Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember 2.0, Critique and Rework: Overheating Intensifies

Synpai

OVERALL:

*Ember seems to be a mid-close range frame with stats that don't reflect that
*Abilities/build are TOO demanding. Frames like Nidus have many options due to base ability/passive scaling I.E:

1. Only primed continuity? No worries, his abilities have great base duration.
  2. Can’t squeeze on steel fiber? Fret not because with 180% power strength parasitic link will give you 90% DR
  3. Have to yeet efficiency out the window? That’s fine because you’re tanky and you don’t have shields, so rage can make up for it on top of the refund mechanic (just beware the energy reduction sortie!)
  4. Only able to get 180% power strength? Maybe less? So what the lower power strength will yield you more stacks to get undying faster on top of scaling damage for Virulence

*Most abilities are ineffective without augments; pair that with the latter point and it's a catastrophe. This is mainly due to how Heat damage behaves in Warframe, but also in part due to the redundancy in ability purpose in her kit: "Damage," "CC" the quotes being essential because both tend to be extremely limiting the more varied content one engages in

• Passive - HAS NO INNATE INITIATION LOOP! I.E: Players have to bring a javlok or otherwise to set themselves on fire as opposed to what SHOULD BE: abilities should have a chance to "set her on fire" + innate fire damage reduction
  • Fireball - .....damage, cc, etc all minimal; not a bad first ability
  • Accelerant - great ability, but augment should be apart of base
  • Fire Blast - A bit redundant considering accelerant effectively does the buffing, just not for the team unless using augment;  Could provide defensive (enemies can't shoot through and have reduced accuracy inside)
  • World on FIre - Essentially random "Damage," "CC"  (if you have the augment) and refined to less range than Fire Blast; Lack of player control (the "randomness") and lack of effectiveness (waiting for an explosion that can at best knock the enemy down with an augment at high level) makes this one of the least satisfying 4th abilities as a player

Above, you can see (more or less) 4 skills that serve the same purpose: to deal Heat damage or add heat damage to attacks and CC enemies.

Changes Minimally:

• Passive: Provide initiation loop so casting abilities can "set Ember on fire " + provide Fire damage reduction (visual fire preferred, but possible to balance around damage taken over time)
  • Heat Damage: Use Ember as a beta for Elemental 2.0 Heat (What happens when you have Status Chance >100% with heat) such as % HP burn,True Damage over time, Heat damage on burning target dealing true damage, etc.
  • Support: Her lack of DPS could be remedied by greater support and CC
  • Combine Fire Blast + Accelerant  - One ability to buff them all (It's a stretch, they could merely separate the purpose of the two a bit more)
  • Revamp WoF - It's just a terrible ability
  • Provide greater synergies and incentive to ability use
  • Add better scaling and base stats to make builds flexible without being absolutely PUNISHING; In my opinion, much like Nova, Nidus, Nezha, Saryn, etc. unless you put a primary stat to negative, you can generally USE all their abilities ; survivability need not be necessary for EVERY frame, but in the case of Ember, seems it should be

However I'm the business of going over the top and asking for more than I can get cause....at best it may inspire something.

NOTE: I don't like including numbers because they will most certainly be too high or low without proper testing. Though I may mention range or duration, it does not mean the ability should scale on it, for example: it may be acceptable that fireball have a flat range. Also, parts of this are revamped from a concept I did in like 2015 :D.

Passive: Ignition

Spoiler

Ember converts %X of energy used and heat damage done to build up Ignition. As Ignition rises, Ember gains scaling passive bonus Movement speed, Damage Reduction and Energy Regeneration. Ignition decays if Ember hasn't dealt Heat damage in Y seconds.

Passive 2: Overheat

Spoiler

Ember has a X% chance to Overheat when casting abilities, granting bonus Ability strength and Bonus Heat damage to weapons and abilities. Ember can only gain Ignition with Heat damage overtime while Overheat is active. (Scales with Ignition level such that it is always active when Ignition is maxed)

Ability 1: Fireball

Spoiler

Functions as it does now, except also reduces enemy armor per heat tick; low duration reduces more armor quickly, but for a lower time which in theory it could work, but may not be acceptable in practice.

Charging should also increase the explosion range.

