Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

After Rhino - I Need Help Picking My Next Warframe

castem

Question

I love my Rhino.  I play solo, so having a frame that's incredibly durable is very nice.  To be honest, I might've gotten complacent; I never even gave much thought to other Warframes until the recent Forma alert.

During that alert, I was fighting level 60+ Grineer (the missions I'm doing right now are about levels ~30-40).  Facing much stronger Grineer than I'm used to made me realize that Iron Skin doesn't scale well.  It worked amazing at lower levels, is alright where I'm currently at, but I have serious concerns about the future.  In the alert, my Iron Skin was being stripped off in seconds.  Aside from Infested maps (where the Rhino really shines for me), I don't see how the Rhino would be able to handle higher-level content.  (Note that I'm not concerned about completing 100 waves in defense or anything hardcore like that; I just want to be able to complete every planet solo.)

That being said, I'm looking for my next warframe.  I love charging in with melee; so far my playstyle has consisted of Iron Skin and dodging combined with [charged] melee attacks.  This being the case, I believe one of the following warframes might work for me:

- Frost (snow globe / tank)

- Ash (cool abilities, melee prowess)

- Volt (speed for offense, shield for defense)

I'm looking for any suggestions, tips, or advice experienced players might have on this matter.  Am I on the right track?  Am I not considering a warframe I should be?  (If you think a different warframe would also work, please let me know.)

23 answers to this question

Nah, not Volt.

Rhino is good enough to solo all planets. 

I tried Nyx and Nova solo on Palus of Pluto (survival). Had to use a few revives because a Disruptor ninja-ed me, 

But I am able to stay 10mins or more without using revives with Rhino. On a side note, I wasn't carrying any max-ed weapons. 

If you want to complete the whole WF content Solo, Frost and Nyx are the best options. Because there are defense missions on planets as well. 

After playing Rhino for a while, I picked up Trinity. I've been using her ever since.

Pros:

• Infinite energy because of Energy Vampire.

• Single target stun from Energy Vampire.

• Infinite shields and HP because of Blessing.

• Duration-based invulnerability, also from Blessing.

• Impervious to most status effects, e.g. knockdown, disruptor's attack, poison, etc. because of Link.

• Reduced incoming damage, also from Link.

Of course, these "infinites" would only be possible if the skills are timed correctly.

My usual skill flow would be:

Blessing, Link, Energy Vampire

Rinse and repeat.

Edit: Added some more info.

Edited by Laserborn

Nah, not Volt.

Rhino is good enough to solo all planets. 

I tried Nyx and Nova solo on Palus of Pluto (survival). Had to use a few revives because a Disruptor ninja-ed me, 

But I am able to stay 10mins or more without using revives with Rhino. On a side note, I wasn't carrying any max-ed weapons. 

If you want to complete the whole WF content Solo, Frost and Nyx are the best options. Because there are defense missions on planets as well. 

I'm kinda disappointed about Volt being dismissed right off the bat.  I was actually kind of looking forward to Volt....

However, it's reassuring to hear that Rhino is good enough to solo all planets.

After playing Rhino for a while, I picked up Trinity. I've been using her ever since.

Pros:

• Infinite energy because of Energy Vampire.

• Single target stun from Energy Vampire.

• Infinite shields and HP because of Blessing.

• Duration-based invulnerability, also from Blessing.

• Impervious to most status effects, e.g. knockdown, disruptor's attack, poison, etc. because of Link.

• Reduced incoming damage, also from Link.

Of course, these "infinites" would only be possible if the skills are timed correctly.

My usual skill flow would be:

Blessing, Link, Energy Vampire

Rinse and repeat.

Edit: Added some more info.

Trinity sounds a lot better than I gave it credit for.  Temporary invulnerability + energy gain seems like it would tank better than Iron Skin would.  (That sounds great, but also makes me worry for the Rhino.)

I think I'll try for Trinity at the moment.  Link, Energy Vampire, and Blessing sounds like an unstoppable combination...in addition, the boss needed shouldn't be too hard to farm.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I can solo most things just fine with most warframes, but found great success with Trinity, Nova, and Rhino.

Trinity is mostly for solo sort of endurance/survival kind of fight, like how I tried to solo the new boss with terrible weapons. I ama. Good enough Trinity and never ran out of health.

