Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are leechers in ESO and hydron actually that bad?

Argeoyn

Here's what I found on wiki about affinity:

The general rule: 25% of the amount goes to your Warframe and 75% of the amount is divided evenly among all equipped weapons (25% each for three, 37.5% each for two, or the full 75% if only one is equipped).

Kill an enemy with a Warframe ability. All of the Affinity goes to the Warframe.

Be near an allied Tenno when they kill an enemy. When within 50 meters of an ally when they kill an enemy, you gain the same total Affinity, distributed according to the general rule specified above.

With these mechanics isn't it actually better if you get all the kills (while farming with leechers) and get your focus lens-installed warframe the maximum exp/focus possible (100%), compared to when your teammates are also killing the enemies (25% exp/focus to your warframe per teammate kill)? I personally would be happy to farm focus in ESO with leeching teammates as they won't steal my kills.

A leecher means that he is doing nothing but leeching which means he isnt doing anything to help.  Look up shared affinity.  If I am doing a bunch of kills I get no affinity for my weapons.  But other people will be killing and if I am within range I get affinity that is split up.  So if I have only leechers and I am doing all the killing via abilities then guess what it is worthless? My weapons get no affinity.  A leecher is doing nothing and in truth starting to see that DE supports leechers because the time it actually takes to report them is ridiculous.  The first day of plaguestar I had 5 different leechers.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Opetyr said:

A leecher means that he is doing nothing but leeching which means he isnt doing anything to help.  Look up shared affinity.  If I am doing a bunch of kills I get no affinity for my weapons.  But other people will be killing and if I am within range I get affinity that is split up.  So if I have only leechers and I am doing all the killing via abilities then guess what it is worthless? My weapons get no affinity.  A leecher is doing nothing and in truth starting to see that DE supports leechers because the time it actually takes to report them is ridiculous.  The first day of plaguestar I had 5 different leechers.

Well it's true if you are levelling your weapon up, but in the case where you are focus farming with nuke frames e.g. saryn (and of course you got a focus lens installed on your killer frame) then aren't leechers actually a bit profitable for the focus farmer?

Anyway I hate bounty leechers too ofc

• Like 3

Leechers are a problem not cause affectiveness. But because of their extremely lazy and toxic mindset.

If you have a leecher in your squad they are just dragging you down. You are being used by someone without the spine to do it themselves.

Leechers are worthless and pathetic.

As for focus. Hydron isnt even the best way. Also multiple lenses are just way too easy to get to matter.

• Like 19

Only time I care about leechers is when they present as capable and willing teammate and then...don't.   Beyond that, I operate under the assumption that I'm simply on the same map as 3 other people and we're just doing out own thing. 

I'm rarely disappointed with this approach. 

• Like 7

Just now, MagPrime said:

Only time I care about leechers is when they present as capable and willing teammate and then...don't.   Beyond that, I operate under the assumption that I'm simply on the same map as 3 other people and we're just doing out own thing. 

I'm rarely disappointed with this approach. 

Until you find out you can disappoint yourself :P.

The only time leeches erk me are bounties , The ones who join bounties,  and fish or mine not contributing to bounties ,  yet still get the rewards / rep  from everyone else doing bounty while  all they did was  greedily resource farm.... could care less  about affinity or spawns ,  Its when a Leech get MORE rewards than actual participants that it erks me

• Like 7

Sometimes people with low rank gear actually mod them to contribute. I've gone in missions with unranked stuff and contributed with a good size kill count. And such people often know the limits of low rank gear and don't take them beyond their capacity to be effective. Also, some people are like MR 27 and gear rank doesn't matter at all since they can practically fit all the important mods in from the get-go. Gear rank doesn't mean anything when such players join your game. If you see an MR 27 player with unranked gear, they are probably not leeching (unless they AFK).

For everything that is unranked, except for gear with several forma or stupidly high MR, you are probably leeching if you decide to start with ESO or T3 Defense like Hydron. Shame on you! Just my opinion...

The worse leeches are those who leech in the Index. I'm forgiving of those who need level grinding and stuff to some extant*, but if yer not gonna help in the index then yer just a jerk.

*Personally there are plenty of nice people who play Warframe. Just ask and I'm sure someone will carry you through level grinding. I feel it's best to ask these kind of things then just jump in and then do nothing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, (PS4)OverlordMikey said:

The worse leeches are those who leech in the Index. I'm forgiving of those who need level grinding and stuff to some extant*, but if yer not gonna help in the index then yer just a jerk.

Had an MR 3 person join high index yesterday. They had 0 kills and 11 deaths after 1 round. It's really a grey zone in that instance cause they're not contributing, but they're not afk either.

On topic I only have an issue when someone is leeching AND they're on a frame that doesn't contribute unless they actively play. An Octavia that throws her 4 down and then just teabags in the corner is fine. The worst kind of leechers though are Limbos. Throws 4 on the point and then sits in the rift in the corner. Have had it happen often enough that I watch any limbo on my team for the first couple waves to see if they're actually killing stuff. If they aren't that's a hard bounce at wave 5.

