Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr killed has arrived

NoLazyShadow

Both of these warframes have been Power creeped by:
- Melee Rivens
- Focus abilities + magus arcanes
- Adaptation + arcanes

It's totally fine to like them both for their Aesthetics and they do their jobs just fine, but they will unlikely become meta and do have room for improvement.

Wukong rework specifically is a big meh from me.
No teamplay = you're garbage (imo).

1 hour ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

The problem with that logic is that everything in warframe is useful because with the right load out and mods you can make anything work anywhere. 

The point OP and I were trying to make is that Valkyrs entire existence is dated because several aspects about her can be done by other kits. And said kits happen to also bring more utility compared to her. The only unique aspect of her kit is how frequent you can do finishers with her entire kit. But seeing as how there is almost no reason to ever use finishers frequently with her it's not much of a talking point. 

Valkyr was my main frame dating back to right after we stopped having to slot out abilities like mods. She still probably has the most playtime of all the frames I use despite my usage for her dropping almost completely off for over a year now. 

I adore her theme and looks. But I struggle to find reason to use her beyond the occasional novelty run. Like any other individual who has a favorite frame I'd love for her to receive some love so I have a reason to bring her out. Heck I used to exclusively use her for ranking up melees. 

I don't anymore because chroma is better at raw damage output with it and more tanky than her even in a well built eternal war build. 

I'm not asking for a total kit overhaul. I just want her to have usable utility that amounts to something for her beyond being a melee stick. 

You can say she isnt as versatile as many other frames and that other frames can do some of the things she does better. I agree with that. But again, my point in this discussion is that she is not useless/obsolete. She is still one of the best frames for survivability. Even a fully decked out Chroma cant survive better than her. I will disagree there. A well built Eternal War build makes her almost unkillable. More so if you use full umbral build on her. Especially in terms of not getting one shot by high level enemies.

Raw damage output, obviously Chroma outperforms.. but then if we're doing that, Mirage outperforms him at that.. She's basically jack of all trades, master of none, but no other frame has the kind of ability synergy that she has, other than maybe Saryn. Every one of her ability is pretty much an assist to melee playstyle. The kind you wade into a group of enemies hacking and slashing. And no one can do that better in my personal opinion.

She was literally the best frame in the whole Wolf hunt alerts. She has her uses. She's just no Saryn or Nidus is all. And not all frames have to be that. She has her place.

13 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

I'm kinda getting tired of all the calls for reworks tbh.. she doesn't need it. Some tweaks like removing immortality and changing it to 90% DR, sure, but not a full rework.

And yes, I'm against immortality.

She already has the 90% DR thanks to her armor. The immortality is a situational skill for when there are some exceptionally powerful units which will destroy you no matter how much DR you got if you got close. And her entire playstyle is focused on being close to the enemy. So the immortality channel is well placed imo.

Edited by Arkennstar
  • Like 1

I felt the same, though I kinda felt that Wukong's rework killed all the current melee exalted frame.

He has massive damage output and reach that put most to shame. Sure it doesnt reach as far as Excal or Baruuk but it all counts as actual melee attacks so builds the combo counter easily and safely at a good distance. His damage type distribution is also nicely balanced, giving him a good mix of both impact and slash procs along with corrosive if built for it. In addition to that he has his clone that also has the same reach and good damage output.

I mean the monkey is a cleave monster now.

10 hours ago, krc473 said:

Why spam an ability, or open enemies up to finishers when they die in a single shot anyway?

When they don't.  It's extremely useful at higher levels.

1 hour ago, VentiGlondi said:

The real Valkyr killer is her outdated kit

Her kit being on the more straightforward side doesn't make it "outdated".  While I wouldn't mind some quality of life stuff involving hysteria and how it reacts with weapon switching it's completely pointless doing much of anything until after the melee rework.  So much of what she does revolves around melee and there is no telling how useful that will be.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

adore her theme and looks. But I struggle to find reason to use her beyond the occasional novelty run.

