Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid's abilties since the Concord update

Ordo

Hey everyone. It's my first time posting on the forums so I'm not too sure if this is the first mention of it or not but I have looked through 6 pages and haven't found a mention of Hydroid.

So, to those unaware: Since the Concord update, Hydroid's abilities have been wonkier than usual and Barrage/Tentacles have also lost its area of effect "preview" when you're charging up the ability. I don't know if this was intended or not, I'll bet on that it isn't intended. I am sure DE has talked about this visible aoe because you can spot it immediately but I only play a few hours a day and don't have much time for streams or news, etc.

When it comes to lag: What I mean by wonky is, for example, when there's the slightest bit of lag on the side of the host (most of the times I don't even feel any lag but if I'm not the host it happens pretty regularly), the abilities barely work and this might just be me but the tentacles have been worse than they used to be as well but I cover that in the next paragraph.

What happens, kind of funny actually, is I cast the Tentacle Swarm and it casts as it would usually cast but the next cast doesn't overwrite the first, regardless of how many times I cast it. Fully charged, no charge, half charge, the result is the same. But I still use up my energy and when the timer on the Tentacle Swarm is over, it automatically appears on my 2nd cast location. Sometimes when I cast it again and keep casting, the Tentacle Swarm appears at my 2nd cast location then 3rd location and so on if the cast is deemed "successful". This happens on most games I'm not host and my brother has also had these problems, he lives nowhere near me so it's not my internet or my area and this never happened to me before. I've been playing Hydroid for years.

When it comes to the Tentacle Swarm being wonkier: Let's say there's 8 enemies for example and I cast a fully charged Tentacle Swarm in the middle of them, 6 of them are pushed up (as usual) and the other 2 don't get grabbed at all or pushed up. When they fall down, most of them don't get grabbed or take a huge amount of time to register. Tentacle Swarm has always had this kind of problems but not like this. The tentacle is clearly hitting him and he doesn't get grabbed or take damage. Regardless if it's a tentacle from the swarm or his passive. And this is without lag. Sometimes there's 10 of them in the middle of the Tentacle Swarm just standing still shooting at me and the tentacles are just decorations.

Ideally us Hydroid players would love for most of Tentacle Swarm's problems to be gone but I get it, it's not an easy job. These recent problems though.. Hydroid is my favourite frame and I can't play him on high level content like I used to. Hydroid is already a very specific frame as it is like Vauban with not much going for him but now, I can really only play him to play God/AFK simulator or Tsunami simulator.

I'd also like to say, there's no real good way to cancel the charging abilities. Enlighten me if I'm wrong but the only ways to cancel them is by going into Operator form or using Tidal Wave. Both ways not only kill the momentum but can put you in bad positions, and in the case of the Tidal Wave it defeats the purpose as it also makes you use up energy. Why not make it so if you hold your Reload key for half a second, it cancels it. It wouldn't interfere with the reload + casting mechanic and it would create a good ability cancelling mechanic. No one has a reason to hold the Reload key.

rGosliv.png

1st pic: I know this doesn't really show much but I just cast a fully charged Tentacle Swarm on my feet, no water or "Loch Ness" head appeared. I'm not the host but I wasn't lagging at all, it was a very fluid game. The Tentacle Swarm spawned like 300m away on where I had cast it after the 1st one.

oa7mXIj.png

2nd pic: This is probably redundant since everyone who has played Hydroid since the update knows but as you can see, the "preview" of the aoe is gone.

I might be wrong but using fully white/black energy color makes everything you cast "transparent" or almost "invisible". I say this because in your 2nd pic the casting ring takes the color of your energy when you are charging it, in this case i see it's some white tone or pale grey (maybe from the Smoke color palette??) so your abilities might appear "translucent" if not almost "invisible"

Edited by Gorgorex

12 minutes ago, Gorgorex said:

I might be wrong but using fully white/black energy color makes everything you cast "transparent" or almost "invisible". I say this because in your 2nd pic the casting ring takes the color of your energy when you are charging it, in this case i see it's some white tone or pale grey (maybe from the Smoke color palette??) so your abilities might appear "translucent" if not almost "invisible"

Doesn't matter what colour or combination I use and I'm using white colours. This has never been a problem, black is the only one with problems. If anything, white makes everything a lot more visible.

8Xu8tsm.png

And as you can see in this picture, not only there's nothing on the wall but there's this weird chameleon-like water ripples only appear under me and I have 100% ability range, just like on the other screenshots.

12 minutes ago, ORDOJESUCHRISTO said:

Doesn't matter what colour or combination I use and I'm using white colours. This has never been a problem, black is the only one with problems. If anything, white makes everything a lot more visible.

