Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, are we ever gonna get that Nyx rework?

Lumania

16 hours ago, Lumania said:

should I just abandon my hopes of actually being able to use Nyx on high level missions comfortably?

I don't really see the issue right now.

• Chaos has always been good and still is now.
  • Mind Control got some love with the ability to pump damage into the target and increase its own damage output.
  • Absorb increases its damage range with built-up absorbtion and also buff Nyx's damage output for a time. This last bit lets Nyx pump even more damage into a new MC target.
  • She got a passive that is difficult to notice the effect of (hard to pick up on enemies not hitting you as much), but it sorta functions as a ~20% DR. Kinda. Defs better than her previous passive.
  • The biggest game changer was the retooling of Psychic Bolts, because now with just a little modded Strength it's an auto-targeting on-demand 100% Armor strip for up to 6 enemies. It's legit twice as good as Shuriken+augment and with better enemy detection. This is the glue that holds Nyx together, imo.
    • The fact that she can strip Armor gets around the damage issue on Absorb (a little)
    • Stripping Armor lets her pump max damage into a new MC target
    • Armor strip allows Chaos-affected enemies to do significant damage to one another

Now Nyx is not without her issues. Absorb is still pretty meh without the augment and it still really struggles at most levels (early levels because enemies aren't hitting for enough, later levels because Absorb isn't hitting for enough). But this has been a pretty solid improvement for our wily meddler of minds, and I've added her to my regular rotation of frames because of it. I especially like her in Defense Arbitration for keeping most enemies focused on anything but their objective.

Edited by SenorClipClop

15 minutes ago, modalmojo said:

While her CC is great, it will be great to see Nyx has some really useful damage abilities, not just the Absorb damage buff only on for a short while after Absorb is turned off.

I'm telling you man, best way to fix absorb is that after your accumulate some damage...let her throw it

dragon energy GIF

6 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

(Absorb still drains her Energy from ally damage, for example, an issue that's been repeatedly pointed out and should be easy to fix)

Wasn't this fixed up recently? Or is something else about absorb bugged?

The Jovian Concord: Hotfix 25.0.2.1 -  'Fixed Nyx’s Absorb being affected by teammate damage when using the Assimilate Augment Mod.' 

Edited by BlindStalker

Just now, BlindStalker said:

Wasn't this fixed up recently? Or are you talking about something else about absorb being bugged?

The Jovian Concord: Hotfix 25.0.2.1 -  'Fixed Nyx’s Absorb being affected by teammate damage when using the Assimilate Augment Mod.' 

That's specifically the augment, though, iirc the baseline Absorb is still affected (and the difference I think is intentional).

15 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

That's specifically the augment, though, iirc the baseline Absorb is still affected (and the difference I think is intentional).

Ah sorry, I wasn't aware of that difference between augmented and non-augmented absorb. That does sound strange to me if that difference is intended as I don't follow what DE were trying to do with that setup.

Edited by BlindStalker
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

I don't really see the issue right now.

• Chaos has always been good and still is now.
  • Mind Control got some love with the ability to pump damage into the target and increase its own damage output.
  • Absorb increases its damage range with built-up absorbtion and also buff Nyx's damage output for a time. This last bit lets Nyx pump even more damage into a new MC target.
  • She got a passive that is difficult to notice the effect of (hard to pick up on enemies not hitting you as much), but it sorta functions as a ~20% DR. Kinda. Defs better than her previous passive.
  • The biggest game changer was the retooling of Psychic Bolts, because now with just a little modded Strength it's an auto-targeting on-demand 100% Armor strip for up to 6 enemies. It's legit twice as good as Shuriken+augment and with better enemy detection. This is the glue that holds Nyx together, imo.
    • The fact that she can strip Armor gets around the damage issue on Absorb (a little)
    • Stripping Armor lets her pump max damage into a new MC target
    • Armor strip allows Chaos-affected enemies to do significant damage to one another

Now Nyx is not without her issues. Absorb is still pretty meh without the augment and it still really struggles at most levels (early levels because enemies aren't hitting for enough, later levels because Absorb isn't hitting for enough). But this has been a pretty solid improvement for our wily meddler of minds, and I've added her to my regular rotation of frames because of it. I especially like her in Defense Arbitration for keeping most enemies focused on anything but their objective.

