Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe for the Google Stadia, anyone?

1 minute ago, Loza03 said:

These two points are far from mutually exclusive. 

Game of Thrones is one of the most heavily pirated things on HBO. It is considered one of the best shows, final season notwithstanding. It's also exclusive to that platform. 

That's because GoT is a film. Nobody is going to want your video of an interactive game on torrent.

In this thread, we talk about what would make me stop playing Warframe full stop.

We already had to give up legal ownership of our games, but if they end up taking away the mere possibility of having control over the games we buy I'm out. If WF shuts down or is suddenly geo blocked somewhere people can at least still crack it.

• Like 1

Just now, Loza03 said:

Bold to assume that's all the pirates will be able do. Like I said: Adversity is the mother of invention.

Well now you're talking about hacking, or hijacking customer accounts. That's a different issue. Related somewhat, but different. That will also be a lot harder when hackers can't see the base code without hacking Google servers to see it in the first place. Good luck.

9 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

In this thread, we talk about what would make me stop playing Warframe full stop.

We already had to give up legal ownership of our games, but if they end up taking away the mere possibility of having control over the games we buy I'm out. If WF shuts down or is suddenly geo blocked somewhere people can at least still crack it.

Well then, get ready for the real possibility of no longer being a gamer. RIP.

Just now, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

Well now you're talking about hacking, or hijacking customer accounts. That's a different issue. Related somewhat, but different. That will also be a lot harder when hackers can't see the base code without hacking Google servers to see it in the first place. Good luck.

A lot harder, sure. Yet people have hacked into the Pentagon. You can bet there will be people dumping ROM's sooner or later. Once they find the way in, there's no DRM to stop them. And let's not beat around the bush - there's a way in. No system is airtight.

Competition always triumphs. The motions of the free market cannot be stopped. If Stadia doesn't provide what people want, then something else will. Be it legal... or otherwise.

20 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Until the developers start realising that they're losing customers, especially for more niche games.

Believe me when I say that if there is a mass exodus of gamers because they actually have to buy the game... good riddance! That's what they're thinking. You have to understand, they want money and will not cry for the loss of people playing their games for free.

And frankly... as a paying customer, I agree wholeheartedly!

Just now, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

Believe me when I say that if there is a mass exodus of gamers because they actually have to buy the game... good riddance! That's what they're thinking. You have to understand, they want money and will not cry for the loss of people playing their games for free.

And frankly... as a paying customer, I agree wholeheartedly!

You're right. They want money. And here's the thing: if people stop buying because Stadia is bad? The devs stop GETTING money. Pirates only come into the picture because they provide the alternative service.

Most people won't be leaving because have to buy the game. Most people who leave will do so because the games stop being good.

20 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

You're right. They want money. And here's the thing: if people stop buying because Stadia is bad? The devs stop GETTING money. Pirates only come into the picture because they provide the alternative service.

Most people won't be leaving because have to buy the game. Most people who leave will do so because the games stop being good.

If people stop buying because Stadia is bad? Are you serious right now?

They will fix it, whatever is wrong... IF... anything is wrong. If non-paying players stop playing... GOOD BYE! Seriously, any argument you have means nothing in the face of that one point. Businesses make money and non-paying players are an expense in server maintenance and bandwidth. Profit driven companies will not cry over lost pirates.

29 minutes ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

If people stop buying because Stadia is bad? Are you serious right now?

Yes. Because, y'know... that's how this works.

Stadia will not have universal, instant adoption. If the games on multiple platforms are worse on Stadia, people won't adopt it. If people won't adopt it, the system dies.

29 minutes ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

They will fix it, whatever is wrong... IF... anything is wrong. If non-paying players stop playing... GOOD BYE! Seriously, any argument you have means nothing in the face of that one point. Businesses make money and non-paying players are an expense in server maintenance and bandwidth. Profit driven companies will not cry over lost pirates.

And when the paying players stop playing? Again, Piracy went down for TV streaming when Netflix provided a good service. Now there's tons of exclusives and the service is worse? It's right back on the rise. Supply/demand - the core tenant of economics. If Stadia does not supply what people demand, then no amount of piracy protection will save it.

27 minutes ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

That remains to be seen. I'm 100% sure Google thought of about latency before you mentioned it... Thanks captain obvious!

Considering that there was noticeable latency issues in the reveal, in-house, and the many places that don't have the kind of internet to support it? No, they haven't thought about it. Google notoriously jump the shark a lot. Remember Google Glass?

A lot of Stadia's issues won't be on Google's end, they'll be on the end of the players internet connections. That's not in Google's control. Either they spend a ton of money getting that control, or Stadia will flop anywhere that Ping is a problem.

Edited by Loza03

LOL, now who's making wild assumptions? You're really not seeing the forces at work here from your living-in-moms-basement perspective. Your arguments really scream it. Think what you like. I'll smile thinking of you when playing ESO on Stadia and watching my portfolio grow. 😉

Oh, and from a long time gamer, free to play mooches have really driven the industry into the dirt. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Edited by (XB1)Taz Deduction

4 minutes ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

LOL, now who's making wild assumptions? You're really not seeing the forces at work here from your living-in-moms-basement perspective. Your arguments really scream it. Think what you like. I'll smile thinking of you when playing ESO on Stadia and watching my portfolio grow. 😉

Sure. Ad hominem solves all debate-related issues.

