Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Launcher doesnt warn, resulting in Instant Ban

OsumFrame

Making this thread because of this happening to a friend of mine who accidentally left Cheat Engine open in the background while playing Warframe. So because his account got banned, he can't even leave feedback on this issue as the forum is linked to the warframe account.

After a little bit of googling, it seems that the launcher used to warn that programs like Cheat Engine or others that could be used to alter Warframe were running before allowing you to start the game. It does not seem to do that anymore and I would like to ask why and request that it should have the warning pop up be brought back again, because its really S#&$ty to have your months and years of playtime vanish because of a simple mistake that is so easy to prevent.

Would love if some devs would shine light on this issue.

• Like 1

On the other hand DE probably doesnt want people with bad intents to be able to probe the cheat detection without risk. This is just my own assumption but if that warning was still there you'd have the opportunity to trial and error your way around.

The issue with that is that a cheater can easily just create a new account to get around it or to test a new hack (also I'm not even certain Cheat Engine can be used to hack a game like Warframe that is run server-side but I'm not an expert on this so idk).

A warning would prevent innocent players from being banned instantly over an issue like this. My friend was using CE just for running a mod in Dark Souls 3 and forgot to close it, it was not even hooked to warframe and he didnt try to use it to cheat.

All I'm saying is that they thought a warning was a good idea before, so why did they remove it from the launcher? This seems more like a bug than a feature so I just wanted to bring some attention to it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OsumFrame said:

it was not even hooked to warframe and he didnt try to use it to cheat.

Can you provide evidence of this? Your friend told you they had no intention of cheating, they told you the message wasn’t there. Can you prove any of this actually is true? No one that gets banned for attempting to cheat is going to say “yes, I was planning on cheating”. And claiming a warning isn’t there is a good way to try and shift the blame.

• Your friend can make a new account and prove himself innocent. You don’t have to try.
  • No one here can do anything about the ban. If your friend can prove that it was not justified, DE may be able to help. Note: your friend. Not you.

This is the only place where I can leave feedback on this issue. It says right on their support to page to leave any feedback you might have on this specific forum. So I dont get how you say no one can do anything about it here.

I'm not even trying to get my friend unbanned, he has sent a support ticket on his own and just hasnt received any reply yet.

I'm bringing attention to the issue simply because its a really simple thing that apparently causes a lot of players grief. 

And its a simple fact that the launcher used to warn and now it does not. You can test this out for yourself if you feel like, I dont understand what kind of evidence you would accept for this.

Its just a bug with the launcher that it doesnt do a thing that it used to and I want for it to be fixed to how it was.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Drachnyn said:

On the other hand DE probably doesnt want people with bad intents to be able to probe the cheat detection without risk. This is just my own assumption but if that warning was still there you'd have the opportunity to trial and error your way around.

They don't have to actually detect those with their side, just pops up the messages like "opening game while running apps like cheat engine would activate ban" each time.

Just now, OsumFrame said:

Its just a bug with the launcher that it doesnt do a thing that it used to and I want for it to be fixed to how it was.

If you think it is a bug, why didn’t you post it in the bug section? Proof that it ever did warn would be a start. It was more: This didn’t happen to you, you are just passing on what someone else told you. How can anyone know what you are saying is true?

• Feedback is for feedback, bug reports are for bugs. If your feedback is you want it returned, and you think it’s removal was deliberate, this is the right place. 

I dont use the forums a lot, so I just got to this board because their support page (https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) literally says "Have FEEDBACK about the game? Please click here!". I thought this does qualify as feedback for a change that the developers made, intentionally or unintentionally.

As for proof, I can't literally turn back time to get a screenshot of the warnings. I can only link what I have read from other users and players that it did use to warn the player. I can post a few of those if you really care so much for proof.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Test-995 said:

They don't have to actually detect those with their side, just pops up the messages like "opening game while running apps like cheat engine would activate ban" each time.

So basically annoy the vast majority of the player base with another pop-up before they can get into the game, just so that a few people aren't caught accidentally?
I really don't see that as being a good trade off.

5 hours ago, Drachnyn said:

Exactly.
With that little bit of info you could mess with the PID and PName, and SID among other parameters of the tools until you came up with something DE couldn't detect.  And it would be done a hek of a lot faster than having to create dozens upon dozens of accounts to test it with.