Augment: Fireball Frenzy

Number of Fireballs scale with Power Strength and Ricochet off walls, dealing more damage with each bounce (leaving patches of fire on the first impact only?)

NOTE: I'm more fond of them ricocheting to other enemies directly as I'm typically not fond of how things bounce around, but I kept it hectic for the sake of simplicity.

Ability 2: Accelerant

Spoiler

Stun nearby enemies with strong accelerant on cast, setting them ablaze.

Over the duration enemies who suffer heat proc in range are briefly stunned and explode in a blast proc when killed by heat damage.

The next ability cast over the duration is enhanced (with improved casting speed):

Enhancements:

1.      Fireball starts at the charged stats (essentially allowing it quickly deal the charged damage or be charged to 4x the damage and range)

2.      Applies fire damage multiplier to allies in range; When enemies explode on death they also have a chance to set affected enemies on fire

3.      Instead summons Inferno at mouse location at double range and strength, but partial duration

4.      Ember and her allies will leave behind trails of fire; enemies affected by heat that come in close proximity detonate with a blast proc (this consumes and deals damage equal to the remaining heat proc) in the radius causing other enemies to catch on fire. 

Augment: Slow Burn
Accelerant no longer stuns, but allows multiple abilities to be altered and instead slows enemies by x% when affected by heat procs.

NOTE: It may be appropriate to slightly increase the cast cost of the altered ability.

Ability 3: Inferno

Spoiler

After a short channel Ember surrounds herself in a continuous flame vortex pulling enemies within a fixed range to her on cast. The vortex deals X-Y heat damage per second to enemies depending on how close they are to Ember.

Augment: Eternal Hell
Continually pulls enemies that are affected by heat instead of only pulling on initial cast

Ability 4: World on Fire

Spoiler

-Ember absorbs the fire around her and envelops herself and nearby allies (Affinity range) in flames, giving all those affected Ignition Bonuses (Movement Speed, DR, Energy Regeneration) and Overheat Bonus. The bonuses scale higher based on the amount of heat absorbed (for sake of reference say: up to "double" her passives normal cap).

-Ember and her allies also have a chance to ignite enemies within close proximity

-Affected allies are also affected by ember’s other abilities by a reduce amount…~25% of the effect (75% reduction).

In other words,

1.      Allies launch homing fire sparks when fireball is cast

2.      Allies also stun enemies in a smaller range and gain increase casting speed.

3.      Ember's allies have smaller vortexes that deal less damage.

4.      They receive the full effect

Augment: Hardened Lava
Flames have X health (Like Iron Skin, the flames die before you are damaged). Therefore once the flames ‘health’ is gone the affect is lost for that person.

NOTE: It's not a necessity to scrap the current behavior of WoF, it still has potential to work in tandem with some combination of these changes or otherwise. For example, the accelerant version could cause an eruption on enemies affected by heat to detonate them.

Edited by Synpai
  • Like 7

One thing to note, you cant make Heat proc too powerful in itself because it will also affect how that is related to normal ways a player might be affected, and it would be a very big disadvantage for Ember herself since every ability could trigger it, sure, it would have reduced effect, but to have it on for like 75% of the time in mission with no other choice than casting stuff is not ideal if it hurts her in any serious way beyond how Heat procs act now. For example, imagine if a frame would have x3 Power Strength when under magnetic proc... and every ability had a chance to proc you with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xardis said:

One thing to note, you cant make Heat proc too powerful in itself because it will also affect how that is related to normal ways a player might be affected, and it would be a very big disadvantage for Ember herself since every ability could trigger it, sure, it would have reduced effect, but to have it on for like 75% of the time in mission with no other choice than casting stuff is not ideal if it hurts her in any serious way beyond how Heat procs act now. For example, imagine if a frame would have x3 Power Strength when under magnetic proc... and every ability had a chance to proc you with it.

I concur, hence why I suggested status >100% effects, which should be implausible for enemies to achieve. I'm all for statuses affecting players the same as enemies, but that may be a tougher call with as you say, magnetic, it has a purpose but no where near as painful for the enemy compared to the player.

