Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe for the Google Stadia, anyone?

So.....what would be the color scheme for the Anniversary and what would they call the promotion packs?

Let's brainstorm that with our already in game colors for that first Excal skin they would get (sadly, I missed out on that on the Switch and PS4....but adore the XB1 version).

Let's see them colors!!!

1 hour ago, (XB1)KingSnurre said:

I think Warframe is too fast for a streaming platform, but I'm interested in what new games could be developed for Stadia.  Like a true, massivley multiplayer RPG I could log in from anyware, even my phone, and chill out in.   We'll see.

That would be true for PvP. For PvE not as much of an issue.

Also, with Warframe we have p2p, can't get slower than that for a lot of people that have to handle latency >=100ms to their host. I bet you can get better than that with Stadia, considering Google's world wide presence.

I'll take "What is abandoned in 2 years tops" for 500 Alex.

Ouya. - Abandoned. (Google assisted with it's OS initially)

Google Glass. -Abandoned.

You know what, instead of doing that, lets just total things.

So far, the current count of things abandoned or killed by google is:

168 if you count the following:

Hardware: 12

Apps: 13

Services: 143

Don't believe me?

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Just so I'm clear, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but the odds are, it's DoA given how their process works. The guy that invented the Dyson vaccum had 5123 failures under his belt over the course of about 30 years, in order to find the ONE that revolutionized household cleaning. I think google does much the same. Throw enough sh1t at the wall and eventually something sticks. Each failure is fertilizer for something else to grow in it's place.

As Thomas Edison said. "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

3 hours ago, Ahniar said:

Just a failed attempt at something many outer have done better... Want to bet how long it will take before it gets abandoned? 😛

Umm... No one has done streamable games well? Google is the most likely to be able to do it, but I’ll wait and see.

3 hours ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

I'm expecting Fallout 4-speeds of abandonment. Maybe even Anthem-speed.

What do you mean fallout4? Not the most popular fallout for sure but it had 3 lore expansions and some other content related dlc...not at all abandoned

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3tallius said:

Google Glass. -Abandoned.

um, that isn't abandoned... it's no longer consumer focused but it's still going, in fact it was just recently updated with new hardware and frame(s)

Huh. Maybe it will be good? Who knows?  Google has the cash to succeed where others have failed but they are also notorious at coming out with stuff then abandoning it after a very short while.

They kinda tick me off sometimes when they release some cool VR app or phone app,  then let it sit collecting dust for years because it didnt catch on. . Seems like they only really start pumping the updates and fixes if there product is embraced by  hundreds of millions of people. Otherwise your left twiddling your thumb praying your purchase was not forgotten and a waste of money because it was just some google interns side project who moved on to better things.  

I don't think this project is one of those you jump on right away. Wait for the release and real reviews to roll in. Wait to see if they are serious and willing to put their money where their mouths is, and if gamers actually adopt it.  Then make your choice. I hope it does good. It does look and sound cool on paper. 

OK... Yeah... I was on the fence about antitrust investigations of Google. Google Stadia? Yeah, maybe antitrust is appropriate here.

EDIT: Forum editor screwed up. There was text present that I didn't see.

Edited by nslay

20 hours ago, M3tallius said:

As Thomas Edison said. "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

You forgot to add: "So I stole other peoples work." lol

But yeah Stadia is pretty much a DoA product. Stating that they are able to stream from their server to the user device faster than it takes an image from the eye to the brain? That's some grade A BS if I ever heard any. They were unable to stream it steady on their presentation and they expect us to believe that lie? And not just that, majority of the world still has bad internet so who the hell do they expect to sell it to?

the way i see it there's no escaping the delay and they have said they can send the stuff faster than you can process or something along those lines but that might be using their stuff and obviously some of the best connections around I really have to see how this performs with good, and average internet not whatever the #*!% google is using for their own tests. But in all honesty I really doubt it can work now.

I feel like Warframe would be a decent choice for Stadia or really any game-streaming service since input lag isn't a huge issue in this game.