Adaptation and the Umbral mods opened up a whole new world for Valkyr.  If you can't find a use for her you're doing it wrong.

i would love for Valkyr to get a 2019 kit overhaul but it is hilarious to say she is irrelevant or useless

Ripline is a great mobility power, single target abilities have never been great for damage and you should only be using ripline for mobility

Warcry scales much better with power strength than wisp's haste mote of volt's speed buff, you can get much higher melee attack speed buffs with warcry and an armor buff on top of that (an armor buff which outclasses defy's 1500 cap anyway)

Paralysis is an extremely cheap finisher opener, while it doesn't have the wide range that something like radial blind does, it costs a whole 5 energy, that's equivalent to 10 casts of radial blind, and if you want a CC ability? Warcry can slow enemies up to 75%, in some cases this is more than the average Nova is capable of

and Hysteria can 1-shot level 160 corrupted heavy units if you build it right, yes it doesn't have primal fury's range or exalted blade's sword waves, but the slide attacks can kill anything you pass through in one slide instantly anyway
here's some evidence for the 1-shot claim giphy.gif

Edited by Screamlord_Star
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, PatternistSlave said:

Her kit being on the more straightforward side doesn't make it "outdated".  While I wouldn't mind some quality of life stuff involving hysteria and how it reacts with weapon switching it's completely pointless doing much of anything until after the melee rework.  So much of what she does revolves around melee and there is no telling how useful that will be.

You're right, being straightforward doesn't make anything outdated. In fact I don't even know why you bring that up, there's no correlation

Ripline is either single-target CC that roots you in place and has a long casting time, or a parkour ability that should've been removed along with Super Jump.

Paralysis is an ability that scales with shields on a warframe that has next to no shields.

Hysteria is mess of contradicting design decisions. It's a melee ability that punishes you for turning it off if there are enemies within melee range. It's an ability that heals you when you can't take damage, and damages you when you turn it off and become vulnerable again. Also the combos are awkward but that hopefully will be addressed with the melee rework.

Valkyr is a bunch of mechanics that were new and experimental at the time of her release and they never went back to polish them.

6 minutes ago, Screamlord_Star said:

here's some evidence for the 1-shot claim

Neat, finishers can one-shot enemies. Just like with every other melee weapon.

18 minutes ago, VentiGlondi said:

Ripline is either single-target CC that roots you in place and has a long casting time, or a parkour ability that should've been removed along with Super Jump.

Paralysis is an ability that scales with shields on a warframe that has next to no shields.

Hysteria is mess of contradicting design decisions. It's a melee ability that punishes you for turning it off if there are enemies within melee range. It's an ability that heals you when you can't take damage, and damages you when you turn it off and become vulnerable again. Also the combos are awkward but that hopefully will be addressed with the melee rework.

Super Jump went because slash dash can serve the same purpose

Paralysis' damage does not matter

the default combos are awkward, but the jump attacks, slide attacks, and ability to open enemies up to finishers with charged attacks for free more than makes up for it, you also fail to understand how hysteria is supposed to be used, hysteria is not exalted blade, it is an emergency weapon and everything about it's design reflects that, its insane damage potential is excellent for taking care of problem targets you otherwise couldn't take care of quickly and safely, the invincibility + heal is to keep you on your feet when you're done with the ability, and the damage the ability does to you when you turn it off is so negligible its a non-issue, and you dont have to worry about it to begin with if you just kill everything in the room anyway

Neat, finishers can one-shot enemies. Just like with every other melee weapon.

not just enemies, the tankiest enemies at ludicrous levels, you try one-shotting level 160 enemies with anything but an exalted weapon or a CL dagger

Edited by Screamlord_Star

11 minutes ago, VentiGlondi said:

It's a fun ability and more useful than most frame's 1.

12 minutes ago, VentiGlondi said:

What?  Shields?  Are we even talking about the same frame?  It's a stun that opens enemies up to finishers.  I shouldn't have to tell you how useful that is.

13 minutes ago, VentiGlondi said:

I've never been a huge fan of the nerf, but there isn't a lot of options for giving an ability with invulnerability a heavy downside and think it's about the best that could be done.