By itself, everything looks okay. Sort of. Sure. However...

The old Psychic Bolts worked great with her passive. It was a long range Chaos and it ripped away enemy weapons. It was also great to sure up Chaos after they nerfed the ability to have more than a single instance of it active. It also affected Nullifiers and Ancients and scaled to infinity. This new one is okay but almost totally worthless with a developed arsenal.

Why? It scales inversely with her other skill stats. Also, the weapons and mods are so horrendously broken, you can just brute force most things. Even if you don't, there are enough ways to circumvent shields and armor entirely.

Enemies also do extremely little damage in relation to their health. Saying it's a benefit for Chaos is sort of funny when that was never the point of it. The disarmed enemies bunched together due to AI behavior. This kept them on each other and off of players and objective targets. Now they move apart since, again, AI behavior with guns. Often they will find themselves near players and objective targets. This is not a benefit. Not to mention the range of Chaos was likely reduced to give yourself the bonus strength to strip unimportant enemy defenses.

If I want to strip armor from important targets, I'll use Shattering Impact. Just like I did yesterday on the Phorid Sortie boss before I put a few Vectis shots into him. The fun part was I didn't even need to play Nyx to do it.

The passive went from something that benefited everyone on the team equally, to something that only benefits Nyx and does so terribly. The old passive removed dangerous AoE weapons and prevented, entirely, the instances of splash damage that would kill Nyx and the party. Does the new passive help avoid splash damage? Even if it did, I would still prefer to remove it from the equation entirely than to roll the dice on whether or not I explode.

I run EMP Aura on Saryn when I run solo ESO. It's hard to notice. The man with the Supra doesn't care at all either.

Absorb is hot garbage and there is no defending it at all. On top of all its badness, they made it return the damage types that it eats. This is actually a nerf since, most of the time, enemies are shooting with damage types that they themselves resist. For example: (see edit) Grineer shoot high impact weapons to destroy Corpus shields. Absorb will return that high impact damage into heavily armored units for reduced damage. How can anyone not laugh at that?

Chaos is still good for the most part.

Mind Control is sort of a wash. It certainly didn't get worse. I think? I just know that giving it more power basically reduces its maximum lifespan and that is unpopular for obvious reasons.

She is still functional, sure, but she's no better than before, in my opinion; perhaps worse. In fact, she plays so differently, I can't enjoy it.

Edited by ArcKnight9202
Made a mistake: Should be Corpus guns and Shields, not Grinner guns and armor.

hace 11 horas, ArcKnight9202 dijo:

I also advocate, strongly, that she is just plain worse than before. I don't even touch her anymore and she was pretty much my favorite frame before they decided to blow out her knee caps.

The damage is done. They listened to absolutely everyone -but- the people who seemed to play and understand Nyx. They made a frame to placate people that don't play her and still don't. They managed to chase off at least me so maybe they lost more than they gained? I don't have the stats but I'm not optimistic on its success.

So sad how this is EXACTLY my case.. She was my most used and loved frame (still is) but as I got closer to end game content, I found myself using her less and less.. Not because I stopped enjoying watching enemies being so confused they hurt themselves in their confusion, but simply because it was becoming way to hard for me to keep up with my teammates, I was plainly being useles.. And that felt horrible. I even bought her the Carnifex tennogen skin for her and nowadays I just use it when I'm trading QwQ

hace 1 hora, ArcKnight9202 dijo:

Enemies also do extremely little damage in relation to their health.

This, this is the most important thing about her being useless on high level, since Chaos is her most powerful ability and enemies health scale way more than their damage, when you use it, you'll see tons of enemies just tickling at eachother.. If only they would, idk, give the affected enemies a damage buff against their own that scaled with their health somehow, I would be fine with the rest of her kit being useles..

6 hours ago, ArcKnight9202 said:

This new one [Psychic Bolts] is okay but almost totally worthless with a developed arsenal.

Why? It scales inversely with her other skill stats. Also, the weapons and mods are so horrendously broken, you can just brute force most things. Even if you don't, there are enough ways to circumvent shields and armor entirely.

Okay, but if Psychic Bolts strips Armor for you, you don't have to bring a supplementary Armor strip tool. Then you get to stack on more damage or other effects, or take weapons that you normally couldn't against high-DR foes. Seriously, how are you arguing that 100% armor strip is a downgrade?

