Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ejnaer

Volt helmet

I just learned sculpting today from a 2 min youtube vid and dove right into it without an oxygen cylinder.

Geroflj.png

Any expert willing to help/finish this for me?

I'm unable to add details and smoothen the rough parts among other things that limit my potential expression. I also colored it in photoshop instead of adding texture in the 3d program.

P.S I've been willing to spend $$$ for my main but all the current tennogens for volt suck (unlike other frames).

Still rough but here's a 360. I'll probably make those thunder antennas bigger.

ryhql7m.png

On 2019-06-19 at 9:51 PM, Cyclouros said:

oh no, not the #*!%boi haircut....

made a new "haircut" just for you

XsfVoP0.png

I figured out how to use smoother lines so I made this from scratch, still not as good as I want it to be

snPdefV.png

Who's gonna halp make this into greatness?

What software are you using ?
From what I tested, most of sculpting feature in regular 3D software are not really intuitive at first and make your progression slower if don't know how to proceed (which is the case if it's your first sculpt).

I would really recommand using Sculptris if you starting. It's free, super intuitive and would let you upgrade to Zbrush easily once you need more complexe tools, as both are made by Pixologic and use the same shortcuts logic.

Also, you should take your time on the early stage of the sculpt, focus on the overall shape before detailling. Doing small detailling before having a proper shape is a common mistake as you generally want a result fast when starting. Think more about overall shapes, get intersting volumes from all angles and once you are happy with it, refine them and then, start detailling.
Reading this should help a lot :
https://www.warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=basic-art-guide

If you have a bit of drawing skills, I would recommand experiment with this on paper, as drawing is a lot faster than sculpting. If you own a graphic tablet, doing this on top of as screenshot of rough 3D shape could help, especially if you are not good with perspective.

On 2019-06-23 at 4:33 PM, lukinu_u said:

What software are you using ?
From what I tested, most of sculpting feature in regular 3D software are not really intuitive at first and make your progression slower if don't know how to proceed (which is the case if it's your first sculpt).

I would really recommand using Sculptris if you starting. It's free, super intuitive and would let you upgrade to Zbrush easily once you need more complexe tools, as both are made by Pixologic and use the same shortcuts logic.

Also, you should take your time on the early stage of the sculpt, focus on the overall shape before detailling. Doing small detailling before having a proper shape is a common mistake as you generally want a result fast when starting. Think more about overall shapes, get intersting volumes from all angles and once you are happy with it, refine them and then, start detailling.
Reading this should help a lot :
https://www.warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=basic-art-guide

If you have a bit of drawing skills, I would recommand experiment with this on paper, as drawing is a lot faster than sculpting. If you own a graphic tablet, doing this on top of as screenshot of rough 3D shape could help, especially if you are not good with perspective.

I use blender since I'm a total newbie, Zbrush threw me off with how expensive it is (they offer a free month but still). And Blender is kinda intuitive I guess? It's like molding clay in 3D but yes, my progress is incredibly delayed by how new I am...so many options and key shortcuts.

I'll check out Sculptris asap and see if it's noob-friendlier than Blender. ty for the tips!

just some constructive criticism as your new to doing 3d, for the helm design there is a lot of surface styles in your helm, but not a lot of depth

try to create some more integrated shapes  or add in some depth layers of objects

warframe has a lot of organic intermixed with hard sculpt , ive posted my own volt helm as an example if it gives you a better idea , and i hope it helps

Spoiler

DsK4VKsUUAA5vXc.jpgDsK4YsbU0AAZvUv.jpgDsK4SkLU8AAtYHP.jpgDsPFjKiVAAARSy8.jpgDsPFXAuVYAAGRVE.jpgDsPFsBQUUAACIhr.jpg

On 2019-06-26 at 11:53 PM, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

just some constructive criticism as your new to doing 3d, for the helm design there is a lot of surface styles in your helm, but not a lot of depth

try to create some more integrated shapes  or add in some depth layers of objects

warframe has a lot of organic intermixed with hard sculpt , ive posted my own volt helm as an example if it gives you a better idea , and i hope it helps

Hide contents

DsK4VKsUUAA5vXc.jpgDsK4YsbU0AAZvUv.jpgDsK4SkLU8AAtYHP.jpgDsPFjKiVAAARSy8.jpgDsPFXAuVYAAGRVE.jpgDsPFsBQUUAACIhr.jpg

I've stopped designing but depth was one of the issues I had. Also I can't see the image you linked (upload to imgur or place an url :D).

On 2019-06-29 at 5:15 PM, Ejnaer said:

I've stopped designing but depth was one of the issues I had. Also I can't see the image you linked (upload to imgur or place an url :D).

why does a helmet have a tekken character eddie gordo's hair

eddy-tag.jpg

On 2019-06-19 at 2:06 PM, Ejnaer said:

I just learned sculpting today from a 2 min youtube vid and dove right into it without an all the current tennogens for volt suck (unlike other frames).

Well this is just pure opinion. While I wouldn’t use the helm you are creating even if it was free, but the Arrester Volt helmet is my go-to on the electric wonder.  Remember when you say things like “current tennnogen for volt sucks” you are directly insulting those designers that designed, submitted and subsequently had their design approved while you are still in the sketching stages and asking for help from said designers.