Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Revisiting Wukong

Ok, I came up with this idea for Defy:

as currently the ability is channeled, what if it gets reworked to be a duration based ability, and im going to quote a friend words ( "I mean long run wise, his health is restored less and less every time you die, so really you just die for real after getting one shot enough times" ). Basically its defy as it is right now but duration based, so you still get the immortality state that people loves from Wukong, and it won't be a set and forget ability.

31 minutes ago, FeJoToRe said:

Basically its defy as it is right now but duration based, so you still get the immortality state that people loves from Wukong, and it won't be a set and forget ability.

So every few seconds you double jump and recast? Seems set and forget like the old one. If it's low duration it's just a pain in the ass to play  

Please let invulnerability die.

Just wish armor buff is moved to the passive and defy does something else, so we are not dependent on enemy dmg to get tanky.

1 hour ago, MonkeyKV said:

So every few seconds you double jump and recast? Seems set and forget like the old one. If it's low duration it's just a pain in the ass to play  

Please let invulnerability die.

Just wish armor buff is moved to the passive and defy does something else, so we are not dependent on enemy dmg to get tanky.

Fair enough, what should the invisibility on many warframes, or the Invulnerability of Hysteria be replaced with?

Just now, RagingPavillion said:

It'd be nice if he'll get two clones instead of one.  I haven't tried Wukong yet, but why have they changed how Defy works when most people build him around that ability?

Because it was 
A. not interactive - as they said in the workshop it was largely considered a set and forget ability where you could just press 2 and only worry about refreshing it maybe once or twice throughout the mission. Considering the rest of his kit was(or rather currently is) at best lackluster and at worst terrible this being his best ability meant you weren't playing an interesting warframe as much as you were playing a walking weapon. Which while some people found fun almost all can agree is a bad way to design a character.

and B. Wasn't that good all things considered. Yes being immortal in warframe is ok but is far from great. Frames like pre rework zephyr could be almost as immortal as wukong and were considered just as bad. Immortality is almost always worse than a frame being given damage/cc/ or buffs. If you look at a lot of other frames that can be functionally immortal such as inaros rhino and nidus they're considered great because along with their tankiness they have the ability to cc/dps/or buff a team in some manner. The ability to tank is an after thought and isn't something that in the current state of warframe is all that important 

1 hour ago, toyetic said:

Because it was 
A. not interactive - as they said in the workshop it was largely considered a set and forget ability where you could just press 2 and only worry about refreshing it maybe once or twice throughout the mission. Considering the rest of his kit was(or rather currently is) at best lackluster and at worst terrible this being his best ability meant you weren't playing an interesting warframe as much as you were playing a walking weapon. Which while some people found fun almost all can agree is a bad way to design a character.

and B. Wasn't that good all things considered. Yes being immortal in warframe is ok but is far from great. Frames like pre rework zephyr could be almost as immortal as wukong and were considered just as bad. Immortality is almost always worse than a frame being given damage/cc/ or buffs. If you look at a lot of other frames that can be functionally immortal such as inaros rhino and nidus they're considered great because along with their tankiness they have the ability to cc/dps/or buff a team in some manner. The ability to tank is an after thought and isn't something that in the current state of warframe is all that important 

Considering many mini-bosses or other 'elite enemies' are immune to attack powers, and Valkyr exists - as do invisibility warframes like Ivara - many of our warframes are essentially gun and melee carriers rather than power users. Perhaps it is important to look at what Wukong could do with Defy that Valkyr can not? Wukong could use his ability with a Rage mod or such and his exalted stick or regular melee and guns while keeping up his death defiance on his rather low survival stats warframe otherwise. Those other warframes can be tough, though Rhino there is again more of a hide behind his ability warframe with Iron Skin, Nidus has good innate defense and life, but mostly survives at high levels due to pulling a Trinity link and Parasitic Linking tanky foes.

The logic of low interaction fails when considering any warframe that goes invisible or Valkyr invulnerability on surface checks, so the reasoning has to be deeper and less said.

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

Considering many mini-bosses or other 'elite enemies' are immune to attack powers, and Valkyr exists - as do invisibility warframes like Ivara - many of our warframes are essentially gun and melee carriers rather than power users.

