Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Spin2Win is hated so much?

breakdafunk

On 2019-06-19 at 11:02 AM, Test-995 said:

Game is always meant to be played in maximum efficiency, look at all those ~5% drop chances, look at those affinities for levelling, and how many times you have to level things, think about why gear power isn't restricted to mission level range, why OP players will be rewarded too in fast low-level content.

And for someone want to play their own way, this game has clan, recruit, and solo mode.

Exactly.  Heck, the game even has a mode (sanctuary onslaught) that is designed around nothing but efficiency... To the point the NPC throw at you too be more efficient.  

These are called loot and Grind games for a reason and, in today's society of 24 hour access to everything, on demand everything, and instant gratification everything, as well as the economy workplace constantly consumed with how to do things more efficiently, the simple reality is that in pick up groups you will experience a realistic sample of the population,action and that population is massively skewed towards trying to do things as quickly as possible with as little wasted TIME and effort as possible.  

DE is responsible to find balance....not just Nerf or buff to appease the squeaky wheel of the month or to satisfy profits (although this IS legitimate to a degree).  

DE needs to be careful here.  If they melt down maiming strike in 3.0, they displace and offput a section of their fanbase that probably doesn't want to play a game where things come to a slower and less efficient pace.  In these people's minds, it's like "ok, you nerfed MY personal efficiency and fun...but the rifle and spores a d nukes guys still get theirs....no thanks.". And these people represent money in the form of support via platinum.  It takes hours of gameplay and plat and real world money to get these high efficiency mods and rivens and statuses.  You take that away and you are left with a dying game.

I agree with what someone above said about how most games are built these days in a way that take away the "journey" of playing the game.  It's all about end results instead of the experience.  But that is exactly what most of us expect and exactly how DE condones the game.  Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to bring a maxed out one shot weapon. Which has been forma'd 5 times to a level 3 exterminate mission.  It's being encouraged.  

For now (near future), the s2w community gets the Nerfbat.  But when they scream, who is next?   And then it changes again because the game either dies or reverts to what people actually want.  DE isn't

T there yet.  Not by a country mile.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, (PS4)Glitschig said:

If you are not the one having to do the crouching....and aiming g....and attacking...then what do you care?  I mean, the s2w'ers probably appreciate your concern for them but at the end of the day, they are not going out of the way to say "I sure hate those pistol and rifle people.  It's a shame they have to aim and pull their trigger for hours on end.". Let people play and have fun.  If they tire of it, they will stop.  

Because spinning to win is also bad for everyone else when it's this strong: if you're using guns and regular melee attacks to fight enemies, you're not going to have many enemies left to fight after one of your teammates' gone whizzing through with their slide-attacking room blender, in very much the same way as many players get annoyed when another can just turn on their kill-everyone-all-the-time ability and turn the mission into a walking simulator. It would be okay if spinning to win took enough time for others to also be able to have their fun, but as it stands the current implementation is so ridiculously strong that it overtakes many other forms of combat by a long shot: not only does this push people to go for the strat when they don't enjoy it, for the sake of efficiency, it just makes the game less interesting for everyone else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Teridax68 said:

Because spinning to win is also bad for everyone else when it's this strong: if you're using guns and regular melee attacks to fight enemies, you're not going to have many enemies left to fight after one of your teammates' gone whizzing through with their slide-attacking room blender, in very much the same way as many players get annoyed when another can just turn on their kill-everyone-all-the-time ability and turn the mission into a walking simulator. It would be okay if spinning to win took enough time for others to also be able to have their fun, but as it stands the current implementation is so ridiculously strong that it overtakes many other forms of combat by a long shot: not only does this push people to go for the strat when they don't enjoy it, for the sake of efficiency, it just makes the game less interesting for everyone else.

And pretty much everything is balanced around "ridiculously strong and fast" way to blaze through missions, so i hope they gonna make a change for rewards first.