8Xu8tsm.png

And as you can see in this picture, not only there's nothing on the wall but there's this weird chameleon-like water ripples only appear under me and I have 100% ability range, just like on the other screenshots.

Will check my Hydroids later on after having lunch, I've never had this issue. In the meantime you might use the tool from the launcher to verify your game files just in case.

I haven't played Hydroid in ages, so I'm not sure how it looked before, but I am seeing range indicators. I see a caustic lighting effect on surfaces around the target point:

lri.jpg

My range is long enough here that it is reaching all the way to me, so you can see it clearly on the wall to the left. This is with pure white energy in a single slot, I don't have him forma'd so I can't test dual energy.

12 minutes ago, egregiousRac said:

I haven't played Hydroid in ages, so I'm not sure how it looked before, but I am seeing range indicators. I see a caustic lighting effect on surfaces around the target point:

My range is long enough here that it is reaching all the way to me, so you can see it clearly on the wall to the left. This is with pure white energy in a single slot, I don't have him forma'd so I can't test dual energy.

Apologies for not having better screenshots but I have hundreds and Steam doesn't make it easy to find one where I was casting it. Regardless, on these 2 screenshots you can see when the aoe area is far from the terrain in front of me (1st one) and when it's right on the terrain in front of me (2nd one). It's a very visible light with your Energy colour.

Va42iQn.png

FfWlgDa.png

4 minutes ago, ORDOJESUCHRISTO said:

Apologies for not having better screenshots but I have hundreds and Steam doesn't make it easy to find one where I was casting it. Regardless, on these 2 screenshots you can see when the aoe area is far from the terrain in front of me (1st one) and when it's right on the terrain in front of me (2nd one). It's a very visible light with your Energy colour.

Oh, I was in a flashlight area so I didn't realize that was the ability. That still works as well:

lrj.jpg

I've been messing with energy colors, changed the region from EU to NA to play in some pub missions (average ping was 300-245ms with my wifi) and I don't have the issues you OP are having so I'm not sure what's wrong.

I ended up leaving this energy colors as final because I can see the zone very clear no matter if light or dark environment:

KJImh3d.jpg

WQuOeU2.jpg

2hrek4s.jpg

Also you are right, there is no way to cancel a cast, only using operator. Weird, I was expecting at least to cancel a cast while reloading or using a melee attack or changing weapons.

Edited by Gorgorex
Fixing some typos

32 minutes ago, Gorgorex said:

I've been messing with energy colors, changed the region from EU to NA to play in some pub missions (average ping was 300-245ms with my wifi) and I don't have the issues you OP are having so I'm not sure what's wrong.

I ended up leaving this energy colors as final because I can see the zone very clear no matter if light or dark environment:

KJImh3d.jpg

WQuOeU2.jpg

Also you are right, there is no way to cancel a cast, only using operator. Weird, I was expecting at least to cancel a cast while reloading or using a melee attack or changing weapons.

Those screenshots are from today, really? I've been struggling to get the area to appear. And I have done everything in the client launcher I can, defrag'd on steam, etc. I don't understand how those problems might just be affecting me and, for sure, few others. I have messed with the colours on everything and I can't get it to work.

Like I said, those problems with the Tentacle Swarm not overwritting and having that weird bugged mechanic doesn't happen 100% of the games and I forgot to mention it doesn't happen throughout the whole game, it has its moments.

I'm going to have to download a recording device or something to show you sometime tonight or tomorrow. But like I said, before the update none of this ever happened. I can understand the colours because it's a recent thing but the rest either has to do with the game as a whole or some noodles. I wouldn't make this thread if it wasn't real anyway.

I live alone, I play music from a playlist and I'm not using my phone, so there's nothing pulling internet at irregular times nor have I had any problems with my router or my ISP. On other games I have a very low and stable latency. And even if I didn't have, I have never had those problems before. What's so weird is how it follows a straight line, it's like the mechanic itself of the Tentacle Swarm was changed. It doesn't feel buggy or weird, it just feels like it is supposed to work like that. That's what I find weird.

1 minute ago, ORDOJESUCHRISTO said:

Those screenshots are from today, really? I've been struggling to get the area to appear. And I have done everything in the client launcher I can, defrag'd on steam, etc. I don't understand how those problems might just be affecting me and, for sure, few others. I have messed with the colours on everything and I can't get it to work.

Yep, those are from today. Neither of us are having issues.

5 hours ago, ORDOJESUCHRISTO said:

Like I said, those problems with the Tentacle Swarm not overwritting and having that weird bugged mechanic doesn't happen 100% of the games and I forgot to mention it doesn't happen throughout the whole game, it has its moments.

