Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframes (Ability Damage) Change

xV3NOMx

1 minute ago, Atsia said:

I'm pretty sure DE had said they don't want to do that BECAUSE it could make your abilities go from reliable to useless depending on what mixes. Like Volt and Frost wouldn't really be able to work together cause Magnetic is a useless damage type.

True, but I think with how short status durations generally are, and even spammability is limited by both energy, cast time and range, that unless the players are purposely going for combos, it wouldn't hinder normal gameplay. Secondly is that those abilities generally aren't used because they are already weak and useless.

At the end of the day, it's just an idea and maybe DE may reconsider and pursue something similar. Since I don't want to derail the thread, there is no point in me in trying to expand or detail the idea in depth.

On 2019-07-10 at 10:54 PM, SkornedBeef said:

I dont like the idea personally but thats just me. I like to use colors as colors thats it. Leave the changes to the mods.

Your disagreement is noted, SkornedBeef.

Thanks for your response, Tenno!

On 2019-07-11 at 9:37 AM, Atsia said:

Except those limitation are SUPPOSED to be there. Damage types themselves are what needs to be changed not making a bandaid that's just gonna piss off most players and will only legitimately help 1 or 2 frames since all the frames that have high damage abilities or are intended DPS don't struggle because of damage types (except for Ember). And DE for sure isn't gonna let you break the identifying theme like this.

There are other frames that embrace a certain element such as Frost (Cold) and Mag (Magnetic), but enabling their abilities to do alternative damage type will help them to be more effective against enemies that are immune to their elements.

[ There will be instances where Players may not make any changes to their frames ability damage type, based on the enemy's weakness. ]

Thank you for your response, Tenno!

2 hours ago, xV3NOMx said:

There are other frames that embrace a certain element such as Frost (Cold) and Mag (Magnetic), but enabling their abilities to do alternative damage type will help them to be more effective against enemies that are immune to their elements.

[ There will be instances where Players may not make any changes to their frames ability damage type, based on the enemy's weakness. ]

Except those 2 aren't supposed to be throwing out high damage. Both are more CC frames, so they don't need any of the higher damage types.

22 hours ago, Atsia said:

Except those 2 aren't supposed to be throwing out high damage. Both are more CC frames, so they don't need any of the higher damage types.

I disagree.

Mag and Frost can kill enemies in long ranges and in great numbers of low-level enemies, but their abilities are less effective on others of higher tier missions.

[ My suggestion will enable them to be equally effective as other Warframes. ]

On 2019-06-22 at 3:29 AM, xV3NOMx said:

Greetings Tenno!

I am a veteran Player who have enjoyed the many updates and changes to Warframe within the last three to four years. I have played the game with each Warframe and made several builds based on their ability strengths. However, there is one change to all warframes that would benefit the Players even more.... changing the damage type of the Warframe's ability.

Currently, there are waframes that can cause one or many types of damage, such as Volt causes "electric" damage through his abilities or Saryn who can cast "corrosive, toxin or viral" damage. Their abilities are useful when playing the game, but it would be more effective if Players can change the ability damage type too.

My Suggestion (Based on Chroma): 

All warframes can alter their abilities' damage type (combined or uncombined) elemental attribute of the Player's choice. This change is performed by customizing warframe's emission color. Color choices are grouped into four categories with each category corresponding to a given element:

• red, magenta, brown, orange and bright yellow hues being Heat bHeat
  • blue and purple hues being Electricity bElectric 
  • green, lime, teal and dark yellow hues being Toxin b Toxin
  • white, grey, black, and some faded colors being Cold b Cold

When colors are combined they can do "corrosive, blast, viral, magnetic, radiation and gas" ability damage too. 

What do you think, Tenno?

The idea isn't awful, but i don't think that all warframes should require that. I can suggest you some solutions:

Solution A: Apply the damage type on Warframes that doesn't have a specific damage type.

This would work well with warframes that doesn't have any elemental damage type. Rhino would fit for cold damage type, and turn into a support enemy slower, or Nova could shock enemies with her 1st ability.

Solution B: Apply the damage type on Warframes that has a specific damage type, but combine them.

This would make Warframes such as Volt, Saryn or Frost to deal the combination of two elements. A Frost that can cause Viral with his fourth ability? Might be interesting. Saryn that lays spores that not only corrodes your armor, but also burns you as well? Could work. Volt generating a shock that can either cause radiation or magnetic energy? Vauban laying tesla coils that can either corrode your armor or cause radiation? Sounds cool. Ember creating a pillar of volatile energy? Might work.