"Elite enemies" as you put it are only immune to powers that directly deal damage and thats a minority as for the most part frames can still utilize abilities to do damage to boss enemies. Frames like chroma who is the defacto boss killer uses his abilities to kill them efficiently. His buffs also require upkeep and isnt something where you can just press an ability key and not worry about. 

As for frames like valkyr and invisibility frames like ivara, Valkyr's 4 comes with the caveat that you are stuck using her exalted melee. Her immortality is more than just immortality in this case. And before you say she can just shoot in her 4 that was a result of the (relatively) recent melee changes and for the 3+ years valkyr was in the game she couldn't do this so it's likely an unintended consequence that has yet to be properly dealt with rather than an intended feature. As for invisibility frames they use their forms of invisibility as an alternative means of survival considering they have less ehp at base than tanks in the game. These frames also have caveats to their invisibility. Ivara moves slow making it less efficient than using it only when necessary, Ash has a low duration of invisibility meaning it has more upkeep, and octavia not only has buffs that are given to her and teammates aside for invisibility but the invisibility has to be timed with a beat, granted with a song that spams notes this isn't hard to do but takes more effort than using wukongs current defy. Frames that can gain invisibility all have some sort of upkeep that is intended from allow them to just press a button and be functionally immortal aside from loki. And it should be noted loki is from a time when warframes weren't based around original interesting mechanics and along with a majority of the other older frames that are still good (like trinity) are likely to get some looks later down the line. Also saying these frames are gun and melee carriers due to the fact that they can't utilize abilities on mini bosses is false considering ash's 1, ivara's 4, and octavias 1 all do damage to bosses aside from eidolons. Valkyr could also damage bosses with her 4 AND has an attack speed buff. On top of all of that saying that a frame is a set and forget frame because they don't do damage to enemy bosses when 90% of gameplay is against actual enemies and not boss battles makes little sense.

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

Perhaps it is important to look at what Wukong could do with Defy that Valkyr can not? Wukong could use his ability with a Rage mod or such and his exalted stick or regular melee and guns while keeping up his death defiance on his rather low survival stats warframe otherwise. 

Yes he could. I fail to see how this disproves my point that wukong's current defy is a low interaction ability or how abilitys that have low interaction are bad. The thing wukong could do that valkyr cannot is be immortal while using a gun. Valkyr up until fairly recently was stuck using her exalted claws which while did good damage was not very efficient but was interactive and fun for many. Also if you want to take a look at things wukong did that valkyr could not thats a very short list, but switch the comparison and you see how wukong's kit as a whole was non intuitive even compared to a lackluster frame like valkyr. Valkyr has better movement, better buffs, and comparable damage and survivability. Wukong may beat valkyr in tankiness and maybe beats her in damage but as an all around frame valkyr is better.

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

Those other warframes can be tough, though Rhino there is again more of a hide behind his ability warframe with Iron Skin, Nidus has good innate defense and life, but mostly survives at high levels due to pulling a Trinity link and Parasitic Linking tanky foes.

Once again these frames also have some interaction and upkeep with their tanky abilites. Rhino's scaling is dependent on the amount of damage he takes when activating iron skin. On top of that with his augment he has to actually interact with enemies by hitting them to build it up to insane levels. On top of that the iron skin will eventually run out and has to be refreshed. While this is comparable to wukong needing to refresh his defy to regain that amount of tankiness rhino needs to hit enemies and take damage again after refreshing to get his iron skin back up the level it was initially at. I'm not saying doing any of these things is hard but they do require some interaction and upkeep. As for nidus his tankiness comes from his ability to build up stacks. Even with your example of parasitic link not only can he not utilize that ability until he's hit enough enemies but he has to continue hitting enemies to be able to continue using the ability. Again i'm not saying this is a hard thing to do but undeniably takes interaction and upkeep.

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

The logic of low interaction fails when considering any warframe that goes invisible or Valkyr invulnerability on surface checks, so the reasoning has to be deeper and less said.