If I want to strip armor from important targets, I'll use Shattering Impact.

I'm a fan of Shattering Impact, but it only really works against enemies with a low base Armor value. Lancers, Butchers, even Phorid (who has a base of 25). Take Shattering Impact against a Heavy Gunner (of any level), and you have to hit it 84 times to completely remove Armor. Or you can press 2 with Nyx. I'm not contesting the viability of one against the other, but I am saying that Nyx's Armor strip is nothing to sneeze at.

Absorb is hot garbage and there is no defending it at all.

Absorb is still bad and I acknowledge this. I do like the damage buff it applies to Nyx though and I think that's a step in the right direction.

most of the time, enemies are shooting with damage types that they themselves resist. For example: Grineer shoot high impact weapons to destroy Corpus shields. Absorb will return that high impact damage into heavily armored units for reduced damage.

Armor doesn't resist Impact damage....

the range of Chaos was likely reduced to give yourself the bonus strength to strip unimportant enemy defenses.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, but if you're suggesting you need to throw your Ability stats out of whack to make PB work well, you only need 125% Strength to completely remove Shields and Armor. An Intensify by itself more than does the job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

Okay, but if Psychic Bolts strips Armor for you, you don't have to bring a supplementary Armor strip tool. Then you get to stack on more damage or other effects, or take weapons that you normally couldn't against high-DR foes. Seriously, how are you arguing that 100% armor strip is a downgrade?

I'm a fan of Shattering Impact, but it only really works against enemies with a low base Armor value. Lancers, Butchers, even Phorid (who has a base of 25). Take Shattering Impact against a Heavy Gunner (of any level), and you have to hit it 84 times to completely remove Armor. Or you can press 2 with Nyx. I'm not contesting the viability of one against the other, but I am saying that Nyx's Armor strip is nothing to sneeze at.

Absorb is still bad and I acknowledge this. I do like the damage buff it applies to Nyx though and I think that's a step in the right direction.

Armor doesn't resist Impact damage....

Apologies, I do not know how to break up a post so I'll have to refer to it in order. Also, a lot of this is opinion and differences in playstyle so bear that in mind.

First point: I ignore armor completely. I don't bother with trying to strip it. It takes too long and brute forcing is often just faster. Slash procs and viral do a really good job. I argue it's a downgrade because it lost all of its previous functionality. This is a personal preference. It might free up weapon variety so I won't say it has no value. I just say it has no value to me.

Second point: Of course, Shattering Impact is completely situational. Most cases, armor can just be ignored with proper equipment.

Third point: The damage buff might be nice but it's implemented in a rather cumbersome manner. It only lasts 8 seconds at base, too.

Fourth point: You are correct on this. I was mistaking Slash. However, in the case of Corpus' Puncture heavy weaponry, it has a penalty to Shields. This might offset as a bonus in some situations too I guess but I'm not a big fan of the dynamic feature of this ability. I also forgot to mention it turns off that "awesome" passive while running.

2 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, but if you're suggesting you need to throw your Ability stats out of whack to make PB work well, you only need 125% Strength to completely remove Shields and Armor. An Intensify by itself more than does the job.

What I mean by this is that before Nyx was reworked, you could easily dumpster power strength to get maximum range for Chaos. Psychic Bolts didn't require power at all since you wanted the secondary and tertiary effects for the most part(radiation procs, minor damage to smash cameras, and disarming groups of enemies). Mind Control was used mostly to remove priority targets from the battlefield, not for damage. Absorb, well, it wasn't much different from now.

With the right weapons and loadouts, armor and shields were never any point of contention in almost all commonly played content. Depending on how you mod now, it seems natural to give up Overextended so Nyx's power strength is still viable. This decreases the overall effective range of Chaos, which is her best ability.

I didn't need it before. Giving it to me now doesn't mean I'll use it or want it. It just makes Nyx lesser in my eyes.

To sum up: I fully admit this is an apples and oranges kind of thing. Everyone's playstyle is a little different. I'm a mostly solo player. But any uses I had for Nyx before are completely gone, save maybe Razorback. She plays quite a bit differently now and has contradictions in several areas. Revenant does a similar job(while soloing) to the old Nyx and that's all there is to it. If you enjoy this iteration of Nyx, I'm happy for you. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

17 hours ago, BlindStalker said:

Ah sorry, I wasn't aware of that difference between augmented and non-augmented absorb. That does sound strange to me if that difference is intended as I don't follow what DE were trying to do with that setup.