• Like 1

i dont think the pop up would be an issue for the vast majority because from what I gathered from older forum posts about this topic, the amount of players that actually know about what cheat engine actually is very low, and the amount that use it even lower. But that doesnt mean that just because the players who do use it are a minority and that they should be so harshly punished for an honest mistake.

Also the pop-up would only happen if Cheat Engine was running along the same time as the launcher. Again would not inconvenience the entire playerbase. It would only inconvenience the people who would be grateful for the message because it saves them from being banned! So I really do not understand how you call that a trade-off.

Also I'm pretty sure hackers can already do that, the way the system is right now only massively punishes the honest players who slipped up while the actually malicious hackers wouldn't have been caught by just a simple check for whether cheat engine is running.

Edited by OsumFrame

1 hour ago, Tsukinoki said:

So basically annoy the vast majority of the player base with another pop-up before they can get into the game, just so that a few people aren't caught accidentally?

Exactly.
With that little bit of info you could mess with the PID and PName, and SID among other parameters of the tools until you came up with something DE couldn't detect.  And it would be done a hek of a lot faster than having to create dozens upon dozens of accounts to test it with.

Okay, make it toggle option, and make it off for default.

7 hours ago, krc473 said:

Can you provide evidence of this? Your friend told you they had no intention of cheating, they told you the message wasn’t there. Can you prove any of this actually is true? No one that gets banned for attempting to cheat is going to say “yes, I was planning on cheating”. And claiming a warning isn’t there is a good way to try and shift the blame.

• Your friend can make a new account and prove himself innocent. You don’t have to try.
  • No one here can do anything about the ban. If your friend can prove that it was not justified, DE may be able to help. Note: your friend. Not you.

innocent until proven guilty 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Drachnyn said:

I mean, detecting such repeated attempts sounds pretty trivial...

2 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

More to the point, it wouldn't even work. Like any other confirmation pop-up, it would get closed without even being read.

Edited by SordidDreams

I've recently had Cheat Engine running in the background for days, if not weeks, without anything happening. It didn't even occur to me that this might be problem. Banning an account without warning for just having it in the background seems a bit over the top, so I still find it hard to believe they would (still) do this. But just to be safe I'll make sure to kill it before starting Warframe from now on.

5 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite Prime said:

innocent until proven guilty 

no, you are confusing a private company with the US justice system. It can be easy to make that mistake though.

I feel like the response to this started off hostile and it just continued that way because it was the direction it was going in. He's not necessarily being nefarious, it's not like it was a chat ban where there's a good chance what was done was bigoted and that's what got the ban, it's within the realm of possibility that this was actually the case, and also that he doesn't regularly use the forums and got confused.

Especially since the forums are confusing anyway.

Also, I heard someone in the past say they couldn't even make a new character after getting banned, but I'm not sure. So he may have, in fact, been the only resource his friend had for this.

• Like 1

This is why I make sure I don't have it open when I run Warframe. But nobody is perfect were all humans and tend to forget. 

Heres the deal though cheat engine should not result in an instant ban unless you used it to connect to the launcher. I myself was playing Tales of Zestria and I had CE opened and linked to Tales of Zestria when my friend texted me through steam to come on Warframe for new content. Then I closed Tales of Zestria and started Warframe which I regretfully forgot to close cheat engine but I didn't receive a ban which is lucky for me. Since that day I always ensure CE is never open when i start Warframe don't want to risk my warframe account

Cheat Engine by itself most games don't even acknowledge it unless you connect it to the game in question while very few games will detect its running and ask you to close it before running the game. So what I'm trying to say is are you sure hes/shes giving the full story here? 

Even if it did connect to Warframe it cant edit the files because all player information is server side.

On 2019-06-09 at 3:52 PM, SpicyDinosaur said:

no, you are confusing a private company with the US justice system. It can be easy to make that mistake though.

I feel like the response to this started off hostile and it just continued that way because it was the direction it was going in. He's not necessarily being nefarious, it's not like it was a chat ban where there's a good chance what was done was bigoted and that's what got the ban, it's within the realm of possibility that this was actually the case, and also that he doesn't regularly use the forums and got confused.

Especially since the forums are confusing anyway.

Also, I heard someone in the past say they couldn't even make a new character after getting banned, but I'm not sure. So he may have, in fact, been the only resource his friend had for this.

Not so much an issue of Justice, just a common courtesy that is easily affordable should you care to give it. Don't be so quick to jump the gun. Your point stands, and I also remember reading much the same, but I believe you were only banned by IP if there was a bigger issue, not that cheating wouldn't be.

• Like 1