45 minutes ago, PatternistSlave said:

What?  Shields?  Are we even talking about the same frame?  It's a stun that opens enemies up to finishers.  I shouldn't have to tell you how useful that is.

I've never been a huge fan of the nerf, but there isn't a lot of options for giving an ability with invulnerability a heavy downside and think it's about the best that could be done.

My one problem with this is that "its a fun ability" doesn't count as a valid argument for keeping a bad ability, at least imo.

3 hours ago, Arkennstar said:

You can say she isnt as versatile as many other frames and that other frames can do some of the things she does better. I agree with that. But again, my point in this discussion is that she is not useless/obsolete. She is still one of the best frames for survivability. Even a fully decked out Chroma cant survive better than her. I will disagree there. A well built Eternal War build makes her almost unkillable. More so if you use full umbral build on her. Especially in terms of not getting one shot by high level enemies.

We'll just argue in circles here as what we define as "useless/obsolete" are different things.  Your point is that she can still do things.  My point isn't that she can't.  My point is that she doesn't do enough.

Raw damage output, obviously Chroma outperforms.. but then if we're doing that, Mirage outperforms him at that.. She's basically jack of all trades, master of none, but no other frame has the kind of ability synergy that she has, other than maybe Saryn. Every one of her ability is pretty much an assist to melee playstyle. The kind you wade into a group of enemies hacking and slashing. And no one can do that better in my personal opinion.

She was literally the best frame in the whole Wolf hunt alerts. She has her uses. She's just no Saryn or Nidus is all. And not all frames have to be that. She has her place.

No.  Jack of all frames are frames like oberon or whisp.  Valkyr is a melee frame that has a little cc built in.  Wukong is a better melee frame.  Her being the best at a limited time thing doesn't really seem to support your point well imho.  I'm not asking her to be like them.  I'm asking for her style to be flushed out more smartly and be given some sort of utility.

She already has the 90% DR thanks to her armor. The immortality is a situational skill for when there are some exceptionally powerful units which will destroy you no matter how much DR you got if you got close. And her entire playstyle is focused on being close to the enemy. So the immortality channel is well placed imo.

False.  Her armor isn't 90% DR.  Gara has 90% DR as well as Mesa.  Armor is bypassed by enemies that proc slash in higher end content and puncture also hurts it greatly.  Adaptation helps to a degree.  but she's by no means anywhere close to the tankiest people in the game.

1 hour ago, PatternistSlave said:

When they don't.  It's extremely useful at higher levels.

being able to OHK a single target<being able to delete a group of enemies in a few seconds.  If her finishers actually gave her something in return then you could attach tangible value.  Being able to delete irrelevant content enemies isn't a bonus worth mentioning when pretty much any strong weapon can with the right loadout.

Argument has nothing to do with how complex or lack of her kit is.  You're just fluffing.

Adaptation and the Umbral mods opened up a whole new world for Valkyr.  If you can't find a use for her you're doing it wrong.

Boy howdy i'd sure love it if people could give actual responses and explanations rather than standing on a stool downtalking me.  Cause it would be nice to actually have a conversation.

1 hour ago, Screamlord_Star said:

i would love for Valkyr to get a 2019 kit overhaul but it is hilarious to say she is irrelevant or useless

Ripline is a great mobility power, single target abilities have never been great for damage and you should only be using ripline for mobility

At best rip line lets you extend your parkour movement.  Like accidentally expending your air roll early so you use ripline to sling shot back up instead of falling into a pit.  Doesn't make it a good mobility tool though.  Cloud walker is better.

Warcry scales much better with power strength than wisp's haste mote of volt's speed buff, you can get much higher melee attack speed buffs with warcry and an armor buff on top of that (an armor buff which outclasses defy's 1500 cap anyway)

Yeah but you reach a point where having too much attack speed actually becomes a detriment for performing combos and you end up with weird situations like meleeing repeatedly over an enemy because you're floating off an incline.  (something Valkyr experiences far too often.)  Also you're heavily cherry picking kits.  Warcry might be better individually in those regards.  But whisp ends up being a better melee frame because she gets consistent access to stealth multipliers and very easily can abuse condition overload.  Wukong might not be as beefy in the armor value but he has much better CC overall with the ability to OHK groups of enemies with defy.  Not to mention his invulnerability and healing put him at a far less risk than Valk.

