Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe for the Google Stadia, anyone?

On 2019-06-07 at 3:04 PM, [DE]Drew said:

We have no plans to release on Stadia at this time. 

(one cool thing to consider though is that all missions would be hosted on the Stadia servers)

@[DE]Drew

What about now with Google's updated information, and an obvious interest by the public?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/stadia-founders-edition-is-almost-sold-out-so-heres-the-stadia-premiere-edition/

LT;DR

I think warframe is an AMAZING game that should be enjoyed by an even larger audience as that would have a positive feedback loop for the game.

Research and forward thinking prevents obsoletion. The "use case" for this is larger than people think. A big company does not put vast amounts of money into things that will not turn profit.

For me the casual gamer, who loves playing video games, but doesn't have the time Stadia sounds great. And here is why:

1. Hardware Cost

Even at $10/month that is only $120/year. You cannot say you will have a high end PC five years from now for only $600...let's be honest a $600 PC is a potatoe in half a year after making it, and will never compare to the "PC" you get from streaming.

If you do the math it works out to be a great savings! Plus having someone else pay for your hardware updates is great. Yes, you are paying...but it is a small cost...especially over time. Price a comparable gaming PC then compare its build cost per month to streaming, the numbers favor the streaming PC heavily. 

2. Effort of maintaining 

Do I have a PC that can play most games with graphics cranked at 60+fps? Yeah, but only at 2k and below, and that is with significant money and IT knowledge to keep an older system viable. No, it was not cheaper to buy a new PC. I was able to implement uncommon tech to make an older system highly viable today.

Cloud based hardware removes the hardware upkeep requirements to keep a PC viable for playing current games. Building PCs is fun, but shouldn't be a barrier to entry for great gaming. A barrier that can hurt the game publishers.

Yes, I have the internet speeds to cover Stadia. No, this will not apply to everyone. Just as many people cannot afford to buy a gaming PC, but do have the internet requirements and would be willing to "stream" a PC at the published pricing.

Google stands the largest chance to have the infrastructure needed to pull this off. Many others that have tried do not have the "pockets" that Google does.

3. Ownership

Do people have concerns about losing thier "ownership" of their game? Yeah...makes sense, it's a new platform, but not new concept. Google is not the bleeding edge on this...they are more like the iPod...just cutting edge, and are they even really that?

Everyone has no problem with buying games on Steam, but if Steam goes away and you get a new PC do you still have access to those games??? The concept of owning a game has already made its shift away from physical copies...so why the fuss? Or is it just people realizing what has already been a trend?

4. End of gaming as we know it!!!

*HARD eye roll* Cloud gaming will never replace normal gaming. There are too many people that will not have the internet speeds needed. But many do...which is why Stadia founders edition is selling out in places...and that is with many people just waiting to see how it goes. 

Seriously, stop bashing something because you do not understand it. Most people do not understand how network traffic REALLY works...let alone video compression. Don't make your decision before you have all the facts?

Do I care if Google pulls this off? Meh...it would just be a convince for me, but making a gaming PCs for myself and others is just a fun hobby. I am willing to keep an open mind and hope for the best.

Worst case, I am out $120, and that is only if I do the 4k, not the free 1080p "base" program.

Best case, gaming takes an interesting turn where developers are not limited by the lower average hardware available to their consumers. Where amazing games like Warframe are able to be played by much larger populations. Where access to these amazing games isn't behind yet another pay wall.

Guess I should put my flame suit on to handle the diatribe heading towards me...

• 4 weeks later...
On 2019-09-21 at 7:37 PM, symisz said:

i like to see Stadia push games to its next potential with hardware that isn't readily accessible to the common consumer. Like interacting with A.I. NPC's, procedural gaming worlds that's not scripted by humans, but machines. Provide games on that platform that require immense computing power and i gladly make use of this service.

tooting my own horn here; called it

For exclusives, Google will focus on games "that wouldn't be possible on any other platform", Raymond said. They include detailed cloud-based physics simulations, more advanced AI behavior, or having Google's AI's control NPCs to respond to player actions.

https://www.pcgamer.com/google-to-launch-multiple-game-studios-for-stadia-exclusives-but-huge-new-ip-is-several-years-out/
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-24-google-is-making-a-spectrum-of-bets-on-stadia-content

Now if you are listening in to this Jade 😉 Please make use of Google's Voice to Text transcription software to create ways to command NPC's.
And while you are at it, make the players avatar less immersive breaking by replacing their voice completely to match their avatar.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm waiting to get my Stadia.

I travel for work and it's a hassle to bring  consoles or extra computers along.   I usually bring 2 laptops for work.  Throwing a chromecast ultra and contoller in my bag would be easy.

I just think it could work.  I'll find out tonight how it works.  I mostly play on console because I suck at keyboard and mouse. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjDwrhydLBMMqdC7uHj6Q

I find it funny that they're charging full price for a completely unfinished, half-baked service. It's almost like Bethesda/Zenimax designed this thing.

I also find it funny that they expect people to pay full price for old games that you don't even download, you just stream. You're basically paying for the 'privilege' to access old games but with additional, and game-breaking, input lag 🤣 wtf were they smoking.

How about we call the Stadia what it really is?

scam-400.jpg

Edited by Numerikuu

I just jumped into this thread to say that I'm thrilled playing Destiny 2 with my Stadia. It's pretty funny: 90% of the people in the Stadia Discord group are mindblown and love it & 90% of the online "rEvIeWs" are fcking disgusted by the idea in general.

