Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe EMPYREAN - E3 Reveal-Teaser

Fabpsi

3 hours ago, S.Dust said:

If it's accessable to newish players that already says enough about the mode it will be easy and have rewards that are worthless to later players unless they add something that like super power creep like the modular weapons.

Also if it comes out before the end of the summer I will be pleasantly surprised.

If you say so.  DE Steve has mentioned a couple of times though that since Empyrean is a totally new mode, he's planning to use it as a test bed to address the problems with the current game's leveling and scaling mechanics.  IE, Railjack enemies might NOT have endless health and armor scaling that results in nigh-invulnerability, and Railjack weapons will NOT have stacking damage bonuses and Critical Hit Chance and status procs that result in some weapons doing "reasonable" damage while others can do hundreds of thousands of damage in a single attack.  It sounds like the idea is to make it so there isn't such a spectacular gap between "new" and "fully loaded" players in that mode, and to flatten out the enemy curve so that it doesn't hit "Are you freaking kidding me?" levels like most enemies do in the rest of the game.

There's also the fact that Empyrean is likely to reward mostly things that benefit Empyrean, and won't contribute to general power creep.  Having an awesome Railjack Interceptor with fully upgraded Cephalon auto-gunners and fully modded weapons (whatever form that ends up taking) probably won't help you roflstomp Eidolons.  At least not in the same way that roflstomping Eidolons and getting fully upgraded amps and Magus Arcanes allows you to largely chump a lot of the normal ground enemies.

• Like 1

I'm honestly not excited for Empyrean/Railjack at all. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but enh. I'm not feeling it. It just feels like an extra layer of spaceship combat gameplay that doesn't even look particularly exciting. 

And this is coming from someone who's been mostly happy and satisfied with everything DE released in 2019 so far. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)wintersfrozen said:

always right after I build a prime they release the prime... *sigh* awful timing is awful.

Can I convince you to find a way to build a Titania Prime anytime soon?  I'd like to take advantage of your apparent curse.  🙂

8 hours ago, EmberStar said:

If you say so.  DE Steve has mentioned a couple of times though that since Empyrean is a totally new mode, he's planning to use it as a test bed to address the problems with the current game's leveling and scaling mechanics.  IE, Railjack enemies might NOT have endless health and armor scaling that results in nigh-invulnerability, and Railjack weapons will NOT have stacking damage bonuses and Critical Hit Chance and status procs that result in some weapons doing "reasonable" damage while others can do hundreds of thousands of damage in a single attack.  It sounds like the idea is to make it so there isn't such a spectacular gap between "new" and "fully loaded" players in that mode, and to flatten out the enemy curve so that it doesn't hit "Are you freaking kidding me?" levels like most enemies do in the rest of the game.

There's also the fact that Empyrean is likely to reward mostly things that benefit Empyrean, and won't contribute to general power creep.  Having an awesome Railjack Interceptor with fully upgraded Cephalon auto-gunners and fully modded weapons (whatever form that ends up taking) probably won't help you roflstomp Eidolons.  At least not in the same way that roflstomping Eidolons and getting fully upgraded amps and Magus Arcanes allows you to largely chump a lot of the normal ground enemies.

Only rewarding things that contribute to that mode is still its own problem. It's why most of the plains and orbvallis resources suck you get them and they only help you in that are so its like if I never touched this how much am I really missing.

Also sure DE can mention stuff all they want but if they have a history of not getting stuff done in a timely manner or at all so again I will continue to be pessimistic. 

Also to flatten out the gap between new and loaded players is the same as making it so nothing has meaning that we do. If nothing we've built up matters then why did we build it up. Sorry to say they really can only  do this one of two ways IMO they can make it connect the whole game rather than loading screens some how or they can make it difficult and tell new players to suck it up and actually play the game if they wanna experience it and make it difficult.

Edited by S.Dust

46 minutes ago, Knight_Ex said:

My response to that whole trailer,  "Was that it....?"   Thats supposed to be our endgame? ....whut?

It's a new mission system. It's not replacing the Orbiter retroactively, but if it goes down well (and, IIRC, this is basically what Steve and other longtime devs were hoping to make Warframe from Day 1, so they'll be trying their damndest to do so) it will most likely be the system used for most future content.

In other words, this isn't endgame in and of itself. Endgame will most likely use this system, but the system itself is not endgame.

(bit where Steve talks about Railjack being part of the original vision for Warframe from Tennolive 2018)

Spoiler

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Did you not watch Dev Stream 218?

They showed part of a Sentient map / tileset during that stream. Looked pretty cool.

In any case you should know schedules are subject to change, depending on how much progress is made. As far as I've been aware, development of Railjack has always been way ahead of the New War.

Wow, they showed a small part of the start of the map, that sure was worth the 1 year wait.

15 minutes ago, zuraith said:

Hah, I never realized "Digital Purchases" was a content descriptor for ESRB ratings.

It wasn't until recently. It was the online ratings boards attempt to placate the people calling for regulation of things like lootboxes.

Needless to say, it didn't work, because "Digital purchases" is such a generic tag it can be applied to almost every major game from the last 15 years.

13 hours ago, Knight_Ex said:

My response to that whole trailer,  "Was that it....?"   Thats supposed to be our endgame? ....whut?

I must have missed something.  When did anyone say that Railjack / Empyrean was going to be anything like Endgame?  It must have happened sometime after the demo last year, where each othe gunner players was easily stomping half of the incoming fighters while Mag played cyber hacker and a single Excalibur boarded the enemy ship.

11 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

I must have missed something.  When did anyone say that Railjack / Empyrean was going to be anything like Endgame?

No one said anything about it being Endgame.

But everything new those days have to "be endgame" for some reason

12 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

It must have happened sometime after the demo last year, where each othe gunner players was easily stomping half of the incoming fighters while Mag played cyber hacker and a single Excalibur boarded the enemy ship.

And remember that it was easily stomping them because of Devbuild magic.

AKA Godmode..

23 hours ago, EmberStar said:

They sort of did this already, though, quite a few years ago! That's already how Archwing worked. And still sort of does, too! But because it was so isolated from normal game systems they seemed to either get terrible or unusable data from it... Or people just hated and complained about it so much that DE didn't want to try and translate anything over. A lot was mishandled, honestly, which is a shame because archwing mods and enemy scaling DID feel significantly better balanced than the main game. This sounds like it's going to attempt to be even MORE divorced from regular mechanics, so I'm not sure we should actually expect DE to get anything actionable out of this.

Especially since the old tweet in question seems to indicate that Steve somehow thinks the reason for absurd scaling is letting the same attribute mods stack, when the actual problem of the game's exponential scaling absurdity is how all of the different stats multiply off of each other. That's kind of the biggest red flag statement, to me, along with his example being elemental mods as something that never should have "stacked" despite there deliberately being combined elements clearly intended to have come from using multiple elemental mods. Same-stat stacking getting out of hand could have been a design issue for warframe power mods, though!

Edited by OvisCaedo