Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframes (Ability Damage) Change

xV3NOMx

Greetings Tenno!

I am a veteran Player who have enjoyed the many updates and changes to Warframe within the last three to four years. I have played the game with each Warframe and made several builds based on their ability strengths. However, there is one change to all warframes that would benefit the Players even more.... changing the damage type of the Warframe's ability.

Currently, there are waframes that can cause one or many types of damage, such as Volt causes "electric" damage through his abilities or Saryn who can cast "corrosive, toxin or viral" damage. Their abilities are useful when playing the game, but it would be more effective if Players can change the ability damage type too.

My Suggestion (Based on Chroma): 

All warframes can alter their abilities' damage type (combined or uncombined) elemental attribute of the Player's choice. This change is performed by customizing warframe's emission color. Color choices are grouped into four categories with each category corresponding to a given element:

• red, magenta, brown, orange and bright yellow hues being Heat bHeat
  • blue and purple hues being Electricity bElectric 
  • green, lime, teal and dark yellow hues being Toxin b Toxin
  • white, grey, black, and some faded colors being Cold b Cold

When colors are combined they can do "corrosive, blast, viral, magnetic, radiation and gas" ability damage too. 

What do you think, Tenno?

Edited by xV3NOMx
  • Like 1

I don't know...

Volt is an electricity themed frame so it makes sense for him to deal electric damage, and same for the other frames' themes.

It'd be weird if I can turn Frost's 4 to deal heat damage.

Maybe we can come up with a common ground. For example, if Volt deals electric damage, we can only make him deal damage types which has electric on the combinations (magnetic, radiation, corrosive)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir_Carl said:

Maybe we can come up with a common ground. For example, if Volt deals electric damage, we can only make him deal damage types which has electric on the combinations (magnetic, radiation, corrosive)

I agree.

Perhaps the description was unclear, but I suggested that possibility with the first line:

"All warframes can alter their abilities to match any basic (combined or uncombined) elemental attribute of the player's choice."

If combined with their present ability, they could do "corrosive, blast, viral, magnetic and gas" ability damage.

[That is my exact purpose of this change to enable other possible ability damages against enemies.]

Thank you for your response, Tenno!

3 minutes ago, xV3NOMx said:

I agree.

Perhaps the description was unclear, but I suggested that possibility with the first line:

"All warframes can alter their abilities to match any basic (combined or uncombined) elemental attribute of the player's choice."

If combined with their present ability, they could do "corrosive, blast, viral, magnetic and gas" ability damage.

[That is my exact purpose of this change to enable other possible ability damages against enemies.]

Ah I see. I thought you meant by uncombined meaning I can put two heat colors then I'll deal heat damage. Thanks for clarifying

5 minutes ago, Sir_Carl said:

Ah I see. I thought you meant by uncombined meaning I can put two heat colors then I'll deal heat damage. Thanks for clarifying

I updated my post to include that reference for others to understand too.

Thanks again, Tenno!

Edited by xV3NOMx
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sir_Carl said:

I don't know...

Volt is an electricity themed frame so it makes sense for him to deal electric damage, and same for the other frames' themes.

It'd be weird if I can turn Frost's 4 to deal heat damage.

I think it would work better if say his base element was cold, so using red color would make him have blast, or blue would be magnetic, green would be viral and maybe white would make it do 25% more ability damage?

5 hours ago, (XB1)Demon Intellect said:

I think it would work better if say his base element was cold, so using red color would make him have blast, or blue would be magnetic, green would be viral and maybe white would make it do 25% more ability damage?

I agree.

When changing the color or mixing them could enable additional damage possibilities. 

Edited by xV3NOMx

8 minutes ago, xV3NOMx said:

I agree.

When changing the color or mixing them could enable additional damage possibilities. 

I just meant color could be added to whatever frames base element. Like if you did a blue with ember it would become radiation or white would be blast. This could also be tied to emmisive energy color like chromas so you can have whatever actual energy color you want.

On 2019-06-22 at 1:00 AM, (XB1)Demon Intellect said:

I just meant color could be added to whatever frames base element. Like if you did a blue with ember it would become radiation or white would be blast. This could also be tied to emmisive energy color like chromas so you can have whatever actual energy color you want.

That is the similar idea.

