave 1, that it's written as though it was 'ready to go' it was just waiting on the consoles to 'sync up' (part of the issue but one of DE's own making) and was 'giving us a breather'.  Now to be honest though anyone who knows DE, knew that it was because it wasn't finished but instead of just saying that at the time they've now had to come up with a 'stop gap' till they can finish it.  Players will be a lot more 'forgiving' if they don't try and hide the fact they're running behind schedule, instead we've had threads complaining about no nitain because of no nightwave etc which ultimately cumulated in DE rushing out this intermission nightwave (you can tell it's rushed as it's only got one 'new thing' in it, something that was supposedly going to be harder to get too).

Also think about it another way, if we don't raise the issue of 'delays' on nightwaves now, just think about future nightwaves.  If they can't finish nightwave 2 on time, which is pretty much a copy paste of the last one apart from the 'boss' and spoken story, what chance have they got of finishing future nightwaves in their own self imposed '10ish week window' unless they improve their planning and estimates of how long something is going to take... it's going to get even worse when it gets closer to a 'big update'. 

As to staff.. well if they hired more staff, not only could they work on things like nightwave 2 or future updates but they could also work on 'deluxe skins' and the likes which could be sold for plat which people could buy from them rather than relying on tennogen artists for the majority of skins in the game....although I suppose they're fine with the getting 'something for nothing' from tennogen artists (I have a huge issue with tennogen on the payment side of things but that's a different issue)

28 minutes ago, Blaudari said:

While I am happy to get these rewards their pretty much useless to player who are MR 14+ because we already have an arsenal of weapons,warframes,sentinels and etc. we also have rivens that could change up endgame I don't know why DE is scared to give us rewarding rewards 😐 Syandana and armor cosmetics aren't endgame btw just saying.

But they are, getting anything other than that is just a matter of time if you works towards it and people already have arsenal fully leveled so cosmetics are the only thing they can get really 

1 minute ago, carorinuu said:

They released aura formas that requires 10 nitain and then nightwave ended and any reasonable person would just assume that they will just come back with old alerts in meantime, but no- there was nothing, so basically people who wanted nitain and any of alert rewards were ****blocked. 

Honestly Nitain is kind of a crap resource to begin with. I think that is the bigger issue that needs to be addressed. 

7 hours ago, MlecznySmok said:

Rewards are just a joke to engame players. No armors? Syandana? You had so much time. Totally disappointed as a 6 year warframe player 😞

Ma dude, did you even read the post.
This is something so players can get Nitain and Auras ( since 75% of them are Nightwave store exclusive) WHILE they are making and synchronizing the Nightwave season 2 for PC+ Consoles

1 hour ago, carorinuu said:

lmao no, Aura formas were a thing for a long time already (released on April 24th) , they just increased the droprate from rotation C from 2.5 to 4%

I think his point was it takes nitain to build an aura forma and there currently was no way of getting them in the game since before it was through alerts and when those were removed you only had nightwave to get them. without that in the game people had no way of building the aura forma unless they had a stock pile of them. personally i have not gotten lucky enough to get any aura forma to drop for me so this is at least a gauranteed way for me to get one.

vor 55 Minuten schrieb CephKaron:

how is this a slap? What do you even need bigger rewards for if you already have everything? Just don't do the nightwave challenges if you don't need the rewards LOL

rewards that make sense. 
10k up to 25k Kuva, it's a Intermission we shouldn't be Punished with 1/5 of what a Nightwave Season Gives, in this case Intermission is Nightwave Season 1.5 bridging to 2.0. 
3 Orokin Cells , this is just flat out a Joke from DE. but ofc, it's for newer Players right. 
Rift Sigil, well whoever does not own it yet, is going to be stoked for this one as its besides Verlorum P Sigil probably the Best one Out there. 
Aura Forma was a great Idea, no sarcasm, i really mean it.

3x Forma Bundle is great too 

But now we come to the I hate to see it part 
Orokin Reactor / Catalyst. i have 70 Each, and none bought, new Players love to see that appearing but what about old players though that literally have tons on tons of those 2? it's just gonna be 1 more in the keep on expanding List. 
Nora Cred Rewards / Gamma Color Picker are in best Case for people that care about Fashion Frame or need even more Reactors / Catalysts or forgot a Weapon like Plasma sword alike or need a Aura they don't have, in that case Veterans get Cucked once again, too bad i simply don't care about Fashion Frame at all, i would rather want an Endgame for once, you can't deny it as there is none, fashionframe does not count and is at best a poor excuse.
Endo? Why Endo? Arbitration is already flooded with Endo, Everyother game mode has Endo as Reward. again a Veteran does not need Endo alot as they have a crap ton either. in this case, it is a if the Shoe Fits Scenario. 

what do you mean, " what do you even need bigger rewards for if you already have everything "
you made this one up mate, never have i said that i already have everything. 
Bruh you gotta learn how to read properly  

Archived