Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

1500 Hours, 10 Months: An Belated Open Letter Of Resignation.

Ced23Ric

Dear Community, DE,

As of the 17th of September 2013, I have officially resigned from my position as Community Moderator. I will no longer conduct any such activities and am no longer privy to preview information coming with that position. My resignation was made after it was brought to my attention that my behaviour is not desired and that my lack of experience in game design makes my demands for changes inappropriate.

Preluding to this resignation were two different occasions where I was asking for answers that could not be provided and I was asking for the backup of DE concerning the multitude of verbal abuse that came with the position. Debating resignation there, chats were had and time-outs were taken. Sworn back in, after a considerable break, I got back in the saddle. Nevertheless, during that time I also expressed my impression that Warframe is becoming more and more disheartening.

We have now experienced two isolated occasions where we were not told the truth, but evasive statements. First were the Defense and Void droprates of yore, now the Droprates for the Void, again. Interpreted commentary was responded to with "It's just pool dilution", yet the datamined values emerging from reddit show that the drop rates have been nerfed, considerably, and the new parts are at chances of 0.67%.

In the lights of the ongoing dissatisfaction of many experienced veterans and new players alike, I felt that it was imparative to summarize and deliver concise reports on the state of the community, starting in June. With compiled reports with crosslinks and abstracts, I was hoping to feed the developers the questions needed to hear the community among the noise that any community of this size produces. The responses were either evasive, omitted or paroles we have heard multiple times. I started dragging these elements into the next report, hoping for answers in the next cycle. Eventually, I gave up writing these reports.

I remember U5/U6, when the community was small and I sparked a "Why the Stunlock as a core mechanic?" debate. It didn't go anywhere, but got swamped instead. Stunlock is still a core mechanic and we are getting mediocre mods as a reply. Instead of a broken mechanic being used in a better way, we are still getting up like old men, which was the joke of many a livestream. "Haha, Rollers."

At this point, I can only say my thanks to the people who helped me with their reports, feel grateful for those who I could help find their way without breaking the rules, and I can only apologize to those I had to reprimand according to the forum rules. Personally, I have lost the hope that it only needs someone to scrounge the forums for DE and deliver the summed up feelings to make a change.

1000 hours played.
350 hours moderated.
150 hours translated.

You have 63 working days from me, and 150 days played. I have been here since 23rd of December. just like Rebecca said: "You have been here for it all." And now, today, with all this being abuzz, I am drained and somewhat relieved that I resigned when I was approached in the above described manner. I feel taken for granted, unheard and am offended - as a player and as a former team member of sorts.

Good luck to Tulzscha who stepped into the ring a day before I resigned. All the best to Sandra, Killerkarpfen and Timo, three German fellows who are now living in Canada with DE. All my best to Mark, Matt and Glen, for their time in support. I know there is more people, but you guys, I interacted with amicably and felt both listened to and understood. Last but not least, good luck, Rebecca and Megan. You are in a tough spot. Regardless of it all, I hope you can swing this around.

And Steve, as a personal note: I am sorry. It seems that you either need to find answers you don't have or you are making things up to cover a different agenda. Regardless of where it is, it is sad to see and disappoints me. No value on that remark. Yet, telling me that you are sorry that I feel slighted is just ... inappropriate. I do not feel slighted. I feel, as a customer and supporter, played and led astray. When attempting to provide feedback, I feel that you are attempting to dismantle it, instead of "internalizing", as you call it. If DEHQ would internalize the pain people are feeling, we would never see a Clantech that requires a week of Foundry sitting. No one wants that.

Forcing someone over a wall because the thing they want is behind it is fine. Putting the wall higher and higher, to the point where the challenge is no longer fun, but chore is not.

Kind Regards,
Ced.

Addendum: I am not leaving, I am merely laying down office as a Com Mod. I will continue to assist the translation team for the German parts, and I will continue to play as long as I have a single key or bit of Platinum left in my account. I will not make frther expenditures towards Warframe until I see a major change in policy, in PR, development and communications.

Edited by Ced23Ric

So.. are you leaving? :o

Addendum: I am not leaving, I am merely laying down office as a Com Mod. I will continue to assist the translation team for the German parts, and I will continue to play as long as I have a single key or bit of Platinum left in my account. I will not make frther expenditures towards Warframe until I see a major change in policy, in PR, development and communications.

Yeah, we were in the game around the same time, it's kind of disheartening to see that the things I feel regarding the game and it's evolution is not just my grim view of things, but also something that is shared by people with more info and an overview of the game itself.

Hope things change, it's a pity you had to take this resolution.

Sorry to hear things turned out the way they did dude. I'm not the most active forum member, but your posts always seemed to cut through the bs and highlight what matters. Having a community moderator who's on the side of the community is a special thing and I hope your successors bear that in mind,

Thanks for all your work man. Now take a well-deserved break.

Addendum: I am not leaving, I am merely laying down office as a Com Mod. I will continue to assist the translation team for the German parts, and I will continue to play as long as I have a single key or bit of Platinum left in my account. I will not make further* expenditures towards Warframe until I see a major change in policy, in PR, development and communications.

After warframe gets better with the things, hopefully soon as Rebecca said, you're gonna come back to your ComMod job?

Its always a sad way to see a Mod have to leave under alot of extenuating circumstances, but I understand DE's positions on alot of things as well.

The game will live on, as will the community, but thats not to say you wont be missed, Heres to a great term as a mod, and a supportive player. Cheers.

I appreciate the time you've taken making these forums a place to offer feedback, to discuss the game, and to put forth important news, as well as ensuring that the forums are accessible and usable by all. It is sad to see you leaving the team, but I also feel that this may be your only way of putting the way you feel into actions, and for that, I salute you.

Kind of worrying that it's not just the players that are worried about the games direction, but the mods as well.

This is starting to concern me greatly. I wasn't impressed with the direction they took with U10 and now these revelations?

Oh dear. I'm not seeing this going all too well. Not too well at all.