Look, you're drunk.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Taz Deduction said:

I might be a bit tipsy, so your point is mute. 😛

This debate was never going anywhere. I just hope you've not made any decisions you'll regret sober.

Hmm.  I haven't really kept track of Stadia, mostly because I'm not sold on the idea of not owning the games I buy (yes, yes, always-on DRM is almost as bad).

However, my experience playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Stadia was pretty good.  Hardly exhaustive, and games like that tend to be a bit forgiving on the controls by nature, but I never noticed any appreciable input lag.  The game also looked as good as I'd have expected running locally on my gaming rig.  This was all on a 30Mbps Comcast internet connection.

I'm not saying Warframe on it (or any other shooter) would be a good idea, but I'd be interested in whether the clients connected to a Stadia host would have a better experience than in many other scenarios (right up until the host left, naturally).

I can't wait until every website in the world is using stadia links; hoping to get a slice of the pie.  It's a service that no one asked for, but perhaps we'll be so inundated with the adverts on our favorite websites that it works.  

But, to answer OP's question, the input lag from stadia would make any game pretty unbearable.  Even more so for shooting games.  Maybe they'll just add auto aim for stadia users. They will need it.

1 hour ago, jargonburn said:

Hmm.  I haven't really kept track of Stadia, mostly because I'm not sold on the idea of not owning the games I buy (yes, yes, always-on DRM is almost as bad).

However, my experience playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Stadia was pretty good.  Hardly exhaustive, and games like that tend to be a bit forgiving on the controls by nature, but I never noticed any appreciable input lag.  The game also looked as good as I'd have expected running locally on my gaming rig.  This was all on a 30Mbps Comcast internet connection.

I'm not saying Warframe on it (or any other shooter) would be a good idea, but I'd be interested in whether the clients connected to a Stadia host would have a better experience than in many other scenarios (right up until the host left, naturally).

You probably lived near the server for your location. When I participated in the beta I had ~40 ping due to the servers being up north. Input lag wasn't noticeable 90% of the time, but due to distance any slight packet loss resulted in it kicking me out and forcing me to re-start the game back up, as well as random low visual quality too.

Although, in my opinion, Stadia, like consoles, are the biggest waste of money.

i like to see Stadia push games to its next potential with hardware that isn't readily accessible to the common consumer. Like interacting with A.I. NPC's, procedural gaming worlds that's not scripted by humans, but machines. Provide games on that platform that require immense computing power and i gladly make use of this service.

Shouldn't Stadia be concentrating on turn based multiplayer and RTS games? Y'know, games that are very forgiving if your ping is over 120? Shooters and beat-em-up's already suffer greatly from ping issues even on home gaming computers. I can't imagine playing high adrenaline FPS/TPS games on stadia.

Stadia is not really a new concept. It's basically Google's attempt at jumping on the cloud-gaming-bandwagon.

Advantages? Well... cheaper than a really good gaming PC. Has been said before. Probably even cool if you happen to run a gaming-cafe or something relatively uncommon like that.

Disadvantages… you are very restricted because you don't actually own the hardware you *technically* play on. The other end is in actual full control over everything, meaning goodbye to even the last remaining bits of privacy you might have enjoyed on your own hardware.

Also, you're royally screwed in case you move to a different Location and have to either wait for your new internet-access, or you have the bad luck Living someplace that's not equipped with modern cables or fibres so your internet-Connection would be too slow. Also bad luck when your ISP has a technical failure or is overhauling their connections, leading to downtime that lasts a day or more depending on what happens. You wouldn't even be able to play "offline" in such situations.

Also, whenever Google tried something other than keeping their search-engine up and buying already successful services, they hilariously failed. #googleglass

Bottom-line… Stadia danger, bad touch. 

Edited by RedEyedRaven

On 2019-06-07 at 1:34 PM, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

How about we respect other ways of gaming? And what if Warframe releases on it, as a streamed game? No one thought the Switch would be able to run it (or other games) either, but there it is. Stadia is made for another kind of gamer consumer, which one way or another is still rather uncommon among the gaming community, but it is still an alternative to traditional gaming. Let's not bring the pettiness of platform wars here.

Except that the stadia is bad in all regards. 

On 2019-06-07 at 1:46 PM, Leyvonne said:

Tbh I have no idea what Google is trying to do with that service... Like who is it meant for? People who don't have enough money for a proper PC? Having to pay for all the games again + monthly sub for the service + all the Chrome Cast stuff + it needs a minimum of 10Mbps (recommended 35Mbps) connection.. that sounds like a lot of money that I'd rather use on PC upgrades or save for a rainy day. 

It's to push the industry towards a digital standard. Which is a horrible idea, as it only comes out as a benifit for the companies that own/host digital media. And as more and more companies are getting censorious and/or greedy when it comes to true ownership of products. And the ability to literally take away your games if you do something they don't like *cough*Blizzard*cough* is much, much easier if you have no physical copy, its all digital hosted on their servers, and you conveniently said yes to it in the updated terms of service that you really didn't have a choice of accepting or not if you wanted to play the game.

Edited by PR1D3