That being said, Ember's passive COULD apply a heat proc, but I think the setting on fire should be purely visual in either case (maybe I didn't make that clear enough), there's argument that it could deal some minimal damage overtime, but that's a whole other problem to balance around.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, (PS4)MyUnhealthyHobby said:

Excellent Job. You even took the time to make Augments. I have to commend you for your hard work my friend. 

If my my Rework is overlooked by the Devs, I hope yours and a few others could make it in.

Thank you! 😄 It feels good to do another rework, been away from the forums a bit.

• Like 2

+1 for Fireball, similar to oberon's smite would be excellent, especially if it was just as powerful and scaled.

Functions as it does now, except also reduces enemy armor per heat tick; low duration reduces more armor quickly, but for a lower time which in theory it could work, but may not be acceptable in practice.

Number of Fireballs scale with Power Strength and Ricochet off walls, dealing more damage with each bounce (leaving patches of fire on the first impact only?)

NOTE: I'm more fond of them ricocheting to other enemies directly as I'm typically not fond of how things bounce around, but I kept it hectic for the sake of simplicity.

• Like 2

I think id like to see one of her abilities be a damage sink... Maybe holding the button causes you to be temporarily unable to move but also damage immune. The damage you receive fills a bar or else creates an aura around ember, releasing the button allows you to move again and leaves a brief instance of immunity, the bar or aura begins slowly decreasing, but your other skills do significantly increased damage while it's in effect. 

The problem tends to be that DE spends too much time putting out fires...pun intended... And not enough time considering root causes. I mean. Saryn beats wof ember any and every day of the week. Across the board she's a better add clearing frame and to be honest they can't do anything about her because if they do it'll make ESO miserable to play. All that nerfing Ember into the ground accomplished was making sure that Saryn now reigns supreme in crowd control game modes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

I think id like to see one of her abilities be a damage sink... Maybe holding the button causes you to be temporarily unable to move but also damage immune. The damage you receive fills a bar or else creates an aura around ember, releasing the button allows you to move again and leaves a brief instance of immunity, the bar or aura begins slowly decreasing, but your other skills do significantly increased damage while it's in effect. 

The problem tends to be that DE spends too much time putting out fires...pun intended... And not enough time considering root causes. I mean. Saryn beats wof ember any and every day of the week. Across the board she's a better add clearing frame and to be honest they can't do anything about her because if they do it'll make ESO miserable to play. All that nerfing Ember into the ground accomplished was making sure that Saryn now reigns supreme in crowd control game modes.

I like that idea, it works well for iron skin on rhino and saryns molt, I could see it work for ember that way too.

Paragraph 2, agreed.

On 2019-06-23 at 12:37 AM, (PS4)Black-Cat-Jinx said:

I think there's merit to this, perhaps there's room for her 3rd or 4th to have a charge state where Ember can absorb damage and while I can see it working for ember, I imagine it for another frame closer to Limbo's domain.

Agreed; a lot of the older changes and creations are starting to show their faults

On 2019-06-20 at 9:11 AM, Synpai said:

OVERALL:

*Ember seems to be a mid-close range frame with stats that don't reflect that
*Abilities/build are TOO demanding. Frames like Nidus have many options due to base ability/passive scaling I.E:

1. Only primed continuity? No worries, his abilities have great base duration.
  2. Can’t squeeze on steel fiber? Fret not because with 180% power strength parasitic link will give you 90% DR
  3. Have to yeet efficiency out the window? That’s fine because you’re tanky and you don’t have shields, so rage can make up for it on top of the refund mechanic (just beware the energy reduction sortie!)
  4. Only able to get 180% power strength? Maybe less? So what the lower power strength will yield you more stacks to get undying faster on top of scaling damage for Virulence

*Most abilities are ineffective without augments; pair that with the latter point and it's a catastrophe. This is mainly due to how Heat damage behaves in Warframe, but also in part due to the redundancy in ability purpose in her kit: "Damage," "CC" the quotes being essential because both tend to be extremely limiting the more varied content one engages in

• Passive - HAS NO INNATE INITIATION LOOP! I.E: Players have to bring a javlok or otherwise to set themselves on fire as opposed to what SHOULD BE: abilities should have a chance to "set her on fire" + innate fire damage reduction
  • Fireball - .....damage, cc, etc all minimal; not a bad first ability
  • Accelerant - great ability, but augment should be apart of base
  • Fire Blast - A bit redundant considering accelerant effectively does the buffing, just not for the team unless using augment;  Could provide defensive (enemies can't shoot through and have reduced accuracy inside)
  • World on FIre - Essentially random "Damage," "CC"  (if you have the augment) and refined to less range than Fire Blast; Lack of player control (the "randomness") and lack of effectiveness (waiting for an explosion that can at best knock the enemy down with an augment at high level) makes this one of the least satisfying 4th abilities as a player

Above, you can see (more or less) 4 skills that serve the same purpose: to deal Heat damage or add heat damage to attacks and CC enemies.

