Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Cyst Event

Xolot

In videogame history, the infestation events often leave a mark in the community, but in ours, it began strong and while its still going on, it never managed to have much impact besides loads of people enraged because the cyst messed up their fashionframe.

It feels a bit sad as it seems like not many remember that event, when the door started to get infested, and growls came from beyond the door, and the expectation when strange cysts started appearing and you wondered if you would find an infested player or not in order to see what was happening.

In my opinion, this event lost its drive due to 2 factors.

- It affected Fashionframe, a cardinal sin in Warframe. This factor could've been avoided by making the cyst dyeable, and they still could do it, but probably won't as its forgotten by now.

- Instead of being a standalone event, it had ties with Helminth Room, and seemed like the doorway to something big.... that lead to nothing, I mean, Helminth Charger is great but.... Well, that's it, another pet, all that buildup for a pet that isn't what we could call a wonder in utility (looks cool though). The Downfall of this infestation event was that it tried to be somewhat else and then was left short.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I would welcome a second infestation wave, making use of the fact that other strains exists, but this time, tied to nothing but itself and some needed lore about infestation, the only faction we know nothing about (seriously, we know more about the Orokin than what we do about Infestation apart from Ancients and Helminth, that is mostly Orokin lore). 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Xolot said:

It feels a bit sad as it seems like not many remember that event

What event? I don’t recall there ever being an event associated with this. If it is so minor and unimportant that everyone forgets about it, that is probably the issue.

I thought by ‘Cyst Event’ you meant Plague Star. Not the helminth cyst.

The Helminth cyst is basically the Ghastly Gibus of Warframe.

You get it on your frame from new frames and you will be marked as a noob while you have it.

I don't get why you would want to color it though, it being pink is the most obnoxious and funny at the same time, so it retains its meme value.

• Like 1

Yet another thing that seemed to be a cool reveal/teaser when it was introduced, only to become an abandoned project that still leaves our brand new Warframes fugly for a week with no way to opt out.

Maybe one day DE will get to continuing their plans for that room. I'm not really holding my breath though.

They really should just let people "cure" it the second they are infected and for the sake of the fact that it only spreads from infected frames, just allow it to spread for the standard 7 days it would have taken for it to mature. 

The devs who care get their spread mechanic and players who care get their uninterrupted fashion frame. win-win if you ask me. 

• Like 1

Thing is that it wasn't an official event, but it was one that had people talking about it for a long while, after that it left no mark, as it was barelly nothing. but infestation in our warframes has so much potential, well, Nidus itself has a lot of potential in that regards, but the same way it happened with the Karma system, it isn't being used.

I would begin a concept about different strains and effects, but might be too much work for something that will be overlooked really fast, judging by how much people cared about the cyst in its prime time (mostly because it gave no loot but infested charger, and we are scavengers, we are drawn to loot and nothing else, lets be honest here)

7 hours ago, Xolot said:

- It affected Fashionframe, a cardinal sin in Warframe. This factor could've been avoided by making the cyst dyeable, and they still could do it, but probably won't as its forgotten by now.

I expect that I am a rare case, but it's more than fashion frame for me. I have an extremely mild Trypophobia that, for some strange reason, gets triggered by the Cyst. It honestly put me off of the game for years until some friends/family got me to return last week. Needing to wait a week to use a frame is kind of annoying. I am not joking at all when I say that I bought Anthem and played it for months because I viewed it as Warframe without the cyst. 

49 minutes ago, (XB1)Timidobserver said:

I expect that I am a rare case, but it's more than fashion frame for me. I have an extremely mild Trypophobia that, for some strange reason, gets triggered by the Cyst. It honestly put me off of the game for years until some friends/family got me to return last week. Needing to wait a week to use a frame is kind of annoying. I am not joking at all when I say that I bought Anthem and played it for months because I viewed it as Warframe without the cyst. 

Wtf?

hace 8 horas, (XB1)Timidobserver dijo:

Wasn't Trypophobia related to clusters of holes/bumps? To make it clear, I'm not doubting you, It's just that I'm curious, didn't know that Trypophobia could also be affected by a cyst alone.

Just wondering, do you use the Warframe in the right side? In the left side the cyst is barelly visible, but in the right side it becomes way more noticeable

Edited by Xolot

6 hours ago, Xolot said:

Wasn't Trypophobia related to clusters of holes/bumps? To make it clear, I'm not doubting you, It's just that I'm curious, didn't know that Trypophobia could also be affected by a cyst alone.

Just wondering, do you use the Warframe in the right side? In the left side the cyst is barelly visible, but in the right side it becomes way more noticeable

That's exactly what it's supposed to refer to. A single cyst is definitely different. Worth mentioning trypophobia not recognized as a mental illness, it's literally just a naturally revolting image that some people over exaggerate their response to. It's human nature to get uncomfortable by those images, doesn't make it a phobia. 