DO NOT EXPECT TO TAKE GROUPS OF ENEMIES OUT QUICKLY. Trinity lacks an AoE that can take out groups of enemies.

Nova is mostly a solo rushing kind of frame. You're nearly as fast as a Loki, AND you have offensive abilities. She's like a better Loki in most situations. A Radial Disarm won't clear a mission as well as a Molecular Prime, that's for sure.

Rhino, the one I would use for general gameplay. With a Vanguard helmet, build him to use Rhino Stomp and you're invincible. Don't spend an arm and leg trying to get your Iron Skin to work at it's best.

Tl;dr:

Trinity - Endurance-type battles where you have to survive

Nova - Solo Rush, best killer in general

Rhino - General Use; slower, more durable than Nova

I also suggest Banshee solely for boss rushes. A Sonar lets me take down Vay Hek within a quarter of a Soma clip. A Shade helps a lot with that.

Edited by Xievie

I can solo most things just fine with most warframes, but found great success with Trinity, Nova, and Rhino.

Trinity is mostly for solo sort of endurance/survival kind of fight, like how I tried to solo the new boss with terrible weapons. I ama. Good enough Trinity and never ran out of health.

DO NOT EXPECT TO TAKE GROUPS OF ENEMIES OUT QUICKLY. Trinity lacks an AoE that can take out groups of enemies.

Nova is mostly a solo rushing kind of frame. You're nearly as fast as a Loki, AND you have offensive abilities. She's like a better Loki in most situations. A Radial Disarm won't clear a mission as well as a Molecular Prime, that's for sure.

Rhino, the one I would use for general gameplay. With a Vanguard helmet, build him to use Rhino Stomp and you're invincible. Don't spend an arm and leg trying to get your Iron Skin to work at it's best.

Tl;dr:

Trinity - Endurance-type battles where you have to survive

Nova - Solo Rush, best killer in general

Rhino - General Use; slower, more durable than Nova

I also suggest Banshee solely for boss rushes. A Sonar lets me take down Vay Hek within a quarter of a Soma clip. A Shade helps a lot with that.

Thanks for the tips!  It seems I'm on the right track with Trinity & Rhino.

Nova sounds cool, but I'm definitely going more for survival rather than room-clearing powers. I'll keep Nova in mind, though, if I have a change of heart later.

EDIT:  so the trick to surviving with Rhino at high levels is Rhino Stomp?  It makes sense, but seems rather counter-intuitive; you'd think a defensive power like Iron Skin would offer more defense/survival.

In any case, I've got a Vanguard helmet, so I'm set there, but I haven't gotten a Flow mod yet.  (I also haven't gotten any mods that boost power duration yet.)  Hopefully I'll pick up some of the mods I'll need as I make my way through the planets.

Edited by castem

Thanks for the tips!  It seems I'm on the right track with Trinity & Rhino.

Nova sounds cool, but I'm definitely going more for survival rather than room-clearing powers. I'll keep Nova in mind, though, if I have a change of heart later.

Nova does have (debatably) the best room clearing capabilities, but a Rhino may be able to so the same for enemies that aren't insanely high levels, maybe like, 80-ish and under are one shotted by a Focus Rhino Stomp.

Build Rhino for his stomp, I'm telling you, I actually eould stop using him if he lost such a great ability.

Rhino can solo everything with fairly low effort. Find yourself a Focus mod and suddenly Iron Skin is viable for Pluto. That, combined with a Redirection of at least level 6, should get you where you want to go. Plus, Focus makes your Roar more powerful, as well as Stomp.

I also suggest getting a Hek/Sobek as soon as you can, as both of them still ignore armor (while that's relevant), and they're shotguns so they should fit in with your playstyle. You will have to alter your strategy a little bit though. You'll get auto-downed by high-level Techs and Heavy Gunners no matter how good you are if you just fly in there. Just learn to flank well and you should be fine with whatever melee you're running, a handy shotgun, and some knives of your choosing.

Nova does have (debatably) the best room clearing capabilities, but a Rhino may be able to so the same for enemies that aren't insanely high levels, maybe like, 80-ish and under are one shotted by a Focus Rhino Stomp.