Le 19/06/2019 à 12:53, ShadowStalker a dit :

For me and a lot of other people spin2win/Aoe Nukes/Instant Kills  and completing missions fast is fun and its really selfish when someone wants to drag out a 5 min extermination mission into an hour long mission just because they want to play in slow motion with really inefficient  weapons/frames/methods 

Nukers and spin-2-winners can play solo too. Warframe is a coop game first, the "me first" argument is irrelevant at best, if you know what coop means of course.

Edited by 000l000
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 000l000 said:

Nukers and spin-2-winners can play solo too. Warframe is a coop game first, the "me first" argument is irrelevant at best, if you know what coop means of course.

The place where the chickens and/or pigeons are kept? 😉

1 hour ago, 000l000 said:

Honestly, if they balance things for so called "coop", then i would complain about missions are too hard, and be like "this breeds toxicity for communities".

• Like 2

They mad cuz they can't keep up.

Sadly very few weapons feel strong enough to use for mashing e or doing combos. I'd lie if i said that i find the spinning meta any healthy gameplay but i'd also be lying if i said that melee would be better without it...UNLESS melee 3.0 makes things worth to use and balances stuff accordingly so that people not only use the same 4 - 6 melee types.

Il y a 2 heures, Test-995 a dit :

Honestly, if they balance things for so called "coop", then i would complain about missions are too hard, and be like "this breeds toxicity for communities".

I'm not spamming macros nor playing as a braindead spin-2-win and can still play most content solo if i want to. This entire topic has nothing to do with difficulty, it's only poor excuses to play Warframe as if it was a job or anything. People who don't want to wait for other players cause they're wasting a few seconds have more issues than game's difficulty - and they're looking for poor excuses too.

Edited by 000l000
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Test-995 said:

And pretty much everything is balanced around "ridiculously strong and fast" way to blaze through missions, so i hope they gonna make a change for rewards first.

I can agree, but then "ridiculously strong and fast" need not be quite so ridiculously strong and fast as it is now. Changing rewards might perhaps encourage some other strategies, but the fundamental problem would remain that slide attacks, regardless of rewards, would almost certainly be far superior to just normal attacks due to the broken interaction between Maiming Strike and Blood Rush: thus, even if we are indeed balancing around optimal clear speeds, there is still room to set the bar of optimal clearing around a slightly slower baseline, one that doesn't revolve around the player one-shotting every high-level enemy they run into. Simply running around and shooting enemies should never feel substandard, and the only effects to surpass this should be restrained to specific frames, with specific conditions to achieve superior performance.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 000l000 said:

I'm not spamming macros nor playing as a braindead spin-2-win and can still play most content solo if i want to. This entire topic has nothing to do with difficulty, it's only poor excuses to play Warframe as if it was a job or anything. People who don't want to wait for other players cause they're wasting a few seconds have more issues than game's difficulty - and they're looking for poor excuses too.

If people can do it solo, then others would complain about one people doing everything because they don't need help and fast enough to ignore rest of squad.

6 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

I can agree, but then "ridiculously strong and fast" need not be quite so ridiculously strong and fast as it is now. Changing rewards might perhaps encourage some other strategies, but the fundamental problem would remain that slide attacks, regardless of rewards, would almost certainly be far superior to just normal attacks due to the broken interaction between Maiming Strike and Blood Rush: thus, even if we are indeed balancing around optimal clear speeds, there is still room to set the bar of optimal clearing around a slightly slower baseline, one that doesn't revolve around the player one-shotting every high-level enemy they run into. Simply running around and shooting enemies should never feel substandard, and the only effects to surpass this should be restrained to specific frames, with specific conditions to achieve superior performance.

I said "change reward first" so of course improvement for the game speed follows.

If they change the game speed first, then forums would be burned, like happened in melee 2.999.

On 2019-06-22 at 8:09 AM, Teridax68 said:

I hear the point you are making But it does go both ways.  If we dramatically reduce the effectiveness of the s2w melee, then the s2w person can make the exact same argument that is currently being made against them in that THEY won't have any enemies to kill because while they are playing lion tamer on a enemy by enemy basis and killing enemies one or two at a time the Saryn-types and people with automatic weapons are mowing things down at a ridiculous pace.  Currently, there are even shotgun carrying players who I see take out an entire room with a well placed shot. EveN right now, I commonly see missions where a s2w guy might do very well and kill 250 enemies....and then you notice the Saryn killed 980 and the wisp killed 650, etc.  