Agreed, the pattern of logic behind it is really inconsistent: on one hand, absorbing damage from allies to charge up Absorb would be awesome, if it weren't for this stupid Energy drain mechanic on Nyx that drained fixed amounts of Energy for every amount of flat damage absorbed (which means a single shot from an ally can immediately end Absorb and leave Nyx with zero Energy, effectively killing her on the spot in higher-level content). Removing ally damage interaction completely from Assimilate begs the question of whether or not the baseline effect is a troll mechanic: if it is, then it shouldn't be on Absorb either, and if it's not, then it should exist on both. Keeping a broken effect on one version and throwing the baby with the bathwater in the other makes no sense to me, and the fact that this wasn't addressed at all in Nyx's rework suggests she only received surface-level work from designers who weren't really familiar with her.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ArcKnight9202 said:

To sum up: I fully admit this is an apples and oranges kind of thing. Everyone's playstyle is a little different. I'm a mostly solo player. But any uses I had for Nyx before are completely gone, save maybe Razorback. She plays quite a bit differently now and has contradictions in several areas. Revenant does a similar job(while soloing) to the old Nyx and that's all there is to it. If you enjoy this iteration of Nyx, I'm happy for you. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I think perhaps we're coming at new Nyx from different perspectives. I never really played Nyx before her update, and so when I picked her up recently I had no starting scheme. I couldn't compare old Nyx to new Nyx because I never really knew old Nyx.

I came to my build and play conclusions from raw experimentation, seeing which did what and concocting a way to play around it all. As such, my standard Nyx play revolves around keeping a large area subdued with Chaos, and then taking specific advantage of powerful enemies to roast weaker ones by debuffing with PB, and/or getting aggressive with a PB-MC combo onto a Heavy/Eximus unit. Then I have Absorb as an "Oh sh*t" button to give me a breather and wrap my combos back around again with a passive damage buff. Right now I'm running a sorta balanced build with the big values being 175% each in Strength and Range, and at least a bit of Duration. I also have on Mind Freak cuz it's fun to watch a Butcher wreck mook face, but you could totally go Assimilate and be actually useful.

And for what it's worth, I think new Nyx passive > old Nyx passive. If my build lets enemies deal some actual damage to each other, I don't want to be replacing their Gorgons and Supras with those sad, slow, short-range melee noodles. I'd much rather exacerbate the innacuracy of those same assault rifles when the enemies occasionally notice me. Unless I'm in Absorb of course, since then I want to be collecting that damage.

Depending on how you mod now, it seems natural to give up Overextended so Nyx's power strength is still viable. This decreases the overall effective range of Chaos, which is her best ability.

I didn't need it before. Giving it to me now doesn't mean I'll use it or want it. It just makes Nyx lesser in my eyes.

Personally, I hate dump stats. I really enjoy a character's ability to allow each attribute to feel valuable in some way in some kind of reasonable playstyle. I like that a frame whose previous schtick was just debuff and basically nothing else, now gets to have options opened up for being aggressive.  I go for that highly involved, agrressive play -- I am  that frontline Harrow, the Night Tank Equinox, the channeled melee Trinity.

I ignore armor completely. I don't bother with trying to strip it. It takes too long and brute forcing is often just faster. Slash procs and viral do a really good job. I argue it's a downgrade because it lost all of its previous functionality. This is a personal preference. It might free up weapon variety so I won't say it has no value. I just say it has no value to me.

You do you, Tenno. Play how you want. But personally, I don't understand how any mod combo on a weapon would beat out instant 100% Armor strip with a single button press. I've played with all kinds of weapons, but none do that. I don't see the point in downplaying an infinitely-scaling, tank-shredding debuff. But hey, this game is not hard and our options are many, so play your way.

On 2019-06-21 at 7:05 PM, SenorClipClop said:

She got a passive that is difficult to notice the effect of (hard to pick up on enemies not hitting you as much), but it sorta functions as a ~20% DR. Kinda. Defs better than her previous passive. 

You either don't have a sense for the power of her previous passive or...

12 hours ago, SenorClipClop said:

... I never really played Nyx before her update, and so when I picked her up recently I had no starting scheme. I couldn't compare old Nyx to new Nyx because I never really knew old Nyx. ...