Build Rhino for his stomp, I'm telling you, I actually eould stop using him if he lost such a great ability.

I wasn't arguing or disagreeing with you concerning building Rhino for his stomp; I'll definitely give it a try.

Also, it looks like I need a Focus mod.

Rhino can solo everything with fairly low effort. Find yourself a Focus mod and suddenly Iron Skin is viable for Pluto. That, combined with a Redirection of at least level 6, should get you where you want to go. Plus, Focus makes your Roar more powerful, as well as Stomp.

I also suggest getting a Hek/Sobek as soon as you can, as both of them still ignore armor (while that's relevant), and they're shotguns so they should fit in with your playstyle. You will have to alter your strategy a little bit though. You'll get auto-downed by high-level Techs and Heavy Gunners no matter how good you are if you just fly in there. Just learn to flank well and you should be fine with whatever melee you're running, a handy shotgun, and some knives of your choosing.

It looks like I really need a Focus mod.

I am working towards a Hek/Sobek (haven't decided which one to get yet), and already have Hikou (which work wonderfully for me right now; although I also use my Vasto quite a bit).

I don't mind flanking when facing heavies; however, my current strategy works really well if I can close the distance (which is made easier by my Shade's Cloak, my Vanguard helmet, blocking, and cryo ammunition on my weapons).  It seems that a heavy can only use their ground punch/slam once (so after they do it, they can't use it again).  I get somewhat close to them and dodge backwards (causing them to ground punch harmlessly), and afterwards I weave in and out of their melee range (so they attempt to melee me) and take them down using my own melee attacks.  It seems to work well, except when multiple heavies are present (in which case I find some cover and aim for head shots).

The Rhino is the most versatile frame you can find, works well in every situations, to the point you could call him overpowered. All 4 of his skills are useful and iron skin works very well even over level 100 content.

Grineer are a pain for every frame because of their hitscan weapons, if your iron skin drops off constantly, any other frame would be dead.

If you really want melee gameplay, nothing beats Rhino. Immune to knockdowns and cc, immune to damage, badass.

Rhino%20builds.jpg

Personally, I'd recommend Ash for your next frame. Since you stated that you love using charged Melee, and want a fairly durable frame, Ash seems like he fits the bill quite well. He's in competition with Rhino for best solo frame in the game, has a very good balance of abilities, and is just plain fun. Plus, his boss is a breeze to farm (unlike some frames like Nekros and Nova).

From CP's regular build I'd personally swap in Redirection/Vigour in the D polarities to pop shields over 1k, and I prefer Streamline to Flow personally.

For your next frame;

Trinity is the best tank. But I find her kind of boring - shes very weapon focused and while powerful feels 'slower' than other frames. Link feels completely useless most of the time, the damage being dealt to others is unreliable as you're better off killing targets than standing there letting them shoot you. Works really well as a solo frame and at higher levels, but is weaker in groups as a dps due to linked/ES targets being killed by teammates.

In your position I would consider Ash, as you've stated you love to melee. Invis makes him basically invincible, and hes got teleport to keep him mobile.

Frost is a good frame for defense missions, but like Trinity feels 'slow' during other mission types, and you wont be charging in as much as you'd think for a tank, at higher levels you've gotta stay in the snow globe. But hes the only frame other than Rhino that can effectively solo Grineer or Corpus (mobile) defense missions.

Since you already have Rhino, I saay go for Frost/Frost Prime. Rhino is a very good all around frame, same goes with Frost.

Edit: I have Ash but I prefer using my Loki over him so I can't comment much about him. Also Don't get Volt until DE decides to further improve him.

Edited by mcryseria

Personally, I'd recommend Ash for your next frame. Since you stated that you love using charged Melee, and want a fairly durable frame, Ash seems like he fits the bill quite well. He's in competition with Rhino for best solo frame in the game, has a very good balance of abilities, and is just plain fun. Plus, his boss is a breeze to farm (unlike some frames like Nekros and Nova).

From CP's regular build I'd personally swap in Redirection/Vigour in the D polarities to pop shields over 1k, and I prefer Streamline to Flow personally.