Changes Minimally:

• Passive: Provide initiation loop so casting abilities can "set Ember on fire " + provide Fire damage reduction (visual fire preferred, but possible to balance around damage taken over time)
  • Heat Damage: Use Ember as a beta for Elemental 2.0 Heat (What happens when you have Status Chance >100% with heat) such as % HP burn,True Damage over time, Heat damage on burning target dealing true damage, etc.
  • Support: Her lack of DPS could be remedied by greater support and CC
  • Combine Fire Blast + Accelerant  - One ability to buff them all (It's a stretch, they could merely separate the purpose of the two a bit more)
  • Revamp WoF - It's just a terrible ability
  • Provide greater synergies and incentive to ability use
  • Add better scaling and base stats to make builds flexible without being absolutely PUNISHING; In my opinion, much like Nova, Nidus, Nezha, Saryn, etc. unless you put a primary stat to negative, you can generally USE all their abilities ; survivability need not be necessary for EVERY frame, but in the case of Ember, seems it should be

However I'm the business of going over the top and asking for more than I can get cause....at best it may inspire something.

NOTE: I don't like including numbers because they will most certainly be too high or low without proper testing. Though I may mention range or duration, it does not mean the ability should scale on it, for example: it may be acceptable that fireball have a flat range. Also, parts of this are revamped from a concept I did in like 2015 :D.

Passive: Ignition

Hide contents

Ember converts %X of energy used and heat damage done to build up Ignition. As Ignition rises, Ember gains scaling passive bonus Movement speed, Damage Reduction and Energy Regeneration. Ignition decays if Ember hasn't dealt Heat damage in Y seconds.

Passive 2: Overheat

Hide contents

Ember has a X% chance to Overheat when casting abilities, granting bonus Ability strength and Bonus Heat damage to weapons and abilities. Ember can only gain Ignition with Heat damage overtime while Overheat is active. (Scales with Ignition level such that it is always active when Ignition is maxed)

Ability 1: Fireball

Hide contents

Ability 2: Accelerant

Hide contents

Stun nearby enemies with strong accelerant on cast, setting them ablaze.

Over the duration enemies who suffer heat proc in range are briefly stunned and explode in a blast proc when killed by heat damage.

The next ability cast over the duration is enhanced (with improved casting speed):

Enhancements:

1.      Fireball starts at the charged stats (essentially allowing it quickly deal the charged damage or be charged to 4x the damage and range)

2.      Applies fire damage multiplier to allies in range; When enemies explode on death they also have a chance to set affected enemies on fire

3.      Instead summons Inferno at mouse location at double range and strength, but partial duration

4.      Ember and her allies will leave behind trails of fire; enemies affected by heat that come in close proximity detonate with a blast proc (this consumes and deals damage equal to the remaining heat proc) in the radius causing other enemies to catch on fire. 

Augment: Slow Burn
Accelerant no longer stuns, but allows multiple abilities to be altered and instead slows enemies by x% when affected by heat procs.

NOTE: It may be appropriate to slightly increase the cast cost of the altered ability.

Ability 3: Inferno

Hide contents

After a short channel Ember surrounds herself in a continuous flame vortex pulling enemies within a fixed range to her on cast. The vortex deals X-Y heat damage per second to enemies depending on how close they are to Ember.

Augment: Eternal Hell
Continually pulls enemies that are affected by heat instead of only pulling on initial cast

Ability 4: World on Fire

Hide contents

-Ember absorbs the fire around her and envelops herself and nearby allies (Affinity range) in flames, giving all those affected Ignition Bonuses (Movement Speed, DR, Energy Regeneration) and Overheat Bonus. The bonuses scale higher based on the amount of heat absorbed (for sake of reference say: up to "double" her passives normal cap).