Ah, there we go.

While her new passive is fitting, her old one was far more powerful. And with the whole kit change one of the main arguments against her old passive went out of the window anyway -- you can't keep a useful Mind Controlled minion around if you pump it full of damage.

It's kind of ironic because one of the goals was to increase her survivability out of Assimilate/Absorb. That definitely did not happen.

Instead we got some partly dubious touch-ups, a new 2 that is now the only ability which really depends on -- at least only a moderate amount of -- Power Strength and some additional fluff. Also a lot of bugs, Assimilate was only fixed recently.

I just hope that next time they touch her, they'll make changes that revolve around Chaos and not Mind Control. They have now proven to be unable to rework the mob AI in a way to be really useful to us. Just compare Mind Control with the new Wuclone to see what I mean. And if I want to pump damage into something to make it stronger, I'm going to play Nova and do that on Antimatter Drop, anyway.

• Like 2

On 2019-06-21 at 8:26 PM, BlindStalker said:

22 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

Agreed, the pattern of logic behind it is really inconsistent: on one hand, absorbing damage from allies to charge up Absorb would be awesome, if it weren't for this stupid Energy drain mechanic on Nyx that drained fixed amounts of Energy for every amount of flat damage absorbed (which means a single shot from an ally can immediately end Absorb and leave Nyx with zero Energy, effectively killing her on the spot in higher-level content). Removing ally damage interaction completely from Assimilate begs the question of whether or not the baseline effect is a troll mechanic: if it is, then it shouldn't be on Absorb either, and if it's not, then it should exist on both. Keeping a broken effect on one version and throwing the baby with the bathwater in the other makes no sense to me, and the fact that this wasn't addressed at all in Nyx's rework suggests she only received surface-level work from designers who weren't really familiar with her.

It can be useful on Absorb if you don't have trolling allies who drain it completely, that's by design. However, I wouldn't mind them having a look at how much it drains again. I'm not going to repeat it here, see this post, and maybe the whole thread. I did a quick test with the new Absorb:

Spoiler

Assimilate on the other hand is much more suited for self defence, due to its reduced range.

Note: That was actually you I've responded to in that last thread, Teridax.

Edited by Kontrollo
clarification; note

• 2 weeks later...

@SenorClipClop  I would be curious to see your build.  I am a Nyx fan but haven't put nearly as much time into her post rework because I haven't really enjoyed some of the changes made.  But i'd like to have a proper build that comes with the new Nyx way in mind.  It is my hope that such a build will help me understand/appreciate the new Nyx.  I'd prefer not to leave her in the dust until if/when DE decides to look at her again.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

I would be curious to see your build. I am a Nyx fan but haven't put nearly as much time into her post rework because I haven't really enjoyed some of the changes made.  But i'd like to have a proper build that comes with the new Nyx way in mind.  It is my hope that such a build will help me understand/appreciate the new Nyx.  I'd prefer not to leave her in the dust until if/when DE decides to look at her again.

Happy to share!

I don't really even have much of a proper build right now, so I won't bother with a picture link.

Energy Siphon Aura, no Exlius (not super invested in Nyx yet), 0 Forma

P. Flow, P.Con (155%), Streamline (130%), Stretch, Augur Reach (175%), Intensify (130%). Vitality, Mind Freak.

Just a simple balanced build. It's worth noting that with this setup, MC lasts for around 45 seconds, PB strips 100% of Shields/Armor, and Chaos extends to just under 44 meters. I tend to start new {and "new") frames with a build like this just to get a feel, and I haven't at all taken a dive into properly building. I got distracted by the new Wukong. Anyway, I think what I've worked out is my preferred gameplay methods over my preferred setup. I described how I play above. Chaos as your bread an butter, always-up skill. PB as a target picker (and Chaos'd enemy softener) kinda like Seeking Shuriken. MC follows into this if a PB target is an enemy I want as a friend -- Eximus, Bombard, maybe even a Healer or Shield Osprey. Absorb is still a bit weird and has a tendency to get me in trouble or just whiff entirely, but sometimes I get it working and I have ~12 seconds of extra weapon damage, so I try to find a good MC candidate in that window, soften 'em up and throw shotgun blasts at it. And so far I've been doing okay as a backline control mage in run-of-the-mill Fissures and Sorties. I have died here and there a few rotations into Arbitrations (she still squish), but then I'm also running a super basic build and haven't done much experimentation. I'm sure Tenno with deeper Nyx knowledge could definitely show me up.