For your next frame;

Trinity is the best tank. But I find her kind of boring - shes very weapon focused and while powerful feels 'slower' than other frames. Link feels completely useless most of the time, the damage being dealt to others is unreliable as you're better off killing targets than standing there letting them shoot you. Works really well as a solo frame and at higher levels, but is weaker in groups as a dps due to linked/ES targets being killed by teammates.

In your position I would consider Ash, as you've stated you love to melee. Invis makes him basically invincible, and hes got teleport to keep him mobile.

Frost is a good frame for defense missions, but like Trinity feels 'slow' during other mission types, and you wont be charging in as much as you'd think for a tank, at higher levels you've gotta stay in the snow globe. But hes the only frame other than Rhino that can effectively solo Grineer or Corpus (mobile) defense missions.

Ash sounds really good as well.

I think I'll get myself another Warframe slot and get both Trinity & Ash.  Even in the event that I don't really like one of them, I'll still get some rank for leveling them up.

(Note that I'm still keeping my Rhino; it seems that I totally underestimated how effective the Rhino can be at higher levels.  In this case, I'm quite glad I was wrong, as it means I get to keep playing with a warframe I enjoy.  ^.^ )

Thank you to everyone who posted suggestions/advice!

The Rhino is the most versatile frame you can find, works well in every situations, to the point you could call him overpowered. All 4 of his skills are useful and iron skin works very well even over level 100 content.

Grineer are a pain for every frame because of their hitscan weapons, if your iron skin drops off constantly, any other frame would be dead.

If you really want melee gameplay, nothing beats Rhino. Immune to knockdowns and cc, immune to damage, badass.

Rhino%20builds.jpg

i'd put equilibrium on nightmare setup

I love my Rhino.  I play solo, so having a frame that's incredibly durable is very nice.  To be honest, I might've gotten complacent; I never even gave much thought to other Warframes until the recent Forma alert.

During that alert, I was fighting level 60+ Grineer (the missions I'm doing right now are about levels ~30-40).  Facing much stronger Grineer than I'm used to made me realize that Iron Skin doesn't scale well.  It worked amazing at lower levels, is alright where I'm currently at, but I have serious concerns about the future.  In the alert, my Iron Skin was being stripped off in seconds.  Aside from Infested maps (where the Rhino really shines for me), I don't see how the Rhino would be able to handle higher-level content.  (Note that I'm not concerned about completing 100 waves in defense or anything hardcore like that; I just want to be able to complete every planet solo.)

That being said, I'm looking for my next warframe.  I love charging in with melee; so far my playstyle has consisted of Iron Skin and dodging combined with [charged] melee attacks.  This being the case, I believe one of the following warframes might work for me:

- Frost (snow globe / tank)

- Ash (cool abilities, melee prowess)

- Volt (speed for offense, shield for defense)

I'm looking for any suggestions, tips, or advice experienced players might have on this matter.  Am I on the right track?  Am I not considering a warframe I should be?  (If you think a different warframe would also work, please let me know.)

I have Ash and Rhino, both Melee setups. I'm working on finding power throw for Ash then smoke bomb + whirlwind to victory. As far as Rhino goes, let me give a few tips that where game changers and made Rhino not only viable at super high level's, but truly unstoppable.

First off the weapon. You absolutely need a weapon that hits fast and can stagger. I would suggest Orthos prime, Dual Ethers, Dual Zorans with stun mods. I would not suggest Scindo, Fragor or anything like that. Reaper works well, but i haven't used it enough to really comment. The new Dakka Prime looks promising and hopefully i'll have that soon. Now, first thing is first,

How to Melee at high levels: DO NOT SPAM CHARGE ATTACK. It will get you killed at high end content. Any enemy past 90 will have a sitting target while your charging. Rushing a small group of guys when there are other groups shooting at you (think T3 Defence) you should spin attack past them, and move onto the next target, then return to spin attack. It makes it hard to hit you. If your facing a small group or a single target where there arn't 10 guy's shooting at you, use a staggering normal attack to stun lock. After 2-3 hits, you can safely use a charge attack, provided you can get it below .7 seconds (Dual Ethers are perfect for this, where Zorans it's not worth the time, and orthus is decent if its fast and you need range) Also use the long jump (summersalt flip) to fly to enemys and slam for knockdowns. Once they are knocked down, don't stab them on the ground, instead, either charge attack or go into normal attacks. Now onto setups:

What you need no matter what:

Rhino, Vanguard Helm, Shade

Vitality, Redirection, Quick Rest, Focus, Streamline.