Ps, only psychopaths use over the left shoulder view 😛

43 minutes ago, Firetrucksrule said:

Worth mentioning trypophobia not recognized as a mental illness, it's literally just a naturally revolting image that some people over exaggerate their response to. 

Huh... No. It's not recognized as a mental illness but it remains a phobia, people don't "overexagerate" their response to it. They just are naturally a lot more uncomfortable in front of it.

Invalidating a condition because you've read the first paragraph of wikipedia is kinda stupid.

Regardless that cyst has no reason to be a forced thing anyway. Getting read of it instantly should be a basic option. Even warframe partners dislike this thing as it gets in the way of fashion frame by being an unwanted part of the design. Not sure why they stick on enforcing it.

25 minutes ago, Shelusine said:

It's not recognized as a mental illness but it remains a phobia, people don't "overexagerate" their response to it.

Huhh, what do you think a phobia is if not a mental illness?

28 minutes ago, Shelusine said:

Invalidating a condition because you've read the first paragraph of wikipedia is kinda stupid.

Maybe, but invalidating someone's comment because you assume they got their information from wikipedia is a least a little bit more stupid. I got that from talking to my psychologist, from talking to my old psychiatrist and from talking to my old therapist, from everything I've ever read about the 'disorder', and last but most definitely not least from its exclusion from the DSM-5. I'm going to be taking the word of three separate and respected mental health professionals and the American Psychiatric Association over you mate.

hace 48 minutos, Shelusine dijo:

Regardless that cyst has no reason to be a forced thing anyway. Getting read of it instantly should be a basic option. Even warframe partners dislike this thing as it gets in the way of

fashion frame by being an unwanted part of the design. Not sure why they stick on enforcing it.

If you could get rid of it inmediatelly would you know about helminth charger? Unless you checked the wiki, most people wouldn't even ask about it, forever missing content. The cyst wouldn't be as problematic if fashionframe wasn't so prominent by now, if people outraged so hard for a small cyst, imagine how many would pop a vein if they suddenly got something like Kos Parasite

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Firetrucksrule said:

Huhh, what do you think a phobia is if not a mental illness?

You make it sounds like I said it wasn't a mental illness while I said that it wasn't recognized as such. That's 2 different thing. If intense anxiety or fear is involved it falls under the category of specific phobia which can include anything as long as the response matches that of what a phobia does. Which is why I mentioned the first paragraph thing, in fact you should read about mental health as a whole tbh.

11 hours ago, Firetrucksrule said:

Maybe, but invalidating someone's comment because you assume they got their information from wikipedia is a least a little bit more stupid. I got that from talking to my psychologist, from talking to my old psychiatrist and from talking to my old therapist, from everything I've ever read about the 'disorder', and last but most definitely not least from its exclusion from the DSM-5. I'm going to be taking the word of three separate and respected mental health professionals and the American Psychiatric Association over you mate.

Honestly, I doubt so. I can't picture a professional saying such fallacy. 

11 hours ago, Xolot said:

f you could get rid of it inmediatelly would you know about helminth charger? Unless you checked the wiki, most people wouldn't even ask about it, forever missing content. The cyst wouldn't be as problematic if fashionframe wasn't so prominent by now, if people outraged so hard for a small cyst, imagine how many would pop a vein if they suddenly got something like Kos Parasite

So.... every frame should get the cyst to remind you that the helminth exist instead of making a small notification box the first time you get it to explain what it does ? No, that's just terrible design.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Xolot said:

It's just the word I found for it. I am sure that there is a more appropriate word, but regardless, the cyst bothers me enough that I quit the game for a long time over it. Even now, the only reason I am playing is due to friends/family. I would pay to be able to remove it instantly.

hace 9 horas, Shelusine dijo:

So.... every frame should get the cyst to remind you that the helminth exist instead of making a small notification box the first time you get it to explain what it does ? No, that's just terrible design.

Actually... Yes, considering how Warframes and Helminth are related, its a miracle the whole warframe doesn't become a huge cyst, or mutate in weird ways. not counting that if it didn't have an incubation period no one would be able to get it, as most people would eliminate it as soon as it appeared, making it an useless contagion mechanic, and over time, making the Helminth Charger the rarest pet as no new player would be able to get it due to most players being vaccined.

To appeal to the Fashionframers, DE would probably have to turn the Cyst into some kind of decoration badge (Like Loki Prime's) and having it equipped could not only allow the user to spread the disease, but also craft the Helminth Charger, might be the best way to reach a middle ground. 

Having a text box explaining something, or even Helminth itself telling you how to do something has never been Warframe's way, tutorials are quite scarce in this game  

hace 8 horas, (XB1)Timidobserver dijo:

It's just the word I found for it. I am sure that there is a more appropriate word, but regardless, the cyst bothers me enough that I quit the game for a long time over it. Even now, the only reason I am playing is due to friends/family. I would pay to be able to remove it instantly.

Well, its more or less the idea, that the cyst is disgusting and unnerving to look at, you must really have a hard time in infested tilesets, or even with the Infested Star. 