-Ember and her allies also have a chance to ignite enemies within close proximity

-Affected allies are also affected by ember’s other abilities by a reduce amount…~25% of the effect (75% reduction).

In other words,

1.      Allies launch homing fire sparks when fireball is cast

2.      Allies also stun enemies in a smaller range and gain increase casting speed.

3.      Ember's allies have smaller vortexes that deal less damage.

4.      They receive the full effect

Augment: Hardened Lava
Flames have X health (Like Iron Skin, the flames die before you are damaged). Therefore once the flames ‘health’ is gone the affect is lost for that person.

NOTE: It's not a necessity to scrap the current behavior of WoF, it still has potential to work in tandem with some combination of these changes or otherwise. For example, the accelerant version could cause an eruption on enemies affected by heat to detonate them.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1103008-empress-of-insatiable-flames-embers-rework/

Wa 😄

Ember reworkers unite 😄

12 hours ago, Synpai said:

I really want to be able to give valuable feedback, but the flow of the post makes it very hard. You can make a lot of complex information digest really well for a reader.

don't see why flow of a post should hinder putting up feedback tbh. Don't be shy now xD

7 hours ago, moostar95 said:

With de's poor history of rebalancing. Its a miracle this game hasn't collapsed on itself. Thankfully, I rarely need to use eso but farming xp.

:] Might we please try to keep the focus on the topic at hand? What are your thoughts on Ember/the rework?

10 hours ago, (PS4)chibitonka said:

don't see why flow of a post should hinder putting up feedback tbh. Don't be shy now xD

Hmmm, I believe it proper etiquette and downright logical to give feedback on a post before linking your own and allowing the OP to know relevant highlights. I.e: " I like the way you did X; X ability seems interesting but could use Y, I imagined Ember a bit more of a full DPS frame, here's an example (link to he full post in spoiler)"

:]

9 hours ago, Synpai said:

Hmmm, I believe it proper etiquette and downright logical to give feedback on a post before linking your own and allowing the OP to know relevant highlights. I.e: " I like the way you did X; X ability seems interesting but could use Y, I imagined Ember a bit more of a full DPS frame, here's an example (link to he full post in spoiler)"

Etiquette? *chews on cow leg like neanderthal* jk

well if you want my opinion...

It feels idk. 

Spoiler

Without having fire dmg being able to scale imo whatever we do with her flames even if we give it some of the best effects in the game will still fall flat at higher end straits. 

Inferno sounds great on paper but tbh counting on the augment to fill things even further instead of just putting it into the ability seems like a missed chance. Make the augments change up the ability entirely instead of just enhancing it's current effects more. *one of the main grievances ppl have with augments*

Exploding upon death sounds fun but shouldn't lock it to blast procs since those are actually quite bad and nullify dmg from said proc. Heat procs will still perform the need of crowd control just fine on the instance an enemy kicks it. 

world on fire... this is just my opinion but unless it's lighting Everything on Fire it doesn't deserve that namesake. A world on fire means pillars of fire are gushing out from many directions drowning everything in turbulent flame. The air itself sizzling everything nearby as things begin to combust. Metals/rocks warping/exploding, firearms being render moot. Should feel like something that one thinks of when picturing a god of the sun or Fire Incarnate. 

As is she doesn't have any risk to using her flames either. Imo if she's going to be taking on a role like heavily focused dps she needs to have some risks put in. Even just using her abilities corroding her health is a fine method. 

To me at least, it doesn't really encapsulate what makes fire so wonderful and so terrifying. Could just be unrealistically high standards or just pyro tendencies wanting to see it doable in game. 

On 2019-07-03 at 6:02 PM, (PS4)chibitonka said:

To me at least, it doesn't really encapsulate what makes fire so wonderful and so terrifying. Could just be unrealistically high standards or just pyro tendencies wanting to see it doable in game. 

Unrealistic high standards. Limbo stopped allies from shooting...You want Ember to burn allies an objectives, a sure fire way to take her from the trash to the air lock.