These things are non negotiable. It allows for huge damage war stomps often, 1 energy ball Iron Skin. It also allows for huge survivability increases, and it's fun. You need the speed of the Vanguard Helmet. The trade off is next to nothing. You end up with Nova style speed, which makes melee so much more manageable.  Shade gives you invis, which happens alot. It forces monsters to lose you as a target. This allows you to reapply iron skin, setup a charge attack, slide attack, choose a differnt group, run to safety, you name it. Focus gives Ironskin 30% more ironskin shield buffer. Combine that with Streamline and you should ALWAYS be able to keep up iron skin. It also allows you to use Rhino Stomp quite liberaly. In short, it adds more then triples your survivability with those 2 mods. Quick rest is needed and max stam mods are also nice, as you will be sprinting and attacking alot. The worst is when your going into a charge slide and your stamina gives you.

Optional Stuff:

Shade + Shotgun (If you but stun / ice / Fire rate, it CC's and kills stuff very well. Since your already at close range, it tends to work wonders.)

Vigor/Shield recharge rate

Energy Siphon Aura (makes a HUGE difference with streamline / focus. Every 58/29/19/14 seconds is a free Iron Skin depending on how many players are running that aura.)

Roar (Roar + Stomp = amazing damage numbers, and it helps you go on a rampage with your weapon of choice.

Your weapon needs to get to at least 1.25 attack speed or faster, it needs to have an ice mod of any kind, and stagger or stun. It also MUST be able to hit multiple enemy's and have an AoE stagger or stun for your slam attack. You need at least one clear out gun (Orgis/twin gremlins/Sobek/Soma/Grakata/Gorgon/Paris with Exploding tips, etc) and one low ammo use, long ranged gun (dual vasto's, Paris, Lex, etc) Because there will be times you simply can't through a hallway safely, or are low on something.

Target priority will always be ancient's then everyone else.

Anyways, hope this helps. I've regularly melee'd max rank mobs quite comfortably.

I have Ash and Rhino, both Melee setups. I'm working on finding power throw for Ash then smoke bomb + whirlwind to victory. As far as Rhino goes, let me give a few tips that where game changers and made Rhino not only viable at super high level's, but truly unstoppable.

First off the weapon. You absolutely need a weapon that hits fast and can stagger. I would suggest Orthos prime, Dual Ethers, Dual Zorans with stun mods. I would not suggest Scindo, Fragor or anything like that. Reaper works well, but i haven't used it enough to really comment. The new Dakka Prime looks promising and hopefully i'll have that soon. Now, first thing is first,

How to Melee at high levels: DO NOT SPAM CHARGE ATTACK. It will get you killed at high end content. Any enemy past 90 will have a sitting target while your charging. Rushing a small group of guys when there are other groups shooting at you (think T3 Defence) you should spin attack past them, and move onto the next target, then return to spin attack. It makes it hard to hit you. If your facing a small group or a single target where there arn't 10 guy's shooting at you, use a staggering normal attack to stun lock. After 2-3 hits, you can safely use a charge attack, provided you can get it below .7 seconds (Dual Ethers are perfect for this, where Zorans it's not worth the time, and orthus is decent if its fast and you need range) Also use the long jump (summersalt flip) to fly to enemys and slam for knockdowns. Once they are knocked down, don't stab them on the ground, instead, either charge attack or go into normal attacks. Now onto setups:

What you need no matter what:

Rhino, Vanguard Helm, Shade

Vitality, Redirection, Quick Rest, Focus, Streamline.

