Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Elemental warframes

Collin5Z

So I've been playing for a while and had many questions for this game which are left unanswered, but one that still bugs me is how come elemental frames like Frost and Ember, aren't resistant to their elemental attributes. Some might say is because it will cause them to have an advantage over other frames, but isn't the differentiation what makes each frame unique? Even though this is a sci-fi game, i just thought it doesn't make sense how Ember can inflict heat damage, but then can also suffer  from heat procs? 

2 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

why should they be resistant?

its a pretty common trope that a fire based creature or person is also immune to fire.

Full resistance might be too gambreaking, but some form of damage and/or time reduction in the proc could work.

Just now, lukinu_u said:

As a man who can punch things, are you immunite to punchs ?

No, but frost and ember are more like  elemental beings. They seem to be made of or fueled by their element, they aren’t just wielding it. Lighting the Human Torch on fire probably wouldn’t work very well, for example.

4 minutes ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

its a pretty common trope that a fire based creature or person is also immune to fire.

It's also an entirely arbitrary one which DE is free to ignore wholesale at their discretion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

frost and ember are more like  elemental beings. They seem to be made of or fueled by their element, they aren’t just wielding it

[citation needed]

They seem no different to me than other Frames, they can shape Void Energy into certain forms, that's it. *shrug*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

No, but frost and ember are more like  elemental beings. They seem to be made of or fueled by their element, they aren’t just wielding it. Lighting the Human Torch on fire probably wouldn’t work very well, for example.

Not quite. While they do have the ability to manipulate said elements, they are still made from the same flesh that every other Warframe is. They're not comparable to Elementals from something like the Might and Magic series where they are literally made from said element.

Edited by RX-3DR

2 minutes ago, (NSW)Fiftycentis said:

A passive like that for frost/ember/volt would be mostly useless considering the sources of that elements, while saryn resistance to toxin would be too strong

Most passives are pretty useless, at least elemental resistance would be thematically consistent.  

As for toxin resistance, yeah, it would be OP, so maybe just add a slight resistance to it, not necessarily a complete negation.

2 minutes ago, RX-3DR said:

Not quite. While they do have the ability to manipulate said elements, they are still made from the same flesh that every other Warframe is. They're not comparable to Elementals from something like the Might and Magic series where they are literally made from said element.

True but they have exhibited some control over these elements. Wouldn't be much of a stretch that they can psssively reduce the incoming damage of their very own element or even because they are adapted to them already.

1 minute ago, Rawbeard said:

they really are not

Says who? I think this really comes down to what the concept of the frames makes you imagine.

Are the elemental frames like the Human Torch and Mr Freeze, or are they just regular dudes with specialized weapons like Captain Cold and Heat Wave?

For some people, Ember being more like the human torch makes more sense.

The ability for Frost and Ember to control their respective elements comes from the Void. Void Energy provided by the operator through transference allows for the warframe to create the element. Through this logic you could argue that every warframe should be able to use any warframe ability then, but I personally believe Ballas designed this flaw so each of his creations should be used during the ideal situation. 

Just now, TheInternetGuy said:

True but they have exhibited some control over these elements. Wouldn't be much of a stretch that they can psssively reduce the incoming damage of their very own element or even because they are adapted to them already.

Once again, they are made from the same cloth of other frames, so the idea of them being resistant from a pseudo-biological standpoint doesn't quite work. Meanwhile, just because you can create a ring of fire doesn't mean you can manipulate the flame from a flamethrower to mitigate damage. As for why their abilities don't harm themselves, namely, why wouldn't Ember kill herself from running through her own flames can be chalked up to gameplay reasons to avoid the game becoming a horrible self-kill mess.

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

Says who? I think this really comes down to what the concept of the frames makes you imagine.

Are the elemental frames like the Human Torch and Mr Freeze, or are they just regular dudes with specialized weapons like Captain Cold and Heat Wave?

Pretty sure what 'Frames are made of is spelled out in no uncertain terms in the lore - meaning assorted high-tech materials and bionics, domesticated Infestation and people (though one imagines the Oros switched to blank clones or whatever as soon as the techniques allowed for practical supply-side reasons) - tho. The assorted Void Magic tomfoolery comes from the Operators.

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

This does make sense. In fact it makes a lot of sense. 

The only reason keeping this from being true is that every warframe shell is physically made from the same material. As far as we know, there is nothing else besides sentients that can truly adapt to elemental damage.

As for why their abilities don't harm themselves, namely, why wouldn't Ember kill herself from running through her own flames can be chalked up to gameplay reasons to avoid the game becoming a horrible self-kill mess.

And just because say Ember has the Required Secondary Powers to avoid self-immolation doesn't mean she can also automagically do diddly squat about that blowtorch a Grineer is jamming into her face - the latter not exactly being part of her own powers after all.

1 minute ago, (XB1)A Excal Umbra said:

This does make sense. In fact it makes a lot of sense. 

The only reason keeping this from being true is that every warframe shell is physically made from the same material. As far as we know, there is nothing else besides sentients that can truly adapt to elemental damage.

Good point. But if the ever make a Warframe movie they’ll have to add some lines explaining why Ember can be hurt by fire.

Well you can put in Arcanes to do that, or mods. If you like to mod thematically like I do, I utilize them even though in performance they are not min-maxed. Not that I care about min-maxing personally. I think that what makes elemental Warframes more distinct from one another is when they do something with their respective element, but that does not necessarily translate to damage resistance to that element.

4 minutes ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

Good point. But if the ever make a Warframe movie they’ll have to add some lines explaining why Ember can be hurt by fire.

Easy explanation. All warframes are mindless infested flesh wrapped in a hard cand...alloy shell. The void energy that causes alterations in reality are the operator, not the frame.

And this will be the lore until we get another self controlled frame like Umbra was who can actively use their powers without the operator. All Umbra could do was scream and melee.

They're the ones making and manipulating the elements and not Ember, Volt, etc. So if anyone were immune to the element, it would be them. We'll find out if they ever really come out of the pod to fight instead of sending a psychic construct that fizzles in just a few hits.

Since it is a limited number of frames that actually fit the "aspect of elements" theme I dont see the harm in if they were to be immune to the status of the elements aswell as naturaly resistant to the damage type aswell. I mean the different Eximus units already have that mechanic, why shouldnt the frame who are more advanced not have the same?

And we are really talking about 3 frames here, Frost, Ember and Volt. Saryn shouldnt count because toxin isnt an element, nor is she a pure toxin frame.

I can really see the other 3 bending those elements with the powers of the void in any way they like.

13 minutes ago, RX-3DR said:

Once again, they are made from the same cloth of other frames, so the idea of them being resistant from a pseudo-biological standpoint doesn't quite work. Meanwhile, just because you can create a ring of fire doesn't mean you can manipulate the flame from a flamethrower to mitigate damage. As for why their abilities don't harm themselves, namely, why wouldn't Ember kill herself from running through her own flames can be chalked up to gameplay reasons to avoid the game becoming a horrible self-kill mess.

There are a couple of other warframes that withstand their own powers like saryn and nova. A poison so potent, almost nothing can stand in its way. Anti-matter which which goes boom when it gets into contact with matter.

I mean long arms man is dum but it just seem counterintuitive to make a frame that possibly gets killed from using their own abilities. It's like making a knife's handle also sharp.