Paralysis is an extremely cheap finisher opener, while it doesn't have the wide range that something like radial blind does, it costs a whole 5 energy, that's equivalent to 10 casts of radial blind, and if you want a CC ability? Warcry can slow enemies up to 75%, in some cases this is more than the average Nova is capable of

Finishers aren't really great in general.  We have plenty of weapons and setups that let us mass delete crowds of enemies in almost no time at all.  Warcry's slow is a one time usage.  You can't actively abuse it unless you build for short duration and ignore her eternal war augment.  Also both are capped at slowing enemies at 75%  Telling me that she might slow enemies harder than a rando nova in a pub match is very much stretching your position.

and Hysteria can 1-shot level 160 corrupted heavy units if you build it right, yes it doesn't have primal fury's range or exalted blade's sword waves, but the slide attacks can kill anything you pass through in one slide instantly anyway
here's some evidence for the 1-shot claim -snip-

160 enemies are irrelevant.

Super Jump went because slash dash can serve the same purpose

It also went because Parkour 2.0 eclipses it.  Same with ripline.  The only difference being ripline can pull enemies where super jump was literally just movement.

Paralysis' damage does not matter

Which side steps the point being made.  why have a frame that doesn't care about shields have some of their ability effected by it?  It shouldn't be a thing.

the default combos are awkward, but the jump attacks, slide attacks, and ability to open enemies up to finishers with charged attacks for free more than makes up for it, you also fail to understand how hysteria is supposed to be used, hysteria is not exalted blade, it is an emergency weapon and everything about it's design reflects that, its insane damage potential is excellent for taking care of problem targets you otherwise couldn't take care of quickly and safely, the invincibility + heal is to keep you on your feet when you're done with the ability, and the damage the ability does to you when you turn it off is so negligible its a non-issue, and you dont have to worry about it to begin with if you just kill everything in the room anyway

not just enemies, the tankiest enemies at ludicrous levels, you try one-shotting level 160 enemies with anything but an exalted weapon or a CL dagger

I'll have to heavily disagree.  Being able to delete a single enemy doesn't make up for the wonkyness of her melee.  that's just silly.  And excalibur isn't meant to constantly run around in exalted blade either.  So either you're just again trying to fluff up your argument again (which most of the following lines after exactly are.) and/or you don't understand Excal's design.  Or you're just misrepresenting to make your argument look better.  

Fun isn't a legitimate reason to not improve a lackluster ability.  And that's factually false.  I've argued this exact point before.  But we're farrrrr past the days of having 1's be terrible.  Most of them in the game either provide a very strong effect (Baruuk's ability to not take damage, nova's tankieness, or Khora's whip.)  OR they're the basis to the kit's entire setup.  (whisps buffs, Nidus's stack building, rev's thralls, etc.)  You'd be very hard pressed to find a 1 that is even comparable to Valks.  I'm sure you could make an argument for a handful.  But there are more good 1's than bad 1's.

Which is side stepping the original point being made by the person you are responding to.  Which was the illogical nature of the second half of the ability.

Wukong has invulnerability in 3 places of his kit.  Nidus has it built into his passive.  Both are done in a far more smart design.  DE increased the drain because her current design is limited and they couldn't be asked to redo her a second time.  Her downsides for her ability is potentially lethal damage if she leaves her 4 without killing the enemies around her and it has terrible range.  At the very least they could have given her 4 some interaction that tempers the ramping drain.  Like performing finishers.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

We'll just argue in circles here as what we define as "useless/obsolete" are different things.  Your point is that she can still do things.  My point isn't that she can't.  My point is that she doesn't do enough.