3 hours ago, Synpai said:

Unrealistic high standards. Limbo stopped allies from shooting...You want Ember to burn allies an objectives, a sure fire way to take her from the trash to the air lock.

i mean she'd probably just be banished from being near the team 😄

tbh don't see how that would be a bad thing when she's supposed to be trying to replicate a natural disaster anyway xD

On 2019-06-20 at 6:11 PM, Synpai said:

Fireball - .....damage, cc, etc all minimal; not a bad first ability

I would not really say so. It's long to cast. And it's weak. Its radius is small. Purely waste of time and energy.

Why even use fireball instead of your weapon?

4 hours ago, TeaHawk said:

I would not really say so. It's long to cast. And it's weak. Its radius is small. Purely waste of time and energy.

Why even use fireball instead of your weapon?

Most 1st abilities for old frames are like that (Frost, Nekros, Valkyr, etc.). It's a way for a fairly new player to deal damage with not just weapons on low level maps. Plus, the ability is spammable allowing for some extra exp. It's not a bad skill by any means, it's just old. It doesn't really matter if it receives a change or not, at long as it meshes with her other abilities post rework.

20 minutes ago, Blexander said:

Most 1st abilities for old frames are like that (Frost, Nekros, Valkyr, etc.). It's a way for a fairly new player to deal damage with not just weapons on low level maps. Plus, the ability is spammable allowing for some extra exp. It's not a bad skill by any means, it's just old. It doesn't really matter if it receives a change or not, at long as it meshes with her other abilities post rework.

My suggestion is:

1. Make it single-handed cast

2. Greatly decrease casting time

3. Make it synergistic with other abilities

1 minute ago, TeaHawk said:

My suggestion is:

1. Sounds about right, as in, that's what it does currently. Exert from the wiki:

• Can be used while performing many actions without interrupting them, including reloading, charging, shooting, and remaining scoped in on Sniper Rifles.

2. Removing charging is genuinely a better idea

3. We need to know what the other abilities are to make her 1 have synergy with them, but yeah, that would be great

On 2019-07-08 at 9:25 PM, Maka.Bones said:

It would actually be ember 4.0 (at least)

Edit: Great job with the post btw. It's incredibly easy to read & understand. 

haha you're not wrong there.

Thank you very much :D, took a bit to get together!

On 2019-07-09 at 12:33 AM, (PS4)chibitonka said:

i mean she'd probably just be banished from being near the team 😄

tbh don't see how that would be a bad thing when she's supposed to be trying to replicate a natural disaster anyway xD

If it were that simple, people would just Banish Limbo <-- ha but they rather just leave squads or recruit without him TBH. Remember, people are lazy
It's a bad thing because you're saying put a frame in the game that's not supposed to be around a team or objective 🤣

Troll #1: Melts Spy Sortie Vault - GG
Troll #2: Melts Defense Objective - GG
Troll #3: Goes to low level missions and kills players - GG

Team play, even if it's abuse, comes into play for design. She may have a fire theme, but it should reflect the game, not nature.

On 2019-07-09 at 8:52 AM, TeaHawk said:

My suggestion is:

Agreed. 1. is already true, but I tried to remedy 2 and 3 with my redesign

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Synpai said:

haha you're not wrong there.

Thank you very much :D, took a bit to get together!

If it were that simple, people would just Banish Limbo <-- ha but they rather just leave squads or recruit without him TBH. Remember, people are lazy
It's a bad thing because you're saying put a frame in the game that's not supposed to be around a team or objective 🤣

Troll #1: Melts Spy Sortie Vault - GG
Troll #2: Melts Defense Objective - GG
Troll #3: Goes to low level missions and kills players - GG

Team play, even if it's abuse, comes into play for design. She may have a fire theme, but it should reflect the game, not nature.

Agreed. 1. is already true, but I tried to remedy 2 and 3 with my redesign

true ppl are lazy and that's not our problem xD

limit that potential by locking it behind something that requires heavy buildup maybe. Deters that level of idiocy from becoming a problem. 

Tbh forgot that ppl being pieces of garbage is a thing. Can't have anything nice cause of them i swear.

also wrong type of banish. I meant heavily reported or heavily getting S#&amp;&#036; for getting near them. 

:o could just make Ember vulnerable to friendly fire if she can do that kind of dmg w/o restrictions.

Edited by (PS4)chibitonka