The logic of interaction is one of the things that drive DE's warframe reworks and creation. Anyone who plays the game could see this with wisps recent release. All of her abilities are good but utilizes together actively they become great. This shouldn't be news to anyone who's been playing for a while as there have been nerfs because they allowed for afk farming such as banshee's 4 augment nerf and embers 4 nerf. Frames that can go invisible aside from the one made in 2013 before the game had a true identity have some form of upkeep on their invisibility. Frames that are just as if not more tanky than wukong have some sort of upkeep on said tankiness. Interaction is and should be one of the driving reasons behind changes made to warframes as one of the few things almost all of the community can agree on is that afking and doing nothing in warframe is not interesting and lowers player retention

I like the rework direction overall but I am not entirely sold on the Defy changes. Reflected damage back to the enemy will not be very useful because enemies tend to have high defenses which also scale up each level while their damage numbers in comparison are much smaller as are Warframe shield and hp pools as well. It will do nothing for Wukong the same way it does nothing for Nyx even though she is able to boost her mind controlled targets greatly and why she is known for her CC, not her damage. Thematically and on paper the idea is cool, but mechanically and functionally it just doesn't work in the current way scaling in the game works. Maybe one day there will be point in reflecting damage back to the enemies but not in the current iteration. Here is hoping for a long needed proper balancing and fine tuning of the game.

I'd rather they make his passive work on a 90 second timer like pheonix renewal than have 3 charges of it. That way it stays consistently useful in endurance runs  especially arbitrations, as well as short missions. It also just feels S#&$ty to have a part of your kit be a completely finite resource. Imagine if nidus could never gain back stacks that he uses when he triggers his passive.

Other than that it depends on the clones AI being capable, and defys nuke being able to actually kill enemies at levels that actually matter, because DE has a bad track record for damage reflection abilities. Look at nyxs rework her 4 is the same concept and it's still complete and utter garbage ability for killing anything 

This new defy is going to make Wukong way too squishy and tbh i don't think that spamming defy will be that fun gameplaywise nor relevant energywise. He really needed that rework but defy was far from being the power to be entirely reworked/nerfed.

Plus armour only will make us spend too much time in cloud form to get health back since it's his only way to not die now, which is still an awful power so that's it ? We'll have to watch wukong spin around and then watch him in cloud form ? I don't think you'll make Wukong more fun tbh, which is one of his main issue for now. Some frames are using one power to clean the entire map when Wukong will basically have to use two different powers to not die only. Pretty meh if you want my two cents.

And we'll get tons of issue too, clone awful AI, awful retatliation mechanics and what will happen when we'll see nullifiers all around, especially since this clone will definitely not try to avoid them etc.

So far this rework isn't necessarily better and Wukong power are still lacking of interesting synergies. I only see separate active powers that lock him into spinning or clouding animations way too long for too few results. 😕

6 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

This new defy is going to make Wukong way too squishy and tbh i don't think that spamming defy will be that fun gameplaywise nor relevant energywise.

So don't spam it? We don't know the stats of it, so it's too early to accuse it of being an ability that requires spam.

7 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

make us spend too much time in cloud form to get health back since it's his only way to not die now

Because it provides healing? You're right, we really need other ways of healing ourselves. If only there were arcanes or mods or allies that could do that so that we weren't completely reliant on Cloudwalker. Oh well.

9 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

clone awful AI

Whilst AI is a problem, DE listened and we do actually have some control over the clone, namely you can target an enemy that isn't a nullifier for it to attack, remains to be seen how useful that is ofc.

il y a 36 minutes, DeMonkey a dit :

So don't spam it? We don't know the stats of it, so it's too early to accuse it of being an ability that requires spam.

No offense but active powers are to be spammed, that's how they're designed. So far Wukong needs now two active powers to fully enjoy some tankiness, which is a huge nerf to how he was designed previously. And tbh i don't want to spam two different powers to not die, that's just not fun at all - This resumes half of its new kit, that and clones with dumb AI plus some already existing exalted weapon.

I'm just giving my two cents cause so far DE tends to do the same mistakes even if some feedbacks tell them what's wrong design wise. Wukong really needed to be more fun and i don't see what's funnier in his whole new kit.

5 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

No offense but active powers are to be spammed, that's how they're designed.

I have genuine concerns about how you play the game.

5 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

And tbh i don't want to spam two different powers to not die, that's just not fun at all

Again, so don't. There are other methods of sustaining your frame.

Stop pretending like you're going to be forced to play a certain way.

6 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

clones with dumb AI

Did you miss the bit where I pointed out we actually have some control over it? Sure the AI will be dumb, but if it decides to charge across the room into a nullifier bubble then that's on you, not the AI.

8 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

and i don't see what's funnier in his whole new kit.

