Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Support Frame Idea

Tamanegi.

I'll start by saying that in most online games i've played, I generally do enjoy support classes like debuff/buff classes and healers, but i'm trying not to be biased. I enjoy playing Support in Warframe as I do in most other online games, but the department seems to be a bit lacking. There's Trinity, a healer support and somewhat buff support, and a few frames come with supportive abilities such as Mag's Bullet Attractor, Banshee's Sonar, etc.

What I personally would love to see (and I hope i'm not the only one) is a combat support focused frame. No, not like Nekros; while i've seen him played and he looks interesting, I mean a frame that directly benefits their team instead of providing an extra gun or two in a fire-fight with pets. I mean a frame that specializes in debuffing enemies just as much as they buff allies, which would make it a great frame to do higher-end content with and allow it to remain relevant later on (I see several frames in only certain level brackets). Support is one of the most flexible roles out there, and it's one role that Warframe hasn't covered very broadly yet unlike crowd controllers and nukers. I feel like it would be very popular with people who like to play with friends instead of solo a lot. Even then, the Frame idea we came up with would also be viable for soloing content. It wouldn't be the type of support to ''hang back and watch it happen'', it would be more in the thick of things to provide the most benefit.

My idea for a frame like this, to use an example, would be one I discussed with a friend that would involve using nano-technology to give advantages to the team and put enemies at a disadvantage.

Ability 1, Repurpose: An ability that works somewhat like Nekros' Desecrate, only instead of health and whatnot it could be explained as the frame breaking down the base metals in an enemy's weaponry and cybernetics and re-forming them into various types of ammunition using nano-tech. As it stands, I and many others I play with are constantly running dry on ammo, especially in the Void.

Ability 2, Firestorm: An ability that would increase the fire rate and weapon damage of the team for a brief period. Pretty simple, just a flat buff. In-game, could be explained as the Frame using small clouds of nano-tech to streamline interior workings of their allies' weaponry, causing them to fire with higher velocity and speeding up ammo feed systems. It wouldn't last terribly long, but enough to give your team an edge in a large fight.

Ability 3, Shredder Mines: Ability 3 would involve the Frame crouching down then leaping into the air to release a spray of ''Shredder Mines''. While they would deal decent damage and not be anything to write home about, their main use would be to shred away a flat percentage of armor per level of the ability off of any enemies caught in the blast. This would soften up tougher enemies like heavy units and bosses, making it easier for the team to hose them down with weaponry and allowing them to clear large crowds of enemies at a faster rate.

Ability 4, Carpet Bomb : Ability 4 would deal a lot less flat damage than other Frame ultimates. The Frame would release a construct about the size of a Grineer Roller that launches into the air and opens up, venting explosives across a wide area that explode on impact with the first surface they touch, enemy or solid object. These explosives would basically be modified shredder mines from ability 3, keeping that quality but sacrificing their firepower for a crippling debuff. In addition to shredding away armor, they would slow affected enemies much like frost damage does, making enemies take more damage and making them more vulnerable to being caught inside of existing or near future damage.

Support is usually tossed into the same group where they hang back and watch most of the action, maybe healing or something like a Trinity, while this Combat Support style frame would be right in the center buffing his team and debuffing enemies. The downfall would be raw damage, but it would have buffs and debuffs to make the team operating with it better at what they do.

Overall nothing here is really concrete, it's just an example of a support style I think would be really awesome that a lot of games don't delve into. Anyone else like the idea of a combat support frame?

Edited by TheGoobus

Makes sense, I didn't think of that. Maybe instead make it a flat small ammo resupply or something similar. Either way though, I think it'd be a fun alternative to what a lot of games consider a concrete support-style class, since there's both healing style support and combat style support.

Edited by TheGoobus

I would use the S#&$ out of that. I like using my guns more than using abilities, and a frame that caters to that would be great. I'm not sure about having 3 and 4 be basically the same thing. Maybe have one deploy a turret. The turret would be more for support than damage; low damage but a cc effect (like a lightning gun that slows/staggers enemies, with built in pierce which scales up with the ability level).

Yeah, I thought about a turret too. The original thought was something like an Osprey all decked out for fire support, but I figured a Sentinel would be way too close to that already. Plus it's a very mobile game, it'd be great for defense or survival missions, but the trick would be to somehow make the turret mobile and it would totally work. I use guns more than abilities also, so the basis of this idea came from bolstering the entire team's abilities to do damage with firearms more-so than spamming powers. I feel like a lot of people spam powers because ammo for your specific weapon type doesn't always drop as frequently as you need it to, and Repurpose would cater specifically to that. 4 is the tricky part though. With a frame that focuses around buffing, debuffing, and combat support using nano-tech there's a lot of options. 

Problem 1 with that though is covering something another frame already doesn't, and 2 is actually making it work. I'm sitting here still right now thinking of a perfect fit for the 4. Needless to say i'd main this frame hands down and get rid of my trinity in a heartbeat.

EDIT: 

Thinking more on the turret idea, maybe the construct in ability 4, AKA the ultimate, lands after venting the explosives and folds out into a small turret that fires low-damage rounds that slows and staggers enemies like 00zau mentioned? I liked that idea of the turret having low damage but good debuffing abilities; it would actually give this Frame a bit of crowd control too. The tricky part would be scripting its AI to take priority on non-debuffed enemies over focusing on trying to kill a single enemy though. The ultimate is the trickiest one to figure out for this potential Frame in particular.

Edited by TheGoobus

Maybe to help keep the game mobile, you can go up to the turret and hit the action key (x) to undeploy it and get energy back based on the deploy time remaining (maybe % remaining times 50)? So you deploy it, but even if you call if back instantly, you only get 50 energy, and if you call it back after 30 seconds, you get 25 back.

Another option to make if mobile, but not too similar to a sentinal, would be to put it on treads. One thought is it could have a big shield in front so we can pretend we're grineer and hide behind mobile cover (the AI would have to be set to move at crouch speed towards enemies until near melee range).

Giving the turret a bunch of puncture would ease the AI and make it a better CC weapon; it'll just hit more things. Basically, it'd act like a gun with Shred + Cryo, which is pretty good CC as is. Maybe give it a really wide shot cone so that the AI doesn't have to walk the fire any.

Sorta reminds me of Borderlands 2 with the Commando's Turret. Not entirely a bad thing. It'd be pretty tricky to pull off mainly because of having to script the movement pathing and AI, but I think it could work. There's just a ton of options for what his ult could be, which is part of what would make a frame like this so awesome because the role's so flexible. Puncture with with Cryo alone would be a pretty potent combo, but combining it with Shred would be just plain awesome.