I Might start a topic in the Concept subforum for the "Badge" approach to the Cyst, if its modified could help you be able to keep the mechanic going while not suffering by looking at a disgusting Cyst, replacing it instead with something similar to Sekharas

Edited by Xolot

11 hours ago, (XB1)Timidobserver said:

I'm sorry, but really if you're so bothered by the cyst, as much as you say you are, then why are you playing warframe at all when the infested are a thing. They got more going on than the cyst ffs, and you only stopped playing because of it? Thats so stupid. I can see it only being annoying because of fashion, and if the small growth on the neck of your frame bothers you more than the source, something doesn't add up, and it's surprising you made it as far as you did in the game. I really am sorry for coming off like a jerk, but that just sounds ridiculous to stop playing over a cyst, and not have quit in the first place due to the source of the cyst, the infested ((or other frames)), I did not know how to sugar coat it.

Edited by (PS4)ErydisTheLucario

On 2019-06-22 at 4:10 PM, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

Yeah that wasn't a event. It just happened when people were able to open up the Helminth room with Nidus and was followed by a week of wondering and panic on what it means lol

And no way to remove it... they had to add that in later after it pissed a ton of people off. You could drain it but it would come back.

hace 3 horas, (PS4)ErydisTheLucario dijo:

I'm sorry, but really if you're so bothered by the cyst, as much as you say you are, then why are you playing warframe at all when the infested are a thing. They got more going on than the cyst ffs, and you only stopped playing because of it? Thats so stupid. I can see it only being annoying because of fashion, and if the small growth on the neck of your frame bothers you more than the source, something doesn't add up, and it's surprising you made it as far as you did in the game. I really am sorry for coming off like a jerk, but that just sounds ridiculous to stop playing over a cyst, and not have quit in the first place due to the source of the cyst, the infested ((or other frames)), I did not know how to sugar coat it.

It is a bit weird, but we can't know for sure, it might be the combination of Cyst+little tentacle what causes that effect, or any other factor, phobias are incredibly diverse.

I personally don't care about people that don't want the Cyst cause of fashionframe, but if someone has an issue like this phobia, there has to be a solution to the problem that doesn't involve negating the whole mechanic to someone

On 2019-06-24 at 12:11 PM, Xolot said:

Well, its more or less the idea, that the cyst is disgusting and unnerving to look at, you must really have a hard time in infested tilesets, or even with the Infested Star. 

I Might start a topic in the Concept subforum for the "Badge" approach to the Cyst, if its modified could help you be able to keep the mechanic going while not suffering by looking at a disgusting Cyst, replacing it instead with something similar to Sekharas

I am fine with infested. It's just the cyst. Weird right? I am not sure what the badge approach means, but I personally don't see a huge issue with adding a hide cyst option in settings. I don't think it would harm anyone's experience or take much resources, but I seriously doubt that my issue would motivate DE to make any change to the game. Over the years they have gone as far as purposefully removing things that hid the cyst. For example, at one point Frost's Harka skin hid it(I bought it for that reason). That leads me to believe that they want it the way it is. 

On 2019-06-24 at 2:44 PM, (PS4)ErydisTheLucario said:

As I said earlier, I am playing because friends and family convinced me to play with them. No issues with infested just the cyst for whatever reason. No need to sugar coat anything for my sake. I get that it doesn't make sense. 

hace 22 horas, (XB1)Timidobserver dijo:

I am fine with infested. It's just the cyst. Weird right? I am not sure what the badge approach means, but I personally don't see a huge issue with adding a hide cyst option in settings. I don't think it would harm anyone's experience or take much resources, but I seriously doubt that my issue would motivate DE to make any change to the game. Over the years they have gone as far as purposefully removing things that hid the cyst. For example, at one point Frost's Harka skin hid it(I bought it for that reason). That leads me to believe that they want it the way it is. 

Helminth Sekhara

The Badge idea ended up being this topic, a Sekhara made from the Cyst

Easiest option would be simply hiding, but they really seem reluctant to it, and I kinda understand why, it loses clarity about who can infect who, and doesn't let you remember wich Frames can craft Helminth and wich can't. That's why I though that maybe this might be the end-all solution to problems both about phobia and fashionframe, a Sekhara that you can equip, no matter if you are infested or vaccinated, and that by being equipped, fulfills the same conditions as the cyst when present, regarding contagion and charger breeding

17 hours ago, Xolot said:

Helminth Sekhara

The Badge idea ended up being this topic, a Sekhara made from the Cyst

Easiest option would be simply hiding, but they really seem reluctant to it, and I kinda understand why, it loses clarity about who can infect who, and doesn't let you remember wich Frames can craft Helminth and wich can't. That's why I though that maybe this might be the end-all solution to problems both about phobia and fashionframe, a Sekhara that you can equip, no matter if you are infested or vaccinated, and that by being equipped, fulfills the same conditions as the cyst when present, regarding contagion and charger breeding

Great idea, I hope it ends up being picked up. It being something that they could sell probably helps.