Normally, Volt uses "electric" damage with his fourth ability, but with my suggested change, he could do either a base damage (cold, electric, heat or toxin), or add another color to do a combination damage (corrosive, blast, viral, magnetic, radiation or gas).

[The ability effect will remain the same, but the damage type can change.]

I know you meant to only change one color for combination damage only, but my suggestion will enable more alternative damage types as needed (example: Nightwave - kill enemies with one damage type objectives).

Edited by xV3NOMx

The element is as much a part of the identity of a frame as the abilities themselves. It would make 0 thematic sense to have Mag deal Viral or Khora to inflict Cold. This doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the IPS "elements" that some frames already use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peterc3 said:

The element is as much a part of the identity of a frame as the abilities themselves. It would make 0 thematic sense to have Mag deal Viral or Khora to inflict Cold. This doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the IPS "elements" that some frames already use.

There are frames that embrace a certain element such as Ember (Heat) and Frost (cold), but enabling their abilities to do alternative damage type will help them to be more effective against enemies that are immune to their elements.

[Their signature abilities will remain intact, but instead of doing one basic type of damage (heat, cold, electric or toxin) they can do alternative damages based on the Players' choice.]

*If Mag can use it's Polarize ability to inflict "Viral" damage instead, will be awesome!

What will you do with Revenant that deals faction-specific damage (e.g. void damage against sentients, gas damage against infested, corrosive against Grineer, etc...)?

Also, will corrosive Ember be as effective as Saryn? Or will fire Saryn basically be another Ember? I don't know if this makes much sense...

People HATE THIS on Chroma, why would DE subject every frame to this idiocy? And this would be going against the explicit themes of a frame? Volt for example is supposed to be the electric frame, it would make no sense for him to suddenly be using Toxin, or Gas.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nslay said:

What will you do with Revenant that deals faction-specific damage (e.g. void damage against sentients, gas damage against infested, corrosive against Grineer, etc...)?

Also, will corrosive Ember be as effective as Saryn? Or will fire Saryn basically be another Ember? I don't know if this makes much sense...

Each Warframe will be able to inflict alternative types of damage with their abilities as needed, by the Players' choice.

[There will be instances where Players may not make any changes to their frames ability damage type, based on the enemy's weakness.]

*Ember's abilities with "corrosive" damage could be more effective.

14 hours ago, Atsia said:

People HATE THIS on Chroma, why would DE subject every frame to this idiocy? And this would be going against the explicit themes of a frame? Volt for example is supposed to be the electric frame, it would make no sense for him to suddenly be using Toxin, or Gas.

Enabling each warframe to have alternative ability-damage types. can make them more effective against any enemy threat without limitations.

[Volt will still do his normal ability attacks, but with alternative effective damage that is suitable for the enemy.]

2 minutes ago, xV3NOMx said:

Enabling each warframe to have alternative ability-damage types. can make them more effective against any enemy threat without limitations.

[Volt will still do his normal ability attacks, but with alternative effective damage that is suitable for the enemy.]

Your limitation is your energy color. You're cutting into fashion frame and people (myself included) aren't going to like that. 

Admittedly I had a similar Idea to deal with Mesas Regulator because I have a burning desire to see that stop being an Exalted "weapon" so DE can stop meddling with Exalted weapons to try to rein Mesa in by throwing every other Exalted user under the bus. 

9 hours ago, Oreades said:

Your limitation is your energy color. You're cutting into fashion frame and people (myself included) aren't going to like that. 

When using a "Fashion Frame," a Player has two additional appearance slots they can use for other skins and color schemes.

[Yes, my suggestion will disrupt their ability-damage type based on the colors chosen, but it will compliment their frames style and game-play as well.]

*Personally, I like using colors of fire with all of my frames, and I would like to have a chance to show the power of the flame toward all enemies through each warframes' abilities.

It's doable, but I'd ask 2 things:

-It hurts fashion. Some elements arguably less useful than others. Some are just useless. Some are terrible against certain faction. I certainly don't want to alter my color for a specific reason other than fashion. Nothing good ever happened in this game when you tie power with fashion.

-There are plenty of abilities with physical damage. Unless you want to add flat elemental damage or you have to decide the new composition of damage. It's unwanted sometimes especially when it's replacing slash damage.