Exactly.. as I said before, people can argue forever and get nowhere on the forums.. You feel she's useless/obsolete, fine, thats your opinion. I use her quite effectively in just about every high level mission other than Defense since thats the one thing she cant do. For endurance survivals, kuva survivals, floods, etc she's my go to frame and I've never had a complaint. I usually outdps most people in squads other than dedicated nuke frames, rarely get downed.. I dunno what more I could want from a frame. So I dont really see your point. She's fine, great even. My personal opinion ofcourse and thats all I wanted to state :)

5 minutes ago, Arkennstar said:

Exactly.. as I said before, people can argue forever and get nowhere on the forums.. You feel she's useless/obsolete, fine, thats your opinion. I use her quite effectively in just about every high level mission other than Defense since thats the one thing she cant do. For endurance survivals, kuva survivals, floods, etc she's my go to frame and I've never had a complaint. I usually outdps most people in squads other than dedicated nuke frames, rarely get downed.. I dunno what more I could want from a frame. So I dont really see your point. She's fine, great even. My personal opinion ofcourse and thats all I wanted to state 🙂

I guess i'm glad that you're content with her and have lots of fun with her.  

1 hour ago, (PS4)ErydisTheLucario said:

My one problem with this is that "its a fun ability" doesn't count as a valid argument for keeping a bad ability, at least imo.

Why not?  Fun is what games are supposed to be.

15 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Argument has nothing to do with how complex or lack of her kit is.

Sure sounded like it did to me.

16 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Being able to delete irrelevant content enemies isn't a bonus

If we're just going to call anything higher than starchart "irrelevant content" then every ability for every frame is pointless. Can clear starchart with any decent weapon.

22 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Boy howdy i'd sure love it if people could give actual responses and explanations rather than standing on a stool downtalking me.  Cause it would be nice to actually have a conversation.

I thought it was pretty self explanatory.  Need my entire build?

26 minutes ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Both are done in a far more smart design.

Both have more limited invincibility and the nerf did essentially exactly the same for Valkyr while leaving it somewhat viable to be played like she used to be.  Win win.

26 minutes ago, PatternistSlave said:

And yet fun isn't the only thing to consider when designing.

Sure sounded like it did to me.

That's a you problem.

If we're just going to call anything higher than starchart "irrelevant content" then every ability for every frame is pointless. Can clear starchart with any decent weapon.

And this is misrepresenting my statement.  pinnicle content pits players at most against level 100 enemies.  So it being able to OHK enemies that players do not regularly face let alone content DE themselves ignores isn't relevant.

I thought it was pretty self explanatory.  Need my entire build?

No.  You need to actually explain your statement instead of thinking the person you're discussing things with knows exactly what you want them to understand.

Both have more limited invincibility and the nerf did essentially exactly the same for Valkyr while leaving it somewhat viable to be played like she used to be.  Win win.

Neither of them need to be invincible any longer than they already have.  And this completely side steps what I stated initially.  Which was the fact that DE has already shown that they can give Warframes the ability to be invincible without having to overly stack said ability with negatives.  You yourself fully admitted to not being a fan of the nerf.  So I don't know why you're defending it instead of agreeing that there is precedent for them to keep her invincibility without slathering it in downsides and making her kit overall better.

33 minutes ago, PatternistSlave said:

Yeah, but that has never been an excuse to keep a bad ability. Its what they did with Exaclibur when he had super jump, it was removed cause its bad. I want to see something done about valkyr's 1, because its bad. The only reason to use it would be to pull enemies of cliffs, which is rare considering not all maps have them, and just because. I want to see something more useful in that slot.

2 hours ago, Screamlord_Star said:

here's some evidence for the 1-shot claim giphy.gif

But all of that is really circumstancial.

Ripline is crap compared to actual movement, you can just aswell slide, bullet jump or double jump+slam to a target. Needs to be reworked.

Warcry is great, no boudbt about that, but it is the most impractical piece of crap skill when it comes to CC. You cannot use it at will, you can only activate it when it isnt active. And in a EW build it is always active. The armor buff is nice but highly pointless in a Hysteria build. Good skill overall.

