Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe for the Google Stadia, anyone?

8 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

Honestly I bet most developed countries outside the US have better internet.

I know the UK does, but I've heard from a friend in Germany that they've barely bothered to upgrade the internet over there. So it's a mixed bag.

2 hours ago, Oreades said:

It always amuses me when people say streaming services are the future when ISPs have been trying to choke, throttle and tier their service plans for years. Offering the consumers less all for the low low price of more...... You think streaming all your games in 1080p or 4k is going to be cheaper just because the "console" you need to do it only set you back $120 or whatever? Nope cause your ISP is gonna find a way to charge you the difference or throttle you down to 106p, Enjoy~ 

Oh and on those days when your internet is down for whatever reason and you just want to play a game to pass the time...... good luck with that. To which I'm sure I will glean a few "If your internet is down your power is probably down so it doesn't matter" ..... yeah I've had a lot more network hiccups and issues over the years than I've had my power go out.

That's honestly the saddest thing of all, honestly... When we have the means for progress and evolution, but the greed of a small group ruins it for the majority. Not just in Stadia or the gaming industry, it's a goddamn trend everywhere.

21 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

That's honestly the saddest thing of all, honestly... When we have the means for progress and evolution, but the greed of a small group ruins it for the majority. Not just in Stadia or the gaming industry, it's a goddamn trend everywhere.

We should have Net Neutrality (although it was originally an unwritten rule that everyone honored), but don't think ISP greed can stop progress. At worst, delay it... but not stop it. All of these ISPs are interconnected and should any one ISP misbehave with peering, the others can do subtle things to retaliate (hence why it never needed to be written before).

The idea of Stadia (and ultimately cloud) reminds of very very old ideas like Multics. It is the complete opposite of our technological capabilities. You centralized computation power because it was not feasible or economical to make computers for individual users. But that's far from true anymore... Stadia's success would be a paradox when gamers can build PCs out of cheap (but powerful) hardware! Consoles and even mobile phones are powerful computers. You don't need Stadia (unless you're a hip ad company)! The only benefit of Stadia is an innate resistance to cheating.

4 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I know the UK does, but I've heard from a friend in Germany that they've barely bothered to upgrade the internet over there. So it's a mixed bag.

Yeah most of western europe has good internet, with the exception being Germany.

It was extremely noticable in BF3, BF4 and Battlefront. Only servers where you got a laggy experience even with good ping were german ones, not all the german ones, but most.

On 2019-06-07 at 11:34 AM, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

How about we respect other ways of gaming? And what if Warframe releases on it, as a streamed game? No one thought the Switch would be able to run it (or other games) either, but there it is. Stadia is made for another kind of gamer consumer, which one way or another is still rather uncommon among the gaming community, but it is still an alternative to traditional gaming. Let's not bring the pettiness of platform wars here.

Stadia is not a way of gaming. If anything, it's a spit in the face of everything that has to do with it

On 2019-06-07 at 12:03 PM, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

That's your opinion, and you have a right to it. But seriously. What if a user named (GST) "some name" appears on the forums, what if it does get released? What will anyone do aboit it? Hate them? Bully them? What's the point of this thread, really? 

I mean, I don't know much about Stadia either tbh, since that tech will only be available to me after a decade or so, but why start a hate thread on something we don't even know if it'll happen or not? It's not just about the console itself, but the topic, in all honesty.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact

1 hour ago, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

Stadia is not a way of gaming. If anything, it's a spit in the face of everything that has to do with it

According to your opinion, which is worth as much as mine - jack poop.

1 hour ago, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

It's not an opinion, it's a fact

Calling something you believe in "a fact" doesn't actually make it a fact. It's still an opinion, but one that shows how much you need validation to it without actually discussing the issue and by trying to make it untouchable just because "I say so".

Stadia-like businesses may not be the most ethical way of doing it but they still have consumers who create revenue for companies. You don't need to agree. You don't even have to buy it. Sheep are sheep, and wasting any breath on it seems pointless. Just like most apple products. It's in the branding and trendiness, and there are people who enjoy it regardless of you disliking them. <--- This is an actual example of a fact.

But the question remains, oh brave internet warrior. Say a Stadia user appears, and you know it is one. What will you do about it? Serious question. Bark at him until you're tired and get a ban? I really don't see the point in hating it. But then again, you don't need stadia to actually appear to see the hate some people feel towards other platforms for no valid reason. It happens from time to time, even in warframe, and it has happened very recently too. Which is to say I don't like stadia either, and I don't particularly care about it and it wasn't even the point of any comment I made on this thread.

I care about having fun while gaming and my ps4 never let me down. What I was pointing at from my very beginning, for anyone not able to read between the lines, was never about Stadia. It's about unnecessary hateful people, which are way worse than sheep imho.

Don't like it? Well, cry me a river. Go complain about it to Google to see if they care, since they're the ones doing it. I certainly don't, since Stadia is not even an option for me to consider, since I have zero power over it and its effects.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

4 hours ago, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

Stadia is disrespectful and you know it

So please, enlightened deity of facts, where did I say otherwise? Please do quote it, wherever I said stadia is a good thing. At this point this just seems a rep farm by using repeated arguments and people's emotions towards stadia. Since based on that strawman argument it's obvious you didn't read what I wrote.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

On 2019-06-29 at 12:12 PM, Loza03 said:

On average the US and Eu are actually pretty close. US connections seem worse due to continent size. There's a long distance between someone on the West connecting to a server on the East (or opposite), and the longer the distance traveled the more likely issues will appear. This is why when Europeans play games that have no dedicated Eu server, or choose to stay on an NA server, there are periods with severe problems. This is partly why S. Korea has the amazing connection they do, small region. 

