Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will we have a chance to get tennogen on PC without using steam someday?

For PC tenno, it's not a secret that tennogen is the place where the creators get some money from people who buy their skin, and sort of exclusive on Steam that cost real money

The problem is : I like to be pretty and I'm cheap as f*ck

That being said, I don't want to spend money on steam just for a skin and I rather trade platinum for that so is there a good reason to me why those skin is not available to purchase with platinum without using steam? Because they can calculate the price in platinum and split it as usual, or 50/50 for the creator and DE either as platinum or real money (we had some of these during the first days of tennogen)

Am I the only one here?

• Like 1

No, but it's not likely to happen coz when you earn platinum in-game and purchase a Tennogen with it, DE don't get any profit from you and at the same time they have to pay creators for you. No sound merchant would do that.

At the same time I want to remove Tennogen from my market completely without removing steam coz I buy only plat items.

Edited by Marvelous_A

1 minute ago, Marvelous_A said:

No, but it's not likely to happen coz when you earn platinum in-game and purchase a Tennogen with it, DE don't get any profit from you and at the same time they have to pay creators for you. No sound merchant would do that.

That's not exactly correct, from my understanding on how the plat economy works in Warframe.

The plat that someone is spending was always bought by someone with real money.

There is no way to "generate" plat in game. It always comes from real money sales, or special giveaways by DE themselves.

This is to say that, in theory, they could in fact compensate Tennogen creators just by calculating the plat value.

7 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

DE does make profit from it either way. Platinum is purchased, whether by your or who you traded from. The reason why Tennogen is run through Steam is because something like 30% of earning go directly to the creators. On console, Tennogen items are bought through platinum, but DE gives the creators an estimated amount to subsidise for that lack of actual money being spent.

9 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

At the same time I want to remove Tennogen from my market completely without removing steam coz I buy only plat items.

But a lot of people (including me) do. Why would you take away the place you get the best, community-made skins? I believe some people actually make a living off it. Imagine hundreds or thousands of people buying your skins and getting a 30% cut.

• Like 1

It's not entirely the fact.

Someone buy plat, then 3 things might happen:

>Spend in market, DE get everything back

>Given to another player, DE gain or lose nothing here, it will eventually be spent on market until DE get everything back

>Spend on Tennogen, although DE does retrieve something they have to pay creators' share of money, they are getting reduced revenue as the result.

From DE's PoV allowing plat Tennogen on PC it makes players' life easier and gives them less incentive to spend real money on it. Especially when making plat is easier than ever now since introduction of rivens. The same actual reason explains why Auction Hall is not gonna be a thing in this game.

Plat Tennogen exists on consoles but consoles are the minority here and plat on console ain't as cheap as in PC (I believe the market price of the same item on console is just 1/3 the price on PC). Coz they don't pay less to get more plat just pay the same money for discounted item in DE's market when they get a plat discount.

Edited by Marvelous_A

If it were ever to happen, the items would cost 400+ platinum for an item that sells for 5.  Best deal is 4300plat/$200 - which will reduce via coupons to 4300/$50.  So if you get the best deal possible - which players who buy plat often do - $1 gets you 86 plat.   86*5=430, so for DE to guarantee they'll have gotten enough for that plat to pay the creators, it's never going to be less then that for a $5 tennogen item.

You'd have some other caveats - free plat (starters & giveaways) would need to be unusable.

And that's assuming it's even possible - may not be, Tennogen is a part of Steam, and DE may be contractually prohibited from selling any other way, since Valve provide the platform for it.

1 hour ago, 844448 said:

Because they can calculate the price in platinum 

That would require some laws of reality defying math given the price of platinum on PC is completely fluid.

An estimate, maybe, but an accurate and usable price? No.

• Like 2

On 2019-06-13 at 12:51 PM, DeMonkey said:

That would require some laws of reality defying math given the price of platinum on PC is completely fluid.

An estimate, maybe, but an accurate and usable price? No.

With a super simple, nearly brainless calculation from the price of platinum where $5 is 75 platinum (correct me if I'm wrong), that's 15 platinum per dollar and if the cosmetics cost $5 each, it would be 75 platinum, 105 for $7 so 110-120 platinum would mean something

Unless I'm missing a lot here

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 844448 said:

With a super simple, nearly brainless calculation from the price of platinum where $5 is 75 platinum (correct me if I'm wrong), that's 15 platinum per dollar and if the cosmetics cost $5 each, it would be 75 platinum, 105 for $7 so 110-120 platinum would mean something

Unless I'm missing a lot here

pc gets plat coupons of up to 75% at random so the price of plat actually is a big #*!%all mess on pc i imagine.

On 2019-06-13 at 12:12 AM, Marvelous_A said:

They do, they get the profit from whoever initially bought the platinum as the currency is acquired with real world money, just because you didn't directly spend on it does not negate the spending for it to exist. Platinum and real world dollars are no different to DE once spent, they both provide the revenue stream they desire. It doesn't matter to them if you spend 5 dollars of your personal wealth on their game, or 5 dollars of someone else's wealth, they still got the 5 dollars which is what matters to them in regards to market transactions.

I think on top of the fluid platinum price the biggest ptoblem is Valve. I think Steam will not let go of that revenue easily. 

On top of that i think the creators sign some sort of legal agreement that woukd have to be voided somehow, and that might prove a bit difficult. 

On 2019-06-13 at 4:56 AM, 844448 said:

That being said, I don't want to spend money on steam just for a skin and I rather trade platinum for that so is there a good reason to me why those skin is not available to purchase with platinum without using steam?

Yes, DE signed a contract with Steam. that contract gives them them Steams mechanisms for accepting, paying for and licencing Tennogen but requires that DE use their payment method as all licencing is through them on the PC platform. Tennogen wouldn't exist without this contract

DE have explicitly stated that this will not change

Edited by SilentMobius

2 hours ago, 844448 said:

With a super simple, nearly brainless calculation

It shows.

As mentioned already we get coupons, there's also the additional bonus platinum you get for purchasing larger tier packs. There is no set price.