Yes. First of all it is in violation of terms of service and user guidelines. It is essentially cheating and exploitation of others. Additionally it is almost never, and I mean never agreed upon by the rest of the players whose time is wasted because one player wasn't doing their part to progress missions faster. It is one thing if some new player has low participation because they do not yet have all the tools and knowledge to perform on the same level as long term players already do, at least they try, but leechers are strictly, exclusively and purely simply selfish. In Hydron the range of the map is small enough to benefit from other players contribution for majority of the map, which is why it is popular for exp farming in the first place due to its small size. In Plains of Eidolon players do not go there to level but to grind Ostron reputation and material rewards from the bounties, exp is never a factor in the first place.

In the event that players in clan or friends cover for a trusted friend when they have a bathroom break, that is one thing as it is merely temporary and agreed upon. But this does not apply to any other scenario of leeching, which overwhelmingly in clear majority is simply one player exploiting others and cheating the game for personal game. In no workplace, social sphere or any other cultural, social, intellectual or economic area of life would such behavior be tolerated. So why would it be here? There is objectively no excuse for that behavior.

Edited by BETAOPTICS
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, moostar95 said:

Sure, but I've been camping in eso for a year and never got reported on. Maybe if eso wasn't made so awfully. Less leeches would be camping. Either way, it's all DE's fault.

That is kind of like saying if people weren't so careless with their online security, you would not hack their personal information. Or people wouldn't have their cars stolen if they didn't leave them on unguarded on the street.

Nah mate, that is your choice to leech or not to leech. You genuinely think other players who play the game always do it because they think the mode is just ideal in every way? No, they play because regardless of their opinion on different modes, they aren't selfish people. If someone is then fine, that is what that person is like, but that is still them and their choice to be like. And they should not be surprised that one day someone will look at their afk leeching and report them to the support to get temporary bans, that is the choice they consciously made and willingly participated in after all.

You can be assured and guaranteed that I absolutely will 100% document and report any afk leecher who ignores warnings over extended period of time and continues on their toxicity. That isn't merely some new player or temporary emergency break, that is a player knowingly and willingly participated in the practice of exploitation and that comes along with responsibility. They get banned? Good. Good riddance, they will not be missed. Not my problem.

Edited by BETAOPTICS
  • Like 2

Well for hydron, it isn't that bad. It's mostly bad because you end up doing all the work and while they get a crap ton of xp (general xp rule), for your kills 50% goes to the weapon and 50% goes to the warframe. Giving you less xp for your weapon. In ESO it's even worse, wanna know why? Because in places like Hydron and Helene, enemy spawns are limited, but in ESO they're infinite. Meaning there's no limit to the amount that spawn, so the more kills, the more spawn. Which is the problem, when you don't kill in ESO less enemies spawn and you get less xp.

leeching would probably be less prominent of a problem if the affinity system wasn't accidentally designed in a way that being next to someone killing was often more effective affinity than actually playing the game yourself. Some examples of it get REALLY bad, like companions, where ally kills are pretty much the only way of leveling them in any reasonable timeframe because your own kills generate nothing.

SO/ESO were then designed in a way where the blatantly preferred method of play was to rely almost entirely on constant map-wide nuke frames, which is something even DE has often noted and nerfed things over due to how bad of a gameplay paradigm it tends to present for everyone else in the squad. And then... designed a game mode almost entirely for it after they abandoned all of dynamic concepts they'd had planned for it, along with abandoning their plans for a reworked focus gain system and just shoving bonus focus gains onto that now mindless killspam mode.

still, the least people can do is "leech" as a support or relevant buff frame. trinity or roar rhino or whatever.

Edited by OvisCaedo

3 hours ago, Opetyr said:

Yes, with one thing-if you play Saryn and have good build, barely anyone would kill mobs anyway

I’ve only encountered maybe 3 to 5 leechers throughout 500 hours of my gameplay. I don’t really get mad and actually laugh a bit at how unapologetic these people are(but I’m not condoning/supporting there actions either). They haven’t really annoyed me yet because I’ve only met them in missions where despite them not helping, my team can pull through the mission with ease.

16 minutes ago, moostar95 said:

Sure, but it's not going to fix the issues people have with ONE FRAME carrying a mode. With video proof btw. This mode is a joke and if you want to keep defending uncooperative tactics. Then fine, ban me. But until DE fixes this issue of frames having no synergy with each other throughout the last few years. I'll keep doing so. 

Do you think it is designed to address and fix that specific issue? No. So why expect it would? Anti-leeching measures are designed only to prevent leeching. Mode design is intended to provide alternatives for players who seek other kind of motivations from the game. We can debate the merits of different modes and how well DE has succeeded in their intended designs but that is a different discussion altogether. Same goes to team synergy which I do agree I wish there were more of but also understand that current playerbase focus and motivation is informed by other factors such as effectiveness of killing (which I find boring but hey, that is the meta currently) and also this is another discussion for another thread.

• Like 2

There are ways to 'leech' without harming your teammates experience and I do it all the time and as a mr26 I'm never questioned because my team knows that I'm capable of pulling my weight if needed. Bringing a Spova/Rhino to Hydron or a Limbo to a mobile defence/excavation is a good way to leech while also contributing, but bringing Loki and all unranked gear to ESO and camping in a corner while spamming invisibility and doing nothing else? That's a problem and I hope you get crushed by a meteorite because that's how much you disgust me with your existence