Also, I participated in Google's beta to test the streaming service using AC Odyssey, the servers were located up north from where I lived and I had ~40 ping, input lag wasn't as bad as people seem to think it would be, and Google's plan is to have servers all over the place so people wouldn't have to deal with high ping or issues with long distances. There were random connection drops and instances of randomly getting 360p video quality for a second though.

The biggest issue with Google's service would be for those who have metered connections. Streaming a game even at just 1080p is going to use up a lot of data overtime compared to just having it on your computer and accessing the servers yourself. At the same time, as more services demand more data and better connections, this also forces ISPs in the US and major Eu nations to actually provide better servers, as both US and Eu isps are ripping everyone off.

• Like 1

On 2019-06-29 at 6:37 PM, Oreades said:

It always amuses me when people say streaming services are the future when ISPs have been trying to choke, throttle and tier their service plans for years. Offering the consumers less all for the low low price of more...... You think streaming all your games in 1080p or 4k is going to be cheaper just because the "console" you need to do it only set you back $120 or whatever? Nope cause your ISP is gonna find a way to charge you the difference or throttle you down to 106p, Enjoy~ 

Oh and on those days when your internet is down for whatever reason and you just want to play a game to pass the time...... good luck with that. To which I'm sure I will glean a few "If your internet is down your power is probably down so it doesn't matter" ..... yeah I've had a lot more network hiccups and issues over the years than I've had my power go out.

Indeed - people just love to jump on the latest bandwagon. As seen by the various "This is gonna kill Warframe" threads.

Then time goes by, the game continues to prosper and people quietly forget about that 5-minute hype train they got so excited about. :laugh:

Also, as you mentioned, I would be especially concerned about bandwidth throttling, with the prospect of the loss of net neutrality and ISPs having the power to offer tiered levels of service / access, depending on how much customers are willing to shell out.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

I am willing to give stadia a try, though the 60FPS limit is a serious issue at this point, especial for this game. Yes yes, console players, switch users and 4k screeners may say otherwise, but thats probably why you dont see many of them in conclave 😑 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-06-30 at 10:23 PM, ChaosSabre said:

If you like to play Warframe with input lag sure.

When I play Warframe these days I use Parsec, another streaming service. There is input lag, you do notice it, but it's not a big deal and you get used to it. The only time it causes me any issues is that it makes hacking Grineer consoles a bit harder. But the pros outweigh the cons, I get to play Warframe from any machine with decent graphics settings.

I don't do PvP so can't comment on that for Warframe. My eldest used to play Fortnight on Parsec and after some initial frustration he said he got used to the input lag but it does obviously make it harder against opponents without input lag.

I would imagine Stadia is going to have much better latency than Parsec though so even less of an issue...

I wanna toss some information in for the people that seem to know absolutely zero about cloud computing, networking, latency and the like. I have been testing Nvidia's Geforce Now for about 1 year. If you happen to live moderately close to a cloud gaming server... cloud gaming is in-fact amazing. No... there is no "1-second latency"... that's just ignorant. I have a very powerful gaming laptop, new I7, DDR4, Nvidia 1070... I have found myself purposely logging into Geforce Now because not only does it run in absolute maximum graphics+1080+60FPS without breaking a sweat... my laptop is doing absolutely zero work. I have found I can basically run maximum graphics games cranked to the max while I'm sitting on my laptop, unplugged, running off the battery in power-save mode and not only sit there gaming completely unplugged for like 6 hours on battery... but I can also have 20 other things running in the background because the game is only using something like 15% CPU utilization. Now Google Stadia on the other hand (I'm not a big fan of Google) is going to mop the floor with Geforce Now. You will actually only see input latency of like 40ms... not 1 second... in games like Warframe... after playing for 60 minutes... your brain automatically re-calibrates to adjust for "perceived latency" and poof... you don't even notice it. Being able to grab the cheapest... dirtbag... 10 year old computer... or $150 chromebook and actually get a legitimately nice, fully immersive gaming experience out of it just by having a standard internet connection... pretty amazing. It's going to change the entire industry and everyone knows it. That's why every major payer out there is working on their own version... Microsoft is cooking up xCloud as we speak... would not be surprised if we see AMD and Intel toss their hats in the arena very soon. Hopefully some companies other than google will be able to get the tech dialed in. "Hey NSA, how do I bake chicken". For context, I am a 20 year career Systems and Network Engineer and Cybersecurity Analyst, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+ CySA+ 

Edited by L_I_QU_I_D

19 minutes ago, L_I_QU_I_D said:

*clip*

First, some line breaks and paragraphs would help readability.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a hard time even attempting to read a solid block of text like that.

Second, if you live in an area where this will work... yay for you.  I live in an area where my options for Internet are Satellite (with several *seconds* of lag), wireless (also lag), DSL (what I use, and I have 80ms of ping to even connect because I'm connected to a server several hundred miles away to even be online) or cable.  Cable offers higher speeds, at a MUCH higher price.  The local company has a complete monopoly, there are no competitors in this area.  Shockingly, this means that if you don't want bandwidth limiting or data caps, you have to buy the MOST expensive tier of service.  Don't like those options?  Move.

Stadia is a non-issue for me.  It is completely impossible for it to provide reliable, affordable service in my area.  The only kind of Internet that even *might* function with it is so expensive, I'm better off with my 10mbps DSL and saving the (quite considerable) difference in monthly subscription towards upgrading my computer hardware.  But that's okay, because capitalism will sort everything out.  Go 'Murica.  😞

• 3 weeks later...