Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game Ending Lightning Trap

Llyssa

Was visiting the derelict, extermination mission.

There's this electrical trap... and it insta-kills you... there's a tunnel that's apparently full of them, and there's no clear indication of where they start and end, and where they can hit, save "inside this tunnel".

The timing is something of guesswork, and as you go to observation mode once you perish, you cannot safely revive without it hitting you. You also cannot be revived by others, as anyone who attempts to will also be insta-killed. If you DO manage to revive without dying, you have a split second to get out of the way, and no clear indication of which way you're facing inside this tunnel, at least, not that can be made as rapidly as this demands.

You cannot in any real sense crawl out of the range of this while in downed status.

This is, for all intents and purposes, automatic level failure if you botch the timing.

That seems a *tad* harsh.

There should be some kind of escape/do-over/way out. As is, the only option is demanding the remaining player(s) rush to extraction. That's hardly fair to you, or them.

I can appreciate deadly traps, but I don't think this particular brand actually enhances game play.

i was walking and went into a tunnel (this was my first run, solo too) and i died and insta failed. i thought the game glitched out or something. from what i remember there was no way to tell anything about the room at all. i just wanted to see the nice looking level design at the other end. but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i had to die.

There are specific "rings" in the tunnel that are the actual traps, stay out of them, wait for the trap to go off then run through it and wait by the next one. Rinse and repeat, simple as that. The trap got me once, and after 20ish missions that included that trap I've yet to be downed/killed by it since.

I too fell foul of this particular trap the first time I played in the Derelict, and because of how difficult it is to judge where the beams are I never go through them any more (there's no reason to anyway, since there's an alternative path from the waterway in the same room).

The solution seems obvious - when you revive, have the game place you back at the alst safe spot you were in - there is a similar system for when you fall into a pit and are respawned, so it should be relatively simple to execute. You would hope.

i found this trap, and i said challenge accepted :)

then, i got to the end, and died. ~half a second later, THEN the electrical effect appeared near the end.

so i went through fine on my client end, then ping and the game fought, and the game decided i wasn't where i was on my client end.

traps and other things like this can't work if ping is going to get us killed 100% of the time.

(that being said, i noticed afterwards there's sewers that you can use to go between the areas instead, which are perfectly safe :p)

Edited by taiiat

The first time I got caught in it, I made the assumption that only the "rings" were electric, not the "drums". Got fried by a bolt from the drums. Only safe spots I've found are in the two ends of the tunnel, and wherever there's an opening out into the main room. Every closed portion of the tunnel in between seems to be death.