These things are non negotiable. It allows for huge damage war stomps often, 1 energy ball Iron Skin. It also allows for huge survivability increases, and it's fun. You need the speed of the Vanguard Helmet. The trade off is next to nothing. You end up with Nova style speed, which makes melee so much more manageable.  Shade gives you invis, which happens alot. It forces monsters to lose you as a target. This allows you to reapply iron skin, setup a charge attack, slide attack, choose a differnt group, run to safety, you name it. Focus gives Ironskin 30% more ironskin shield buffer. Combine that with Streamline and you should ALWAYS be able to keep up iron skin. It also allows you to use Rhino Stomp quite liberaly. In short, it adds more then triples your survivability with those 2 mods. Quick rest is needed and max stam mods are also nice, as you will be sprinting and attacking alot. The worst is when your going into a charge slide and your stamina gives you.

Optional Stuff:

Shade + Shotgun (If you but stun / ice / Fire rate, it CC's and kills stuff very well. Since your already at close range, it tends to work wonders.)

Vigor/Shield recharge rate

Energy Siphon Aura (makes a HUGE difference with streamline / focus. Every 58/29/19/14 seconds is a free Iron Skin depending on how many players are running that aura.)

Roar (Roar + Stomp = amazing damage numbers, and it helps you go on a rampage with your weapon of choice.

Your weapon needs to get to at least 1.25 attack speed or faster, it needs to have an ice mod of any kind, and stagger or stun. It also MUST be able to hit multiple enemy's and have an AoE stagger or stun for your slam attack. You need at least one clear out gun (Orgis/twin gremlins/Sobek/Soma/Grakata/Gorgon/Paris with Exploding tips, etc) and one low ammo use, long ranged gun (dual vasto's, Paris, Lex, etc) Because there will be times you simply can't through a hallway safely, or are low on something.

Target priority will always be ancient's then everyone else.

Anyways, hope this helps. I've regularly melee'd max rank mobs quite comfortably.

I'm already at the point where simply spamming charge attack won't work.  My current strategy is 1 regular melee hit (which staggers most targets) followed by 1 charge attack (which kills most targets).  (Since I've got Focus Energy on my Orthos, melee attacks will sometimes stun/electrocute the target as well.)  This strategy works on pretty much everything but heavies and bosses.  (Since you said 2-3 hits, instead of one, I assume the stagger only works when it damages an opponent's health.  I might be wrong about that though.)

On the things that I need no matter what, I have everything on that list except for Focus.  (I really want one, but I don't know where it drops.)

Getting a shotgun for my Shade sounds great.  I'll keep that in mind when I've got a bit more credits.

Thanks for reminding me about the ice mod.  I'll put a North Wind mod on my Orthos next chance I get.

I've got a Soma and Vasto already and I'm working towards either a Hek or Sobek (leaning towards Sobek).  It sounds like I should be good on that front.

You helped me quite a bit!  Thanks for all the tips.  It's reassuring to hear that melee still works on max rank mobs (with the right preparation, of course).

I'm already at the point where simply spamming charge attack won't work.  My current strategy is 1 regular melee hit (which staggers most targets) followed by 1 charge attack (which kills most targets).  (Since I've got Focus Energy on my Orthos, melee attacks will sometimes stun/electrocute the target as well.)  This strategy works on pretty much everything but heavies and bosses.  (Since you said 2-3 hits, instead of one, I assume the stagger only works when it damages an opponent's health.  I might be wrong about that though.)

On the things that I need no matter what, I have everything on that list except for Focus.  (I really want one, but I don't know where it drops.)

Getting a shotgun for my Shade sounds great.  I'll keep that in mind when I've got a bit more credits.

Thanks for reminding me about the ice mod.  I'll put a North Wind mod on my Orthos next chance I get.

I've got a Soma and Vasto already and I'm working towards either a Hek or Sobek (leaning towards Sobek).  It sounds like I should be good on that front.

You helped me quite a bit!  Thanks for all the tips.  It's reassuring to hear that melee still works on max rank mobs (with the right preparation, of course).

Contrary to the post you quoted, spamming melee attack does work.

What you can do with heavy melee weapons (I'm using Hate) is jump aoe, with North Wind attached, followed with charged attacks.

Enemies will be lying down on the ground and Hate hits low on charge attacks, they suddenly become piñatas with loot.

I have to disagree with the needed mods too, I've lately ran with maxed Redirection and Vigor, which gets me 1290 shields and I have yet to run out of stamina so Quick rest is a waste.

Sliding consumes no stamina and you get regen during it, rhino charge is also an awesome way to get around when using continuity and constitution.