I guess my point is that this entire thing is based on who's ox is getting goared and the idea that DE will take away from some Arbitraily Instead of truly balancing the game is troubling.  If they Nerf this and then a other group say now these guys are out of whack and then they get nerfed, etc,.  I just don't want to to see a watered down game that is equivalent to us tossing marshmallows at bullet sponges for thirty minutes to make a very Grindy game even more Grindy.  That's how games get boring very fast.  

This is off topic but somewhat related, I already see a very troubling tendency that DE employs in their game.  They make every possible scenario that is irrelevant to the game purposely longer and more difficult than it needs to be and despite people complaining, they leave it and add more.   There is absolutely no reason why every single stinking assassination mission needs to take three minutes to walk through the map and 30 seconds to do the job and then another minute to get out of the map.   There is no reason why every arbitration mission needs to be double as long as their normal counterparts.

It seems at some point, DE bought into the idea that more grind=better for the game.  It doesn't.  What would be better is more creative challenges and, to be honest, it IS OK if some stuff is just hard to accomplish and you can't sleepwalk it as long as you have an hour to spend on something that should take 15 minutes.  I guess I would rather spend 3 hours figuring out how to defeat something tough and putting together the right team for it if necessary than spending 3 hours doing it, knowing I WILL get there, if I just commit to putting the tbutt time in the seat, even though I'll be bored and tedious for about 2 1/2 hours of that process.  To me, it feels like those scenarios where everyone gets a participation trophy and nobody feels like they need to try harder.   Some people want a little more challenge.

Edited by (PS4)Glitschig

On 2019-06-13 at 11:03 AM, Jiminez_Burial said:

As stated by DeMonkey, the people who hate spin2win also hate those Warframes.  And at the end of the day it's not really the act itself that annoys us, it's the fact that you obviously didn't need to join a squad in order to be as efficient ('cause you're gonna one hit everything anyway) and yet you still did.  Do that in solo and no-one will complain.

Solo doesn't spawn as many enemies. Sorry if knowing maths and being efficient ruins your fun, but that's just how the game plays.

It doesn't have to mean playing with 1-button nukes, or spinning to win all the time, there's lots of ways to be efficient and contribute, those two, are two of those options. I for one don't mind carrying players either, and when i go in public matches, even if i'm leveling stuff, i'll always try to balance my loadout so i don't have to rely on others to carry me, or slow them down.

But, if you want to play at your pace, and do other things, then maybe, you're the one that should be playing solo? I mean, the game asks for efficiency, most players expect that as well. So if you don't enjoy that way, then you're the one in a niche, and maybe it's you that should play solo.

That's also what i do. When i want to explore secrets and stuff (like the ones in the new Gas city stuff), i'll go solo or friends only, and spend an hour just going through the nooks, or when i wanna try out stuff that might not be that good, and the simulacrum doesn't cut it, i'll go solo, etc.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Glitschig said:

I hear the point you are making But it does go both ways.  If our dramatically reduce the effectiveness of the s2w melee, then the s2w person can make the exact same argument that is currently being made against them in that THEY won't have any enemies to kill because while they are playing lion tamer on a enemy by enemy basis and killing enemies one or two at a time the Saryn-types and people with automatic weapons are mowing things down at a ridiculous pace.  Currently, there are even shotgun carrying players who I see take out an entire room with a well placed shot. EveN right now, I commonly see missions where a s2w guy might do very well and kill 250 enemies....and then you notice the Saryn killed 980 and the wisp killed 650, etc.

Okay, and I can fully agree with this, but the existence of one broken design does not justify the rest, it just means we need to address these abuse cases so that we don't have to balance the game around each player emitting an enemy-killing aura that travels through walls. I can fully agree that frames like Saryn especially are just as guilty, if not more so, of being able to kill enemies before their allies can reach them (meanwhile, shotguns and Wisp I think are more okay, because their killing power tends to be more directional): in this respect, I want to not only address spin2win (which DE is about to do anyway with the melee changes), but also all the other problematic designs that make the game less fun, and in this case that cause some strats to ruin the fun for others.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ReaverKane said:

But, if you want to play at your pace, and do other things, then maybe, you're the one that should be playing solo?

