Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PBR, Bones or cloth? Texture & physics questions

Hey kids, I've been playing with 3D stuff mostly in Blender for a while, and I have a few things I need to know as I try and move forward with making this Syandana I've been working on.

First off, I have watched videos and practiced with Blender 2.79 and 2.8 EVEE render engines with the default Excalibur for setting up the PBR textures in the right order. However, I just can't seem to figure out what strengths are accurate to how things are shown in game? 

This example here is the closest I have gotten so far (sans tint masking because man I sure have not got that figured out either.) 

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_psucm7PGKs1rxpyj7_1280.jpg

You can see here, that for some reason his back looks SUPER shiny?? 

tumblr_inline_psucnqRVqn1rxpyj7_1280.jpg

and it might just be the lack of tint masking but this seems really off as well. I would absolutely LOVE to know how other people hook up tint mask for default character models like this, to show off syandanas and such.

Here are the node trees for the helmet which you can see from above looks quite different from the body.

tumblr_inline_psucm9hwbY1rxpyj7_1280.jpg

and the body 

tumblr_inline_psucm8hoRb1rxpyj7_1280.jpg

Have I just got the displacement levels wrong? Please let me know what I should be doing differently here. 

Next question: For those who know or have worked on this before, syandanas with flowy parts or cloth-like parts. Are these rigged in game with bones or are they using cloth physics? For example, the Deru Syandana has a pretty good flow to it like feathers on the energy part, and a non moving base. Would the energy part be cloth physics rendered in the game or how does that work? I'd really like to know because my design has both inflexible objects, semi flexible and soft "emission" parts. Nothing I've looked at so far has been helpful on this. 

Lastly, I'm not sure about anyone else but I would love if someone at DE could also put up some HDRIs for tennogen creators, to allow them to show off better how the objects they've designed will look with actual in game style lighting. Something like an orbiter and dojo & maybe one corpus and one grineer tileset kind of thing. Just feel like that would be really helpful for both artist and consumers. 

In advance, thank you for helping and looking at the thread. I feel like a lot of people are gonna really like this syandana I'm working on & I know I sure as heck want it. 

What's "file5"? I'd say that's probably the issue, as the roughness texture is being used - meaning the proper roughness is there, but there's just a layer of shine, implying there's too much specular. Another possibility is colour space? Make sure it's Non-Colour. I notice in your helmet material you're using a flat value for the roughness - the _r texture should be placed into the roughness field. The Warframes can be quite shiny in-game normally, as well - the most noticable instance of this is the Dojo, which I'm still not sure if it's a bug or not.

Personally, for tint masks, as it doesn't import correctly into Blender, I use GIMP to decompose the tintmask image and use multiply mix nodes to apply the colour (using some multiplies on the textures to mask all the layers).

8 minutes ago, iLightning13 said:

What's "file5"? I'd say that's probably the issue, as the roughness texture is being used - meaning the proper roughness is there, but there's just a layer of shine, implying there's too much specular. Another possibility is colour space? Make sure it's Non-Colour. I notice in your helmet material you're using a flat value for the roughness - the _r texture should be placed into the roughness field. The Warframes can be quite shiny in-game normally, as well - the most noticable instance of this is the Dojo, which I'm still not sure if it's a bug or not.

Personally, for tint masks, as it doesn't import correctly into Blender, I use GIMP to decompose the tintmask image and use multiply mix nodes to apply the colour (using some multiplies on the textures to mask all the layers).

File 5 is apparently a mystery I tried to go find where it came from and I can't find it??? I tested it on and off here: 

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_psuekwJNNc1rxpyj7_1280.jpg

You can see the mysterious file 5 up there, and  under here, I turned off the file 5 from the specular....

tumblr_inline_psuel3bu721rxpyj7_1280.jpg

and here I moved the PBR S to the Specular from the Metallic slot. 

tumblr_inline_psuerhBLoM1rxpyj7_1280.jpg

No idea which one of these is right.

However thank you for the tip about the tint mask! 

If you haven't done it already, I compiled my method for tintmasking in Blender into a nodegroup. Fiddle around with the blending method as you like (I'm not 100% convinced how accurate Multiply is, but it's quite good at getting colour into it), you can always tweak your default colours in the TennoGen Viewer app before submitting so you can be sure you're happy with it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f1ILXitR-utxus0fXv9nfkYV4dFHzUbD

Here's my node setup for items:

7fmnRCq.png

6m3FhGk.png

I had a look at Excalibur and I was quite perplexed - probably because of my choice of HDR. From a look at the _s texture, it's not solidly black or solidly white, so I'd say it's a specular texture and needs to go in the specular slot. So your bottom configuration would be correct.

• Like 1