I don't know on what kind of potato-internet they are playing but I'm having a blast with my Philips SmartTV, GoogleChromecast 4K attached to it and both directly plugged into my router via ethernet.

As a hardcore gamer myself I of course do notice a minimal, MINIMAL, MINIIIIIIIIMAL input lag but that's forgotten in 5 minutes of play. What blows me away is the consistency of the stream. Every now and then (like every 3-4 Minutes the stream quality goes down for about a second just to bump up to 4K resolution again. Something you literally start to ignore after you are invested in your game.

It actually feels like playing an old PS2 game on your PS2 when that happens. I remember MGS3 Snake Eater being totally ahead of its time and the PS2 barely being able to play it. It had some sequences that were laggy but me and literally most people don't even gave a fck.

The ultra plus is: I don't have to buy a fully rigged out 2K-3K gaming machine to play games like Cyberpunk2077. I can just pay 120+60 bucks and have fun with it for a complete year.

It's EXTREMELY important to note that Stadia IS NOT a gaming platform for competetive gaming. Whoever thinks he/she can play CSGO or something like that on it (or that it should be able to do that) is disillusional and stupid. Stadia is advertising itself as the platform that streams TRIPLE A titles, mainly campaign- and story driven games in which your input is actually pretty hidden in character animations.

I'd rather spend 2k bucks on a trip to canada or have the time of my life rather than "investing" that into a machine which gets obselete performance wise pretty fast. That per se is great. I love technology but normal people can't keep up financially with the speed of technological evolution.

So yeah, I just google'd if there are plans or any thoughts about Warframe coming to Stadia. And heck I would definitely play it on there and even would pay money for it.

Edited by masqueradr

9 minutes ago, masqueradr said:

I just jumped into this thread to say that I'm thrilled playing Destiny 2 with my Stadia. It's pretty funny: 90% of the people in the Stadia Discord group are mindblown and love it & 90% of the online "rEvIeWs" are fcking disgusted by the idea in general.

I don't know on what kind of potato-internet they are playing but I'm having a blast with my Philips SmartTV, GoogleChromecast 4K attached to it and both directly plugged into my router via ethernet.

As a hardcore gamer myself I of course do notice a minimal, MINIMAL, MINIIIIIIIIMAL input lag but that's forgotten in 5 minutes of play. What blows me away is the consistency of the stream. Every now and then (like every 3-4 Minutes the stream quality goes down for about a second just to bump up to 4K resolution again. Something you literally start to ignore after you are invested in your game.

It actually feels like playing an old PS2 game on your PS2. I remember MGS3 Snake Eater being totally ahead of its time and the PS2 barely being able to play it. It had some sequences that were laggy but me and literally most people don't even gave a fck.

The ultra plus is: I don't have to buy a fully rigged out 2K-3K gaming machine to play games like Cyberpunk2077. I can just pay 120+60 bucks and have fun with it for a complete year.

It's EXTREMELY important to note that Stadia IS NOT a gaming platform for competetive gaming. Whoever thinks he/she can play CSGO or something like that on it (or that it should be able to do that) is disillusional and stupid. Stadia is advertising itself as the platform that streams TRIPLE A titles, mainly campaign- and story driven games in which your input is actually pretty hidden in character animations. 

So yeah, I just google'd if there are plans or any thoughts about Warframe coming to Stadia. And heck I would definitely play it on there and even would pay money for it.

This seems reasonable. I’ve only heard Patrick Klepek express similar sentiments, that the convenience is going to be more important to a lot of people than the lack of technical specs. 

21 minutes ago, masqueradr said:

It actually feels like playing an old PS2 game on your PS2 when that happens. I remember MGS3 Snake Eater being totally ahead of its time and the PS2 barely being able to play it. It had some sequences that were laggy but me and literally most people don't even gave a fck.

I'd rather spend 2k bucks on a trip to canada or have the time of my life rather than "investing" that into a machine which gets obselete performance wise pretty fast. That per se is great. I love technology but normal people can't keep up financially with the speed of technological evolution.

It's been a long time since i laugh this good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, masqueradr said:

You are probably the only person I've heard that's happy with Stadia. 

And every ounce of video evidence I've seen indicates input lag alone would render warframe effectively unplayable on the service. Do you have any proof to back up what you're saying, any video or anything? 

35 minutes ago, Paradoxity said:

You are probably the only person I've heard that's happy with Stadia. 

And every ounce of video evidence I've seen indicates input lag alone would render warframe effectively unplayable on the service. Do you have any proof to back up what you're saying, any video or anything? 

Screenshot1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pr15vUTGUD_NBI6pm9jcoQjMI5jxtXZs/view
Screenshot2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G5SJ3afCeW-sLzFNuovK08FUXdH_JAhS/view?usp=sharing

30fps recording showing input times (no audio because privacy and I was talking like an idiot to my colleague):

11 minutes ago, masqueradr said:

Screenshot1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pr15vUTGUD_NBI6pm9jcoQjMI5jxtXZs/view
Screenshot2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G5SJ3afCeW-sLzFNuovK08FUXdH_JAhS/view?usp=sharing

30fps recording showing input times (no audio because privacy and I was talking like an idiot to my colleague):

Bear in mind that more or less every site reports 'mixed' results.

Some people have it good. Others... not so much.

10 minutes ago, masqueradr said:

Spoiler

Interesting. 

I still won't be touching Stadia with a ten foot pole, but it's interesting to see the latency issues aren't a constant thing.