On 2019-06-23 at 10:43 PM, Marvelous_A said:

It's doable, but I'd ask 2 things:

-It hurts fashion. Some elements arguably less useful than others. Some are just useless. Some are terrible against certain faction. I certainly don't want to alter my color for a specific reason other than fashion. Nothing good ever happened in this game when you tie power with fashion.

-There are plenty of abilities with physical damage. Unless you want to add flat elemental damage or you have to decide the new composition of damage. It's unwanted sometimes especially when it's replacing slash damage.

There may be subtle indifference to my suggestion, but it can make each warframe more versatile.

• Yes, my suggestion will disrupt Players' ability-damage type based on the colors chosen, but it will compliment their frames style and game-play as well.

• My suggestion does offer only "elemental" damage type customization which is based on Chroma's design, but if the colors are evenly divided for all thirteen damage types, then it could include "Slash" as needed.

Color Wheel: https://i0.wp.com/www.glencoe.com/sec/art/art_quests/images/basic_04_colorwheel.gif (Black, Grey and White colors included in the middle)

*I do not know how many Players would prefer "Slash, Impact or Puncture" damage to elemental ones.

Would this make frames more useable for damaging? 

Yes. 

Do I think it should be done for all frames? No

I have a bias for things being thematic, I don't like patchwork abilities that are there just cause it looks cool or is very effective. 

Volt is an electric frame if it starts throwing Toxin effects I would be really disappointed. 

However if there is some means to utilize electric into a thematically correct damage I would be supporting it wholeheartedly. 

Eg, electro conversion: enemies that die because of volts electric attack do the following on death:

If enemy has shields a magnetic blast takes place around it (shield overload) . 

If enemy has armor a radiation blast takes place around it (atomic decay of armor) . 

If enemy is pure flesh a corrosive blast takes place (and the thing literally explodes into a cloud of acid)

So having means to influence the damage output of an ability is nice, but it should have at least a Thread of thematic consistency. 

5 hours ago, xV3NOMx said:

Yes, my suggestion will disrupt Players' ability-damage type based on the colors chosen, but it will compliment their frames style and game-play as well. 

It will disrupt players fashion choices is literally an entire reason DE that won't this. Players very vocally hate this, and want it changed on Chroma. There's literally no way to get the majority to want this because we already have it and STILL don't want it.

Horrible idea in attaching it to fashion. I already hate adjusting cosmetics If I want to change up Chroma. I hate going though the myriad of layers just to change faction reputation sigils per frame.

Things that adjust a frames performance and how it acts should be localized to the Upgrades section. Adjusting a frames natural elemental power to be a combined more effective element that does even more damage is a augment. Augments are mods. If you want a radiation, magnetic etc Volt powers. That's a augment.

I'm all for more broad augments for frame powers. Specially then its on a frame by frame basis for it to make sense instead of a obfuscated color way that has little control over all 4 powers and will lead to way way too many special instances that will need to be adjusted and confusing early players that much more.

ChromaticBlade2.pngWhile it still relies on specific colors, its controlled and meaningful.

Edited by Firetempest

I honestly dont like this, some warframes are identified by the elementals they have for example saryn with spores she does corrosive, and if i put toxin on volt he would do it a better spread which makes saryn to be disowned, then there is frost who can be built for viral and cut their health, combining  it with equinox that does toxin and a volt that strips armor this is completely broken. I do like how chroma is all in one elemental but ist still limited, if this does get added this would mean the damage numbers on warframe abilities need to be reduced. I do like how it is now and how the game makes us change warframes depending on the mission, but going volt with full range radiation elemental is most what Ill need as his 4th ability always procs status so they can kill their own while I use his 2 to move to another place and so on

18 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Would this make frames more useable for damaging?  Yes. 

Do I think it should be done for all frames? No

So having means to influence the damage output of an ability is nice, but it should have at least a Thread of thematic consistency. 

I understand your view on this topic and agree that it can be disruptive to have non-theme changes added to each warframe.

[ I do like how "Augment" mods compliment the warframe's abilities through their desired effects, but they are also very limited.]

Having a new system for Players to modify their warframes to inflict a certain damage type without the use of mods, like weapons or companions, the color system seems to be the only logical choice.