(Also, attempted to get some real life logic)

Solution C : Apply the damage type on Warframes that has a specific damage type, but override them.

Same as before, except instead of combining, it changes the warframe's damage type. Like Ember causing cold damage, or Volt going into toxin. Although it wouldn't work well.

Edited by BombtailsTheFox
Unnecessary Emoji

15 hours ago, NigglesAU said:

Wouldnt this make modding for elementals kind of pointless  

No.

Players will still have to rely on their weapons as needed when their energy is at insufficient level or to defend against enemies who are not affected by the ability damage type.

My suggestion can provide more variety of damage types for warframe abilities, but not all enemies have the same weaknesses on the same mission.

15 hours ago, BombtailsTheFox said:

The idea isn't awful, but i don't think that all warframes should require that. I can suggest you some solutions:

Solution A: Apply the damage type on Warframes that doesn't have a specific damage type.

This would work well with warframes that doesn't have any elemental damage type. Rhino would fit for cold damage type, and turn into a support enemy slower, or Nova could shock enemies with her 1st ability.

Solution B: Apply the damage type on Warframes that has a specific damage type, but combine them.

This would make Warframes such as Volt, Saryn or Frost to deal the combination of two elements. A Frost that can cause Viral with his fourth ability? Might be interesting. Saryn that lays spores that not only corrodes your armor, but also burns you as well? Could work. Volt generating a shock that can either cause radiation or magnetic energy? Vauban laying tesla coils that can either corrode your armor or cause radiation? Sounds cool. Ember creating a pillar of volatile energy? Might work.

(Also, attempted to get some real life logic)

Solution C : Apply the damage type on Warframes that has a specific damage type, but override them.

Same as before, except instead of combining, it changes the warframe's damage type. Like Ember causing cold damage, or Volt going into toxin. Although it wouldn't work well.

Your solutions (B & C) are similar to my suggestion is intended for: to enable alternative combination of elemental damage types or to add additional effects to their existing elemental ability damage types.

I do not know if it is possible to change individual abilities to have alternative damage types specifically, unless there is a way to change each individual ability effect color type. [ Example: Saryn "Spores" ability effect can be changed to color red, while the other abilities' effects colors are blue, green and orange. ]

This suggestion doesn't fix the actual issue. The real issue is that most of the damage types in the game bad/useless. We should be looking to give bad damage types a compelling reason to use them.

An example could be to something like when an enemy affected by an electric proc takes additional critical damage.

22 hours ago, Ohmlink said:

This suggestion doesn't fix the actual issue. The real issue is that most of the damage types in the game bad/useless. We should be looking to give bad damage types a compelling reason to use them.

An example could be to something like when an enemy affected by an electric proc takes additional critical damage.

I agree, but there are limitations.

My suggestion can provide alternative damage types for warfame abilities that are normally useless or bad, but Proc damage is based on Status Effect game mechanics which can not be changed.

(Info about Status Effect can be found here - https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Status_Effect).

also...

There are warframes with abilities that do not cause any damage or harm to enemies, which also can not be changed by my suggestion. 

On 2019-06-23 at 12:27 PM, Oreades said:

Your limitation is your energy color. You're cutting into fashion frame and people (myself included) aren't going to like that. 

Admittedly I had a similar Idea to deal with Mesas Regulator because I have a burning desire to see that stop being an Exalted "weapon" so DE can stop meddling with Exalted weapons to try to rein Mesa in by throwing every other Exalted user under the bus. 

they need to change it's classification and make it more like the weapons that still use stat sticks because it is not a "exalted weapon" in the full scene unless they change it so that it is no longer auto aim and cost energy per round fired and while they are at it let us mod those weapons.  ( i would love it if Valk, baruke, ecal, and ivara could do what gara does but with out the special effects, Artemis bow would have a draw time and work like the cenos, excal and baruke would lose access to their energy waves in this forms with similar happening to monkey boy)

I would like to see similar changes to Warframe, if my suggestions are not acceptable by the game Developers.

However. enabling each warframe to have alternative ability-damage types. can make them more effective against any enemy threat without limitations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2019-08-02 at 3:29 PM, xV3NOMx said:

I would like to see similar changes to Warframe, if my suggestions are not acceptable by the game Developers.

However. enabling each warframe to have alternative ability-damage types. can make them more effective against any enemy threat without limitations.

I would like to see some changes made.