Evidently, your entire post reeks of glass half empty. At least wait until it's released before deciding.

il y a 8 minutes, DeMonkey a dit :

I have genuine concerns about how you play the game.

I would be way more worried about your own cynism than that. No worries i play the game perfectly fine.

Concerning the clones i don't think that most players will spend decades targeting new enemies over and over again. dumb AI is dumb AI. Being arrogant or cynical won't change that unless you're making up your own reality here.

9 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

Concerning the clones i don't think that most players will spend decades targeting new enemies over and over again

But I thought spamming abilities is how you play the game? Tsk tsk.

Also, "so don't". Play however you want. I didn't say you'd have to target new enemies over and over, I was just responding to your comment regarding it running into a nullifier.

If you see it running towards a nullifier, target another enemy and it should target that one instead. Simple af.

@toyetic The point in general, is that what is non-interactive is essentially no-play between enemies and player. This seems to be a detail you miss, but that is fine. If I am going invulnerable as Valkyr, enemies can not hurt me, there is nothing they can do to me as long as I can kill them first or walk away from them, as I identified in the useful bit you reiterated from my paragraph earlier. If I am invisible, enemies are not fighting me, and I am not getting attacked; and the fight becomes a match between my energy duration and my available energy with a small risk - if I don't bother even pretending to be sneaky - of being seen and shot if I don't pick folk off while invisible not being attacked back, or avoiding them entirely. Wukong is getting damaged, and resisting death with reduced effectiveness each time, now he can do similar to that Valkyr or invisible warframe (which Wukong can sorta do himself admittedly poorly) and assure that he is in a relatively safe spot to toggle his Defy. Same goes for the other examples you missed. Their requirement to interact with the enemies is largely even less than a Wukong and mind that requires Wukong to be picking fights and getting into attrition to care about Defy, otherwise it goes back to the same situation with the invisibility which he can still do to arrange himself for silent take-downs - worse than them but its there - while Valkyr can either just go invulnerable and walk past everything, kill them without much retaliation, or just rely on the fact she has the most innate armor of any warframe. Its not really pertinent to my main point, but it seems to be something you feel is important and it is there for those that need it.

Upkeep, as you said is something built in to Defy, as it reduces the energy return and life returned as we both identify, Wukong like the Valkyr and Ivara example we both used have the same ability to toggle on and off their ability to not be killed and each pay costs for the moves to work at their best. Ivara will usually be using an Augment - Ivara for her spy room easy mode it seems for many - while Valkyr will often but not always have a Rage similar to Wukong toggling out of her move temporarily to easily face tank a second and then get back to the invulnerability - there is very little difference mechanically in these requirements for best usage but in this case, Ivara doesn't need the augment outside of spies while Wukong would be reckless, though not impossible with good Arcane Energize and energy orb maintenance; to go without a Rage or Hunter Adrenaline while Valkyr likes going with Rage she can do the Arcane Energize method even easier than a Wukong with far less risk. I identified weapon availability as a concern here in comparison as Wukong is largely more flexible in what he can do while resisting death and identified that Valkyr now can switch, those this disables her invulnerability while active, it can be handy to rebuild her Energy through Rage or shoot enemies that her powerful claws can not. Wukong does two active drain toggle abilities to do something similar and while it isn't always a problem, the drain can grow to the point in repeated near-death scenario situations to deplete the quickly diminished energy before Rage can recover it. This isn't something Valkyr or Ivara would be worrying about in their situations. Valkyr do to being completely invulnerable and Ivara from not having aggro and picking off enemies without or very little interaction. The costs of this upkeep though can be troubling, Valkyr does increase in drain as her ability is held active, something that was changed to work that way with her last rework, while Wukong's Defy currently does not; though it seems like his Primal Fury will be getting that treatment per this rework if I am reading it properly. These are all toggle abilities, and have the same kind of activation maintenance, just as an Oberon might toggle his Iron Renewal on to heal allies. In this case, the level of interaction and button presses if that is what you consider "upkeep" is largely the same as stated.