I'm going to have to download a recording device or something to show you sometime tonight or tomorrow. But like I said, before the update none of this ever happened. I can understand the colours because it's a recent thing but the rest either has to do with the game as a whole or some noodles. I wouldn't make this thread if it wasn't real anyway.

I live alone, I play music from a playlist and I'm not using my phone, so there's nothing pulling internet at irregular times nor have I had any problems with my router or my ISP. On other games I have a very low and stable latency. And even if I didn't have, I have never had those problems before. What's so weird is how it follows a straight line, it's like the mechanic itself of the Tentacle Swarm was changed. It doesn't feel buggy or weird, it just feels like it is supposed to work like that. That's what I find weird.

Yes, my screencaps were taken a couple minutes before posting them, I need to upload them 1st to imgur if i want to post them here. Might you take a screencap of your display ingame options?? I think I have a hunch.

1 hour ago, Gorgorex said:

Yes, my screencaps were taken a couple minutes before posting them, I need to upload them 1st to imgur if i want to post them here. Might you take a screencap of your display ingame options?? I think I have a hunch.

Dynamic lighting doesn't affect it if that is your hunch. I tested that one.

2 hours ago, Gorgorex said:

I actually forgot about this but I haven't touched it since so I didn't put it into account.

cPJI3s3.png

Z3bdjnn.png

15 hours ago, egregiousRac said:

Dynamic lighting doesn't affect it if that is your hunch. I tested that one.

No, my hunch was about the "Effects Intensity" option because at value zero It changes the intensity of special effects of frames, abilities, gunshots etc. making them barely visible.

15 hours ago, ORDOJESUCHRISTO said:

I actually forgot about this but I haven't touched it since so I didn't put it into account.

Let me take screen-caps of mine, I don't run the game on high or ultra, I have a semi-good PC only so I usually play with Medium settings and have no issues, 45-60 fps as a norm.

RvmLfNH.jpg

Y7oJLfg.jpg

lQSbEOJ.jpg

Edited by Gorgorex
Added some screen-caps

10 hours ago, Gorgorex said:

No, my hunch was about the "Effects Intensity" option because at value zero It changes the intensity of special effects of frames, abilities, gunshots etc. making them barely visible.

Let me take screen-caps of mine, I don't run the game on high or ultra, I have a semi-good PC only so I usually play with Medium settings and have no issues, 45-60 fps as a norm.

Still doesn't work.. I don't know. Honestly I'm just gonna play other frames for now, there's really no point. It's the only frame I have this kind of problems on. Maybe next patch changes things.

2 hours ago, ORDOJESUCHRISTO said:

Still doesn't work.. I don't know. Honestly I'm just gonna play other frames for now, there's really no point. It's the only frame I have this kind of problems on. Maybe next patch changes things.

Before taking your break, might you post a screen-cap of your Hydroid P. build?? Thanks in advance.

Also you might summit a ticket to support calling for assistance or referencing this very thread to them.

Edited by Gorgorex
Grammar

2 hours ago, Gorgorex said:

Before taking your break, might you post a screen-cap of your Hydroid P. build?? Thanks in advance.

Also you might summit a ticket to support calling for assistance or referencing this very thread to them.

This is by no means a standard build for "hardcore" players but it's how I have fun. Being useful as hell and not too squishy. You can always go into a puddle anyway. The main reason I use Umbras is so my Curative Undertow augment isn't too weak because that's the only reason I want strength. Primed Continuity + Flow so I can stay in the puddle forever basically. His armour isn't low so you can run a Steel/Umbra Fiber but not in the place of Adaptation in my opinion, I've tested that again and again, Adaptation always got me much better results.

Ultimately I want to get an Umbra forma so I can use Umbra Fiber with Adaptation and occasionally swap Streamline in and out. This build is essentially an all-rounded quality of life for me. Shouldn't have used my Umbra forma on Oberon, it was overkill.

When it comes to the aura, you can go whatever really (as longas they're good auras ofc) but Energy Syphon is, again, convenient. Even though it really shines with low energy cost frames/high efficiency, Hydroid isn't that crazy on costs and it makes a difference. I'd say though, Hydroid is a pretty good frame for an Aura forma. From Physique to Rejuvenation all the way to Power Donation, he's like a Mr. Potato Head and that's what I love about him.

Curative Undertow is not needed at all, hell on most missions you won't even be using it on yourself let alone teammates, especially this build with only 100% range usually your team doesn't want to stand in a little puddle even though the heal even at 170% strength is pretty good if their health pool is decent. But it's still very convenient, it heals your dog too.

qtv0N7F.png

Edited by ORDOJESUCHRISTO
bleh