Someone else has already said this so I'm going to quote my response.

"Your assumption is that I don't play solo most of the time.  I'm not one of those people who complains about stuff and keeps doing what they're doing when there's a way out, I took the way out.  If I'm doing basically anything other than random fissures then I do choose solo.  I'm just explaining why we hate it.  And before you make another assumption and ask "Well if you play solo all the time how do you know you hate spin2win", there was a time when spin2win wasn't as prominent as it is now.  Yes coptering meant people were doing it but they didn't have the broken mods we now do, nor did we even have whips/tonfas.  When it became common is when I became a mostly solo player.  If I don't have much time a particular day I might even take a basic spin2win melee and put it on my Ember/Equinox but the key difference is I always make sure I'm solo, I never subject others to it.  It all comes down to basic courtesy - I get physically angry when someone knows very clearly that what they're doing is annoying a total stranger (obviously friends doing it to eachother is fine) and they just don't give a damn."

3 hours ago, ReaverKane said:

I mean, the game asks for efficiency, most players expect that as well. So if you don't enjoy that way, then you're the one in a niche, and maybe it's you that should play solo.

There can be multiple niches existing at the same time and I never claimed to not be part of one myself.  My key point I touch on in my quoted response is that if you know that a playstyle you intend to use is annoying/angering to someone then why would you then choose to use that playstyle in a public lobby.  At that stage you're just admitting to being a jackass.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jiminez_Burial said:

There can be multiple niches existing at the same time and I never claimed to not be part of one myself.  My key point I touch on in my quoted response is that if you know that a playstyle you intend to use is annoying/angering to someone then why would you then choose to use that playstyle in a public lobby.  At that stage you're just admitting to being a jackass.

Sorry but for me spin 2 win is best style to see and other some S#&$ weapon lover is not, i want least effort with maximum efficiency.

So we shouldn't "expect" something for others, both for good and bad,

Edited by Test-995
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Test-995 said:

Sorry but for me spin 2 win is best style to see and other some S#&$ weapon lover is not, i want least effort with maximum efficiency.

So we shouldn't "expect" something for others, both for good and bad,

I don't think it's too much to ask for basic courtesy though, and if there is a sizable number of people who hate something then people should be aware of that and not be A******s about.  It's the same reason I wouldn't play my Thrashcore/Technical Metal music out loud in public and I would smash the equipment of anyone playing synthetic noise (aka dubstep, techno etc).  They are polarising genres and so people should be aware of how it affects other people, the same should be said of playstyles.

2 hours ago, Jiminez_Burial said:

I don't think it's too much to ask for basic courtesy though, and if there is a sizable number of people who hate something then people should be aware of that and not be A******s about.  It's the same reason I wouldn't play my Thrashcore/Technical Metal music out loud in public and I would smash the equipment of anyone playing synthetic noise (aka dubstep, techno etc).  They are polarising genres and so people should be aware of how it affects other people, the same should be said of playstyles.

I don't know how you get those "sizable number", forum/reddit doesn't have that much of people when compared to actual players, so sadly not that useful.

And if you "people should be aware of that because few people in forum hate it", then you should be aware if i say i hate everything but spin2win too.

Warframe doesn't have "basic courtesy" or anything like that, at least DE didn't stated that kind of things exist, beside obvious trolling and afk leeching, people should be able to play whatever they want and people should allow everything others do, at least this is how PuG works.

And it's not that important anyways, I'm fine with whatever AoE nerfs if they made changes for game reward.

26 minutes ago, Test-995 said:

And if you "people should be aware of that because few people in forum hate it"

Getting this out of the way first - if you put quotation marks around something then make sure it's actually a quote.  Quotes are word for word.

27 minutes ago, Test-995 said:

Warframe doesn't have "basic courtesy" or anything like that, at least DE didn't stated that kind of things exist

So what you're saying is that unless DE enforce it, there's no reason to expect basic human decency from other people for whom you have no other information/context of other than 'they're another person playing this game'?  Because if so then that's pretty #*!%ing pathetic.