Warframes like Rhino and Chroma, while I can understand why you might compare them to Wukong, Valkyr, or Ivara are not really mechanically similar; but rather sharing themes in function here and there. Rhino and Chroma are mostly trying to do some of the same deals; enduring damage but mostly focus on using their weapons or pumping short bursts of stat based resistance. Rhino boosting damage, slowing enemies with stasis stomp, or using Iron skin to essentially block short instances of damage while getting what amounts to overshields before we had overshields to give temporary life and status resistance. Chroma plays this similarly but has direct tricks, and more blunt instrument. Chroma pumps in a very short radius himself and allies with Elemental Ward and Vex armor to enable truly intense levels of armor based damage resist, and weapon based damage but has a toggle based low damage effigy that can stagger or status enemies, mostly acting as a distraction, while lowering Chroma's armor but boosting speed slightly. While Chroma loves Rage/Hunter Adrenaline like Wukong and often Valkyr (some builds totally forgo it of course) he isn't going invulnerable preventing damage outside of armor, or defying death if downed he stays down and without those Vex boosts which are not a toggle, he goes down much the same as any warframe might not using abilities. Rhino still sometimes uses Rage, but due to his trying to prevent himself from taking life damage at all, it doesn't have as much synergy, but can be used on builds that don't utilize Arcane Energize and the Iron Shrapnel augment, essentially working to move between high attrition zones and absorb punishment while dipping in and out of cover with the Rage version. Rhino in particular relies on this as his base stats are actually geared more towards shields and he has innately only average life and around average range of armor. Chroma also have average life, but has more innate armor, though not as high as Valkyr; but relies on those innate stats more without active maxed Vex Refreshes.

Logic is the point of what my little snippet was about, you have existing warframes who have received reworks since; that maintain the same level of interaction or have less, like invisible warframes in general. What you might be thinking of is the term, player involvement. This is the kind of subject that DE Steve brought up when you talk about the internal reasoning for Vivergate, E-Gate, and other "loot cave" nukes. You want the player playing the scenario, whether that be sneaking, punching people in the face and laughing as you refuse to die, or fighting folk and constantly playing a game of trying to heal inbetween Bombard blasts and those constant ability spam nuke warframes like Saryn and Equinox. Each have playstyles that are baked in so to speak, when DE puts together their moveset, that one warframe has a targeted nich or playstyle isn't a problem and didn't officially result in the changing of their abilities or the mission nodes; what did was that players were boiling the matches down to what DE Steve referred to as drinking bird game-play. Similar to Homer using a drinking bird to push his terminal buttons at the nuclear plant in an episode of the Simpsons - his main job boiled down to pushing a button if the plant was experiencing a problem, and the button would help stabilize the plant if pushed during this time, but didn't do much outside of it - the game/power plant plays itself! Or at least that was how it was starting to seem, so it was changed. The problem there was that the players were not being involved in the mission, DE didn't care too much how players were doing it, as long as they were still running around the mission doing the objective and collecting that stuff. When even moving to pickup rewards or capture points wasn't important to the core reason to play those missions, they were changed. AFK timers, line of sight, moves changed to new effects whatever works.

Case in point, many toggle effects disable as do Sentinels assisting the player if the player goes AFK, while non-endless missions will fail after a time if someone doesn't at least move a certain distance or shoot enemies. Wukong's play style pushes to weapon usage while resisting death, and then toggling off when out of combat, much like any protective move while killing primarily through weapons as any warframe might before abilities, which direct damage ability warframes would have to do on Elite enemies or bosses similarly immune or sporting cumulative resistance to such moves. This suggests, as stated before, that Wukong's suggested changes per this thread are not due to a lack of interaction, but rather fears his counters (nullies, comba, isolator bursa, and magnetic damage) are too narrow or that it no longer encourages a playstyle desired; which would necessitate changing Valkyr and many invisible focused warframes to avoid them simply suffering the same.

I find it a MISSED opportunity if you don't make his 3 Cloud Walker a cloud-like K-DRIVE that provides a speed and evasion buff to him and his allies.

Maybe let him also hover with it above ground up to a certain distance like hyldrin's 4,an effect which could extend to allies and that they can remove it if they wish via bullet jumping or something, though this might conflict with basic K-DRIVE functions, either way works. Allowing for some synergy with his 4 where slam attacks while on the cloud and with his 4 active paralyze/suspend nearby enemies in a mist and charge attacks while on the cloud with his 4 active extends the staff in a super wide sweep attack.

Using Defy while on the cloud could also gain an increased damage boost and range for the sweep attack.

At this point I'm just not a fan of how the new passive works... having a limited number of uses per mission seems like just a hard cap while a 90-120 second cooldown period would probably be more fair and wouldn't make that passive useless after (somehow) you died all those times.