Paralysis has too short range and is too slow to cast. You are better off just hacking and slashing away. They need to improve the cast speed and range.

Hysteria may 1HK level 160 mobs, but it is still a slow way of doing it and something every frame can already do if they have access to a finisher opener in their kit and a dagger. Excal does just the same with a Howl followed by some EB/CB stabbing. And while Valkyr goes to town executing them one by one, Wukong and Excal have already wiped out 5 times as many enemies by simple forward+E spam or some regular E spam in Excals case. Not really sure what they should do to make this skill more interesting and on par with other exalted melee weapons.

I've only been able to test Wukong up to level 140 because I'm MR22 only, but a full group mixed with CHGs and CBombs die in 3 seconds or so to his Primal Fury+Clone after the rework.

Now I'm not saying Valkyr is bad, she is just behind because she lacks range with her Hysteria. I've gone back to playing her with regular melee weapons because the kill speed is much better and just as in Wukong's pre-rework case, her invulnerability is more or less pointless and unneeded. Her armor is already so high and her attack speed simply turns any hybrid weapon into a blender of death. Full on physical hybrid Cyath or Gram Prime with CO and Blood Rush makes quick work of anyhting she faces.

heh, if Valkyr is outdated, then what does that make Vauban? a fossil?

personally I've no problems with Valkyr. her 4 is still incredibly strong, and War Cry is a pretty solid buff. her 1 and 3 could maybe use some tweaking though: Rip Line is kind of useless as both a parkour ability ( because now we have Operator dash and Bullet Jumping) and as a "combat harpoon" (let's be honest, nobody uses the alt fire on the Paracyst or Harpak. Harpoons are too gimmicky and better single target lockdowns exist.) her 3 would be a good lockdown ability if it just had more base range and duration. years ago, frames were more specialized, but now we have frames that have a solid mix of CC, damage, and healing; there's no reason not to have at least one good CC ability on every frame, including offensive frames.

my proposed changes:

- Rip Line needs to go. I'm thinking maybe replace it with an Aura ability which makes all nearby enemies super vulnerable to slash damage, perhaps by making it drastically increase the amount of Slash Damage they receive, and synergize with her other powers; perhaps give more health when a marked enemy is killed in Hysteria, or remove some of the accumulated Damage that the player would receive upon exiting Hysteria to keep that ending damage low. I'll be honest, it's hard thinking of something that doesn't seem like a rip-off of Khora or Garuda's kit.

- Paralysis is sound in terms of mechanics, but you've basically GOT to have the augment and a specific setup for it to be useful: Imo it should be at least somewhat Viable without the Augment and a ton of power range. perhaps have it synergize with War Cry: each paralysed enemy killed with a finisher adds a % buff to melee damage, stacking multiple times. I think this would encourage people to use their 3 more often while keeping War cry up, and it could also be combined with 1 and 4.

7 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Hysteria may 1HK level 160 mobs, but it is still a slow way of doing it and something every frame can already do if they have access to a finisher opener in their kit and a dagger.

I'm sorry but then you have to rework 39 Warframes. Yes, 39. Because none of them is useful as long as you have an Operator and a CL Dagger.

22 hours ago, Chewarette said:

But she is... not meant to be in eternal Hysteria. Just like Baruuk is not really meant to be in eternal 4.

Dudes clearly not going to get it if he thinks shes useless, he probably thinks Mesa is garbage because you cant stay in peacemaker all day. Valkyr used to be able to maintain her 4 pretty much indefinitely and you had people running 4 hour survival with her solo and only leaving because they got bored. So a usual knee-jerk reaction by DE made her have a ramp up energy drain to combat that. The only frames that really fall into severely needing a rework category are ember, vauban and titania. 

Edited by (XB1)Demon Intellect
  • Like 1

Il y a 21 heures, Arkennstar a dit :

If you think Valkyr is useless, you dont know how to build/use her. Period.

This right here. Also I'm laughing very hard at the people who think her claws are somehow subpar compared to zaws, particularly after the melee 2.9 change.