32 minutes ago, Test-995 said:

people should be able to play whatever they want and people should allow everything others do

So you would be on my side if people argued with me about bringing a 'counter-volt' into runs that has max efficiency, max range, lowest possible strength and low duration with the pure intent to clear volt speed boosts?  Or would you be on their side because I'm not allowing them to make me suffer x5 movement speed?

37 minutes ago, Test-995 said:

I don't know how you get those "sizable number", forum/reddit doesn't have that much of people when compared to actual players, so sadly not that useful.

Because I come across a lot of it just talking with people in-game, the forums, and from moderating the wiki (I don't go near reddit).  It's plain to see that there is a group of us out there that hate spin2win.  And when I say sizable, I mean a statistically significant number of people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jiminez_Burial said:

Getting this out of the way first - if you put quotation marks around something then make sure it's actually a quote.  Quotes are word for word.

So what you're saying is that unless DE enforce it, there's no reason to expect basic human decency from other people for whom you have no other information/context of other than 'they're another person playing this game'?  Because if so then that's pretty #*!%ing pathetic.

So you would be on my side if people argued with me about bringing a 'counter-volt' into runs that has max efficiency, max range, lowest possible strength and low duration with the pure intent to clear volt speed boosts?  Or would you be on their side because I'm not allowing them to make me suffer x5 movement speed?

Because I come across a lot of it just talking with people in-game, the forums, and from moderating the wiki (I don't go near reddit).  It's plain to see that there is a group of us out there that hate spin2win.  And when I say sizable, I mean a statistically significant number of people.

Well, i don't know actual usage of quotation mark so sorry for that, i think i meant to say if you say something like, instead of that strange if you.

And actually yes, we can't expect anything from other players, they are different person and not you.

I'm on neither, i'd bash DE side in that case, they should make a configuration about preferable volt speed strength, and always keep nearest buffs for that, even if it is unrealistic way to fix issue.

Sure, so how that is statistically significant when compared to thousands of actual players? did you collected information across bunch of moon sized clans?

4 hours ago, Jiminez_Burial said:

For me, basic courtesy is to try and not to slow down other people, in a game that is already extremely repetitive and time intensive.
I expect that others expect me to be efficient and effective, and i expect the same from others, although i'm always ready to take up the slack.

1 hour ago, YazMatazO said:

I will be honest with you... people who enjoy spin2win probably have IQ equal to their age. 

I'd say the opposite, that people that don't use spin2win, are too stupid to know that finishing a mission in 3 minutes is better than finishing in 5. Especially if you have to repeat that mission 50 more times to get that single item you want.
So instead of assuming intelligence, lets agree to disagree on that, and just say it's a matter of preference, and as such extremely subjective. To be honest, i much prefer my style of play (which is why i use it) that allowed me not only to catch up to the guys that got me playing this game, one of them having been playing this from the beta, but also to complete surpass them in levels, proficiency and just about every other metric, even though he had a 3 year head start. But he liked to "smell the roses" and played pretty much how i assume that Jimenez does. Alone, and slowly.

Again it's a valid way, as long as he's having fun, but i much rather complete everything, and even enjoy a year long break if i need to, than be slow enough to never quite catch up.

Of course, this is also a symptom of the game's lack of end-game... People don't really have to progress because the game doesn't have anything to progress towards. With Eidolons, arbitrations and the Orbs, things are getting closer to a bit of a sort of end-game, but it's still not challenging enough that people need to play optimally.

Edited by ReaverKane

1 minute ago, ReaverKane said:

But he liked to "smell the roses" and played pretty much how i assume that Jimenez does. Alone, and slowly.

Yikes, again someone assuming.  I actually prefer to move through a level at speed killing enemies with headshots in a way that requires physical mechanical skill rather than playing in a manner that could be accomplished just as easily with a macro.

1 hour ago, ReaverKane said:

I'd say the opposite, that people that don't use spin2win, are too stupid to know that finishing a mission in 3 minutes is better than finishing in 5. Especially if you have to repeat that mission 50 more times to get that single item you want.