I remember a time when we had a couple revives per day in warframe... that didn't end well, it feels to me that they're repeating it here. Hopefully they look at it again, it just doesn't make much sense to me.

58 minutes ago, _Kiro said:

At this point I'm just not a fan of how the new passive works... having a limited number of uses per mission seems like just a hard cap while a 90-120 second cooldown period would probably be more fair and wouldn't make that passive useless after (somehow) you died all those times.

I remember a time when we had a couple revives per day in warframe... that didn't end well, it feels to me that they're repeating it here. Hopefully they look at it again, it just doesn't make much sense to me.

A 90 second cooldown sounds solid, I mean it works for Oberon's augment after all. Good reasoning.

On 2019-06-16 at 12:57 AM, (XB1)Adaptabilty said:

Um, the cloud, while yes, he does technically ride on it and not transform into it, the could is just a reference to his nimbus. Also, the armor buff is nothing without health, and needs survivability so it most definitely fits his kit. The stealth mechanic is just so you can go through doors it's nothing serious, it's just a bonus, it's purely better. 

No the cloud is not a reference to his somersault cloud which he technically does not ride on but uses to somersault off of,  DEMonkey said it references his ability to transform which like I said in another comment above that I could not find any instance in the stories that he explicitly changes into a cloud himself. And yes it is true he needs health but there are ways to get the health back without taking you out of the battle like lifestrike. Plus the heal is not stated what type of heal it is, it could be a heal over time, an instant full heal, or even like the operator arcane the going in and out a few times and you're healed. And yes it is helpful about being able to go through lasers and all and be stealthy, but as a character that is not know for hiding or having to heal because he's immortal I still feel that  this ability does not fit and is still going to just as unfun as hydroids puddle because while it's faster you can still all you can do in that form is float not hack consoles and once you stagger enemies with this ability I'm pretty sure that put's them into a minor alerted state which takes away the ability to use the melee stealth multiplier. I do hope that like  DEMonkey said earlier that he can turn the ability into a transform ability incorporating more of the other 72 earthly transformations that wukong has mastered.

Just now, (PS4)jman10089 said:

DEMonkey said it references his ability to transform

No no, I said it references his boots, literally named Cloud walking boots.

My comment regarding him transforming into one was based on what I thought I read, apologies if I was mistaken, but the main point being that in game he actually transforms into a cloud as opposed to riding on or somersaulting with it.

В 13.06.2019 в 20:38, [DE]SpaceySarah сказал:

Calling all Tenno and Wukong lovers!

Released in 2015, Wukong entered the Arsenal as an homage to Chinese folklore. Since his initial inception, we’ve undergone changes to Melee and beyond which have made this Warframe feel a bit left behind. As highlighted in our latest Devstream, exciting developments are in the works for Wukong - and we are not monkeying around. Read on to see how we plan on making all his abilities a bit more active and meaningful:

Statistic Changes

• Health will be increased from 100 to 150 (at max rank increased from 300 to 450).
  • Shield will be decreased from 125 to 100 (at max rank decreased from 375 to 300).
    • Why? Since Wukong’s new kit now involves an armour buff, relying more on his health will enable a better synergy.
  • Energy will be increased from 100 to 120 (at max rank 150 to 180).
  • Sprint will be increased from .95 to 1.0.

Celestial Twin

• Replacing Iron Jab, Celestial Twin will allow for Wukong to shed a part of himself to call a supporting clone into action. The clone will attack from range while Wukong uses melee, or will use melee while Wukong uses range.
  • Press ability again to command Wukong’s clone to attack a specific target with increased damage.
  • Wukong’s clone will remain until it runs out of life.

Reasons for changes: Iron Jab is being replaced as it essentially exists as a weaker version of other powers. Wukong’s Ultimate can fulfill and surpass the role of Iron Jab, while fulfilling more of Wukong’s lore and creating a more powerful, synergized kit.

cZB5IXxQnkC-u6-N6oZMcU2mehIX9D3RKJ9SulOU

Cloud Walker

• Wukong evaporates into a fast-moving cloud of mist that will temporarily daze and paralyze enemies in his path. While in his cloud of mist, Cloud Walker has the additional mechanic of healing Wukong and his clone.
  • His movement can be interrupted by attacking at any time.
  • Cloud Walker has a much faster cast time which will no longer hold Wukong in place.
  • Wukong will no longer trigger laser traps or doors while using Cloud Walker.
  • Energy cost for Cloud Walker has been lowered.

