Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Simple Fix To The Rng "problem"

ValiantCorvus

Because doing away with it completely is dumb.  Nearly every other MMO RPG/Dungeon/What have you on the market uses RNG to an extent, yet everyone seems to think that it's terrible in this.  The problem used to be that everything could drop anything, which made a GIANT reward pool so certain rare mods were practically impossible to obtain.  This was mildly solved by faction locking everything, but you still see those cases where people are playing for months and can't find the mod they want.

Simple solution?  Make mods scale to level like fusion cores.  Narrow down the reward pools to level ranges, where lower level ranges will have the common mods while the higher level have the more rare ones.  Maybe give a lower percentage to the ones that should be "rare".

The sad part?  I'm sure this has already been mentioned before, but it wasn't until lately that the RNG crying really picked up.

Edited by ValiantCorvus

Honestly the RNG surrounding Mods isn't what is really killing people.

What I see really making people angry or tempting people to drop the game a while is stuff like:

- I've done 50 runs of X boss and still haven't gotten the final part of X Frame. I'm sick of running this boss now but I need to keep playing if I want to reach my goal.

Or

-I've blown 50 T-Whatever Void keys and I've got nothing but duplicates of a part I don't need.

Those are the parts of the RNG you can bet someone is talking about when you see someone angry about it. 

They need a release valve on that. Something that a player who is stuck in the grind trap can use to fish themselves out.

Hell we've got Transmutation for Mods, right? Gimme that for BPs. If DE told me

"Look, if you pop 4 duplicates of something like Rhino Systems in, you'll get either Rhino Helm or Rhino Chassis at a split of 50/50"

I'd be absolutely stoked. I'd be willing to deal with those odds.

Because doing away with it completely is dumb.  Nearly every other MMO RPG/Dungeon/What have you on the market uses RNG to an extent, yet everyone seems to think that it's terrible in this.  The problem used to be that everything could drop anything, which made a GIANT reward pool so certain rare mods were practically impossible to obtain.  This was mildly solved by faction locking everything, but you still see those cases where people are playing for months and can't find the mod they want.

Part of this problem is that many people still have no idea which enemies/missions drop what, and the same can be extrapolated to Void missions and such. DE mentioned a plan to allow these things to be more understandable, but the key flaw of the system suggested on the livestream is that it relies on you already having the thing you're looking for. Makes sense, right? On top of that, I suspect that particular venture will just get swept aside at some point in the next few months, leaving us where we are now; speculation and hearsay.

Honestly the RNG surrounding Mods isn't what is really killing people.

What I see really making people angry or tempting people to drop the game a while is stuff like:

- I've done 50 runs of X boss and still haven't gotten the final part of X Frame. I'm sick of running this boss now but I need to keep playing if I want to reach my goal.

Or

-I've blown 50 T-Whatever Void keys and I've got nothing but duplicates of a part I don't need.

Those are the parts of the RNG you can bet someone is talking about when you see someone angry about it. 

They need a release valve on that. Something that a player who is stuck in the grind trap can use to fish themselves out.

Hell we've got Transmutation for Mods, right? Gimme that for BPs. If DE told me

"Look, if you pop 4 duplicates of something like Rhino Systems in, you'll get either Rhino Helm or Rhino Chassis at a split of 50/50"

I'd be absolutely stoked. I'd be willing to deal with those odds.

Yup that's where I fit in. All these void keys all used up and all I get are Paris Prime strings.

Part of this problem is that many people still have no idea which enemies/missions drop what, and the same can be extrapolated to Void missions and such. DE mentioned a plan to allow these things to be more understandable, but the key flaw of the system suggested on the livestream is that it relies on you already having the thing you're looking for. Makes sense, right? On top of that, I suspect that particular venture will just get swept aside at some point in the next few months, leaving us where we are now; speculation and hearsay.

How many games literally hold your hand and tell you what drops where?

For the life of me I can't think of a single one other than warframe.  People here are getting spoiled.

How many games literally hold your hand and tell you what drops where?

For the life of me I can't think of a single one other than warframe.  People here are getting spoiled.

I don't understand the logic of being bothered by DE being awesome and finally rolling droprate info out. That is an insanely cool thing for them to do. It isn't hand holding - because the knowledge of what drops where sure wont make it drop easier.