Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does profanity filter work?

Jorujo_

I will make it quick because it's really simple:

I was decorating the dojo and writing on a "Tributa statue" until it said "Cannot have profanity in your text projector"................. i just wrote "Sala principale" that in italian mean "Main hall".... DE why?!

"principale" was the banned word, maybe because in another lenguage means something else? 

I am sure it's not only this word and there are many other with the same problem, does someone else has the same problem?

it does but does not contain all languages.

French canadians swearing as far as i know is not covered at all since i saw tenno with literaly curse words as their name ^.^ 

But on the other hands some words seems to be bad and in multiple language they are not ^.^ 

Edited by trunks013
  • Like 1

The profanity filter is only for chat and doesn't prevent popups like what you got or even bans.

The only thing it does is replace some words (in chat only) with asterisks, but even words not covered by the profanity filter (like "ass", so "assassin" is affected) will give popups like the one you encountered.

It's a pretty absurd system, tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jorujo_ said:

I will make it quick because it's really simple:

I was decorating the dojo and writing on a "Tributa statue" until it said "Cannot have profanity in your text projector"................. i just wrote "Sala principale" that in italian mean "Main hall".... DE why?!

"principale" was the banned word, maybe because in another lenguage means something else? 

I am sure it's not only this word and there are many other with the same problem, does someone else has the same problem?

Based on prior experience with profanity filters in chats, its difficult to make one that works well. 

Either you include wildcards and that results in a bunch of accidental triggers, or you try to manually create a list of all the possible ways that someone might write the words, including all the ways that people will try to use to circumvent the filters which, is pretty much impossible. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Based on prior experience with profanity filters in chats, its difficult to make one that works well. 

Either you include wildcards and that results in a bunch of accidental triggers, or you try to manually create a list of all the possible ways that someone might write the words, including all the ways that people will try to use to circumvent the filters which, is pretty much impossible. 

...or you put it in the hands of the players and allow them to create their own filters with an option to not even have one at all.

Default list there to start with the current set of words, then people can add on if they want.

Edited by Sean

1 hour ago, Sean said:

...or you put it in the hands of the players and allow them to create their own filters with an option to not even have one at all.

Default list there to start with the current set of words, then people can add on if they want.

For the first part, I figure it is a bit of a cover your butt move, especially with regards to Canadian telecom laws. 

By having even a rudimentary filter, that they can show was updated as needed to include offensive terms that may be counted as hate speech, they can show that if something bad happened in their game, it wasn't anything they condone or permitted. 

Regarding a personal filter that we can add to, I am under the impression that one probably does exist for chat, but I have never gone looking for it. (Filter or not, typing is a pain when using controllers, and putting fools on ignore is just so much easier.) 

Just now, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

For the first part, I figure it is a bit of a cover your butt move, especially with regards to Canadian telecom laws. 

By having even a rudimentary filter, that they can show was updated as needed to include offensive terms that may be counted as hate speech, they can show that if something bad happened in their game, it wasn't anything they condone or permitted. 

Regarding a personal filter that we can add to, I am under the impression that one probably does exist for chat, but I have never gone looking for it. (Filter or not, typing is a pain when using controllers, and putting fools on ignore is just so much easier.) 

Both are still covered within my suggestion and aren't any more difficult on the player-side of things than what is already implemented.

By default, the same filter we know of today would be enabled and could still be updated by DE.

The only thing that differs is that a player could actually have it on and have it affect everything, so that would include weapon names, chat, and even the text visible in dojo.

Basically wherever text can load in for a player would pass through a filter and be changed, thus preventing a need for players to have to see it.

To take it a step further, If it is in a text-chat, players could even given an option on HOW removals are handled, so that could be from either switching to a static-amount of asterisks (so a 4 letter world could still be shown as **) or even just removing the full line of chat. Even going so far as to auto-ignore users who trigger that individuals filter.

Then on top of all of that, players could add words into their own list, ones that are unique to their language or ones that wouldn't really work within a "global" filter applied to all players. People can still be reported as normal.

Other players that don't really care about what is said in text could then be given an option to turn off this the entire profanity filter. People shouldn't have to try and figure out why their normal word is being blocked like what was mentioned in the OP.

People should be given the tools to defend themselves instead of having this overbearing and overreaching system that is also very ineffective in anything non-English.

It all boils down to effort though... and this area is not something DE has ever been keen on improving.