Her rework was an improvement to her 1. There is a lot of debate over the changes to her Psychic Bolts (I use it now more than I ever did in higher level content). There's good and bad to the recast changes to Chaos, but I'm fine with it. 

Her 4 is still complete garbage without the augment. I tested with high power strength in a Nyx Bonus damage arbitration and still couldn't scratch enemies with Absorb. It needs to not be based on enemy damage primarily because, as we all know from all reflect-damage effects in the game, enemies can't hurt each other. It needs to have it's own stand alone strength (or purpose) that is further modified by absorbing enemy damage. Give a hold-button function to consume energy faster, multiplying the damage giving you control over your own damage and energy cost rather than letting your enemies and (Stalker forbid) your allies from having 100% of the control.

Unfortunately, they've done what they've done. They won't be touching her again for years.

1 hour ago, SenorClipClop said:

Happy to share!

I don't really even have much of a proper build right now, so I won't bother with a picture link.

Energy Siphon Aura, no Exlius (not super invested in Nyx yet), 0 Forma

P. Flow, P.Con (155%), Streamline (130%), Stretch, Augur Reach (175%), Intensify (130%). Vitality, Mind Freak.

Just a simple balanced build. It's worth noting that with this setup, MC lasts for around 45 seconds, PB strips 100% of Shields/Armor, and Chaos extends to just under 44 meters. I tend to start new {and "new") frames with a build like this just to get a feel, and I haven't at all taken a dive into properly building. I got distracted by the new Wukong. Anyway, I think what I've worked out is my preferred gameplay methods over my preferred setup. I described how I play above. Chaos as your bread an butter, always-up skill. PB as a target picker (and Chaos'd enemy softener) kinda like Seeking Shuriken. MC follows into this if a PB target is an enemy I want as a friend -- Eximus, Bombard, maybe even a Healer or Shield Osprey. Absorb is still a bit weird and has a tendency to get me in trouble or just whiff entirely, but sometimes I get it working and I have ~12 seconds of extra weapon damage, so I try to find a good MC candidate in that window, soften 'em up and throw shotgun blasts at it. And so far I've been doing okay as a backline control mage in run-of-the-mill Fissures and Sorties. I have died here and there a few rotations into Arbitrations (she still squish), but then I'm also running a super basic build and haven't done much experimentation. I'm sure Tenno with deeper Nyx knowledge could definitely show me up.

It's good that it's a no forma build as i'm eeking a bit close for comfort on how much forma I have atm.  So i'm passively getting more.  Though I don't imagine with nyx prime that i'll need more than 1 or 2 forma to optimize her.  Is there a reason why you picked mind freak over any of her other augments?  Do you go out of your way for that damage bonus from absorb?

19 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Do you go out of your way for that damage bonus from absorb?

Not often. I don't really use Absorb all that much with this build, maybe once every 5-10min of mission time on average. I tend to use it opportunisitcally when getting mobbed by mostly weaker enemies. Comboing 2 -> short 4 -> 1 allows Absorb to kill things and you to nab a (usually stronger) prone enemy that Absorb doesn't kill.

22 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Is there a reason why you picked mind freak over any of her other augments

It's entertaining. Also, it's worth noting that the % damage multiplier you see in the HUD's effects section is only showing the extra damage provided for the base ability -- Mind Freak is still quintupling the damage on top of that visible number.

For a snapshot idea of what I love about this mod, try this. Head to the Simulacrum and spawn two of the same high-level enemy (I use a Heavy Gunner). Hit one with MC and sit back. Next, try the same thing but start with PB and keep it active -- you're getting more damage onto your MC buddy and the other enemy has no DR. Finally, try this second strategy with Mind Freak and watch your minion completely shred the other enemy. It's ridiculous.

One weakness is that your MC buddy sometimes isn't the most aggressive, preferring to follow you over attacking if you get too far away. A benefit is that your buddy gets all the perks it would normally -- Eximus auras (which work for you now), summoned traps and minions, AoE and, in the Heavy Gunner's case, high chance to stagger-lock with its rapid Impact procs.