What if said people realize they don't want to grind everything in the game, and instead want to enjoy some other aspect of it? You see, in theory, with that comment you ironically place yourself in that same slice - you, at least in theory, fail to see how somebody else might be having different priorities than optimal grinding. Granted, to those who say they enjoy spinning - why not spin in solo, or maybe - make a spin squad? There are those who don't enjoy playing together with people who spin. I believe we're beginning to respect that?

Is there really a point in spin2win in survival arbitrations, for example? Not really. The game-mode elicits nothing else than gameplay - you're not pressured to have high kill potential, there are enough mobs to keep you going for as long as you please. You could make the argument that you wanted to stay there for 3 hours straight, but who'd want to do that? There are those that would like to sit there and have a spinner kill everything, and there are those who came in to shoot something themselves and get a bit of endo for it without going ham on grinding. 

Is spin2win viable 25 digs deep in a 3:30 per rotation Excav Arbitrations?... Maybe... but you will need to play it differently than what most spinners do, and also, you will need to have a few more tools up your sleeve other than just a spinning Inaros. That, actually, means that spin2win could be a good co-op tool, especially in long excavs. But the way most people use it is actually wrong, because they either lose the objective - as said Inaros, or they either die by spinning into crowds of enemies without taking care of some other detail before that. That actually means that when they need to make a good use of that tool, they don't know the details surrounding it, meaning most of the time, they use it wrongly.  

In other words - high clear speed isn't always the optimal way to play the game, either because it's not what some people enjoy in it, or because the spinners, ironically, forego some other tool which is more important to completing an objective in favor of spinning. 

In addition - if you're allowing yourself such a powerful tool, regardless, you need to complete the mission in 1 minute. Not 3. The only time I allow myself to spin is when I want to crack relics faster in exterminate Axi nodes. I am on my volt, and I do top damage always. I apologize to my squad because they're practically relegated to parkour run, and they say: 'Hey, man, you're good. Keep going.' 1 minute to 1:30 per run. 

If I make spin2win out of one my zaws, I'd put all those atteraxes and scoliacs, and whatnot to shame. I wouldn't leave much standing. The rest of my squad will just sit there with stragglers. I'd feel stupid. Just ruined the game for me and some other random people. 

Edited by YazMatazO
  • Like 3

I’m more on the casual side but extreme cases like s2w and the saryns of the game are not how you retain players over time, as the pressure to play these meta styles may be the last thing a player wants to do, but feels forced to, because how broken they are to the rest of the game.  Eventually that player will reach a point where the fun factor is not strong enough to justify not playing how they want and they quit.  I’ve seen this in many other games, especially blizzard games as they are notorious for poor balancing.  

In my opinion, warframe is a great game that falls off real hard when you get to the higher levels and it becomes “Saryn or memestrike or bad.”   That’s broken gameplay and DE not fixing it over people spending plat is pathetic on DEs end.  Balance is key to a healthy game, and irrational fears shouldn’t stop that   

Granted alot of  is communal based and the eternal quest for efficiency but I can only speak for myself when I say if anything will get me to uninstall this game it would be when I get fed up for getting crap for wanting to bring my boi Frost to a defense mission and not a Saryn. 

Edited by OmegaDonut
  • Like 2

Spin Attacks (when not botted into a doorway), are a stylish very-ninja-move, IMO. I like.

Spin Attacks increase efficiency of killing enemies. This is a good thing. I like.

I personally use them occasionally, but prefer the old polearm quick-attack freedom of movement for my fun. (My fun is gone.)

I like it when I join a random group, and the other players are powerful, even if it means they're s2w'ing and meta-framing. It means success and loot. That's what I'm after, usually. Sounds good to me.

Occasionally, a lack of enemies will limit my gameplay options (like an Inaros that needs to do a few finishers to regain life after putting up scarab armor before noticing the rest of the team's tactics, and having no enemies around... but generally, that also means that there are no enemies around to kill me either, so no biggie.)

Personal verdict: S2W if you want to, I'm good either way.