People like to rip on these sorts of things but no matter how jank the experience is, its still pushing the technology forward.

Edited by Tricky5hift

It's actually a brilliant idea, from my understanding the calculation will be done on cloud service so theoretically you can play any game on the most potato-ist computer on the Earth given you have a decent network coz your computer needs to handle the video streaming only. The games are stored on the cloud also so you don't need to waste your hard disk space for installation and you can play your games everywhere as long as you get the network connection.

But I don't think the speed network will allow this technology to work flawlessly in most regions. By design it has to work with 5G network i.e. it's a technology for future.

Edited by Marvelous_A

There are a number of super interesting things about Stadia.

• Anyone playing Stadia would have negligable network ping to all other Stadia players (The latency of your video feed woud be an issue but it's a very different kind of latency and Google's cloud infrastructure guarantees aggressive network locality)
  • Stadia has API's to make Stream aggrigation trivial, How would you like to have picture in-picture of your other teammates while on a mission? Very easy to add.
  • Deep-learning based post-processing is trivial to do in Stadia, Fancy a layer that makes everything look like a watercolour, trivial to impliment shadow-filtering and anti-aliasing.
  • Disconnection from stadia doesn't have to abort your game session, removing Host migration. If DE wanted to they could favour Stadia to host making even a single Stadia player in the group result in no host migration for everyone else.
  • In addition to that stadia is vulkan-native, so it would be a great route into giving DE another monatary reason to investigate vulkan

Also, the Ouya was a kickstarter that just happened to use Android under the hood, it was nothing to do with Google.

Stadia is simply google "pulling an amazon", they need to have aggressive amounts of cloud infrastructure so building a service offering on top of that that pays for itself in just giving them a boost in paid-for capacity to the infrastructure they need for many other services.

I'm very suspicious of cloud-anything. But expecially for hop-on FTP games like warframe it may be a good fit.

You know another problem I just thought about with the Stadia? DDoS attacks.

Imagine how many trollish people will see the opportunity to take down, not just one game but an entire service as a huge chance to be an enormous clemhole.

42 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Imagine how many trollish people will see the opportunity to take down, not just one game but an entire service as a huge chance to be an enormous clemhole.

Given that Google Tier 1 networking peer they would be much better at migigating DDoS on their service than anyone smaller.

And given that Stadia uses Google's compute infrastructure, it would be tough to DDoS that whole infrastructure more than it already gets from basic usage.

Edited by SilentMobius

I have no desire to stream games from the cloud.  I get bad enough latency streaming within my own house, using a steam link.  Streaming from a server a couple states away is going to be awful.  Maybe if Musk's satellite internet proves to be absurdly cheap and low latency, like they claim, then it may work half-decent.  But even then, there's still the appeal of owning your own stuff, on your own hardware, in your own house, and not needing to be online to play.

52 minutes ago, Aldain said:

DDoS attacks are a fact of service providing. If you're not prepared for any and every level of it, then you shouldn't be providing a service in the first place.

Business is as business does. It's that simple.

9 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I have no desire to stream games from the cloud.  I get bad enough latency streaming within my own house, using a steam link.  Streaming from a server a couple states away is going to be awful.  Maybe if Musk's satellite internet proves to be absurdly cheap and low latency, like they claim, then it may work half-decent.  But even then, there's still the appeal of owning your own stuff, on your own hardware, in your own house, and not needing to be online to play.

Personally I have no issue with any current or potential latency, just the whole Fashion Frame focus. It's like Fashionogi (Mabinogi gachapon spam) all over again.

However, if cloud services allow for account information to be merged or transferred much more quickly, then it would definitely be a benefit to any company.

It was so funny to watch literally nothing happen on the Warframe E3 press stream.

I warned them to have something ready to garner interest, and Fortnite up and followed with a celebrity appearance. (Strike one off the bingo board.)

Edited by (NSW)MasterDarkwingz

1 minute ago, (NSW)MasterDarkwingz said:

was so funny to watch literally nothing happen on the Warframe E3 press stream. 

I think they're more focused on tennocon.