Reasons for changes: Previously, Cloud Walker did not have many use cases as it was a slower and lesser stealth option than that of other frames. These changes make the Ability good for repositioning, more well-rounded - and WAY faster.

-_PDvMf3FVSp_YhqUYjwTYiAHDnOZCJt0esRC0V2

Defy

• Defy will now taunt enemies while Wukong and his clone gain temporary invulnerability with reduced movement speed. All damage is captured, stored, and dealt back in a single furious long range staff spin attack.
  • Based on the amount of damage prevented by Defy, Wukong and his clone will receive a temporary armour buff.
  • Press ability again to trigger spin early.

Reasons for changes: Previously, Defy’s invulnerability was not very interactive. This change features invulnerability while encouraging more tactical, active, and interesting gameplay techniques. As many of us used Defy to be immortal, it simply was too much of a set-it-and-forget it ability. Changing it to still offer invulnerability is important to us, and strengthening the rest of his Abilities makes up for the loss of complete god mode.

RMBUp9uOSXj5ABxEkQjqj79KfmxH7a7eijY_p5xL

Primal Fury

• Primal Fury will feature a new specialized and streamlined combo for Wukong’s legendary Iron Staff. As a preview of the upcoming Melee 3.0 system, Wukong’s Primal Fury uses new combo routes with simplified inputs providing a safe, limited space to try out coming releases.
  • Damage for Wukong and his clone is redistributed for a more powerful feel, with a much higher status chance, larger base range, and some slash.
  • Casting no longer holds Wukong in place. With new energy requirements, the cast cost of Primal Fury was lowered but cast drain was increased to be turned off and on as desired.
  • Animation has been trimmed.
  • The range of Wukong’s Iron Staff is always long, comparable to top range Zaws, and no longer needs to build combo to scale range.

Reasons for changes: When Primal Fury was initially used previously, it felt weak due to short range and after some use felt strong. These changes will enable a stronger, more exciting play while featuring a taste of the upcoming Melee 3.0 system.

4HP480o-yTGo8FBIT7JjMkSnqycpsdsm00cSpp-z

Passive

• 5 Levels of Immortality: Wukong has learned 5 techniques to avoid death whenever he takes fatal damage. Wukong will be randomly allowed 3 of these techniques per mission to avoid death 3 times. Each technique will make Wukong invulnerable for 2 seconds, restore 50% health, and provide a unique buff.
    1. Primal Forces: Triple elemental damage for 60 seconds
    2. Heavenly Cloak: Invisibility for 30 seconds
    3. Cosmic Armour: Invulnerable for 30 seconds
    4. Monkey Luck: Extra loot drops for 60 seconds
    5. Sly Alchemy: Orbs 4x more effective for 60 seconds

Augments

• Celestial Twin Augment: Replacing Iron Vault, Wukong will command his clone to perform a wide radius slam, suspending enemies.
  • Enveloping Cloud: No planned changes.
  • Primal Rage: Increased cap from 100 to 150%, increased bonus per kill from 10% to 15%. Drain now scales with duration, so the higher Wukong’s duration, the slower it drains, and when Wukong gets a kill the drain stops for 5 seconds.

Right now, Wukong is one of our less utilized Warframes. We hope that these changes will create a more interesting and engaging playing experience for current Wukong mains while helping this trickster find his way into the hearts of future fans. To celebrate the changes, all players who currently own Wukong will receive 3 Forma!

We’re really excited to share these early stages, but keep in mind that everything listed is still subject to change prior to release! Please feel free to share your constructive feedback and thoughts below on the developments coming to The Monkey King. As Lotus once said, “Everybody's got something to hide, Tenno. Except Wukong.”

*Wukong will be disabled in Conclave after his Revisit has launched until the team can properly balance him for the Conclave gamemode.

Please don't change anything, except passive because i think that it should be 5 buffs after taking fatal damage instead of 3 per mission.

8 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

No no, I said it references his boots, literally named Cloud walking boots.

My mistake I was trying to go from memory instead of rereading the comment's and ultimately still had to go back and reread. *insert you played yourself meme*

Archived